The Ellen Degeneres Show

• Please log in to reply

3627 replies to this topic

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:03 PM

I didn't noticed the first time that Ellen looked teary-eyed when Sir Elton was singing, especially during "Tiny Dancer." Although I'd probably be sniffly if Elton John was on my talk show.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

There was just a really flattering article about Ellen in today's Chicago Tribune. It basically says that Ellen is a breath of fresh air and a natural as a talk show host. Props to Ellen for the comeback of a lifetime!

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:25 PM

Aw, Steve Martin had me in tears! Although I have to admit that I've been in love with him since "King Tut", so I knew already that he played banjo and juggled. I love physical humor, and Ellen is so good at playing along!

stellans

stellans

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

I loved all the 'challenge' things Ellen pulled out of the hat for Steve to do... and the rope part really got me, hee!

Jon Cryer was good too...Ducky!

Theresa

Theresa

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:11 PM

From the "living well is the best revenge" department.....

I thought it was great neither Ellen nor Steve mentioned Anne Heche. I was wondering if they would. And they had plenty of time to do it, since Steve was given three segments.

Wonder if Anne returns the favor on Friday, when she is supposed to be on "The View". I'm curious to see what, if anything, she will say about her relationship with Ellen. Probably will not say anything negative as Ellen is so popular now - hit talk show, hit movie, hit book. The last I heard of Anne she was doing a movie on TNT. How far they fall.

Edited by Theresa, Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:28 PM.

Bridget

Bridget

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:55 AM

It seemed pretty obvious that this show was taped before the Christmas holidays, judging by the way the audience howled whenever Steve Martin mentioned how his movie came out "a few weeks ago" and he wanted to read the reviews that probably hadn't been in the newspapers yet.

I also loved the "challenges," since I had no idea how multi-talented he was.

The King of Hearts dance was very funny, especially when he and Ellen were climbing all over each other to pick up the loose card.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

The last I heard of Anne she was doing a movie on TNT. How far they fall.

Actually, Anne Heche is about to appear on BWay, in a revival of Twentieth Century with Alec Baldwin. She last appeared in Proof and from all accounts she was quite good opposite Doogie...errr, I mean Neil Patrick Harris.

Playbill.com link

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

I think being a theater actress is a lofty goal, but I do think if Anne Heche had stayed on the track she was on when she co-starred with Harrison Ford in that Day/Night movie, she would have been doing big movies. Her personal life definitely had an impact on her career. It's possible that she aspired to a theater career all along, but I think someone who seems as ambitious as she did was gunning for the big movie star career.

Sorry I missed Steve Martin. Thankfully, there's Oxygen.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

I also loved the "challenges," since I had no idea how multi-talented he [Steve Martin] was.

The thought that went through my mind was, "When Steve Martin dies, this entire segment should be shown on every obituary to remind all the world how unbelievably wonderful he was."

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

Wonder if Anne returns the favor on Friday, when she is supposed to be on "The View".

Heh. I somehow read the "supposed to be on" part of that sentence and thought you meant she was going to be a guest on Ellen's show. Nearly had a seizure, I did.

It was nice to have a new show, but sort of irritating that it was so obviously pre-taped.

I also loved the fat reindeer comment.

chris2

chris2

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:28 PM

I don't get why they try to "pretend" the show wasn't taped before the holiday break. It's obvious that it was and nobody minds, so why?

I actually thought the Steve Martin segment was weak and Jon Cryer was actually better. Ellen is great with the monologues and the spontaneity but still needs to brush up on her inteviewing skills. Aside from the clip there was barely a mention of "Cheaper By The Dozen," and she still spends too much time gushing over her guests instead of asking them questions.

Sharmila

Sharmila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

I work multiple jobs and attend college, so I'm normally never home to watch Ellen. But I happily caught it today to find Elijah Wood on! Aww! Loved Ellen's reaction to his toenail comment too. Love the boy, but damn, homie, keep some things to yourself! (I'd already heard him talk about that in a print interview, but still. This is national television, baby!)

And I have to say, I think that some people would feel that Ellen's mannerisms would get old after the first month, but I still really like her. I think she's a great host. I hope her show sticks around for a few more years.

Was any other EW subscribers giggling to themselves when Ellen held up the "EW Best of" issue? Ellen's like, number 6 on that very list. Ha!

swimmerboy

swimmerboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:00 AM

Awww, I love li'l Elijah! I've been a fan of his since I saw him in Radio Flyer and he acted the pants off Macaulay Culkin in "The Good Son". I loved that he gave Ellen a kiss on the cheek when he came out. He's so cute! He's precious! my preciousssss.... Sorry, got carried away. I really really like that guy.

What the hell was Terry Bradshaw smoking before he came onstage? Is he always that...rambunctious?

edited because acting the pants of Macaulay Culkin doesn't make much sense

Edited by swimmerboy, Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:06 AM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:09 AM

I don't watch much sports but have seen Bradshow on other talk shows, and yes, he's always that rambunctious. I felt sorry for his "date," to tell you the truth -- she didn't really look like she wanted his hands all over her.

I kinda agree about Ellen's interview skills, too. Sometimes after a guest tells a joke or story, she'll just sit there and laugh when she should be asking a follow-up question or otherwise keeping the conversation going. Then we get the dreaded awkward pause. But good interview skills develop over time, and it's not a huge flaw in the first place, so it doesn't really dent my appreciation for her.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:33 AM

I don't know that I can be neutral in an appraisal of Ellen's interviewing, but I think she's lightyears ahead of most first-year talkshow hosts, and quite a few experienced ones (*cough*Leno*cough*Regis*cough) to boot.

I loved the Steve Martin interview. Another one for the classic drawer.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

Then we get the dreaded awkward pause.

I actually like how when things get awkward in an interview, she totally lets them get awkward. Makes me feel better about all the awkward pauses in my own conversations.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

Ah gee, I missed Elijah Wood. We're having peculiar (for us) weather here in Portland so when I tried to watch my tape yesterday all they had was news about the weather. (Which basically just said "Hey! We got a lot of snow here! That never happens. And now, for the next 8 hours, we'll describe just how unusual it is for us to get this much snow.")

I hope they haven't done the same thing today, but I suspect they did. (Probably with a varient: "Hey! We have freezing rain over the snow! Now we have a lot of ice. And now, for the next 8 hours, we'll describe just how slippery ice is").

re: Ellen's interview skills. I think she does a pretty good job. It's her first year, after all. As long as she doesn't do any more dating segments for her pa's I'll be pretty happy.

NTPirate04

NTPirate04

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

I can't believe I missed Elijah. I met him when I was in New York this summer and he was unbelievably nice, so I hope I catch the episode on reruns. On a side note, I just finished Ellen's book, and the way to get out of five embarrassing situations was the funniest thing I've ever read.

TaffySusan

TaffySusan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

I wish that I could watch this show all the time, but I just don't have a TiVO yet.

But did anyone else remember the one with Katie Holmes??!? I was laughing so hard at Ellen. She's so fast sometimes and says what others usually think about.

I'm refering to how Katie was upset because in LA, they don't say "Hi, Katie" at her local starbucks, like they did when she was in NC. Ellen was like is it the same girl and Katie's like, "YEAH". then Ellen was like, well do you know her name? Katie went blank!! It was great because it was so true!!! But it wasn't done in a mean way, it was done in a very honest way.

she's so great.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

I just caught the show with Elton John (& Noah Wylie) last night on Oxygen. I just absolutely loved Ellen's reactions to Elton! She looked like a starry eyed kid when he started playing and she was sitting there in the audience. And when she climbed on top of the piano, she still had this wonderful open look of admiration. I think it's great that she lets her excitement over such an incredible guest just shine through instead of trying to pretend it's no big deal because she's famous too. To me, she reacted very naturally to then entire encounter. She's a professional, but she isnt fake.

10thandPiedmont

10thandPiedmont

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:34 PM

Just caught the Elijah Wood episode and I have four words:

Elijah.

Wood.

Is.

Gay.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that, as I am gay myself.... There were just several instances in which he had flames shooting out of his head (and his nubby little fingers!).

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:51 PM

going back few days, I liked Steve Martin till I saw him on Ellen. He creeps me out. I liked Tracy Morgan. he was a good guest.

swimmerboy

swimmerboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

Tracy Morgan was funnier than I thought he'd be and he played off Ellen well. I howled at his various characters on SNL, but have never given his show a chance. The clip they played from it did make me LOL, tho. Maybe I'll watch it next time.

OT: 10thandPiedmont, you don't happen to work at Outwrite do you?

Sidewinder

Sidewinder

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

I'm glad they got rid of that ugly vase on the set that used to be behind Ellen's head. Little things make me happy.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

I will never watch Tracy Morgan's show, and I never will because Cute TV Children. Are. Never. Cute.

I know that the schtick with Houston is never the show's best aspect, but wanted to seen him to Hew-ston to convince them to start pronouncing it House-ston, while he become Hew-ston is positively inane.

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:11 PM

Insane and crazy enough to (almost? maybe? probably not) work. I have no idea what that means either.

Jason Bateman next wednesday!

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:19 PM

Heee!

You know, I guess there's no chance of her having Steve Irwin as a guest (not that I care), but that was quite a rant. Gentle, but direct and to the point.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

I'm glad they got rid of that ugly vase on the set that used to be behind Ellen's head. Little things make me happy.

Heh. I did a little mental happy dance at that, too. Hated that vase. The new flowers line up almost exactly with the flowers on the table, though, which still seems like set-design overkill to me.

I couldn't believe she had the much-despised Kelly from King of the Jungle on. Blech. Admittedly, she wasn't bad as a guest, but I hold a grudge.

Edited by queasy, Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:53 AM.

comfysara

comfysara

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:18 AM

Would someone be able to transcribe Ellen's rant about Steve Irwin? Even a little gist would be appreciated!

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:03 AM

Ah geez, I missed a mini rant about Steve Irwin? They're still talking about the weather here and pre-empting everything. I can't catch the repeats on Oxygen because I don't have cable. And, as much as I like this show, I'm not getting cable for it.

Tomorrow they'll probably preempt it again to talk about the ice melting. ("Ice, it's slippery, and eventually it melts (when the temperature gets above freezing). And now, we'll discuss how much flooding we may or may not get when the ice ... which we must reiterate is slippery ... melts. But first, we'll go to our news crew outside the studio who will tell us how slippery ice is and at what rate it appears to be melting")

I'm going through some serious Ellen withdrawel here folks. The only new show that's been broadcast here was the one with Steve Martin.