WKRP in Cincinnati: Living on the Air

• Please log in to reply

1154 replies to this topic

LilMidge

LilMidge

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I'm also remembering that some of the episodes that I didn't think were my favorites are really very funny. I just watched "Marry Me, Jennifer" with Hoyt Axton. Starting with his song to Johnny about having a knife and a gun and having a little fun, to the random guy in the elevator getting sucked into the situation to Johnny yelling "chips are falling!"

My husband and I still yell "Chips are falling!" when random bad-not-terrible stuff is happening.

And, as someone else mentioned above, both my hubby and I went into radio (he stayed) in large part due to WKRP. He's now an Andy Travis at a very successful station.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I'm also remembering that some of the episodes that I didn't think were my favorites are really very funny. I just watched "Marry Me, Jennifer" with Hoyt Axton.

I just watched this one a couple of days ago and it kind of freaked me out that I could remember Jennifer's apartment so well (although I had forgotten about the hideous wallpaper in the dining room). Loved all the "how much does a receptionist make?" comments. Also loved Hoyt Axton's "What IS that?" from the hallway when he hears the doorbell song.

Oh, something else I did not notice when I was a kid--Les is always injured. It's cracking me up finding where he's bandaged up in each episode.

Edited by LT, May 23, 2012 @ 9:42 AM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Oh, something else I did not notice when I was a kid--Les is always injured. It's cracking me up finding where he's bandaged up in each episode.

That was one of the best parts about Les. I remember all the Band-aids and bandages.

Some of my favorite Les moments (aside from describing turkeys as sacks of wet cement and "Oh the humanity!")was when the transmitter blew up and Les was still going to do the news. And I still like to pronounce 'chihuahua' like Les.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

And I still like to pronounce 'chihuahua' like Les.

And "chai chai rodri-gez"

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I don't think I really appreciated Les's news reports when I was younger but now I loved to listen for the godless tornados and giant lizards that sometimes show up in Cincinnatti.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

My cousin got to interview Richard Sanders (probably 25 years ago). When asked, he said that part-way through the first season, he decided that Les would be the kind of person who was always getting these scrapes, cuts, and other injuries. I like that he was able to give Les some form of backstory in such a subtle way.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Thank you, Loandbehold. Sanders was right, it worked beautifully--so far my favorite has been the random bandage on his ear.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

My sister-in-law's last name is Rodriguez and I have been specifically banned from calling her "Rodra-gweez!"

Seems she had enough of that back in school when the show was new.

LilMidge

LilMidge

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

And "chai chai rodri-gez"

"Let's hope Mister Rodragweez shoots above par next time."

mightybigpiperfan

mightybigpiperfan

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:38 AM

And I have a hard time saying it the correct way! I have to stop and think about how to say it correctly before I say the word. Thank goodness most people I say "chi-hua-hua" in front of recongnize the reference.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I never noticed that until my dad pointed it out, but once I was aware of it it was fun to spot the "injury du jour".

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Speaking of Les's newscasts, the other night I saw the one where Johnny lost his voice after making an on-air joke that people took seriously. So as Venus was trying to psych up Johnny about going back on the air, he kept singing the "Rocky" theme song. They get to the booth and there's Les, wrapping up his newscast, and he says something like, "In Philadelphia, a local fighter was beaten nearly to death." As in, Rocky. I doubt I caught that the first (or even second) time I saw the episode.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

So a funny thing happened the other day. During a discussion with my dad about syndication edits on the Simpsons, I mentioned offhand that the first seasons of WKRP was on Hulu. About two hours later, I hear something odd from the living room (where our computer is). My dad does this thing where he tends to speak lines along with the show even if no one is with him. I thin you can tell where this is going.

"Oh the humanity!"

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I don't believe Lucille is in the episode, but one of my favorite episodes that deals with Herb's family life is when he accidentally paints Bunny's frog pink.

My favorite part of that ep was actually the 'B' plot with Les messing with Johnny's head, telling him he had "shistosomiasis".

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I just saw the "Filthy Pictures" two-parter and realized, I love this whole cast!

I liked that everyone knew Jennifer wouldn't pose for that guy and that they weren't going to let that guy get away with his scumminess. I loved Bailey's sting coat and hat; they were cool and my favorite color. It was also a nice moment when Jennifer took a look at the contact sheet before burning everything. It was a second reminder that Jennifer was human. The first was being at a loss that the scuzzy photographer would lie to her about being gay.

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

And it has Andy in a speedo!

Cheezwiz

Cheezwiz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

So glad there are other people out there who still love this show - and that it's still being re-aired out there somewhere.

I watched it religiously as a kid when it first aired, and watched re-runs over the years. Unfortunately none of the cable networks where I live play it. If they could sort out the music rights, I would buy every single episode of every season in a heartbeat, but it appears it will never be available. I bought the first season and downloaded it to my computer even though the music is generic, 'cause I love it so much.

So many great episodes and characters: I loved Hirsch, Momma Carlson's ancient butler "You bellowed, Madame?". Also loved the "pink frog" and "phone cops" episodes.

One of my favorite episodes had Venus Flytrap agree to appear in print ads for a new shampoo. Herb was supposed to arrange to have life-sized cut-outs of Venus holding the shampoo made up for in-store display with the shampoo tagline at the bottom.

Naturally, Herb screwed it up and sent in the wrong photo. Giant cut-outs of Herb in a chef's hat over a barbeque came back with a quote from Venus at the bottom.

Johnny Fever's response upon seeing them: "Man, Venus, you have GOT to stop using that shampoo!"

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

One of my favorite Venus moments was when he taught the boy about atoms using gang metaphors.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I love that scene, Runningwild! After your mention, I had to find the video.

bamf

bamf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Such a great scene; thanks for the link, moose135!
I'm disappointed the show isn't playing in my area. I have the first season on DVD, but haven't seen later episodes in a while. One of the shows I always liked was when Bailey wanted to save their building. Sneaky Bailey tricking Johnny was pretty cool.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Thanks for sharing the link, moose135! It's just as good as I remember.

I too wish it were playing in my area.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I was catching up on some of the episodes that I've recently taped and it suddenly hit me how perfect Gordon Jump was as Mr. Carlson. I always liked him but I don't think I really appreciated him; but I love what he can do with a small line.

I was watching the one where Johnny freezes up and in the beginning Mr. Carlson, Herb and Andy are in Mr. Carlson's office when Jennifer comes in and tells them that 100 people have dumped their trash on the steps of City Hall.

Andy: "Why are they doing that?"

Mr. Carlson: "Don't tell us, Jennifer."

Jennifer: "Because Johnny told them to."

Mr. Carlson: "See, you told us."

His whole delivery was perfect. I've started to see that there are so many moments with Mr. Carlson that are a riot and it is all due to GJ's delivery.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

One of his best deliveries was when the tornado hit, and the Japanese tourists (with very stereotypical cameras around their necks) were in the building, and see the tornado out the window. One is gesticulating wildly, and yelling in Japanese. Art moves his way to the window to see, muttering as an aside, "He's probably spotted a Fotomat."

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

One of my favorite Venus moments was when he taught the boy about atoms using gang metaphors.

I love that clip! I always fanwanked that Venus eventually got out of radio (at least full-time) and became a teacher.

Edited by Albanyguy, Jul 19, 2012 @ 6:50 PM.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Well if we're doing Arthur Carlson appreciation, I always loved the fact that he played along with Les's imaginary "office." It was only strips of tape that Les put down to signify walls, but Carlson would knock on the "door" and then act as though he were leaning in the doorway, and then shut the door after their conversation. It was really nice of him, considering everyone else mocked Les about his "office."

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Didn't it turn out that Venus had been a teacher before he came to WKRP?

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Yes, Venus had been a teacher prior to getting into radio. We actually got quite a bit of backstory on Venus. Another episode dealt with his being a Vietnam vet.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

One of his best deliveries was when the tornado hit, and the Japanese tourists (with very stereotypical cameras around their necks) were in the building, and see the tornado out the window. One is gesticulating wildly, and yelling in Japanese. Art moves his way to the window to see, muttering as an aside, "He's probably spotted a Fotomat."

That episode has possibly the funniest scene ever aired in a sitcom. Andy is trying to seal the windows before the twister hits. Before he can finish, the Tornado blows the windows open and knocks him out cold. Herb and Arthur find Andy on the floor, pick him up and put him (still unconscious) on a desk. Jennifer walks in and says "are you crazy? You don't move an unconscious person!!!" Art looks at Herb and says "son-of-a-bitch, she's right." And they put unconscious Andy back on the floor.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Jul 21, 2012 @ 4:30 AM.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Naw the funniest ever is the Thanksgiving turkey drop.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Naw the funniest ever is the Thanksgiving turkey drop.

Funniest half hour in television history. Everyone remembers the turkey drop, but the entire episode was made of awesome!