WKRP in Cincinnati: Living on the Air

• Please log in to reply

1154 replies to this topic

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

(except Scum of the Earth)

I had completely forgotten that Michael Des Barres was in an episode--I might have squealed a bit when he showed up. And I know it's wrong, but I still find Andy Travis hot, even if he does wear tighter clothes than Jennifer. So strange to see an office setting with no computers in sight, how did we waste time?

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

And I know it's wrong, but I still find Andy Travis hot, even if he does wear tighter clothes than Jennifer.

LT, if finding Andy hot is wrong? I don't ever want to be right. Gary Sandy knew how to rock those nutbuster slacks.

And Venus sweeping through the station offices in the cream colored three piece suit with matching shoes, hat and cape paired with his walking stick was a sight to behold!

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

One of the episodes last night was "Turkeys Away" and that brought up some very interesting things about AntennaTV airing the show--they picked up the airing of this episode from Season 3. In the beginning of the episode Gary Sandy explains that of all the episodes from their first three seasons the one that got the most attention was this one and that they were playing it during the holiday season--but Christmas this time. The credits were not from Season 1, they were later when the entire cast was credited upfront. Also, I'm afraid I don't know Pink Floyd very well but it sounded like Pink Floyd's "Dogs" when they were supposed to be playing that song. In the episode they played next (when they are back to airing the actual first season airings--the opening credits are the original ones) they played "Beast of Burden" by The Rolling Stones. I remember watching the reruns and they always had the later-season credits so AntennaTV might be going straight from the original episodes.

I don't know if this means they will always air the original episodes with the music intact--I don't remember hearing the correct songs for some of the other episodes. I do think I should get the episodes on to my TIVo though because if they do have the right music I'd rather have that than the DVDs.

Something that struck me about "Turkeys Away" is that as brilliant as the "As God is my witness. . . " line is, there are other lines that made me laugh louder. Most especially was when Venus and Les are both complaining to Andy about Mr. Carlson and Herb walks in to complain as well. Andy tells him "wait in line" and Herb goes behind the other two to get in line. That just cracked me up. Also, Johnny has a line when Les's feed gets dropped when he's at the shopping center that I loved for no good reason; "Les isn't there. [on air] Thanks for that on-the-spot report Les." Also loved when Mr. Carlson is trying to separate himself, Herb and Les from the "casually dressed ones" and Les keeps wanting an explanation while Herb is agreeing with Mr. Carlson no matter what. OMIGOD but the best was Johnny explaining to Venus about Mr. Carlson sending all these wigs to the Guatemalan earthquake victims, "I have this picture in my mind of all these quake victims stumbling through the rubble all looking like Dolly Parton."

Edited by LT, Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:55 AM.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I didn't catch "Turkeys Away" last night but I caught one of the other ones that Antenna TV aired, which was about Bailey producing her first radio show. The songs definitely all seemed to be intact from the original airing, one of which was a Boston song. I was surprised (but pleasantly so).

Johnny has a line when Les's feed gets dropped when he's at the shopping center that I loved for no good reason; "Les isn't there. [on air] Thanks for that on-the-spot report Les."

I think it's Howard Hesseman's delivery. He's so nonchalant. Johnny Fever has seen it all, y'know.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Something that struck me about "Turkeys Away" is that as brilliant as the "As God is my witness. . . " line is, there are other lines that made me laugh louder.

I've always considered that entire episode to be the funniest 30 minutes in television history. So many great lines, it amazes me they fit them all in that one episode.

The Pinedale Shopping Mall has just been bombed with live turkeys...film at eleven.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

I think it's Howard Hesseman's delivery. He's so nonchalant. Johnny Fever has seen it all, y'know.

True, very true. One of the other episodes they showed this week was the one where the out-of-work DJ holds Johnny and the owner of an electronics store hostage while they're doing a remote. Johnny ends up with the gun (and not only gets rid of the clip, but knows to drop the bullet[s] out of the barrel!) and the police mistake him for the kidnapper. Johnny plays along to keep the DJ out of jail and lets himself get arrested instead. Now that's nonchalant.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

But when the phone cops are after him, nonchalance goes out the window.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Really, who can blame him? It's the phone cops! They know everything.

Regarding the hold up episode... Speed kills, Del.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

AriAU

AriAU

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I don't know if this means they will always air the original episodes with the music intact--I don't remember hearing the correct songs for some of the other episodes. I do think I should get the episodes on to my TIVo though because if they do have the right music I'd rather have that than the DVDs.

I watched them from my dvr and they were out of order since I am permanently saving Turkey's Away and the original music seemed to come and go. The episode with the singer ("IT'S LINDA TAYLOR")asking Andy to leave ahd lots of fake music and random guitar strumming, and distractingly som and then in the one with Bailey's show there were several of the original tunes. Anyone know if they just bought the rights to some of the music? The one with Les's date with Jennifer is coming up this week (at least according to my dvr) and that will be the true test since the episode does not work without Hot Blooded.

Really, who can blame him? It's the phone cops! They know everything.

LOL. Great memories, especially when they all think he's dead.

My favorite part of Turkey's Away is Les' description of the scene when he gets back to the office, especially with the feathers sorta clinging to him. "it gets pretty strange after that"

Wicked Wonder

Wicked Wonder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I caught the clip show today, and laughed way too much at the different highlights- man, I loved me some Andy back in the day. Now, it's all about the Johnny love, and possibly some Herb. What can I say, I'm a twisted sister. Plus, "A Date With Jennifer"? I love Antenna TV!

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Plus, "A Date With Jennifer"? I love Antenna TV!

I could have sworn that "Hot Blooded" was the song playing when Les was dressing. But another song was played in the episode on Antenna.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I could have sworn that "Hot Blooded" was the song playing when Les was dressing. But another song was played in the episode on Antenna.

It was "Hot Blooded." The absence of a lot of the original music is one of the reasons why I decided against getting the DVDs.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Thanks, because I remembered it was Hot Blooded (when it first went into syndication, the local tv station used it as a commercial and to this day, whenever I hear "hot blooded" I think of Les putting the wig on.)

It's a wonder they didn't change the contest music in "The Contest Nobody Could Win": I remember the Star-Spangled Banner was one of the songs.

Edited by Milz, Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Music copyright laws in the US are very odd. From what I understand, the reason WKRP was shot on video instead of film was music rights were lower for shows shot on tape. Of course, no one knew there was going to be a market decades later for classic TV, so nothing was written into the contracts about that. I know in the UK a new law was passed a couple of years back that set a flat fee for songs used in home video situations. I wish we had that here.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Of course, no one knew there was going to be a market decades later for classic TV, so nothing was written into the contracts about that.

TV syndication has been going on for a long time. Growing up in the '80s, I remember watching tv shows from the 1950s and 1960s like "father knows best", 'leave it to beaver", "the patty duke show", "I dream of jeannie", "batman", "the monkees" etc. and I remember they used to show programs from the 70s like "love American-style", "Kung-fu", "Columbo", "the partridge family" etc.

It's probably due to money for the music rights. And that's too bad, because the Les donning the cool clothes and wig scene was funny, but it was funnier with "Hot Blooded" because when he puts the wig on it's in sync with the chorus of "Hot blooded check it and see." The faux music wasn't quite as funny.

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Now, the next test will be when they air the Russian defector episode. If that airs uncensored (the song and the song references), then they'll really earn gratitude.

Unfortunately for me, though, I don't have Antenna TV.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

TV syndication has been going on for a long time. Growing up in the '80s, I remember watching tv shows from the 1950s and 1960s like "father knows best", 'leave it to beaver", "the patty duke show", "I dream of jeannie", "batman", "the monkees" etc. and I remember they used to show programs from the 70s like "love American-style", "Kung-fu", "Columbo", "the partridge family" etc.

It's probably due to money for the music rights. And that's too bad, because the Les donning the cool clothes and wig scene was funny, but it was funnier with "Hot Blooded" because when he puts the wig on it's in sync with the chorus of "Hot blooded check it and see." The faux music wasn't quite as funny

I should have been more specific and written no one had any idea there was going to be a home vidwo market for classic TV.

"Batman" is one of those shows which has rights tie ups for home video release, too. I'm not sure it'll ever get ironed out.

my_tiffany

my_tiffany

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Ah, another classic last night with "A Commercial Break".

What I have noticed as I watch this show again is how little Andy Travis in his tight jeans actually sits down. Usually, he just leans up against something like the couch in his office or the credenza in Mr. Carlson's office.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

What I have noticed as I watch this show again is how little Andy Travis in his tight jeans actually sits down. Usually, he just leans up against something like the couch in his office or the credenza in Mr. Carlson's office.

Just discovered WKRP on Antenna last night and the first thing I noticed was those jeans...holy crap. Nothing left to the imagination there, and I'm pretty sure that sitting down would have been an invitation to a debilitating injury. I don't remember that being an issue when the show was first on, though.

I actually remembered the lyrics to the Ferryman funeral song..."someday, you're gonna buy it" and that Jennifer was going to Marilyn Monroe poor Herb.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I just recently discovered that Antenna TV was showing WKRP. I have been watching them with my husband, who, while he likes the show, isn't nearly the fan that I am. He was rolling the other night during "Johnny comes back" when Mr. Carlson puts the cocaine in his sock and then starts yelling about there being a monkey on his foot. :-)

I also caught him humming the Ferryman jingle the other morning.

I just wish they could do something about the music rights. "A Date with Jennifer" just isn't the same without "Hot Blooded".

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I just wish they could do something about the music rights. "A Date with Jennifer" just isn't the same without "Hot Blooded".

I agree! The whole thing was perfectly choreographed to "Hot-Blooded".

and yes, I have a new appreciation for Andy's tight jeans---an appreciation I didn't have when I was in elementary school watching the re-runs. ;-)

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

The whole thing was perfectly choreographed to "Hot-Blooded".

And the weird thing is that the replacement music has the same sound as "Hot Blooded" so, as the viewer, you know exactly what song is supposed to be there.

when Mr. Carlson puts the cocaine in his sock and then starts yelling about there being a monkey on his foot.

I was just watching that episode last night. . . Jeff Altman, Philip Charles MacKenzie, Sam Anderson--such fun guest stars! And for the episode when Johnny leaves I did not remember that Edie McClurg played Herb's wife. That's going to be fun to think about while I'm watching the rest of the episodes and he talks about her.

The thing I really love about "Johnny Comes Back" is all the actual radio stuff--the reel-to-reel demo tapes, the carts, the queuing up of the records, the playing off an entire album side during the overnight time slot so you can [Johnny] make coffee [me] go to the bathroom/take a little nap. That's what live albums were made for. Brings me straight back to my (college) radio days and makes me all nostalgic. Especially since it was watching WKRP in middle school that made me want to go into radio in the first place.

Edited by LT, May 10, 2012 @ 11:38 AM.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Edie McClurg plays Lucille in several episodes. I love her. In fact, she was on one the Sunday episodes that I watched last night.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Edie McClurg plays Lucille in several episodes.

I had no idea--I guess this would have been the first place I'd ever seen her and I didn't remember by the time I got to see her in something else.

Speaking of, I watched "Never Leave Me, Lucille" last night and oh boy, is that a good one. I did not appreciate Jennifer enough when I was a kid (I was more interested in Travis's jeans and I wanted to be Bailey) because Loni Anderson is so good in this episode. The last scene with her and Lucille at the bar was gold--with the waiter bringing all those drinks over from everyone in the vicinity (and Jennifer sniffing every one cracked me up) and ending with "from a little guy, a black guy, a cowboy and a longshoreman." That "longshoreman" for Johnny was so unexpected and hysterical. The best was Jennifer asking Les what his pickup line was and him sitting down with "I'm incredibly wealthy." Great call back to earlier in the episode when he, in all seriousness, told the guys that one-night stands got boring.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I actually agree about not appreciating Loni Anderson. When I started re-watching these a few weeks ago I told myself I just didn't get the appeal (besides the obvious) but after watching these again, I remember that she can be really funny - often just with a look.

I'm also remembering that some of the episodes that I didn't think were my favorites are really very funny. I just watched "Marry Me, Jennifer" with Hoyt Axton. Starting with his song to Johnny about having a knife and a gun and having a little fun, to the random guy in the elevator getting sucked into the situation to Johnny yelling "chips are falling!" But my favorite part was Herb talking about his nightmare where Johnny and Jennifer had a bunch of kids that were tormenting him. All the little Johnny's wore sweatshirts, dark glasses and had a 3 day beard and they tied him up while all the little Jennifers just ignored him and then they took his white belt and beat him with it.

Herb is another who has some great reactions to stuff.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Edie McClurg plays Lucille in several episodes. I love her.

She was great as Lucille. I think my favorite bit was Herb: "My wife, Lucille, thinks sex is a reward. (Imitates Lucille): 'C'mon, Herbie, mow the lawn or no num-nums tonight. Uh-huh, uh-huh'."

Edited by Runningwild, May 22, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Another terrific episode with Lucille was the one where Herb signed the family up to be on a reality show (yes, kiddies, they had reality shows back then,too) and they were supposed to have a camera crew following them around to film them as a "typical American family". The camera crew ambushed them by showing up at their front door a day early, catching Herb in his underwear, Lucille in her curlers and the kids acting like howler monkeys.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Edie McClurg plays Lucille in several episodes. I love her.

Another terrific episode with Lucille was the one where Herb signed the family up to be on a reality show[.]

Then there was the one where she had a crush on her pottery instructor, and confessed that she had been unfaithful: "Oh, not in the body. But I did have impure thoughts at the kiln!"

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Another terrific episode with Lucille was the one where Herb signed the family up to be on a reality show

One of my favorite parts of that ep was when they all went to church (like Herb said they always did). They pull up to what looks like a church but the door is locked. Then Lucille whispers "Herb, it's a synagogue!". For some reason that always cracked me up.

Mrs. Stanwyck

Mrs. Stanwyck

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

I don't believe Lucille is in the episode, but one of my favorite episodes that deals with Herb's family life is when he accidentally paints Bunny's frog pink. He desparately runs around the station showing everyone the pink frog in the shoebox and some of the responses are classic.