Indianapolis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

368 replies to this topic

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2004 @ 2:06 PM

Well. This little sojourn ended up costing me $110, above the food.

I wanted to look in the supermarket so I pulled off just before you get to 465 and then saw my car was letting off smoke. Gigantic billowing gouts of smoke. There was a gas station only a block away but of course it wasn't a service station. The attendant couldn't help me, my cell phone was dead and when I called AAA they told me I had reached my service call limit. There's a limit? The guy who stopped to help me didn't know anything about cars either. I was afraid it was overheating and if I tried to get back to Lafayette I'd end up stranded along 65 in the middle of the night with no phone. So I had him call me a cab and left the car at the 24 hour gas station/mini mart. While waiting a half hour I called a couple of emergency places, one didn't have Saturday hours and the other one went into voice mail. The little old half-deaf guy who picked me up said he knew of a station just a few miles away, and if I wanted he would pick me up in the morning, take me back to my car and either get me to the service station or lead me to it if my car was driveable. So I spent the night at Motel 6, got up early, he took me back to the station, looked under the hood and didn't see anything and led me off to the repair shop. They said they could take a look but didn't garuantee they could get to it. I'm praying to whatever diety helps stranded motorists "Please don't be the radiator. Please be easy to fix. Please please please."

A lose hose was spraying water on the hot engine and turning into steam. I probably could have driven home but who wanted to take the chance? When I asked he said it might have overheated. The actual repair was only $40 but with the motel and the car service, $110.

So next time you guys are coming up to Lafayette.

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

Wow. That's gotta suck. I'm in if we're doing Lafayette.

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2004 @ 5:52 PM

Mr. Greene and I are all for the road trip if it could be done on a weekend perhaps? He works until 7 M-F.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

We did the previous IndyCons (or maybe that should be meet-and-eats) on Saturdays. So yeah, I'm all for the weekend.

oceloty

oceloty

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

So sorry to hear about your car troubles, Vermicious Knid! However, I'm glad you did make it home safe and sound, at least.

I guess it won't be much consolation, but it was fun meeting everyone! (And that was some good pizza.)

taxxgrrl

taxxgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 8:29 AM

I think having the next gathering in Lafayette is the least we can do. We're both in, and we'd be happy to carpool with other Indy folk. Any dates in mind? Not April 24, because I know both Vermicious Knid and I are busy.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

Yep, and you're occupied the end of May. Maybe May 15 or 22?

taxxgrrl

taxxgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 12:52 PM

I vote for the 22nd. Still thinking Mongolian barbecue?

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

I'm in for the 22nd. If we carpool, who's driving? I'm willing to chip in for gas money.

taxxgrrl

taxxgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 3:34 PM

The Mr. (hee! - he'll be a Mr. by then) and I can drive - we can take three other people. We'll drive the car that gets good mileage.

PezKat

PezKat

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music, tv, and almost anything that combines the 2! Fave shows: AI, SYTYCD, Prison Break, 24, House, Lost, Jericho, Fri. Night Lights, Survivor, Ugly Betty. Also still mourning Firefly. Other hobby is scrapbooking!

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

Bummer, I knew I should've come check back earlier! I haven't been over here (TWoP in general) much this season but would still be interesting in getting together sometime. Unfortunately I could probably only do it if my Mr. is busy doing something else; I've deserted him for enough AI-related events already. But we'll see! How many came to the Baxbeaux gathering last weekend?

littlekat

littlekat

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 5:03 PM

I vote for the 22nd because I'll definitly be back in Lafayette by then.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

10-12 people all together, I believe.

Lunch or dinner? I think we want to stay away from anything near campus on the West side, too many loud college students. At least football and basketball are done so there won't be that traffic. There's a nice Italian place that also has pizzas called Spageddies. The last time I met people there they actually let us hang around for hours and weren't even going to kick us out for the dinner rush. The other place I was thinking about is the City Buffet & Grill which is a Chinese buffet that has the authentic Mongolian barbeque and a bunch of dim sum style dumplings as part of the extensive selections. There's american food too. I don't think buffets need reservations. There's lots of chain restaurant and Mexican as well. littlekat, any other suggestions?

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 10:00 PM

Taxxgrrl: Three people in your car? I'll be number one.

littlekat

littlekat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 1:16 AM

I really don't have any other suggestions. I'm one of those "quiet college students" that have no money for anything more expensive than Taco Bell.

Actually, classes here end May 8th. Once the last final is over this place will be deserted.

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 1:42 AM

Are there any nice parks in the Lafayette area? By then it should be warm.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 5:12 PM

Yes, there are parks. There's even a little water park. Lafayette parks, West Lafayette parks.

I forgot about classes being over.

taxxgrrl

taxxgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

What if we did a pitch in lunch at a park? And we could pick a restaurant as a backup in case of bad weather.

Zumanity, you're in our car, which leaves 2 spots open for other takers.

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 5:08 PM

I think a pitch in would be awesome...we just need to make sure everyone doesn't bring baked beans *remembers church carry-ins as a child.*

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

I know both Columbian and Happy Hollow have shelters and picnic tables. I think Happy Hollow has grills too. Not sure if you can reserve them or it's just whomever gets there first.

My potluck staple is carrot salad, so no baked beans here.

Ok, I checked and if we want the shelters and picnic tables you do have to rent them. If we just bring blankets and sit in the grass it's free. Columbian Park also contains a zoo, which I've never been to, but is also one of the few free zoos in the country. We could picnic and coo at cute animals.

Edited by Vermicious Knid, Apr 5, 2004 @ 10:42 AM.

Wicked Wonder

Wicked Wonder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 11:20 AM

I'm sorry I missed you guys, but ooh, ooh, Columbia Park!
taxxgurl, can I be number 2?
May 22 works for me, too.
And I make cheesecake, or brownies. Maybe both?

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 4:53 PM

I don't do a particular specialty dish. I take requests.

I wouldn't mind chipping in to rent a shelter if it ensures we have a grill. I checked Lafayette's parks department webpage and the rental for some of the shelters in Columbia Park is only $25.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 4:55 PM

Would anyone like to go to a wine tasting event on April 17 in Lafayette? I have two tickets right now, I could probably get a third. $30 normally with hors d'oeuvres.

The rentals for Happy Hollow are only $15, but it doesn't come with a zoo. If people want to go to the Columbian Park Zoo that is. Those two parks are on opposite ends of town. Technically, they're not even in the same town. We could always caravan from one to the other. Also, if we want to grill the Super Wal-Mart will easily supply hamburgers and hot dogs without somebody having to drive them up. Or Meijer or Marsh, all within a five minute drive.

Edited by Vermicious Knid, Apr 7, 2004 @ 5:07 PM.

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

I checked the maps on the parks page, Murdock (sp?) park is the closest to Columbia with the amenities we would need (grills, restrooms). I'm going to call and see about reserving a shelter at Columbia and if we can't get one there for the lower price, we could always move over to Murdock and then caravan to Columbia.

eta I called the parks department and one of you beautiful Lafayettiers will have to reserve a shelter. I can direct a money order to you or bring cash the 22nd. I think one of the smaller shelters would be more than enough for our group.

Edited by hagreene80, Apr 8, 2004 @ 1:54 PM.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2004 @ 2:44 AM

*Shakes dust off thread*

I'll call on Monday. Do people want to go to the zoo?

My offer for the wine tasting still stands. They have chocolate too.

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2004 @ 12:10 PM

The smaller shelter would be fine. Just make sure there are enough chairs! (Yeah, I know, they'll be picnic tables with benches, I was making a Bazbeaux reference.)

The Zoo sounds fun.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

There are small shelters available so that's no problem. The $25 is non-refundable, so before I give them my credit card I just want to make sure this is what we're going to do. I can reserve one near the zoo and bathrooms.

littlekat

littlekat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

I've never actually been to Columbian Park before. But this sounds really fun. Sounds good to me.

hagreene80

hagreene80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2004 @ 6:13 PM

I am all for it. I was looking at all the animals and for it being a free zoo, they do have a good arrangement of species. Besides, who wouldn't want to see a boa constrictor named Victor?

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2004 @ 6:54 PM

I think I got to pet Victor when one of the curators brought him to the station. She brought some big snake.

Ok then, I'll go ahead and make the reservation. The small shelter seats 50, so if any lurkers are out there, or you want to invite family and friends, come on over. And yes, that is the smallest shelter they have.