Good Times! Ain't We Lucky We Got 'Em?

• Please log in to reply

738 replies to this topic

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, James should have kept that extra dough in his plum pants, paid the rent for a few months and told ol' Flo that he won the money by pool hustling!

In the voice of Daffy Duck, "Morals, shmorals, as long as I'm rich."

Funny, Flo didn't have a problem with using money that came from pool hustling, did she?

James should not have told her anything about keeping the money. Just put the money away somewhere where Flo won't look, and hope he doesn't die in a car crash or something, and then just have it there for emergencies or when something special comes up.

James:

"Look here Florida, this dude down at the car wash gave me a $5.00 tip! Dude was a hustler and he loved his hot wax." Scratch that. Flo would have a fit taking money from a pimp. Better for James to have said it came from some rich, white dude.

"Hot damn. I won $5.00 playing pool!"

"I got this side-job and even though it was one day, the dude paid me 25 bucks!"

I saw the episode where the housing supervisor drops by in reaction to LA Michael's letter of complaint. When James poured him a drink in a cup, the man ran his finger around the rim of the cup first. Now, after all these years, I still don't understand what that was all about. Tell me please.

Apparently the spanking James applied did not take.

The lunch money rip-off episode came after Mad Dog and his gang episode.

Edited by kemon, Mar 9, 2012 @ 11:32 AM.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

I saw the episode where the housing supervisor drops by in reaction to LA Michael's letter of complaint. When James poured him a drink in a cup, the man ran his finger around the rim of the cup first. Now, after all these years, I still don't understand what that was all about. Tell me please.

Only two thangs come to my mind....either he didn't think the cup was clean or he didn't want 'black person's juice' on his lips.

Edited by vixenstud, Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:50 PM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I kinda thought either of those might be the reasons. Thanks for letting me know I was thinking the right thing. I kinda wondered if it might mean something else.

Yesterday I saw the episode where Cleatus is hiding from the FBI after robbing the bank. He offers James money to hide out in their apartment, but James wasn't having it. He wanted him out. I wonder what the difference was between James wanting to keep all that money from the grocery store robbery and him not wanting to score some money from a bank robbery? The money in both cases came from the crime of robbery.

I also always wondered too how James explained having kept that grocery store robbery money when he returned it.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

I wonder what the difference was between James wanting to keep all that money from the grocery store robbery and him not wanting to score some money from a bank robbery?

$2,000 of the grocery store money was unaccounted for, which is why James kept it....if he had kept his fat mouth shut, no one would have ever been the wiser.

As for the bank robbery, with Cleatus being on the lam it likely wouldn't have been a good idea to take the hush money, as the cops knew of Cleatus' family and as we saw they were at the Evanses lickity-split once the robbery happened.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

I think, in the latter case, James knew who the robber was and didn't want to be complicit in a robbery. Wheras, he felt justified in keeping some of the money he found in the former case as a reward.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

But the Evans' were complicit in almost hiding someone who they already knew was wanted by the FBI. They didn't want to believe Cleatus was involved in the robbery, but that doesn't diminish their guilt in hiding a fugitive. James knew in both cases money was taken as a result of robberies regardless if he found it or it was handed to him.

I also noticed the reason Cleatus gave for robbing the bank was almost the identical reason James gave for wanting to keep that robbery money. Cleatus wanted his bread a loaf at a time rather than one slice. James pretty much gave the same reason to Florida to justify his wanting to keep the robbery money. James may not have robbed the store, but he didn't mind keeping the profits from someone else's crime. Maybe the robber of the grocery store was also a poor, black man who was trying to feed his family.

.if he had kept his fat mouth shut, no one would have ever been the wiser.

Lol...I know what you mean.

Edited by kemon, Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Hey, we're gearing up to start a 70's sitcom survival game over in the Rec Room, if anyone's interested.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Just watched the episode where Florida returns from Arizona for Thelma's wedding.

I LOL at the comment that Thelma's wedding was the social event of the season.

Also, Willona was talking about her former husband. She said his name was Roger, but that was not his name in the episode when he was getting all fresh with Thelma. When Willona was talking anout him, Thelma reacted like she had never met him. I hated the sloppy writing when it came to things like this. I guess the writers thought the viewers would forget about "Ray" and how he came onto Thelma.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Just watched the episode where Florida returns from Arizona for Thelma's wedding.

I LOL at the comment that Thelma's wedding was the social event of the season.

Also, Willona was talking about her former husband. She said his name was Roger, but that was not his name in the episode when he was getting all fresh with Thelma. When Willona was talking anout him, Thelma reacted like she had never met him. I hated the sloppy writing when it came to things like this. I guess the writers thought the viewers would forget about "Ray" and how he came onto Thelma.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:28 AM

I caught the eps (but not the conclusion) of the "JJ elopes with a junky" three-parter recently. I always get a kick out from the audience reaction in these types of eps.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I caught the eps (but not the conclusion) of the "JJ elopes with a junky" three-parter recently. I always get a kick out from the audience reaction in these types of eps.

Is it because of the laughter?

I was stunned to read on another tv board how some people thought Diana had killed herself (by accident or on purpose)when she went out the window. I never thought anything other than that Diana had run off to go get her fix. I can't imagine J.J. would have looked out the window and saw Diana sprawled out on the ground and not run out to her. Also, I think they were on the second floor (or higher) of the motel. It is not as if Diana fell to her death since there would be a walkway right outside the room. I know I can't be the only one who thought Diana went to get her fix.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

I know I can't be the only one who thought Diana went to get her fix.

I did.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Whoa. So Diana didn't kill herself??

I remember when I first saw the "JJ's Engaged to a Junkie" two-parter. I couldn't have been more than six years old. I asked my mother why Diana had a syringe in her purse and she told me she was a diabetic. I asked her what the rubber hose was for and she said "Diana's got diabetes REALLY bad."

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

I was stunned to read on another tv board how some people thought Diana had killed herself (by accident or on purpose)when she went out the window.

It never occurred to me either. In fact, I always assumed it was a cheap one-story building.

I remember when I first saw the "JJ's Engaged to a Junkie" two-parter.

Whoah! There wasn't a third part? I remember James and Florida (and perhaps her parents as well) figuring out where they were and driving as fast as they could to get there.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

The Diana-junkie two-parter episode ended with J.J. sitting on the motel bed as you could hear his parents on the phone calling his name out to him after they told him Diana was a junkie.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I saw the two-parter where JJ lives with those two hustlers to earn money after losing his job. Before that, he is struggling trying to figure out how to pay the rent. The idea of pawning the television set comes up, but Michael is against it because he won't be able to watch "The Waltons". Really? I guess if he is lavender-assed, watching the Waltons would be a priority for him. Forget Sanford & Son, it's all about John-Boy.

Also, the two-parter of Thelma's African Romance was on this past week. Thelma tells Florida how she wants to change her name to "Visa". This had me LOL when you realize her boyfriend's name is "Ibe" (pronounced like eBay). Visa and Ibe, a match made in paypal heaven.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Wasn't he from Nigeria and claimed to be royalty? That made me very suspicious.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

He was from Nigeria, but he wasn't royalty. He was studying for his master's in business so he could go back home and help run his father's factory. Because he was suspended from school after the protest, his father wanted him to return home, which is why he wanted Thelma to go with him.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I was referring to the infamous Nigerian scam that's so common on the Internet.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

I cannot explain why this show, unlike "All in the Family" angried up my blood. For some reason, each time they gave some half-assed reason why:

• Thelma couldn't go the "white" school
  • James couldn't keep the money
  • James didn't want Florida working (even though it could've meant that they'd get out of that damned project)
  • The various "excuses" LAM would give whenever an opportunity came up that would "whiten his blackness" (see Thelma's school example above)
  • Willona's super-fly wardrobe, yet she was a single woman who seemed to have a halfway decent job (you all seemed to snark on this WAAAY better than I could've!)
All this shit about pride this and pride that. Look, I'm all about the pride being po', but if I'd gotten the chance to go to a good school, all expenses paid, all y'all would've seen would've been a puff o' smoke where I was standing. Shit, just think about all of the contacts you could make, the different things you could be exposed to. Hell, this doesn't even have to do with black or white, just a certain economic status.

I'll leave with this--did the family have a TV in the living room? I'm thinking yes, since the po' folks of Tandem Productions seemed to have TVs in the middle of the room (center focus--as did "All in the Family"), but other shows, such as "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" did not.

Meh--I could be talking out of my ass, I seem to remember that aspect for some reason.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Yes, the Evens had a TV. There was an ep where JJ slapped it too hard to get it working, causing it to explode in a small cloud of fire and white smoke and causing a financial crisis.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

All this shit about pride this and pride that. Look, I'm all about the pride being po', but if I'd gotten the chance to go to a good school, all expenses paid, all y'all would've seen would've been a puff o' smoke where I was standing. Shit, just think about all of the contacts you could make, the different things you could be exposed to. Hell, this doesn't even have to do with black or white, just a certain economic status.

Yet, we still see that attitude today with some in the African-American community equating good grades with "acting white". These young people have a chance at a free public education. The school or the school system may not be the greatest, but the basic skills are there that a motivated child should be able to expand upon. Yet, the stigma of "acting white" inhibits some who could better their economic prospects by just finishing high school.

So, I do hold this against GT. This isn't about pride, this is about doing your best to improve your lot. The Evanses seemed to feel that education was important so I didn't get the whole White School issue.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Tell Her No, great points. I agree, there were some things that could have helped the family, but one excuse after another was given. I still get pissed when I see the job in Alaska episode. James felt being away for a year, away from the ghetto and not being there to protect his son, would cause his son to fall in with the wrong crowd. I felt James had instilled enough talk and guidance, including using the belt, to get his point across to his son about the pitfalls of living in the ghetto. James couldn't be around 24/7 to protect his son. If he had a job that took him to the next state and paid him well, you can bet he would have went. So, better to keep on living in the hood and have his son being exposed to the gangs for who knows how many years rather than take a job that would get his family out of the hood for good in a year. As it was, James ended up dying and leaving his children to live in the hood without his protection and guidance.

The white school episode - yeah, I hear what you are saying. If the school is going to pay for everything, go for it. With that education, Thelma could have gone places. Instead, she ended up at a community college where she ended up getting in trouble for protesting cafeteria conditions.

Edited by kemon, Jul 7, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

did the family have a TV in the living room? I'm thinking yes, since the po' folks of Tandem Productions seemed to have TVs in the middle of the room (center focus--as did "All in the Family"), but other shows, such as "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" did not.

This was definitely done on purpose. It was believed that lower class families would watch more TV and make it the focus of the living room, whereas upper class families like those in "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" would be expected to be doing more activites away from TV, like focusing on work (George running his dry cleaning business), going to country clubs and social events.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

I'm sorry if bumping this thread is the wrong move...but....Florida gets on my damn nerves! I just saw the episode when grandpa came to visit, and she didn't want him and his girlfriend to sleep together. My God what a sanctimonious witch!

Lone Republican

Lone Republican

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I can only watch the seasons in which James is still alive. Everything else I skip. I liked the powerful father figure in the show, plus after John Amos left, this show became way too J.J.-centric.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Speaking of J.J....what a cooning ass Negro! Always joking and rhyming. I've been Black all my life and I shortly lived in the projects of Chicago, this was in the late 80's and it want Cabrini Green. We did lock our doors, we didn't have a nosy maintenance man that served evictions. In fact, CHA was notorious for not collecting rent and the amount of trespassers that stayed in empty apartments was staggering. I also don't know any Black folks that joke and rhyme as much as these people. They couldn't make one episode without them shucking and jiving?

Lavender ass Michael! Lmao! I have now adopted that nickname for his annoying ass.

That Thelma sure could shout!

Wilona was fly, I would rock some of her clothes now!

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

I'm sorry if bumping this thread is the wrong move...but....Florida gets on my damn nerves! I just saw the episode when grandpa came to visit, and she didn't want him and his girlfriend to sleep together. My God what a sanctimonious witch!

Yeah she was. Most heterosexuals that cohabit are under 25 or over 65- you can't lose out on your social security just to be "legal". Please!

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Wow, I totally forgot about the episode where JJ becomes a manager of this fat, white girl who wants to be a singer until I stumbled on it flipping channels this morning. The cable guide said the ep's title is "The Judy Cohen Story". What a random episode. Judy was the 70s "Susan Boyle".

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Jan 4, 2014 @ 1:13 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 6:23 PM

The Diana-junkie two-parter episode ended with J.J. sitting on the motel bed as you could hear his parents on the phone calling his name out to him after they told him Diana was a junkie. 

See, I remember the parents arriving at the hotel and dialoging about drugs and such (and maybe Lavender Ass Michael pulling yet another brochure out of his ass).