Shows No One Remembers but Me

• Please log in to reply

6848 replies to this topic

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

Yes, there was a show called Then Came Bronson.
Thanks KS. Wasn't it some guy riding around on his motorcycle for no reason? I vaguely remember some guy with a wool knit hat riding a honda around.

Then Came Bronson was on NBC in the late sixties and starred an actor named Michael Parks who was very briefly the "It Boy" of the moment. He was good-looking enough, but had a shuffling, mumbling "Method Actor" delivery which got real old, real fast. He sounded very much like the young Robert Blake.

The show was about a Brando-esque loner named "Bronson" (maybe it was his first name, maybe it was his last, who knew?) who zoomed around the country on his bike in a black leather jacket and knit hat and had a different adventure each week. It was supposed to be very hip and socially revelant in a late-sixties youth culture way. But underneath the brooding existentialism, he was really just a hippie Ann Landers, solving problems in each new town he hit and then moving on. He helped love-starved women discover their sensuality (which gave him an excuse to take his shirt off - always the high point of each episode); reconciled crusty old fathers and rebellious young kids; encouraged teenage misfits to believe in themselves; and rallied apathetic townsfolk to stand up against bigotry.

I think it's time for a big-screen version with Mark Whalberg.

Edited by Albanyguy, Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:04 PM.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

Ok, over the past 10 years I have been unable to find a SINGLE PERSON who has any memory of this show.

sakana1: I don't remember the show myself, but this page remembers.

soup in summer

soup in summer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:51 PM

There's also an "Otherworld" show guide here with what looks like pretty complete cast lists and episode summaries.

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:14 AM

goin' down that long, lonesome highway... gonna, gonna live life my way-

Hey, thanks Albany. I had some vague memories and that stupid little song in my head. I guess it was supposed to be like Jack Kerouac for the masses, and 15 years late. I think Marky-Mark is a good call, since Planet of the Apes must have dropped his value a lot. Or maybe Joey Lawrence.

Did someone mention Banachek (sp?) yet? I think it starred the actor Tarentino used in Foxy Brown.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:24 AM

Banacek starred George Peppard, but I truly don't remember whether it came before or after The A-team. In Banacek he was an insurance investigator.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

Did someone mention Banachek (sp?) yet? I think it starred the actor Tarentino used in Foxy Brown.

If you're thinking of Robert Forster, he had a show called Banyon, in which he starred as a 1930s private detective.

Banacek (with George Peppard as noted) was rerun on TV Land for awhile.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:04 AM

I loved Banacek-- it had a great, cool guy atmosphere (ala Rockford Files). Plus, Peppard had great hair.

If you're looking for a Robert Forster fix, please, please, please watch Karen Sisco, imho the best new show on tv. Forster plays Karen's dad and is utterly magnificent.

Finally, thanks for the links for Otherworld. It cracks me up that there were like 8 episodes, and yet a ton of people here remember as a key to their childhoods. Or maybe I'm just projecting....

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

Thanks guys. I was thinking of Banyon, but somehow Banachek got mixed into my childhood memory. But now I remember Banachek as well. Yeah, he had the cool hair, sort of a Its-Quarter-to-Three-Sinatra thing going on. Or wait, was that the show where he switched to the Roman Legion comb-forward look?

I remeber liking Bayon because it was set in the 30's. I will give Sisko a try now that I know Forster is on the show. I was glad to see him make a comeback in Jackie Brown.

bakaney

bakaney

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:27 AM

I remember an anime called " The Samurai Pizza Cats" although my memorie isn't really reliable so I may be wrong.

Oh. My. God. I remember this! It had a long and frantic non stop(well about 2 minute) opening theme that that took up all the breath in my little prepubescent throat - which I loved - I knew all the words too and that of course was the initial draw for me. Man, that takes me WAY back.

Samurai Pizza Cats ....Oh Yeah!
Who do you call when you need some pepperoni!

Edited by bakaney, Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:35 AM.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

Does anyone else remember What About Joan? I thought it was funny at first and for the life of me I cannot remember if it had a second season?

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

Thanks for the Hilarious House of Frankenstein info. Althought the name does not ring a bell with me it might be the right show. I don't think Frankenstein was actually on the show but that doesn't mean that couldn't have been the name. Maybe I can dig up some info on the name and verify if it's what I was remembering.

Reg Otherworld not only do I remember it I remember each ep and I even described me fav ep upthread. I think I have the eps somewhere in my video library.

Banacek had one ep where somebody had supposedly stolen a HUGE computer the size of an entire room. Banacek figured out it had not really been stolen. The guy who was selling this billion dollar computer hadn't actually built it, just a huge panel with blinky lights. To "steal" it all he did was turn the panel around to a back painted the same color as the rest of the walls. Banacek noticed the room had shrunk about 6 inches. This show didn't last long and at the time I was soooo disappointed.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:37 PM

Gracelessly, What About Joan did have a second season, but it only lasted like two or three episodes before it got canned. I liked that show, too. I thought Joan Cusack and Kyle Chandler had great chemistry.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Does anyone else remember Visionaries? I don't remember any mention of it in this thread as far as I can remember. It was a cartoon about these kind of futuristic-medieval knights on another world who all had these animal ‘totems’ they could turn into like an eagle, a fox, a lion etc for the heroes and various nasty-looking creatures for the villains. Although the two women characters got stuck with having dolphin and shark totems, so unless there was water nearby, they were pretty useless.

I thought it was a pretty cool cartoon, even though I was probably a little old to watch it by that time. The animation and voices were really well done, and the plots intelligent enough, but I think it only lasted a season. I even remember one of the spells one of them used:

The arrows turn, the swords rebel, let nothing pierce this mortal shell!

How sad is it that I remember that?

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

There was a show called Star Games in the mid 1980s.  It was similar to the Battle of the Network Stars, but the teams consisted of 3 men and 3 women from different tv shows.  There were teams from the Brady Bunch, Days of Our Lives, even the Police Acadamy and Porky's movies.  It was hosted by Dick Butkus and Bruce Jenner and came on Saturdays before Solid Gold, I think.  Does anyone else remember this?

Sure. Mid 80s is right, and it was syndicated (so it was shown at different times in different cities). Dick Butkus was more the "floor commentator" -- the hosts were Bruce Jenner and Pamela Sue Martin -- the latter replaced for the second half of the season by Morgan Brittany. Among the things I remember about the show:

-- For the first few weeks (till producers watched the dailies, I assume, the guys being interviewed after their swimming competitions in their speedos, which under the camera lights revealed pretty much everything. Later in the series they'd clearly gotten the directive to for god's sake put on a warmup suit or at least a towel before getting too near the cameras.

-- The team from "Roots" which was as team captain LeVar Burton put it "5 black people plus Doug McClure," devoting 7 minutes of their show to joshing with Mark Spitz about how they shouldn't be expected to swim, and a Cadillac race would be more in their line. I'm certainly not going to get stuffy about some non-PC kidding around among pals, but it surprised me coming from the very actors who raised America's consciousness about racial oppression. I guess that doesn't mean they can't have fun....

-- The shall-we-say tenuous connection of some of the competitors with the show they were representing. "St. Elsewhere" and other big-ensemble dramas still had to resort to guest stars to fill out the 6 players. On the "Dynasty" team if I remember right, all the men were "dead" on the show (Billy Campbell, etc.).

Edited by Rinaldo, Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:17 PM.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:06 PM

Visionaries? Hell, yeah. I named myself Cyndarr (Cindar) back in the late 1980's on the pre-WWW online communities. The toys were wicked-cool. One of my favorite short lived cartoons, along with SilverHawks and M.A.S.K.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

The toys were wicked-cool. One of my favorite short lived cartoons, along with SilverHawks and M.A.S.K.

SilverHawks kicked all kinds of ass!! Great Cartoon, we actually went through like 20 of them by the time the cartoon ended. I use to know them all. I enjoyed it better than the much vaunted 'Thundercats'

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:06 PM

Holy crap! M.A.S.K.! Those were the coolest vehicles ever. My brothers had all of them, so I got to play without actually saying that I wanted them. I think that show was our favorite because the main guy's son always somehow ended up involved-- so we, too, could dream of getting to play with real life transforming things. And bad guys! And weaponry!

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:08 PM

MDKNIGHT, try this url: Hilarious House of Frightenstein is this what you're remembering?

runcible spoon

runcible spoon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:46 PM

Ned and Stacey

I miss this show. Hope it's released on DVD soon.

Fellow old timers:  I remember Wonderama and Sandy Becker

Yes! I remember Becker's characters-Norton Nork and The Big Professor, who wore a cap and gown and walked on set to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance.

Ball Four based on Jim Bouton's book

I remember he was a hilarious sportscaster on the local NY news (Eyewitness News with Roger Grimsby and Bill Beutel). I also remember when Tex Antoine, the weather forecaster, lost his job after making a dumb joke about rape.

Edited by runcible spoon, Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:48 PM.

Cass4

Cass4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:27 AM

Norton Nork! God, I'd forgotten that part.

How about Roller Girls from the 70's. A female roller derby team led by a Daisy-Mae type hillbilly. One of the others was an Eskimo. I guess the producers figured the audience wouldn't realize what she was supposed to be, so she would use phrases like "there's no place like Nome". Of course they were all very sexy, but I don't know if any of them went on to be in anything else.

P.S. - I don't think Eskimo is a politically incorrect term these days, if it is, apologies.

bakaney

bakaney

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:15 PM

The arrows turn, the swords rebel, let nothing pierce this mortal shell!

How sad is it that I remember that?

You think that's sad, Pooki? How about actually still being able to quote ALL of those magical staff spells and being able to name them all and tell you who turned into what. The Spectral Knights and the Darkling Lords. And the wizard Merklynn who gave them their powers. Man, I am such a geek. That show was SO good (even though I doubt the vast majority of viewers knew the meaning of words like "sycophantic" and "prevaricate" and were probably slightly confused by the occasional biblespeak- 'Prepare to meet thine end' never sounded so good) that it became sort of a mental archetype of what the perfect action cartoon was like.

Does anyone else remember What About Joan? I thought it was funny at first and for the life of me I cannot remember if it had a second season?

Oh, I do! I lived in South Africa when I saw it though (P.S. One good thing about South African syndication - no ratings crap. Hell, I even got to watch the entire season of 'Wasteland') I liked it as well but later found out that the majority of America didn't agree with me.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:14 PM

From a few pages back. The reason I remember Otherworld is because I kind of had a thing for the oldest son. I only saw the repeats on Sci-Fi, but I knew him from Head of the Class.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:23 AM

Glad there are other people who remember Visionaries fondly. I remember a few years ago some friends and I were talking about our favourite cartoons ever, and when I mentioned Visionaries, the others looked at me like I was on crack or something. They'd never even heard of it. You know, all this talk about it means I'm gonna have to go and try and see if I can buy it on video or DVD. Does anyone know if it's available?

And ohmigod, M.A.S.K.! I'd totally forgotten about that. It wasn't till I looked it up on TV Tome that it rung any bells, despite the fact that I used to watch it all the time and have some of the toys. It's weird, but I think my favourite part of that show was the bit where they're picking the team for that episode and the vehicles and the computer says their names, like:

Vehicle codename: Rhino

I've no idea why that was my favourite part. While we're on the subject of 80s cartoons, does anyone remember Ulysses 31? It was like an update of Greek myths set in space, with Ulysses' crew sent into comas for some reason and he, his son and a little alien girl were left to roam the galaxies in their spacecraft, coming across various mythical-style figures. it was a pretty well made show. The theme tune was really cheesy, but like with Mysterious Cities Of Gold, really sing-along-able.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:52 PM

I loved that show, too, Bakaney. It didn't get a second season. I think Joan Cusak was just too quirky for most viewers who were expecting a typical "perky" sitcom heroine. She's one of those "you either love her or hate her" actors and I love her. Have most of the episodes on tape and still watch them occasionally. She and Kyle Chandler were great together.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

Okay, I'm positive nobody remembers this thing: Adderly.

A Canadian show that aired as a midseason replacement on CBS in 1986 (and later continued to run in a late-night slot, which the Eye had a lot of in the pre-Letterman days), it was a strange blend of light comedy and serious Cold War espionage drama. It concerned V.H. Adderly (the smarmy Winston Rekert), a hot-shit secret agent who had been consigned to desk duty after he had been compromised and maimed by the Soviets (a torturer had crippled his left hand with a sledgehammer). Undaunted, and with his crippled hand in a creepy leather glove, he proceeded to ooze around the office and buttinsky other people's cases in an attempt to get back on regular duty.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:42 PM

Ok, I've never seen this Adderly show, but it sounds like a personal tv wet dream. Spies? Torture? For the love of god, The Cold War? How did I miss this?!

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

Okay, I'm positive nobody remembers this thing: Adderly.

I remember it. My parents watched it all the time. They watched all those Crimetime after Primetime shows. I recall Adderly glancing over at the grave of Karl Marx or someone and saying, "Just another Communist plot". Yeah, that's the kind of junk that sticks in my brain. Everytime I see Winston Rekert (recently as Tyne Daly's husband in a Christmas movie), I think of Adderly.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:02 AM

I have one thing to say to you, Mr. Excitement:

ISI. The ISI building is still in downtown Toronto, in Queen's Park, where it's masquerading as The Frost Building.

Edited to add: Actually, he wasn't a buttinsky, it was just that his cases/what he would be look into (for instance, for Mona, the secretary of Misc. Affairs) would be much larger/more complicated than it would appear at first. For example, a little old lady complained that her local heavy metal station was running backwards messages with the music. Turned out the DJ was selling stolen secrets and that was how he was transmitting the messages. For a show that probably had a very low budget, it was quite fun to watch, I really liked the mix of drama and humour.

sakana1, unless you lived in Canada, Adderly would air once a week on CBS, at midnight so that's how you might have missed it. It was part of CBS Late Night, Crimetime After Primetime came a little later. Other Canadian shows like Hot Shots (very short lived), Night Heat, etc., aired at the same time.

Edited by KSFan, Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:10 AM.

dalek

dalek

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:43 AM

Sadly, I remember Adderly. It played as part of CBS's "Crime Time After Prime Time" here in the U.S.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

Sadly, I remember Adderly. It played as part of CBS's "Crime Time After Prime Time" here in the U.S.

Hey, I remember that too! Wasn't one of the other shows in that lineup called "Street Justice" with Carl Weathers? I have fond memories of Street Justice, because of Carl's hot, buff sidekick Bryan Genesse and his (to me) unusual eyes.