Shows No One Remembers but Me

• Please log in to reply

6843 replies to this topic

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:12 PM

that was William Gaunt who played Richard.

KSFan, thank you so much. I'm off to google!

sandyeggo622

sandyeggo622

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

How about...

The Kids from C.A.P.E.R
The San Pedro Beach bums
Feather and Father
When Things were Rotten

I'll try to think of some others later.

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:10 PM

Things were bad, and that ain't good... good for Robin Hood.

My pet obscure TV show was Time Tunnel.

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:36 AM

Was that the show with James Darrin?

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:52 AM

I think it with Darrin. It was two guys, one a scientist, that kept getting bounced around in time. I think austin Powers was spoofing their time tunnel in the second movie. It was an Irwin Allen show. I remebered it from when I was very young. Then I saw a rerun recnetly and found out how awful it was. But it was fun to finally see it again.

HexLover

HexLover

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

I remember an anime called " The Samurai Pizza Cats" although my memorie isn't really reliable so I may be wrong.

Cass4

Cass4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

Fellow old-timers: I remember Wonderama and Sandy Becker growing up in NYC, also Officer Joe Bolton, who showed 3 Stooges shorts and took it all very seriously, detailing the differences between Curly and Shemp episodes. I think the guy's name was Jack McCarthy, and he hosted the St Patrick Day parade. Other 60's shows - Ball Four based on Jim Bouton's book. The hook, if I remember, was that all the ballplayers were played by retired baseball and football players. None of them could act and the show was cancelled after a couple of weeks, very rare back then. The Time Tunnel, an out of control time machine kept dropping a group of scientist into random times in the past - of course it would always turn out to be in some famous event in history (Titanic, etc). It's About Time another time travel show with Joe E Ross and (I think) Imogene Coco as cave people. In the first few episodes a pair of astronauts accidentaly went back in time, but later on they came back to the present with the cave couple. The Secret Life of Henry Fife Red Buttons is a meek guy who happens to resemble a Russian super-spy. In every episode a CIA-type would pressure him into impersonating the spy to confuse the enemy. The sad thing is although its been about 35 years since It's been on, and I probably only saw it about a half dozen times, I still remember the theme: A foreign spy arrives by the name of U-31, on his first day in, he's done in by a hit-and-run, got to find a man who looks like U-31, but who? HENRY FIFE!. Other than this, I am a sane, normal person.

dalek

dalek

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:47 AM

Part One:responses to previous posts
-Telefrancais, fantastique! I watched this show while home sick in, oh, probably kindergaten. I didn't think about it much until about grade seven, when we had to watch it in French class in school. Everybody loved Anana. The two human characters were named Alain et Sophie, I think, but the actors changed as the show went on. The rest of the cast was puppets, including what's-her-name the pilot and Les Squelettes, the skeleton rock band.

I remember that show. With Mr. Anane the talking pineapple. I thought it was a canadian show.

Does anyone else remember Vegetable Soup that used to run on PBS? (One of the NYC stations used to pair it with Big Blue Marble). I remeber a segment involving marionettes that used to travel through space in a treehouse/speaceship.

How about Villa Allegre or Carascolendas? What little spanish I knew as a kid came from those shows.

divajean13207

divajean13207

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

Vegetable Soup?!? My god! I can even remember the refrain from the theme: "it takes... all kinds of vegetables... all kinds of vegetables... to make a vegetable soup!!" Back in the 70's, things were still groovy like this! The first part of the show was a puppet skit called "Outerscope 1" about kids who had made a rocket in their backyard. Their adventures were very 70'sish inclusive- the most memorable for me being the Tree Treats and the YunYuns. Tree treats were puppets made out of oranges and were the upper chaste of their planet, while YunYuns were onions and lower chaste. Social commentary in a kids show- who'da thunk?!? Other sequences were somewhat "Zoom-like" with inclusiveness and exposure to different cultures, etc. This show aired in Syracuse, NY at 6:15 in the morning & I would literally be waiting for it to start as a youngun.

And Big Blue Marble! International inclusiveness and sensitivity training. This was on Saturday mornings very early-- which leads me to believe these were both syndicated shows.

Edited by divajean13207, Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:09 PM.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:23 PM

Yes, there was a show called Samurai Pizza Cats, yet another cartoon inspired by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

For years I had a subscription to Starlog, which was very fond of doing stories on old scifi shows from the 60s. Irwin Allen got lots of ink. I remember they did numerous features on Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. All before my time, so I never would have heard of them without the magazine. Had to give up the subscription when it got too expensive.

I do remember Big Blue Marble, Villa Allegra, and the original Electric Company.

JedimasterElvis

JedimasterElvis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:38 PM

Laaa, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la, laaaa
VILLA ALLEGRE!

AlissaBeth

AlissaBeth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:27 PM

I do know that it followed Out of this World, about Evie, a girl who was half alien, half human. She spoke to her dad via some glowing orb thing, and her mom was Donna Pescow (sp?), annoying Annette from "Saturday Night Fever". Occasionally she would touch her fingers together to freeze time for some reason or another.

I remember that show! I had read a book by one of my childhood faves, Paula Danziger, about a girl whose family moved to the first moon colony and I remember that I used to get mixed up about which stuff had happened to the girl in the book and which stuff happened to the girl on that show.

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

I remember Wonderama

Sonny Fox and Bob McCallister. McCallister was actually a magician. My Dad had a friend that was a member of the NY Magicians Guild, and he got us in to see their annual award shows. It was the coolest thing when I was a kid.

Officer Joe Bolton

Swinging the night stick. And there was also some captain something. Sounded kinda bombed. "Eight bells, that means its 3 o'clock kids..."

It's About Time

Its about time, its about space. Its about blahdy blah blahdy blah... human race that's all I remember.

Ball Four

If you read the book, its obvious why you couldn't make a show about it. But I think it was the 70's. Bounton used to pitch for the Clifton Tigers semi-pro team right in NJ for many year until he made it back to the majors with his knuckleball for a season with the Braves, IIRC.

Was there a show called "Then Came Bronson"?

Edited by Kilgore Trout, Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:42 PM.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

The thing I remember most about "Big Blue Marble" is that I got my first pen pal from the show. Unfortunately, I found out that I wasn't good at writing letters (kinda critical), so we lost touch. So Michael if you are out there, hi! :)

spritz

spritz

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:01 PM

Does anybody remember The Adventures of Superboy? It was about Clark Kent/Superboy, the college years. It was kind of an obscure show though. The show never came close to reaching the popularity that the current Smallville has attained. Then again, it was only a syndicated show, and I think it aired during the weekends.

I do know that it followed Out of this World, about Evie, a girl who was half alien, half human.

There was another syndicated show that aired around the same time as Out of this World and The Adventures of Superboy that I used to watch; it was called Small Wonder. That wacky robot girl always provided some good laughs.

valeriel

valeriel

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:07 PM

I do remember Big Blue Marble, Villa Allegra, and the original Electric Company. Vermicious Knid

Laaa, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la, laaaa
VILLA ALLEGRE! jedimasterelvis

OMG!!! I totally forgot about Villa Allegra & Electric Company!! I LOVED EC. "12 banana cream pies....."

Edited by valeriel, Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:08 PM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

I kinda remember Suberboy. It came on after My Secret Identity in my area, which was a pretty natural show to pair it with.

(edit: bad typobeast!)

Edited by selkie, Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:16 PM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 4:57 AM

It's frightening but I only don't know about 6 shows mentioned on this entire thread of over a hundred pages.
Probably the most obscure show I could come up with is the Kalikacks. It was supposed to be a comedy and was so bad it was pulled after only one ep. I still remember one of the scenes had to do with a guy interviewing a mechanic who was giving tips on how to sell bad used cars to people. As I recall this was not just a pilot but an actual show.

Inside OUT may or may not have been a pilot. It had Farrah Fawcett in it and was a spy spoof.

I do need help with this one. I can't remember the title and would be curious if anybody can name it. It was a children's show that was on in the early afternoon daily (as opposed to on Saturday mornings) and the central figure was this really fat guy painted green. He sang his national anthem which went "Gory Gory Transylvania, the werewolves and vampires will maim yah" it had a bunch of short skits each ep and a running punch line where different characters would say "imagine a 3 toed sloth!!!" There was also a swamy in some skits but that is about all I can remember. I remember I used to watch it all the time because it was interesting to see what people who must have all been very stoned could produce. If there was one coherent thought during it's run they certainly hid it well.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 3:34 PM

Does anyone remember a Saturday morning show about baseball hosted by Johnny Bench? Please tell me that I wasn't dreaming this.

anadyr21

anadyr21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

It's nice to see some people remember some of the more obscure shows. I haven't seen this one mentioned.

There was a show called Star Games in the mid 1980s. It was similar to the Battle of the Network Stars, but the teams consisted of 3 men and 3 women from different tv shows. There were teams from the Brady Bunch, Days of Our Lives, even the Police Acadamy and Porky's movies. It was hosted by Dick Butkus and Bruce Jenner and came on Saturdays before Solid Gold, I think. Does anyone else remember this?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

The thing I remember most about "Big Blue Marble"

Ooooohhhh...Big Blue Marble came on at about 11-11:30 on Saturdays, so aired in sort of a transitional dreamtime between Saturday morning cartoons and actual real-life outdoor playtime. I remember the feeling as always a little poignant when it was over--what was that closing song? "The world is just a marble..." or something?--like baby childhood is over and now it's time to take a step outside.

Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

Does anyone remember a Saturday morning show about baseball hosted by Johnny Bench? Please tell me that I wasn't dreaming this.

I think this was called "The Baseball Bunch" or something with bunch in the name. They had boys and girls learning the fundmentals of baseball. Plus, there was the Chicken.

auntie317

auntie317

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

Okay, here's one that I don't know the name, but it was one of my faves.

Sitcom about a family with a grown son and the mom runs a daycare center in the house and there was the one really funny episode where the son feels ignored so he dreams he the lost Brady Bunch kid.

Name, anyone?

Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:24 PM

Step-by-Step Patrick Duffy, Suzanne Sommers and the kid who dreamt of being in the Brady Bunch played Greg in the Brady Bunch movies.

Watch it people, I'm on a roll! With mayo.

ETA: Shelwood is correct. I am off my roll. No mayo, just crack.

Edited by Beelzebubba, Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:14 PM.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

auntie317, I think that was Day By Day. (It's been mentioned upthread). The son was Christopher Barnes, who went on to play Greg in The Brady Bunch Movie. Also had Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Courtney Thorne-Smith, and a very small Thora Birch. The mom was played by the female reporter from Lou Grant.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

Yes, there was a show called Then Came Bronson.

I do need help with this one. I can't remember the title and would be curious if anybody can name it. It was a children's show that was on in the early afternoon daily (as opposed to on Saturday mornings) and the central figure was this really fat guy painted green. He sang his national anthem which went "Gory Gory Transylvania, the werewolves and vampires will maim yah" it had a bunch of short skits each ep and a running punch line where different characters would say "imagine a 3 toed sloth!!!" There was also a swamy in some skits but that is about all I can remember. I remember I used to watch it all the time because it was interesting to see what people who must have all been very stoned could produce. If there was one coherent thought during it's run they certainly hid it well.

Sounds like The Hilarious House of Frightenstein to me, which starred the late, great, lamented Billy Van in a thousand and one (okay, I'm exaggerating... slightly) roles. It was a Canadian kids show, from the early 70's I believe. The actor who played Igor (the really fat green guy) passed away in the 70's I think, Billy Van just passed away about a year ago.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:06 AM

Dinosaucers! Lord almonkey, does that take me back. Funniest part? I recently discovered that one of the show's writers was one of my favorite authors, Diane Duane.

auntie317

auntie317

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:03 AM

Yes, thank you Shelwood! That's it. I don' t know why, but I remember that show being pretty funny.

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

Yes, there was a show called Then Came Bronson.

Thanks KS. Wasn't it some guy riding around on his motorcycle for no reason? I vaguely remember some guy with a wool knit hat riding a honda around.

Back then almost everything was a detective show. Mannix, McCloud, Columbo, Baretta, McMillian, Streets of SF, and Longstreet, Cannon. I think there was a pilot for a Mexican detective series also, but I don't think it was picked up.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:59 PM

Ok, over the past 10 years I have been unable to find a SINGLE PERSON who has any memory of this show. At this point I'm pretty sure I dreamed it. It was about a family (of 4, I think-- mom, dad, boy and girl in their early teens) who were traveling in Egypt and somehow got sucked through the eye at the top of the Great Pyramid. I vividly remember a line that went something like "You know, like on the back of a dollar!" They ended up in an alternate universe, or something, where for some reason police were after them. The alternate universe stuff that I saw was all with people, so it wasn't as if there were big blue aliens or anything. The only actual plot I remember had the kids (the family?) forming a band in the new universe, and becoming incredibly famous singing Beatles songs. I think they had gross, matching blue and white suits, and of course they got away right before the AU Cops got them. Anyone? Please? I think the title might have had the word "World" in it, but that also could be, you know, totally wrong.

ETA: AH! Dani257 remembers!

And, anyone remember Otherworld? I caught reruns on Sci-fi (there weren't many). It was about a family that kept getting sent to these strange worlds, and they had to find out how to get home.

Thank you, Dani. And now I'm going to a)set up a Tivo wishlist, and b)call everyone I know with the news.

Edited by sakana1, Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:08 PM.