The Meet Market: Around The World In 80 Days

• Please log in to reply

30559 replies to this topic

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Well, I did win the Megamillions.... No, I lie, I'm still skint. But I'll buy you all a drink at TARCon providing I make it, and providing it's before 9:00PM! ;-)

I hate having to specify a weakness, because I have so many to choose from! And now, to the list, I have to add dark chocolate... But when I must give a weakness, I try to mention something which can also possibly be seen in a positive light. I might say I'm too single minded. When I get immersed in a project, I can become too focused on it and fail to give proper consideration to other issues that may need my attention. Being able to focus my attention to that degree can be useful, but I have to actively take steps not to overdo it.

Something like that usually sounds better than, say, flatulence.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

I think what they are looking for is self-awareness. No one is a perfect employee. And that you have considered the issue and taken steps to compensate or correct, so you have problem solving skills and a willingness to change.

bankerchick

bankerchick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

So, saying that I just care too much, or that I work too hard, are not winning responses? ;)

Not that I would say this in an interview, but something I have noticed over the last few years, is that the idea that I might want to master a job before moving on to the next one is apparently a relic of old people like me. Now it seems that the winning strategy is to get a job at a certain level, just so you can cross it off your list and move to the next level. Hopefully you can do it in no more than a year; once you have been in a job for two years, you have sent the message you are too complacent and it's hard to move on.

Netfoot can I tell you how disappointed I am that you have decided to go to TARcon this year, but missed last year when I was there? Mind you, everyone except mpstar and I missed last year's party.

So, I just finished reading The Hunger Games. Not exactly great literature, but I did enjoy the story. I think I'll wait a few weeks until the crowds die down before I see the movie though.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

can I tell you how disappointed I am that you have decided to go to TARcon this year, but missed last year when I was there? --bankerchick

It would be best if you told me that in person, at TARCon!

Seriously, I wish I could attend them all, and would if I could, but i] winter weather scares me (I nearly lost my jools outside The Early Show, and that was May), and ii] things are in some turmoil right now, with regards family and finances. I was branded a wastrel for attending two years ago, and when the word leaks out that I'm coming again, some very heated comments will be made! Of course, I don't care what the others think, (one other in particular, really) and I'm itching to book my tickets.

There are so many folks here I'd like to say hello to in person. I am actually more interested in meeting fellow TWoPers than the racers themselves. (Although that Monday morning, I really, really enjoyed meeting and talking to racers over breakfast.) But yes, if I go in a month and don't get to meet you, I will surely be disappointed. Which is why I hope you will find a way to be there. And the same goes for all here, because I'd just love to meet everyone.

But the way my luck runs, when I go, there will be minimum turnout of friends and racers, and when I can't make it, an unusually high number of you will show up and report back on the huge numbers of racers (and probably even Phil) who managed to put in an appearance!

mpstar

mpstar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

While I will be in NYC the weekend of TarCon, I won't be at TarCon itself. I'm having surgery right after that weekend and have to get home and do a few things prior to heading to the hospital. But, I can probably be tracked down for brunch on Sunday if that works for anyone.

And what surgery? After years and months of deliberation, I am having gastric bypass. While I can be disciplined in many things, consistently keeping my weight at a healthy level isn't one of them. I struggled with the stigma that I was taking the easy way out. After a year of therapy, classes, food tracking, etc, I have found it is not so different than any other weight loss plan. You still need to make permanent lifestyle changes. My primary doc has been on me to lose weight for years. I honestly thought he would give me the "you can do this without the surgery" speech, but when I brought the possibility of doing this up, he surprised me with agreeing that I should look into it.

Originally I thought, I'll go to Tarcon, then head off to the hospital the next day, but that really isn't going to work.

So, while I'm still nervous, I'm also really looking forward to moving ahead with this.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I struggled with the stigma that I was taking the easy way out. --mpstar

Oh, mpstar!

Naturally, I am concerned for your safety. Because even the simplest surgery is not without risk. But I am confident that you would not have considered this without first coming to fully understand the ramifications. I'm sure your decision is a fully informed one. And these procedures are fairly mainstream now, so I'm sure it's all straightforward, but I'll still send you my best wishes.

Forget the stigma! Anyone who thinks less of you for this is an asshat. If you know this is right for you, then do it. And if the result is improved health and increased peace of mind, then there is no need to hesitate, because there is no real downside.

Alas, this means one more buddy I won't get to see at TARCon. (My NYC Girlfriend tells me she is not likely to make it.) Just today I was remembering a pleasant evening of conversation and pizza, and wondering if your brother might be available to join us for an encore. I was planning to arrive Saturday evening, so I should be good for Sunday breakfast, second breakfast, brunch, elevenses, luncheon, tiffin, and/or high tea, so long as it doesn't keep me from getting to TARCon in good time. I expect to fly out some time Monday, but you will be on my mind. And I'm sure that on Sunday night, one or two can be persuaded to join me in lifting a glass to you!

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

I was branded a wastrel for attending two years ago, and when the word leaks out that I'm coming again, some very heated comments will be made! Of course, I don't care what the others think, (one other in particular, really) and I'm itching to book my tickets.

Wait, a wastrel? Isn't it your family that does that adventure race thing around the world? Yes, how dare you go to New York City twice in two years...

Unfortunately, I can't make it, but I'll be there in spirit.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Auntlada, you can find a "fault" that actually makes you look good. For example, you could say you are a perfectionist and seeing an apostrophe with a plural noun makes steam come out of your ears, etc.

Netfoot, I had the same thought as dogfoot! Wastrel, indeed. It's your money, isn't it?

I wish I could come to TARCon but I will actually be in England! In Tewkesbury on May 6. I don't know if I can catch TAR over there. If I can the earliest would be 1:00 am Monday morning (?).

bucketyell

bucketyell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

TARcon might be a possibility for me this year. We will be in Boston at that time but apparently bus fare is $15 round trip from Boston to NYC. Now to sell this idea to hubby!

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Isn't it your family that does that adventure race thing around the world?

Yes. But really, it is only one particular person that seems to think that I'm throwing money around. The same person that travels globally 20-25 times a year.

Yes, how dare you go to New York City twice in two years...

Yes, but you see, if you are God's Gift to humanity and the sun shines out of your ass, then you can do pretty much anything you like. I on the other hand...

It's your money, isn't it?

It certainly is. And boy, is The Gift sorry about that!

Now to sell this idea to hubby!

Are you trying to sell the idea that he stay in Boston and you come alone? Or that you both come together? Different stratagems need to be employed.

mpstar

mpstar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Seeing the topic of TarCon XX makes me wish I could go, but alas, it really isn't in the cards. I'll be back in PA, watching in my living room. I feel I should drink right along with all of you. Anyone want to set up their laptop on Skype in Houndstooth? I could be there virtually.

I am downright punchy right now. I am on day 9 of working 10 in a row, with an arrival and departure schedule that careens all over the clock. In the past week my hours have been 3-11pm, 10-6, 8:30-4:30, 3-11, 9-5, 9-4, 2-10, 3-11, 10-6 and tomorrow is 8:30-4:30. I'm starting to get cranky, too.

So much for the quiet routine of being a librarian.

skeb

skeb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Coming in late to the fast food party...for me, it's Sonic all the way. We were Sonic-less here for awhile and had to wait until our summer beach trip to get it. Now, there's one about 5 miles away and it's all I can do to stay away. I loooove their tots and cherry limeaid. Hardee's makes a pretty good burger, and I've been to In-n-Out twice when we visited CA. That's pretty top notch. In terms of "medium" restaurants, we try to stay away from the Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, Olive Gardens, etc. There are so many great, independently owned "medium" restaurants in my city that I can't justify going to a chain. But, if we're traveling, and the local faves aren't an option, I like Red Robin, Firebirds, and Calif. Pizza Kitchen. I love a good, brick oven pizza, and Firebirds smoked chicken wings are soooo good.

I've been remiss in my TWoPing lately. I've been lurking, but don't seem to have time to get on the computer. I do most of my internetting from my phone these days. Glad to see everyone's doing fine. I so wish I could come to TARCon, but it's just not gonna happen this year. We've had too much other traveling fun lately. We were up in DC last weekend to see Bruce Springsteen at the Verizon Center and stayed in a very nice hotel right across the street. Wow...I know I've said it before, but DAMN he puts on a great show! Amazing. I always leave a Bruce concert feeling like I've just been to a frat party and a tent revival all at the same time.

So, while I'm still nervous, I'm also really looking forward to moving ahead with this.

Good luck, mpstar! Hope everything goes well.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Why does the race always start at Sam's suppertime even if the race is delayed?

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I went around to my doctor's office today. I was next door at the supermarket and ran into the nurse who reminded me that I owed her a chocolate bar. (I don't know exactly how, but whenever I interact with her, I always end up owing her a chocolate bar!) I have not been over there for a while. My weight-loss programme stalled at 34 lbs. over a month ago, and as recently as last week, was stubbornly unmoved.

But I have not faltered, and in fact have redoubled my efforts. And today, when I delivered the chocolate bar, the nurse insisted I get on the scale. Another 7 lbs. off since last Tuesday! That's 41 in total. I need to make that up to at least 50, or I won't be able to sample any of those Fast- and Medium-food restaurants everyone suggested.

My boy's arthritis is troubling him tonight. He cried, coming home in the car, and damn it, I cried too. I gave him cheesy macaroni pie for dinner, with some chicken and a little peas'n'rice. He loves cheesy macaroni. The only thing he likes better is a good quality Stilton or Gorgonzola. After dinner, I put him to bed, where he is comfortable, and when ever I stroke his back he gives a huge sigh of contentment. Or maybe it's resignation (go away and let me sleep, Dad!). I'll get some painkillers for him tomorrow. He occasionally needs one to get him through a rough spot. He'll probably be 100% by tomorrow anyway, but I'll get some anyway and keep them on hand for future use.

auntlada, a more intriguing question is, how does such a young kid know when the show is starting?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Great work on the diet Netfoot.

Sorry your son's been hurting. He's such a good boy. I'm sure it's tough to see him feeling poorly.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Sorry your son's been hurting.

He's OK now. He gets periodic bouts of trouble with his arthritis. He's on a 5-day course of anti-inflammatory painkillers that will fix him right up. In the mean time, he isn't in pain.

On Wednesday, when it flared up, a self-professed expert told me that I was using the wrong painkillers and that I could cause him harm. So for the whole night until I could get to the vet next morning, he suffered without meds. Turns out the meds are fine and the expert is an arsehole who now has to answer to me.

My fault, of course. You should never listen to experts...

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Well, at least not self-professed ones.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Today's Pulitzer for local reporting went to the Harrisburg Patriot News's Sara Ganim, a crime reporter who broke and followed the Sandusky sex scandal. She is 24 YEARS OLD! Can you imagine? It's fabulous and yet, how do you live up to that your whole life? You've reached the pinnacle of professional achievement for your industry when you're a puppy. A very tenacious, talented, fearless puppy, but still. I have a friend who is sports editor at that paper and they are all thrilled for her, of course, but a bit shellshocked. They did know she was doing something really important. And the paper has gotten all sorts of props for being able and willing to cover the heck out of the story from the beginning. I'm just really freaking out about this and I have no idea why. I don't know her. But I just...wow. All you can say is wow.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

BoDiva, well, we need a new Mike Wallace...

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Emotional day. I have a dear friend who is a sports talk radio host. We've been friends for about 20 years. He emailed me a couple of weeks ago asking if I was ok, because I hadn't been listening (we usually have quite a bit of give and take in emails during his show). I didn't have the heart to tell him I just can't stand his on-air partner any more and haven't been listening because it's too stressful. So this week, with the Flyers in the playoffs, I decided to listen. I sent an email that was probably unfair to him because I realize he likes his partner (I don't know him, I just know his annoying on-air personality). And for the first time ever he got mad at me. And signed his mad email "Goodbye" Name.

Goodbye? What? So for about an hour I was beside myself (yes, sobbing at work). Fortunately we have a mutual friend whom I texted and we talked about it while waiting for my friend to email me back (because he's on air, so it isn't immediate live communication) and forth until we were all better (I did apologize, I should have apologized, but "Goodbye!")?

He meant it as kind of like hanging up the phone. But I don't think it is odd that I took it as "GOODBYE!" Our mutual friend said she's more like a guy anyway so she figured from the beginning he didn't mean it that way. I said I may not wear pink but I'm a girly girl and I think men are mysterious and stinky. So now I'm exhausted. But I think I needed a good stress relief cry for work. So there's that.

Suen

Suen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Sorry you went through the wringer today Bo. Incidents like this really show how much of communication happens outside the words we write and how much we, as readers, bring to the message.

I hope it was the type of emotion release for you that will lead to a good night's sleep and a better day tomorrow.

Edited by Suen, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

BoDiva, it's the sun spots, really, I swear it is. It hurts like hell.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Thanks. I DID sleep well. And hungry Ziggy didn't start to meow until 5 mins before the alarm was set to go off.

Sun spots...I'll take that.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Just back from the doctor(s). Blood sugar is 5.4, weight down another 2 lbs. since last week (a total of 43). Echocardiogram and stress tests show no cause for concern (phew!). So I guess it's time for me to book my tickets to TARCon.....

mpstar

mpstar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Netfoot, I am so impressed by your progress. My blood sugar is at 6.0, down from a high of 6.3. Since last July I am down about 10 pounds. Tomorrow is all my pre-surgical meetings, tests and final weigh in. Then, it's just getting through the last two weeks of the semester.

I'm at the point in the semester where I am snippy with everyone and just generally in a state of annoyance. And this summer, I am actually working a few weeks, which doesn't improve my mood. It will, however, improve my bottom line, as my retirement is based on my 3 highest earning years, so I'm sucking it up and putting in the time.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Thanks for all your help with the resume and cover letter and interview stuff. They called to offer me the job today, so it worked. Of course, I accepted immediately, as it's more money, regular hours and actual holidays. And, I hope, less stress. I also recommend "60 Seconds and You're Hired." It really helped me focus on things rather than ramble around hoping to say something good.

ETA: I hope everyone else looking for a new job (or a job) has as good luck.

Edited by auntlada, Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Congratulations to Netfoot, mpstar, and auntlada for important commitment and accomplishments!

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

mpstar, Barbados is the Diabetes Capital of the world. And the thought of gradual amputation of extremities is my recurring nightmare. So, three months ago when my blood sugar was 7-point-lots, I decided to eschew macaroni and cheese and learn to love boiled cabbage. My doctor threatening me with a beating helped motivate me as well.

In fact she threatened me with another beating today, if I return from TARCon heavier than when I left home, so all that useful fast- and medium-food restaurant advice may not be needed! Or I could enjoy myself, and upon my return just stay well away from her until I am back where I should be. And she also insists I get a haircut, so as to "improve my chances with the girls."

Anyway, I've been eating less carbs/fats/sugars and going for a vigorous walk every day. I'll never be 131 lbs. again, but if I can lose another 43 lbs. then I'll only be 1 lb. away from the weight target I have set for myself.

At the same time, chest pains and other symptoms had me quite convinced that I'd be having open-heart surgery before the end of the month. It's only yesterday morning I got the word from the cardiologist that I'm absolutely fine in that regard. My doctor said "I told you so, all along!" and it's true. She did. But you have to check, to be sure, right?

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

so all that useful fast- and medium-food restaurant advice may not be needed! Or I could enjoy myself, and upon my return just stay well away from her until I am back where I should be.

Not necessarily! Everyone (or, close enough to everyone) is offering "Heart-Smart" or lighter menu items, so you'll be able to enjoy yourself guilt-free! Besides, wasn't there a lot of walking involved on your last trip?

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Plus, when else other than a holiday are you supposed to indulge yourself (with non-habit forming, legal activities)? And it cracks me up that your doctor is so concerned about your chances with girls...

Should habit forming also have a dash? It looks odd.

I dunno if any of you have AT&T iPhones, but if you're out of contract, you can get them legally unlocked by AT&T now. I can't tell you how happy it made me last night when my UK sim card worked in my iPhone. No more carrying two phones around!