The Meet Market: Around The World In 80 Days

• Please log in to reply

30550 replies to this topic

turtle dove

turtle dove

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:12 AM

Rabrab, congrats on cutting down!
I don't know if you've tried this kind of toothpaste: it's not minty, but it's baking-soda-y. Which might be the greater of the evils, in some's opinion. Tom's of Maine toothpastes, I think, tend to have a milder flavour then most, and I believe that there is a baking-soda type--probably the original flavour. You can usually find them in the health food section. Maybe worth checking out, anyway.

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:46 AM

I was just going to suggest Tom's of Maine as an option. In addition to having mild flavors, I think they also make an orange-flavored toothpaste, which might be marketed for kids but which would still be, you know, a toothpaste. I met Tom himself a couple of times, and he really is very determined to put out the best quality product that meets the parameters of his beliefs (excellent natural ingredients, no animal testing).

rlb8031

rlb8031

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:54 AM

Rabrab, all of the baking soda toothpastes have a less minty flavor but I found that they require some getting used to. As a kid I used to have to brush with straight baking soda (don't ask) so I find them to be okay, but I have a lot of friends and relatives that find them to be very bitter. If you can brush with baking soda, the baking soda toothpastes are okay.

My other suggestion is that you try any of the toothpastes that are marketed to kids. They tend to have bubble gum, cherry, orange flavors and the like. Don't know if any of those are better or worse than the mint, but they tend to market the fact that flavors that are less strong and more palatable.

bungle3358

bungle3358

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Maybe I'm just being a wuss and I need to toughen up and let them fight it out. It's hard for me to let them go at it so badly. The first time I introduced them, I thought the current cat was gonna take the new cat's head off. So after that, I backed off, and took it real slow. The new cat has its own everything now, including litter box, food & water bowls, toys, and its own room.

It has been a week though, and the current cat has calmed down a lot. Not completely, but enough that I'm not too worried about her doing major damage to the new guy. It's funny because she's pretty small - 7 or 8 pounds and the new guy is big - maybe 12 pounds. But when she attacks, he runs from her like she's a lion or something.

I said if I get a male cat I'd name him Phil, but the SPCA named him Connor, and I really like that, and I think that's what it's gonna stay.

I do have a friend, though, who swears by dabbing tuna juice on the backs of both/all of the cats. She says that the mutual grooming that this generally inspires goes a long way toward defusing any serious wrangling.

I would think this would make them want to eat each other, but I may try this if I get desperate.

Chandler & Phoebe, erinjsnark? Cute.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:36 AM

But when she attacks, he runs from her like she's a lion or something.

Hee, Smokey and Shayna were like that. When he moved in he was 8 weeks old and she was an adult cat. Eventually he grew bigger then her but he never realized it. She was always the dominent cat.

Arianrhod

Arianrhod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:07 PM

I love Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I've used it for years now. Rabrab there is a cinnamon flavor, as well as the flavors the others talked about. I like the Spearmint flavor the best, it's very light so you may even be able to handle a mint in that line if you want a minty flavor. The packaging says that once you get used to Tom's, other "normal" toothpastes will be overwhelming and too sugary, and I've definitely found that to be so!

NovacScott

NovacScott

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 6:07 PM

My wife loves Tom's of Maine. I can't stand it.

turtle dove

turtle dove

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:11 PM

It definetely took some getting used to the more chalky texture. Now I'm a convert, though.

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

Hmm, I'll have to give the toothpaste another chance myself. I've been using Tom's of Maine mouthwashes for years -- I love the cinnamon flavor. I don't see the point in mouthwashes or toothpastes with a lot of sugar or sugar substitutes, and I'm somewhat allergic to mint, so it might warrant making a switch.

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:30 PM

oooh! I have to chime in, simply because I'm pretty much addicted to ToM's gingermint toothpaste. I absolutely love the taste of it. Ginger in a toothpaste is simply wonderful. Comes in baking soda and non baking soda.

NovacScott

NovacScott

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:50 PM

Ack. The only thing I like ginger in is Gilligan's Island. :)

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:05 AM

But, but but---No gingersnap cookies? No crystallized ginger candy?
Hmmmm.
Scratches head, tries to imagine a world without ginger (and I don't mean Tina Louise.)
Fails.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:07 AM

Well, considering the general consensus here, I'll be picking up some Tom's of Maine toothpaste at Whole Foods this afternoon. It sounds like the hard part will be deciding what flavor to get. Thanks, all.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

I'd just like to chime in and express dismay over this whole tooth whitening phenomena in the US (I'm assuming other countries aren't as obsessed - well, maybe Canada).

Up until about 4-5 years ago, people would comment about how white my teeth were. I just brush normally, but I don't drink coffee or soda, and very little wine, and I guess they're just naturally white. With the prevalence of people having their teeth whitened, I haven't had any white teeth remarks. And my teeth haven't suddenly become yellow, it's just that the bar has been raised by all the fake white teeth. This must be how someone with beautiful natural blonde hair feels with all the dyers that abound.

I've tried that Tom's toothpaste at my boyfriend's house. I didn't have a problem with it being chalky, and probably will buy it the next time I run out of my Colgate.

whereverthefk

whereverthefk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

I agree, iMissEthan-- it's a pretty ridiculous trend. Plus, along with this annoying phenomenon has apparently come either (1) the need to lie about whitening (I guess tooth whitening is the perm/hair color of the new millenium?) or (2) a rabid suspicion that everyone is in fact doing it.

Case in point: When I went to the dentist last month, the hygeinist asked me if I'd had my teeth whitened. I told her (truthfully) "Um, I used those Crest Whitestrips thingies for 2 weeks like a year and a half ago..." To which she replied conspiratorially, "Seriously, where did you get them done?" When I repeated my previous answer, she actually snorted and dropped a completely skeptical "Oooooookaaaaaay..." on me before snitting away. Not kidding.

The hell?? First of all, you've seen my teeth, iMissEthan-- far from blinding, they're NORMAL. But more importantly, what the hell was my dentist's freaking assistant doing trying to "out" me as a closeted tooth whitener?!? It's time to stop the madness, people. Really.

turtle dove

turtle dove

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

what the hell was my dentist's freaking assistant doing trying to "out" me as a closeted tooth whitener?!?

This was hilarious! Those teeth whitening stripy-things kind of scare me. Remind me of the craze for nose-strips by Biore. You know what I mean--"rip off and SEE your blackhead gunk!" I think I tried those once and felt like I duct-taped my nose. Plus, duct-tape is cheaper.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods (Canada), tooth-whitening doesn't seem to be quite the craze as these reports evidence it as being in the States. Still, I feel your pain, iMissEthan. I felt like that when suddenly everyone started going to tanning beds and stuff. My naturally tanned skin started looking downright ghostly. *sniff*

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

I love the teeth-whitening strips. But I used to have yellow teeth despite doing all the right things, dentally speaking, and I was quite self-conscious about them. Now, I just look like a generic coffee-drinker.

My dentist recommended I try them, by the way. He says it saves people a lot of money compared to having it done in his office, and he thinks most people are like me -- pleased to have some improvement, not looking for blinding whiteness. He has a 3-month wait for appointments, so I guess he doesn't care about losing money from that procedure.

jennblevins

jennblevins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:52 PM

What bugs me about these stupid trends is that even when the trend goes away, it's just sort of expected that you'll continue doing it and add whatever the next trend is to your 'beauty' routine as well....

It's insane ...

Loraxe

Loraxe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:50 AM

Do you guys have the New Aquafresh with foaming action? My dentist gave me a free sample. First of all, foaming? I am not washing the floor here. Plus, there is a huge warning about making sure kids don't swallow it. Just how bad would that be? Is it toxic? Finally, I think someone took the word PASTE too seriously. It is supposed to be orange flavoured. But it tastes like, well, paste.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Kanuck!

Kanuck!

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

The use of the word 'foaming' makes me think of sitcom 'wacky hijinks' - you know, the exploding wash machine - not what I want coming from my mouth. It would be hard to rival the taste of the fluoride pastes at the dentist's - no matter what flavour it's supposed to be, it's still vulgar.

Regarding the warning label, I think that's on most tubes of toothpaste theses days (at least, it's on mine) - if kids get too much fluoride by eating toothpaste, it can have unpleasant effects - I think turning their developping teeth grey, or something along those lines.

Arianrhod

Arianrhod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

Huh. I always wondered why toothpastes carried that warning. What's the reasoning behind foaming Aquafresh, anyway? Is it supposed to be like the bathtub cleaning stuff and "scrub" on its own or something?

Edited by Arianrhod, Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:05 AM.

whereverthefk

whereverthefk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:34 AM

Just had to pipe up again to confess to the torrid love affair I'm currently having with my Crest Cinnamon Rush toothpaste. I'm a bit of a cinnamon junkie (my current prize possession is my Altoids Heatmiser tin, which I keep refilling with cinnamon Altoids from normal tins-- YAY!), and that stuff is freaking AWESOME.

(Whereverthesister thinks I've gone completely mental with the tooth cleaning-- "You're brushing AGAIN?!? What is that, like 5 times today?!? Freak.")

turtle dove

turtle dove

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

Whereverthesister thinks I've gone completely mental with the tooth cleaning-- "You're brushing AGAIN?!? What is that, like 5 times today?!? Freak."

She should be thanking her lucky stars that her sis is devoted to dental hygiene! The only time I started to get alarmed by someone's devotion to hygiene is when I found out my roomate brushed her cat's teeth. Daily. I love my cat and all....but.... Of course, I should add that said roomate was studying to become a dental hygenist. (I can't spell today, sorry, folks). I guess she practices what she preaches.

I am suffering from massive it's-the-beginning-of-another-semester-and-I-can't-get-my-ass-in-gear-itis.

Lochnessanyc

Lochnessanyc

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:23 AM

Just had to pipe up again to confess to the torrid love affair I'm currently having with my Crest Cinnamon Rush toothpaste. I'm a bit of a cinnamon junkie (my current prize possession is my Altoids Heatmiser tin, which I keep refilling with cinnamon Altoids from normal tins-- YAY!),

Well I hope you know, whereverthefk, that your toothpaste and your Altoids tin are both cheating on you! Wow that is some toothpaste, I used to be tempted to buy the kiddie bubble gum or berry flavored toothpastes because I am just not a minty person. But this stuff is amazing.

And the Heatmiser, well he just rocks. Oddly though I am not a fan of hot weather.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:22 PM

Damn, now that song is going through my head. "I'm Mister Green Christmas , I'm Mister Sun, I'm Mister Heat Blister, I'm Mister Hundred and One"

Edited by M. Darcy, Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:24 PM.

Team Guido

Team Guido

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:55 PM

Just had to pipe up again to confess to the torrid love affair I'm currently having with my Crest Cinnamon Rush toothpaste. I'm a bit of a cinnamon junkie (my current prize possession is my Altoids Heatmiser tin, which I keep refilling with cinnamon Altoids from normal tins-- YAY!), and that stuff is freaking AWESOME

Having met you....we understand! ;>)

TPorter2

TPorter2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

I'm looking for a picture of Chris at the Venice Roadblock for a Pixel Challenge entry. Anybody have a resource for this?

BTW, there are several TAR entries in the latest Pixel Challenge in TV Potluck.

whereverthefk

whereverthefk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

Having met you....we understand! ;>)

MWAH!

*blows a cinnamon-flavored kiss to all 3 Guidos*

When are you boys coming back to our humble city, btw? NYC needs its Guido--fix, and it's been ages (ok, months, but it feels like ages)!!!

(Though actually I don't recommend right now for a trip-- it's f-f-f-f-frickin' f-f-f-f-freezing!!!)

Edited by whereverthefk, Jan 15, 2004 @ 5:46 PM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:26 AM

Same here in Washington DC. Below zero wind chills this morning. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thank God for long underwear and fleece. I had my scarf covering the lower part of my face and my glasses kept getting fogged up though.

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

It was 9 below this morning when I got up, with wind chills of up to (down to?) 40 below. (Boston area.) Schools were closing like mad, which I frankly think is nonsense. But yeah, it's a tad chilly out there.