The Meet Market: Around The World In 80 Days

• Please log in to reply

30552 replies to this topic

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Good god! Didn't you just acquire him? (Or he, you?) I mean, he's still only a youngster, right?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

No, Netfoot, the new young extremely healthy cat is Ziggy. Claude is a 9-year-old and is apparently at prime diabetes onset age. Fortunately, I seem to be a really good catmom and noticed right away when his habits changed, so there's not other systemic or organ damage. He'll just need daily insulin and will be good as new.

ETA: Two shots a day. But very very little (1 unit) and I feel fairly confident. She also said their techs will cat sit and give him his shots and feed them while I'm away for 12 days this fall. So yay! Whatever it costs will be worth not worrying and not feeling like I'm imposing on a neighbor.

Edited by BoDiva, May 18, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Hey Bo, I had to do subdermal fuilds ( Needle& IV) with 17 year old Honeythunk and she last 17 months past her kidney failure diagnosis. And she was her usual imperious self right up until that upper respritory infection at the end. My husband ,my mom and our neighbor all ended up helping us out with her at some point. It wasn't a big deal. I'm sure Claude will be fine.

So we're off ot Maui for 6 days. which is exciting, but we planned this trip when we thought we would need the rest of my husbands vacation days to attend a family wedding. Which seems to not be happening, so I keep being really bummed that we aren't able to spend more time on vacation. (changing the tix would have been really expensive!)

This is somewhat in celebration of the fact that my dad is still with us. Some of you remember five years ago when he was put on Hospice care. ( actue kidney failure due to a bad medication reaction) His cancer is under control and he is still with us. It's amazing , frankly. And really that's what I should be focusing on. Happy three day weekend Y'all.

ETA Subdermal what? fluids - saline, ideally warmed up, sorry 'bout that...

Edited by honeycocoa, May 23, 2012 @ 12:35 AM.

flowerchild

flowerchild

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Bo, I have had a diabetic cat and I have many friends that had/have diabetic cats. All did quite nicely with the shots. As you already discovered, the biggest worry is finding a caretaker when you go away. Did the vet tell you to keep Karo syrup on-hand in case of a low blood sugar episode?

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Bo, I'm sorry about mixing up your kitties. I have little experience with cats, but according to others, it seems that Claude will continue to be his usual self for a good while yet.

It's a shame you couldn't just extend the vacation, honeycocoa. From my recent trip I know that just to change the ticket (even simply from a morning flight to an afternoon flight) would have been $150. Plus whatever extended hotel charges, etc. But I'm sure you will enjoy your vacation. And you will even have a little time to recover from it, once you get home! :-)

A completely different train of thought -- let me just say how strange it is to know that 'House' is no longer.

Edit: s/sime/time/;

Edited by Netfoot, May 22, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Claudie is doing great (thanks for the encouragement) and he's just fine with the shots. The first few weeks he'll go in for a glucose curve test every other Friday until they think he's on a good dose. I know about the Karo, and like any good confectioner I have it on hand. So that was easy. But I think he's well short of the dose he'll end up with. And the vet said their vet techs will do pet sitting and meds at my place while I'm away in September. I don't know how much it will cost. But I'll feel better not imposing on my neighbors for a lot more care than I'd want them to have to keep.

The vet said I was taking the news awfully well and I told her I'd had to take the news of liver cancer for Arthur and end-stage kidney disease for a number of kitties over the years, so something manageable and nonfatal? Not an issue.

honeycocoa, I'm so happy for you having your dad recover and having him with you for a longer time. Enjoy your time in paradise.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance since I have never had a cat, but why do so many of them have diabetes? I don't think of them like dogs eating everything they find, even if it's bad for them, and would hope the cat food out there is formulated to keep them healthy.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Doc said it isn't because he's fat. (Although he is, but he's been fatter and had no problem before.) Apparently it is most common in neutered males from 9-11 yo at onset. Claude is 9. And he never eats anything but his kibble. No idea.

Sunday we're doing a cool thing at church for Pentecost. A group of us are each reading the reading in a different language, with a staggered start (each started the 13 verses as the person in front of him/her finished his/her first verse). I was asked to do Russian, but discovered I really can't read with sufficient facility any more from the cyrillic text (I'd need practice time) so I've asked to do German. Oddly, I'm still quite facile in German. Maybe because it's so similar to English? Maybe just that it is in the same alphabet. We'll also have Mandarin, Tamil or Hindi (not sure which person will read), Spanish, Portuguese, and French. Nifty do!

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

We went gliding at the cliff today. Not a big crowd. Only four pilots plus family, and there were a fair number of passers-by who stopped for a chat, brief or lengthy. (Today is a public holiday.) We had a good time, and were still there hours after sunset, sampling some Trini '10 Cane' rum. Well, they were sampling, and I was observing. Verdict: Drinkable. Here is my son, relaxing, in the middle of everything. (MamaT, that was taken with your camera!)

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

He's such a little cutie Netfoot

princesslola

princesslola

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I've been MIA for the past many months but just popping by to see what you all have been up to. My job still sucks and I've been reassigned but that's a topic for another day. I'm also battling bronchitis for the 3rd time since December. I literally feel like my job is killing me. Ugh

On to the good news. Our son is graduating from High School this weekend....with honors! Considering his third grade teacher told us that (a) he was ADD and should be medicated (he's not) and (b) even if he was not ADD, he would never excel at school. Old hag. It turned out that he was not able to read yet (the son of a bookseller who couldn't read, oh the irony). Once he got the hang of it he's been a non-stop reader/learner.

We are very proud of him. Now, if I can only wrap my brain around the fact that he's going to go to Hollywood for college.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Sorry about both the job sitch and the bronchitis, princesslola. I did the bronchitis loop de loop a couple of winters ago and it was just draining. Try to rest even more than you think you need to if you possibly can. It really was the only thing that worked.

Congrats on your son's success and graduation. Enjoy all the festivities!

ETA:
If anyone is doing myfitnesspal and would like to friend me, I just started yesterday. But I think this really will help. And I think friending others will, as well. I'm BoDiva88. My one friend is doing a Biggest Losers at his company (he's the owner). Everyone is putting in $50 and the one with the biggest percentage weight loss by Labor Day wins. If he wins I think he has to use the money for a party. They've let me enter even though I'm "just" a customer.

Edited by BoDiva, May 30, 2012 @ 7:27 PM.

auntieB

auntieB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Where did everyone go??

I don't post so much but I always love keeping up with everyone!

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

We must all be summer vacating?

Celebrated my 25 year anniversary at work with a party on Monday. And remote location service partners sent cards and emails or called me. And in spite of cake Monday and left over cake Tuesday I lost 3 pounds in week one of my Not a Diet but a New Way of Living thingamabob. And my camera came Monday. I have no idea how to use it yet but one of my service partners from IT offered to take me on lunchtime safaris and help me with it, since he has a Canon DSLR himself.

So yay!

And AuntieB, you need to share a bit, too! I miss hearing what's up with you. And sorry I missed TARcon.

mpstar

mpstar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I've been getting used to my new digestive system, and doing exceedingly well. I have lost about 25 pounds in the first three weeks, which is pretty average after gastric bypass surgery. I'm amazed that I am never hungry and when meal time comes just a few mouthfuls makes me full. Today I did zumba, because I need to start exercising again.

This summer is now just going to be a combination of going to concerts and going to work. It's been years since I have worked in the summer, but I'm trying to up my final salary. I dislike my workplace, but I will power through. I was offered a few extra weeks outside the library, which is unheard of! I was asked to advise undeclared majors, which I love to do. I plan on putting the additional unexpected money towards a flight to South America in January to visit friends (and it is warm there!)

So, that's what I've been up to.

bucketyell

bucketyell

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Congrats! I will use your success to motivate myself to get back to the gym. School is winding down so I can't use that as an excuse any more!

My good news? After two years of plugging away working towards an insurance designation (its basically ten business courses in various subjects), I finally 'graduated'. I have to wait until October to use the new designation because that is when the Insurance Institute meets and votes on new members but I will try to be patient. It means a bonus and it opens up many more doors in the industry so we will see what happens. I have suddenly become somewhat marketable... very weird indeed. :)

My summer so far has been trying to re-grow grass in my backyard (stupid neighbours and their weeds). We choose the hottest day of the year to have soil delivered and start the process but its been nice and rainy since so we finally have sprouts. I was quite the proud 'mother' yesterday tended to my sprouts. An added bonus is that with all the new soil that we put down, we have had all kinds of birds (robins mostly) drop by looking for worms. I had two fighting on my lawn this morning. Lovers spat perhaps?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Fantastic mpstar. I'm so glad you're having a good experience with your surgery and its aftermath. And South America in January sounds fun, although I'm usually running away from the warm.

bankerchick

bankerchick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Dang! I wanted to be the first to post on page 2000. I guess that's what happens when I don't come here every day. Since the site 'upgrade' I cannot open the forums from work. Imagine that, I'm supposed to work when I'm there. It also means that since I do most of my surfing at work, TWOP is often out of sight, out of mind. Summer hiatus plays into that too.

Plus, there is nothing new in my life. It's kind of frustrating to post for the first time in a month or more but nothing is new. I guess that's why you don't hear much from me. It's like Facebook; I know I'm not the demographic but when I read some of the lame crap people post, I think they would have been further ahead keeping it to themselves.

Glad to hear all are well. Congrats to all who are enjoying weight loss, and new grass (it has been freaking hot here, I finally bought dirt today but am waiting until later this evening to go out and spread it in the gardens.) I might actually jump into the pool tonight or tomorrow, the water is still cold but I think it's time.

And there you have it. Nothing new, nothing to say.

Bo, I'm sure you're hardwired to hate the Devils, but have you ever seen a more boring Cup final? With the exception of the few young guys who are Kings fans since Gretzky played there when they were little, I don't know anyone even watching.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

bankerchick, it's been boring hockey. But I actually was rooting for NJ (Dainius Zubrus was such a cute kid when he came into the league as a Flyer and he's the longest-standing former Flyer in the finals). Still, I won't be as sad as usual when this season is over.

These cats are the most persistent beggars now. Really guys, not dinner time for another hour. Leave me alone! (Claude actually bruised my arm one night with his paw trying to get my attention to feed him!)

ETA: The best thing about this hockey is these are the best playoff beards. The guys look very yummy with their manly man facial hair. <G>

Edited by BoDiva, Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

bankerchick

bankerchick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Don't you count Carter and Richards as former Flyers?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Yes. But Zubrus is the longest-standing one. He played here in 1996-97, when Flyers went to the SCF. He was 18. Now he's a grizzled vet (2 inches taller!). One of my most vivid memories of that finals was a faceoff in front of me in the first period of game one. Lindros was taking the faceoff and turned to Zubie on his right wing and said, "Just calm down."

On the Kings are Williams, Gagne, Fraser, Carter, and Richards. But all younger. And it's hard to root for them when I know the media here, who are only vaguely aware that pucks are made of vulcanized rubber, will go all "oh if they'd kept Carter and Richards they'd have a Stanley Cup" because they apparently have never heard of the people carrying the Kings--Quick, Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty--none of whom were or would have been Flyers. I do have friends rooting for Hextall, who won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort for the Flyers, to get on the cup. But I'd rather he do it as a GM than as an Asst GM so he'd have more to do with it. And have another friend rooting for former Flyers coach John Stevens who is an asst on the Kings.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Dang! I wanted to be the first to post on page 2000.

If you change your options to 40 posts/page, we're only on page 750.

A couple of years ago I got a basic Kodak digital camera for Christmas. Before that I was using a film camera, but it was getting harder and harder to find my film of choice (Fuji), or finding a place that did developing nearby. This Christmas, the digital camera just stopped working. No idea why - we were at the children's museum and all of a sudden the camera stopped working. I changed the batteries, still nothing. I don't think anyplace repairs cameras like the one I have - does anyone know if that's true?

I don't have a smart phone, so the crap camera on my cellphone is awful. I'd like to get a new camera, but it almost seems like the basic utility camera isn't around anymore because everyone has one on their smart phone.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

I recently bought a nice new DSLR (Nikon D5100) but I also bought a Canon PowerShot A1300 which lives in my trouser pocket. It is a 16 megapixel camera with built-in flash, 5x zoom, 2.7" LCD, and shoots movies as well as stills. It is compact, light weight, robust, easy to use, is powered by two AA batteries, and sells for a hair over $100. And I chose it from a host of similar cameras because it has an optical viewfinder (as well as the LCD), which is a feature I really wanted. Is it as good as the DSLR? No, but it's pretty good for a PHD camera. (Press Here, Dummy!)

So, if a hundredish dollars is in your price range, then yes, you can get a new, utility camera with quite a few features, from a variety of makers. But if it ever goes bad, chances are it will be obsolete by then, and no, they won't be able to fix it.

Oh, and I bought a smart-phone as well, which has two cameras in it, but I haven't used either one of them as yet. It's a nice phone, but it doesn't appeal to me as a machine for taking photogtaphs. (No viewfinder!)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Thanks Netfoot, I'll have to look into the Canon.

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Has anyone here been to Australia? I have about 20 days there, I think, and I want to do Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru, Darwin, and Cairns, but it's like going from DC to Florida to Texas to Minnesota to Maine: time-consuming and super-expensive.

Is the rock really that impressive? Should I go to Darwin or Cairns? Was TAR in Darwin, and is that why I have a burning desire to go there?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

I have dreamed of going to Australia. But sorry, no real knowledge. There used to be a couple of Aussies on these TAR forums. One of them even came all the way to a TARcon once. But don't know if they are around in any threads any more.

Am making the leap to a new hair dresser. I loved my former guy so much for so long. But he lost his shop and has moved twice since then. His focus doesn't really seem to be on the cut any more (still a rockin' colorist). So I'm trying a woman at the place where I get my nails and eyes done. She has curly hair so she gets me, but we'll see if she can DO curly hair. And this will be the first time in my entire life a woman has cut my hair. Not any prejudice on my part, just who was recommended to me along the way.

auntieB

auntieB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Dogfoot, do you know about the Quantas Walkabout ticket? I think it is much cheaper than ordinary flights.

http://www.qantas.co...bout-pass/us/en

Very jealous!

This site also has more info on other airlines and what they offer internally in Oz as well:

http://www.australia...com/flights.htm

Edited by auntieB, Jun 17, 2012 @ 1:27 PM.

Babalu

Babalu

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

[b]Dogfoot[\b] - we're in Cairns right now, and I highly recommend it, although the food and excursions are expensive. We were in just Cairns and Sydney in 11 days, and I wouldn't have wanted to squeeze a 3rd place into that short a time, so you may want to limit your trip to three stops since you spend nearly a day traveling from city to city. Also, don't forget that you lose a whole day coming here - even though we left on Thursday morning, we didn't arrive in Sydney until Friday night.

In Sydney, definitely take a trip to the Featherdale Wildlife Sanctuary. You can interact with wallabies, koalas, and kangaroos. Most day trips to the Blue Mountains include a stop at Featherdale - or you can take the train on your own. There's so much to do in the city itself - harbour tours, Opera House, aquariums, beaches.......

From Cairns, we took Silverswift to snorkel at the outer reef and were very pleased with them - that was my favorite day of our vacation. Also spent a day at the hilltop rainforest village of Kuranda, riding the scenic railway up and taking the Skyrail (enclosed gondola) down. It's gorgeous. Went to Green Island (inner reef), as well - pleasant and relaxing but certainly not a must-do. TAR has been here, but I don't remember if they've been to Darwin.

If I ever come back, I'd definitely want to spend a couple of days at Uluru and then would probably return to Cairns.

Have fun planning!

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Happy Canada Day you in the great white north.

Am hibernating to avoid the 100s. Not a hot weather person and trying to just be grateful for the most amazing spring ever, but the extreme heatwave is distracting me from that.

I am, fortunately, in the city. So the power outages from the downed trees and power poles are not affecting me. I feel really bad for those who have no power, no air, and in many cases no water now, including some of the long-ago regulars here. I also have friends in the S. Jersey shore points who are year-round residents and will be without power for a week. Wish I had room to house refugees!

bankerchick

bankerchick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Thanks, Bo. Nothing white here today unless you are talking about the white hot heat. It's been a beautiful sunny, hot day here and looks to be a beautiful evening for fireworks.

I am on vacation this coming week and am actually hoping for a day or two of rain, firstly for the grass and the gardens, but I would also really like to get some painting done, and it probably won't happen if the weather is nice.

Edited by bankerchick, Jul 1, 2012 @ 5:28 PM.