The Meet Market: Cafe Memento

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21259 replies to this topic

Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:41 PM

Has Kevin Bacon ever worked with David Strathairn...?

Why yes, IC -- in The River Wild, with Meryl Streep. (And I didn't even have to look at IMDB.com! :)

Anyhoo, thanks for the SGUH and generous comments (and emails from some of you, which I've yet to read, but will ASAP; gosh, I hate being offline for a week at a time!), and for your patience, etc., with yours truly. No, really -- thanks!

(where is the 'burgh?)

"The 'Burgh", miss sunshine, is Pittsburgh, which is where my parents live and where I just came back from visiting for the past week. Highlights: a visit to Primanti's for a sweet sausage sandwich (and chili, too!), and getting ideas for storage solutions at IKEA. (Yes, my life really is that superficial right now that those were the highlights.)

In Cafe-related news, I'm so sorry to hear your news about your friends, fwmom. That's incredibly sad.

*respectful pause*

As for your question about a bigger-capacity TiVo, fw, I've had similar thoughts recently, since I also just bought the same 40MB version that you have -- but I've decided that I'm going to keep it, and then augment it with a recordable DVD deck in a couple years after a) the electronics industry finally reaches a consensus about the next-generation DVD format, and b) the prices on such devices come down more.

Speaking of electronic devices (oh, no -- not that kind, ajra! Get your mind out of the gutter! ;), my brother's home theater system? Un. F*cking. Believable. Five MartinLogan electro$tatic $peaker$ (!!!!!) -- yup, two of their medium-size towers for surround channels! -- and absolutely primo deluxo electronics for the amp, DVD player, etc. (And a lovely Sony WEGA TV, too.) We watched the extended version of The Two Towers, and for the entire duration, I just could not believe how good it sounded, and how beautiful it looked. And I thought my setup at the Tate Estate was nice. Sheesh!

In still other Cafe-related business, to move or not to move, eh, Doctor Funk? Hard to say -- I can see all kinds of pluses or minuses either way. But I guess what it would come down to for me is that if things didn't work out, I could always move back -- so since you're askin', I'd say go for it, bay-bee! And please do keep us updated -- many of us here (oh, wait -- only me? Okay, then.) are living our dreams vicariously through you! (Also? I cut 'n' pasted what you said about depression, because it was really poignant. So... thanks!)

BTW, I've never seen Footloose, and I don't really have any desire to. (Although I'm not actively avoiding ever seeing it, as is the case with Beaches. :) Speaking of fillums, my fave of this past year -- the tragically undermarketed, underseen, eentsy-teentsy indie Raising Victor Vargas -- made New York Times critic Elvis Mitchell's Top Ten of 2003 list. Woo-hoo! [*insert umpteenth reminder to fellow Cafe patrons to please, please go rent Raising Victor Vargas here*]

*waves to gaia, a fellow Vargas aficianado, in Gay Paree*
*waves to our very own globetrotting rachem, too, just for fun*

Well, I could go on about movies and home entertainment gear and sexual identity crises all day, but for now, it's good to be back, hope to see y'all here in (what I sincerely hope for all of us is a very healthy, happy) 2004, and...

*pulls cord*
*banner unfurls from ceiling that says...*

*´¯`·.¸.· HAPPY NEW YEAR to the CAFÉ MEMENTO! ·.¸.·´¯`*

Edited by Larry Tate, Jul 6, 2007 @ 1:30 AM.

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:13 PM

Weeeeeeeee! A LarryTate post!! Yea!! Welcome back! And I am going straight to Netflix next to not only add Raising Victor Vargas, but make sure I bump it up to the next in line!

Forgot to mention before, MCG, a trip to Paris for your birthday?? Niiiiice!!! Way to go MrMCB!

Also, fwmom your early anniversary present sounds very pretty! Any links to a picture of them? They sound really cool!

Just have to post this picture of the ArtisticNephew, we was working his little heart out decorating cookies to leave out for Santa (he had to do that at our house since his bitch mom didn't bake any!!!). I wish this picture showed the detail in the cookies better, he totally rocks at icing cookies! When I asked him if he was going to be a chef when he was older (we had to make pastry bags out of ziplocs for him so he could properly ice the cookies! He is indeed related to Mrfan, that's for sure!). His answer was:

"No, I am going to be an artist. I will use my artistic techniques when I am chefing though."

I? About died! It was all I could do not to crack up! Bless his heart! Feel free to browse the other Christmas pictures I posted (mostly of our house and one of Mrfan, who really wasn't scared shitless like he appears to be in the picture!)

Happy New Year, again!

cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:18 PM

Happy New Year everyone! After being offline while on a trip to Philadelphia for work, it took me forever to catch up!

Six degrees -- Well, I had a barbecue at my house for a musician, Tom Russell, whose song "Heart of a working man" was played by the radio in the car that was pulled underground by the worm in Tremors, so it's me, to Tom, to Tom's publicist/record label, to the music director of Tremors, to Kevin. So that makes me ....... 5 degrees!

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:26 PM

Speaking of electronic devices (oh, no -- not that kind, ajra!...

So, you think I want to be that transparent in a public forum like this, about stuff that intimate?

You promised you wouldn't tell our love secrets. LT. I'm crushed.

*retires to back room with the Bartender and a bottle of tequila to ring in the new year*

Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:41 PM

*sneaks into backroom with saltshaker and olive oil*

dazzie

dazzie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:08 AM

Happy New Year all!

*goes back into too-little-sleep-induced stupor*

Jazzmyn1372

Jazzmyn1372

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

I went to high school with Lisa Ling, who used to be a host on "The View". She has interviewed Mr. Bacon, the waiter, the busboy, and the dance instructor. I once interviewed for a job in television against her, if I want to get really depressed I can think of the path I could have had if I had gotten that job.

Happy New Year to All. I think I'll just watch Clash of the Titans. It's snowing now and the girls and I already did the fireworks show, which was over at 6:30. I think I'm just ready for this year to be over.

g-girl

g-girl

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:13 AM

My uncle (who's the same age as me) dated Arthur Hiller's daughter all through college. He directed Love Story, which featured Tommy Lee Jones (so new to the business that he was billed as Tom Lee Jones), who was in JFK with Kevin Bacon.

Happy New Year everyone!

ETA: Thanks, Miss CB - you're sweet!

Edited by g-girl, Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:21 AM.

Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:00 AM

*briefly sticks head out of backroom*

Oh yeah, how could I forget? Miss Chanandeler Bong, your surprise trip to Paris has to be one of the most wonderfullest birthday gifts evah! WOOT! And Happy Belated B-Day to you and Natchou!

*disappears back into backroom*
*pops right back out again*

Oh, and thanks for queuing up Raising Victor Vargas, faninohio! And JuliaMac? I added Melvin Goes to Dinner to my Netflix queue -- thanks for the tip!

*disappears back into backroom*
*pops right back out again*

Also? Love the dazzling 'dos, dazzie (you fabulous freshly minted driver, you!) and goldberry! And big bear SGUH to you, Hunter, just because!

*disappears again into backroom to rejoin New Year's "festivities"*

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:15 AM

Love Story

Ah, memories! Two movies I remember vividly going to the theater and watching from the balcony with my cool Aunt were Love Story and Hello, Dolly!! Both still faves of mine today!

Happy January 1st everyone!

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:17 AM

*stumbles out of backroom*
[panting] water, please [/panting]
*reaches into backroom*
*pulls something*
Oops! Wrong something!
*pulls something else*
*banner unfurls*

*returns to backroom with a glass of water, a bucket of ice, and a naughty grin*

Edited by ajra, Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:18 AM.

BajeGirl

BajeGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

Mr. LT if you keep popping in and out of the backroom like that we may just have to ban you. *just kidding dear*.

So here's my official "Happy New Year" to all cafe patrons, their families, friends and even mere aquaintances. I wish you all health, happiness and general goodwill for 2004 and beyond.

I need to go do some laundry and attempt to pack but the SuperProcrastinator in me is keeping my butt firmly planted in the chair...good thing I didn't resolve to quit procrastinating this year.

amelia41

amelia41

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

RE: 6 Degrees-
I saw Burt Reynolds from my office window when he was filming "Cop and a Half" here in Tampa. Burt was in "Striptease" with Demi Moore, who was in "A Few Good Men" with Kevin Bacon.

Or: Way back when I was addicted to "General Hospital" I met Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio), who was on "GH" with Demi Moore, etc etc.

A big New Year GUH to all cafe patrons and staff (waiter, you get a tongue bath as well). Have a happy and healthy 2004 !

Edited by amelia41, Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:48 AM.

dzhim

dzhim

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

Those little white Sudafed tablets? Fucking own. Way to ring in the new year with a head cold, but I took one of them half an hour ago and I can breathe clearly through my nose. Right now, I am ::heart::ing that stuff about as much as I ::heart:: the normal things, like ice cream.

One of my dad's friends/acquaintances/whatever walked out of an elevator in "Top Gun" right before Tom Cruise and whoever else walked into it. I guess that still leaves me 4 degrees away, just like the other path.

Here's a site for Bacon-numbering once you get the name of someone who's actually credited on IMDB. They have either some fancy computer program, or a fast-typing Bruin clone, to figure out the degrees for you.

Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

*staggers out of backroom sans apparel but grinning widely*
*dusts off hoary old gag line*

Gosh, I can't believe that I haven't seen y'all since last year!

*throws hoary old gag line back into long-term storage for next time*

Ah yes, dzhim, the Oracle of Bacon -- thanks for the linkage, that makes it easy!

I saw Mena Suvari filming a scene in NYC's Grand Central Station for the movie Loser, which also featured Colleen Camp. Two years later, Colleen Camp appeared in the movie Trapped with Kevin Bacon.

But I'm so much more impressed with the [insert number here] degrees-to-Bacon of peeps like Bruin and mickey, who've actually been captured on celluloid (if not recorded by IMDB.com). That? Is just so cool!

*turns to re-enter backroom, flashing two-part bartender-inspired tattoo spanning buttocks that says "I'll have | another"*
*disappears once again into backroom*

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

*Reaches the keyboard
100% Sober for the
first and the last time in 2004
takes control of all electricity
flips the switch
all neon signs switch to message
that reads*

*Passes out*

reesenm

reesenm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:14 PM

LT and I share 'degrees'....

As a freshman in college, I played in the pit orchestra for a production of Pippin. Sandra Bullock was part of the cast (she was a senior at the time). I met her at the cast party (btw, can you say big hair? I mean, it was the '80's and all but, sheesh, that girl put a dent in the world hairspray supply that night!). Sandra was in Speed 2: Cruise Control with Colleen Camp, who was in Trapped with Kevin Bacon .

Happy New Year!!!!!

Edited by reesenm, Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:16 PM.

alamogal

alamogal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:51 PM

OK, I'll play. I worked craft service for Return of the Son of Poor Man's Texas Chainsaw Massacre (or whatever they wound up calling it) with Renee Zellweger. (Yes, indeed, it was I who supplied the GatorAde that fueled Renee's fevered run through the pines.) Renee was in Jerry MaGuire with Tom Cruise, who was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon - plus the waiter.

BTW, I've tried to talk to my brother, Lt. Col. Alamobro USMC Ret., about 24, and he sneers and turns away. Seems he still hasn't forgiven Kief for the dead-on impression he did of the bro in that movie.

And Happy New Year to all Cafe Memento patrons!

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

MomOfAjra health update - she does not have cancer. She has a condition that, if left untreated/unchecked, may lead to cancer waaayyy down the road. She'll be on medication for the next 6 months; if all goes well, she will avoid the big C. (If not, she'll need to have a hysterectomy.)

Edited by ajra, Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:13 PM.

Miss Chanandeler Bong

Miss Chanandeler Bong

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:30 PM

ajra, that's great, great news to begin the New Year with.

Loved the story of fannephew. How old is he? His comments remind me a lot of what the youngest Bong would say. And yay for being the cool Aunt, fan. Also, the Mr. looks quite handsome, and not at all like a deer in headlights!

We've got some hard partying Kafe folks in the back room. Don't forget the night clean up crew comes through around 3:00 a.m. Then, feel free to resume whatever it is that you are doing "_~

I love Kevin Bacon in general. And he was so cute inadvertently playing 6 degrees in the "Will and Grace" episode. I have cousins in "the biz", and two are 2 degrees, one is three.
Cousin #1- was in Farmhouse, The with Keith Reddin
Keith Reddin was in Someone Like You... with Colleen Camp
Colleen Camp was in Trapped with Kevin Bacon

His wife - was in Who's Tommy, the Amazing Journey, The with Phil Collins
Phil Collins was in Balto (1995) with Kevin Bacon

Cousin #2 - was in Recess: School's Out with R. Lee Ermey
R. Lee Ermey was in Murder in the First with Kevin Bacon

I have a vacation day tomorrow. Woo Hoo!

MysticalGirl

MysticalGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:54 PM

Awesome news, ajra!

I feel so left out. My poor muddled brain can't trace any path from me to Kevin Bacon.

Happy New Year, y'all! Among my resolutions, is one to be more...proactive, I guess is the right word, despite icky corporate connotations. Y'know, be more about living life than just letting it happen. So. I knew DreamLover would be home alone, because, in his words, he doesn't "do the whole New Year's thing." Going out to a party and getting wasted, in other words. So, I show up on his doorstep with a pizza and a bottle of cheap wine, for a more private celebration. Luckily, he was glad to see me and not weirded out.

Edited by MysticalGirl, Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:55 PM.

bonster

bonster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:07 AM

Question: in the Kevin Bacon game going on here, do you have to actually know someone "in the biz" for your connection to count, or can it be just someone that you have met?

Miss Chanandeler Bong

Miss Chanandeler Bong

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

I may not be correct, but we're playing pretty loose and easy with Kevin (!), so play as you will!

bonster

bonster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

OK, well I once met Keanu Reeves (through a friend that was in a theatre class with him). Keanu was in Something's Gotta Give with Jack Nicholson and Jack was in A Few Good Men with Kevin.

Happy New Year everyone.

Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:31 AM

Yay for ajra's mom's (relatively) clean bill of health! And yay for my comfortable new bed!

*falls fast asleep*

whats a rachem

whats a rachem

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:45 AM

Bonne Annee!!!!!! Bonjour from Paris! Hope everyone had a great New Year! We spent it underneath the Eiffel Tower! Right after midnight we tried to get back to our hotel and ended up running from the riot police and getting tear gassed! And since no one else in my group enjoys champagne I had about half a bottle in my. I was dragging my mom through the mob trying not to fall down and get trampled!

But more on that later! We are off to Notre Dame and the Louvre today.

Au revoir!

poisoned pen

poisoned pen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:17 AM

Hey, Mystical, you can play: you have a standing KTuesday night date with Kiefer who was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon. :)

Great news, ajra! Here's to a healthy 2004.

Rachem, sounds like you're having a blast, in spite of a little tear gas.

I? Am so tired, in spite of going to bed before 9:30 last night. But made it to work bright and early this morning. Today is the seventh anniversary of my joining this company and my first official work day as a part-time employee. Of course, I work a full eight-hour day today, so I don't know how much it will feel like part-time.

IshKabibil

IshKabibil

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:29 AM

Oh my, rachem!! Glad that while tipsy you are still agile on your feet,hee!

ajra I saw jayne a couple of times in the late 80's here at boxing matches. I think it was here brother that was boxing, but my memory could be wrong on that detail. She still looked beautiful. She has such gorgeous skin and a lovely face.

Thanks for sharing the pic of your nephew fan, how cute was that? And I love your home. It was decorated just right.

My turn to play.... using dzhim's Oracle of Bacon: I went to elementary school with I girl named Shana Rodman, who began filming a movie with Burt Reynolds in the early 80's(she got kicked off the film for doing drugs, she was only about 12 or 13 at the time), Burt Reynolds was in Starting Over with Kevin Bacon.

agra,glad your mom is having this taken care of. My aunt who was to have the gastric bypass, along with other things, week before last had it cancelled. She was already checked into the hospital, my uncle and cousins had taken off work and the Doctor didn't like my aunt's sugar level so he backed out of the surgery. She's really bummed because this is twice in 4 months that he has backed out of the surgery after she was admitted to the hospital. She's not sure when she'll reschedule. The other surgery is she has hernias(sp), notice the plural and she is having a lot of problems with them. I hope she can have it taken care of soon. I'll keep you posted on the EBIV front.

And finally a big WOOT for MCB and Paris~~enjoy your vaction day today, baby woot~~

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

A couple of months ago I saw Kevin Bacon & his wife Kyra Sedgwick walking down my street & then hail a cab. Does that count?

I woke up New Year's Day with a cold brewing. I'm not pleased with this turn of events.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

And yay for my comfortable new bed!

I second that emotion! Good morning, LT!

we're playing pretty loose and easy with Kevin (!),

OK, Ew! I don't want to play anymore. I don't like him that much.

penny - I knew it. I didn't want to tell you but, sweetie, you can't do anything halfway.