Animal Cops & Animal Precinct

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

692 replies to this topic

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 7:41 PM

I'm a little under the weather so I watched the Houston season marathon all day. Great show, hard to watch sometimes. The bears and the tiger were so sad, and I was thrilled to see them relocated to zoos and sanctuaries where they can roam freer and get proper food and water. Those cages they lived in were evil.

I am the biggest animal lover ever and am really fond of pigs, who get a bad rap and are really intelligent and sweet for the most part. But when they rescue a pig and send it to a pig sanctuary and declare that if they hadn't put it in the sanctuary it would have to have been euthanized, all I can think of is...when you kill a pig don't you just get bacon? I mean, not to be insensitive or anything, but of all the animals the they put in sanctuaries, it seems like pigs make the least sense. Chickens I can see, because hens can lay eggs and also once they get too old they are no good for eating really. But a pig?

Anyway, love pigs, love bacon. I'm conflicted, obviously.

The matted dog was horrendous. They shaved that fur off him and it was like they took him out of a coat of armor. Glad to see he cleaned up okay and has a good home. He sure was cute under all that matted fur.

Edited by nikitakitty, Jan 21, 2008 @ 7:47 PM.

PaintStickConvert

PaintStickConvert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 11:43 PM

Anyway, love pigs, love bacon. I'm conflicted, obviously.

I've always wondered if those Vietnamese Pot-bellied pigs would taste like lemon-grass pork.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 8:29 AM

I watched the Houston season marathon all day

Me too! I even watched it as it began to repeat. The bear thing made me cry. I was so glad Bruiser got a nice end of life scenario.

I learn a lot watching these shows. Like ferrets and horses are high maintenance pets. It also seems like people get into rescue and quickly get in over their heads. I work in breed rescue and see people burn out all the time.

I usually have little sympathy for the owners who get their dog removed but I did feel for the guy with the cherry-eyed spaniel. They don't mention that your local vet would charge you a lot to get that corrected (I paid 1,000$ for one eye surgery for my Chow). I often wish there was some way that owners could get vet support and keep their animal....not just about this program but Best Friends as well.

Edited by Quickbeam, Jan 22, 2008 @ 11:15 AM.

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 9:56 AM

But when they rescue a pig and send it to a pig sanctuary and declare that if they hadn't put it in the sanctuary it would have to have been euthanized, all I can think of is...when you kill a pig don't you just get bacon? I mean, not to be insensitive or anything, but of all the animals the they put in sanctuaries, it seems like pigs make the least sense. Chickens I can see, because hens can lay eggs and also once they get too old they are no good for eating really. But a pig?

Because some of us care about the animals regardless of human agenda in terms of them as "product."

motw

motw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

Because some of us care about the animals regardless of human agenda in terms of them as "product."

Exactly, thank you.

One such person is Christie Adams from Animal Precinct. She's vegan and grew up doing rescue and sanctuary with her family. Her sister is vegan too and runs a vegan desert company. I think that Annemarie Lucas is vegetarian too but I'm not sure. I wonder if any of the other officers on the different shows are vegan or at least vegetarian. It might make me have more respect for the ones I'm indifferent about. As who spent most of her life eating and wearing dead animals AND doing animal rescue and saying I love animals and is now vegan, I realize how ridiculous it was to claim that I loved animals when I was indirectly causing death and suffering--the very things I was working against--by using animal products. I'm much better at rescuing and rehabilitating now and I think that my change in perception about animals makes my rescue work so much more effective. I'm curious if that is similar for those in humane law enforcement.

Latrodectra

Latrodectra

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 8:16 PM

I too am sad to see Detroit and NY taken off, like a fair number of you those two were my favorites and whose staff I liked the most. I liked the SF one only because I used to live in the bay area. The Miami one gets on my nerves because they have to rehash everything over and over again and also they are try to overdramitize everything. The show is dramatic enough thank you. I do hope there are shows from other cities on the way.

Also count me in on the people who go and hug their critters during the show. I often have to go hug my cats because they are both rescue kitties and I hate to think what might have happened to them. Especially my boy cat who was dumped with his brother behind a Chinese restaurant (yeah, yeah I know) and had not been rescued by a couple of kind ladies who ran a cat rescue organization.

I wonder if any of the other officers on the different shows are vegan or at least vegetarian. It might make me have more respect for the ones I'm indifferent about. As who spent most of her life eating and wearing dead animals AND doing animal rescue and saying I love animals and is now vegan, I realize how ridiculous it was to claim that I loved animals when I was indirectly causing death and suffering--the very things I was working against--by using animal products.

Please remember that not everyone can be a vegetarian. I tried for two years to be one because I didn't like the idea of killing animals for food but due to my high metabolism I lost a lot of weight, was sick all the time, and had an overall sickly appearance complete with bags under my eyes. I tried many different things to make it work for me but in the end I had to come to terms with my place in the food chain and go back to eating meat. It really chaps my ass when people judge others because they are not vegetarians and say they are not animal lovers.

gillsans1

gillsans1

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 8:21 PM

not that I watch this mess of a show anymore, but when I did i always thought that Officer Sandano was toked out of her mind. She always seemed to think the cat collectors were hysterical.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

not that I watch this mess of a show anymore, but when I did i always thought that Officer Sandano was toked out of her mind. She always seemed to think the cat collectors were hysterical.

Mess of a show??? I happen to think Animal Precinct is awesome, and I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

The cat collectors break my heart, because I love kitties more than anything, and almost always the cats are euthanized. I have long had the impression that they will go to great lengths to rehabilitate even the fiercest dog, but if a cat isn't born with social skills then it's off with her head.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with anyone about who really loves animals based upon their choice of diet. My point about the pigs remains: with limited resources they just seem like an odd choice for sanctuary given their position on our generally recognized food chain. Love em though, I have been quite attached to several pigs over my lifetime and their status sometimes as pets is totallly cool with me. Pigs rock.

The problem with cats is that there are just so many of them and they tend to show up on doorsteps or in new litters with such regularity that a lot of folks simply don't go to shelters to adopt them. The local vet always has a cat that needs a home it seems, also. I am a huge cat lover and have had cats pretty consistently since I was eight, anywhere from one to eleven at a time depending on my living circumstances, and their neglected status does make me very sad. Cats, once they are relieved of the need to be on high alert and fight and scrap for their food and shelter, just puddle into goo in the hands of a loving owner and without exception every cat I've had for the last thirty years has just shown up on my doorstep looking for a home and finding one with me. They are sooo grateful once they realize they have an owner that it's just astonishing sometimes. But I can only house three at a time, and I've had such a steady stream of cats over time that I have never once been able to go to the shelter to rescue one officially like that. I always want to, and as spots have opened up in my home for a new cat I get all excited about being able to finally do that, but then right away there's a cat or kitten that shows up and needs a home or is rescued from the street by my son and the opportunity passes again.

That's why I think the shelters have trouble with the cat situation as a general rule. They know most of them, even healthy friendly not-neglected ones, aren't going to be adopted, and it makes it hard to add to their rather doomed ranks. If there were a place where they could all go and live out their lives without being euthanized by the shelter I think they'd make more effort more often. Again, it's limited resources and how to allocate them. Cats don't generally have 'breed rescue' folks out there trolling the shelters to take the animals off the shelters hands either. There are more dog rescue groups I think than stray cat rescue organizations. Should there be? No. But unless folks step up that is the reality most places I think.

myopinion

myopinion

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

Earlier today I watched the show and was so upset with the fighting pit bulls in MHS that I wanted to find out about a little more. I came to this site and couldnt find animal cops planet precinct whatever. I just looked again a few minutesw ago and here is the whole thread.
I am not such a major animal lover, but this really is haunting me. they had the dog who was used as the bait dog and it was all bloody ... they said no one ever came to claim it. I was so sad. that poor dog. I guess they keep them for a few days just as formality in case their "owner" does come in?
so sad.

pierogi

pierogi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

I often end up laughing at myself while watching the show because I talk to the animals. All I need to see is a tail wagging hard and the next thing I know is I'm saying out loud "Aww, who's a good dog? It's you, isn't it?" Or if I see a closeup of a kitten and I start saying, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty."

*Hanging head* Mr. Pierogi and I make kissy noises at the TV whenever a brave dog or a grateful kitty shows up.

I'm crushed that there won't be more Animal Precinct. This was the first animal cop show I got addicted to, and it's my fave.

myopinion

myopinion

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Does anyone else sometimes find the show just too darn depressing? I do think it is a great show, but at times it ts hard work.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 12:21 AM

Yes, especially when they bust a dogfighting ring or clean out a cat collector's house. I can't even look at the cats and dogs because I know they're going to be put down. The cats will make me cry.

When I was looking for new cats after I lost one of my sweeties to diabetes, several of the shelters said they didn't have any cats and that I should check back in the spring. I thought that was odd. I finally found a shelter with kitties available and came home with four littermate kittens who are now eight years old.

I know someone posted a link that explains why the ASPCA no longer wants to participate in Animal Precinct, but does anyone know why they aren't doing Animal Cops--Detroit any more? They seem like a real hard-core inner city group that could use the exposure and financial help the show would provide.

myopinion

myopinion

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

I just can't stop thinkng about that poor "bait" dog with the tape around its snout and the bloody feet. I guess it sure was a reality boost of what they encounter and how horrible some humans can be.

cherbitrary

cherbitrary

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

Animal Planet is airing NEW episodes of Animal Cops: Houston starting next week at 10pm!

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 11:46 AM

I tried for two years to be one because I didn't like the idea of killing animals for food but due to my high metabolism I lost a lot of weight, was sick all the time, and had an overall sickly appearance complete with bags under my eyes. I tried many different things to make it work for me but in the end I had to come to terms with my place in the food chain and go back to eating meat. It really chaps my ass when people judge others because they are not vegetarians and say they are not animal lovers.

This just sounds like you weren't getting enough calories or proper nutrition. It's possible to gain alot of weight even being vegan - believe me I am still taking off th pounds I gained over the holidays. Also, the Atkins Diet was based on eating mostly animal protein and that was all the rage for losing weight for a long time years ago.

Jamie1

Jamie1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

I actually caught an episode of the Detroit one last night, and frankly I am getting sick and tired of this show. I own a pitbull and I get so aggravated when they are constantly showing pitbulls in an aggressive state. I know many people who have stopped watching the show just because of that. Its bad enough these breeds of dogs get a bad rap as it is (having a celebrity plead guilty to dog fighting charges doesn't help either). This is just proving what everybody says right. I know that there are some episodes where they do show the breed in a more lighter light, where they were hurt, or abused in some way, but a majority of the time it just shows them as "aggressive pitbulls". It really irks me to no end. I constantly look over at my buddy and just get sad thinking of what some people do to these dogs. Its sickening.

I do like watching this show because it shows how hard these people work to keep animals alive. They bust their asses to make sure no animals end up dying, which I admire. I just wish they chose which pitbull segments to air a little bit more carefully, because after all this is THEE Animal Planet, and people listen to a majority of what is said on it's shows.

jnymph

jnymph

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 12:14 PM

Does anyone else sometimes find the show just too darn depressing? I do think it is a great show, but at times it ts hard work.

All these shows are extremely hard to watch. But as hard as it is for US to watch, think about how much harder it is for the animal going thru the torture. Just my 2 cents, but I believe we owe it to our animal companions to at least watch, and hopefully if we get angry or depressed enough, we will choose to go down to the local shelter, and voluteer to make a difference

You are a Towel

You are a Towel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 5:16 PM

I have a genuine interest in perhaps working with aggressive and anti-social dog cases, so the dog does not have to be put down. I feel I really do have the patience to do it, but I don't know if you can volunteer for something like that. I know on these shows they have trainers who work with some of the dogs to evaluate if they are social enough for adoption. I'd like to work with the ones who they believe aren't socialized or too aggressive, and are on the euthanization chopping block. I do not fear dogs or dog bites and I would welcome the challenge. Does anyone know how someone goes about getting into something like this without a degree or anything? Or is it pretty much impossible unless you have some kind of certification? Just wondering, thank you.

MissKit

MissKit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 10:35 AM

You might want to contact Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. They also have affiliates in other states. They are definitely a no-kill shelter and have in fact, taken in some of the Michael Vick dogs. There was just an article in their magazine about rehabilitating these fighting dogs who would have been slated for euthanasia in other shelters.

I'm not sure what their website is, but I'm sure if you do a internet search it will come up.

sisipie

sisipie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2008 @ 1:03 AM

Wow, I'm late. I had no idea that they cancelled Animal Precinct and AC: Detroit. I'm disappointed. I felt the strongest connection to the investigators on those shows. I like Houston--I'm from there--and I like Phoenix, too, but they're not as exciting. I can take or leave Miami. I've only seen about five episodes of San Francisco, and that was so long ago that I don't remember any of it.

I liked the Houston episode tonight. I'm an HD freak, so I was very excited to see an episode that's actually HD. (They usually just crop the episodes to fit the screen for Animal Planet HD.) Some new interesting features--Google Earth views of the different counties they went to and an "investigator cam". I loved Barney's story. I'm so glad it had a happy ending because that twine collar made me really upset.

truconfession

truconfession

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2008 @ 3:40 AM

I'm really surprised that NY and Detroit were canceled. They happen to be my most favorite along with SF. I mean I wasn't watching the show as much as I used to, but It still stinks. I was never much of a fan of Houston and Miami, they never grabbed me like the other shows, but I guess this is what I will now be watching. One of the most touching for me in Houston though was the one with all the wild animals. The tigers, bears etc. To live such an unfulfilling life like that in a cage and to see what shape they were in was heart wrenching. Just to know in a normal life they would have wide open spaces to travel far and wide and then to be confined in such away. But in nature with the hunting and such going on I'm not sure how much better off they would be. It seems like it's always lose, lose with animals. It's sad.

You are a Towel as MissKit Best Friends Animal Sanctuary would be your best place to look into. They actually have a huge sanctuary out in the desert and they take in all kinds of animals and aggressive dogs. Their sanctuary is divided up and they have an area specifically for aggressive dogs(red collars as their called there). There's a show that comes on called DogTown(how I learned about them) on the National Geographic Channel(usually after Dog Whisperer) that profiles this sanctuary. Its a really good show and the latest episode was actually about their aggressive dogs and one of they main handlers who works with the aggressive dogs.

There links:
http://www.bestfriends.org/

http://www.bestfriends.org/dogtown/

Edited by truconfession, Apr 1, 2008 @ 3:43 AM.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2008 @ 10:33 AM

How did last night's episode end? We had thunderstorms in our area and our satellite went out with about 25 minutes left to go.

You are a Towel

You are a Towel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Thank you for all your great advice! I'll definitely be looking into Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and checking out that show Dogtown. I can't believe they cancelled Detroit instead of Miami, that sucks! The Detroit ones are the best! Drain pipe kitty was one of my favorite stories.

Edited by You are a Towel, Apr 2, 2008 @ 12:00 PM.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

How did last night's episode end? We had thunderstorms in our area and our satellite went out with about 25 minutes left to go.

Poor Barney (the dog who had baling twine around his neck) was so scared of people that when the behaviorist would go into his kennel he'd just shake and keep his head toward the corner of the kennel, he avoided eye contact at all cost. She then took him to a larger room and he went to a corner and sat with his back in the corner so nothin could sneak up on him. The behaviorist said "all behavior can be changed." I thought she'd met her match with Barney . . . but little by little . . . he started trusting her, and by the end he had a home with a child and he was wagging his tail and rolling on his back for his stomach to be scratched. I would think a dog that damaged would be untrustworthy around a child but Barney was a perfect gentleman. It was so inspiring. It's stories like these that make watching this show worthwhile . . . because sometimes it really is hard to take.

Edited by dick simple, Apr 2, 2008 @ 4:24 PM.

rivka

rivka

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 11:58 AM

Animal Cops Houston has always been my favorite -- I like that they have a wide mix of animals, although all the skinny horses get a little depressing after a while.

Having watched it for several years now, I wonder what happened to some of the original investigators like Max Mixson, Barbara Christiansen (I always hated how the announcer pronounced her last name - Chris-Janson), and Jim Boller . They were some of my favorites.

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 2:45 PM

I'd love to know if Max Mixson is still working for them. He was great. And a BABE! Speaking of babes, Andy Starr of Phoenix, anyone??

seapeach

seapeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

I actually caught an episode of the Detroit one last night, and frankly I am getting sick and tired of this show. I own a pitbull and I get so aggravated when they are constantly showing pitbulls in an aggressive state. I know many people who have stopped watching the show just because of that. Its bad enough these breeds of dogs get a bad rap as it is (having a celebrity plead guilty to dog fighting charges doesn't help either). This is just proving what everybody says right. I know that there are some episodes where they do show the breed in a more lighter light, where they were hurt, or abused in some way, but a majority of the time it just shows them as "aggressive pitbulls". It really irks me to no end. I constantly look over at my buddy and just get sad thinking of what some people do to these dogs. Its sickening.

I don't think the intention is to show the pitbulls in a negative light, I think it's to highlight the horrific problem of dog fighting (where they typically use pitbulls). The investigators usually say that it's not the dog it's the person. I agree that pitbulls get a bad rap (along with rottys), but I think that the show is showing the aggressive dogs to show you what these terrible people have turned these dogs into. I believe most of these aggressive dogs are only so towards other dogs and animals and sometimes small children, but are relatively ok around people, which is when they try and rehab them. They usually say they had to put an aggressive dog to sleep cause it didn't get along (ie bit) the medical staff and/or trainers.

I think the Michael Vic thing actually ended up well. 97% were deemed ok and are either in foster homes or rescue centers waiting to be adopted. Only a couple had to be put down (I think for medical purposes and way aggressive behavior). I'm glad for shows like this that show the dog fighting stings because I think it made people more aware of that type of abuse (gave it a face), and that's why (thankfully) Michael Vic pissed a lot of people off and basically ruined his career. I have no respect for that man, I hope he never gets paid to play football ever again.

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

That poor bull on AC:Houston the other night...just horrific. The owner's attitude was worse, though: "If they'd just left him here a few more days, he'd have been off to market and we wouldn't have to deal with it any more.[...]I need to get him to market to make something off him.[...]I know he was lame in the hindquarters, but I can't see spending $500 on a $300 animal--it just doesn't make good financial sense." I normally don't overreact to cruel treatment other than to say "let the b-st-rd rot in jail", but I found myself saying aloud, "Hanging's too good for him. A firing squad would be too kind. I know--let's cut open his back legs and let him get infected and leave him out in the pasture for weeks. That'll work."

And how cool was Clay the farrier when he came up with the solution for the horse with the horrific hoof infection? That silicone gel padding instead of nails for the hoof was outstanding, and the horse almost immediately started walking more normally.

I'm glad AC:Houston's got some new eps. I miss sexy beast Jim Boller, but I'll take Charles Jansen in a pinch.

AppleButter

AppleButter

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

I haven't seen any information in a year or more, but last I knew, Max Mixson had moved to another animal adoption agency/rescue group in Houston, and Jim Boller was working here in Colorado at a wildlife center. But as I said, that was a while ago, and they may both have moved on to other opportunities by now.