The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Please log in to reply

3405 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

Anyone like the show tonight (13 Jan 2004), w/the Donald, his Hair, Scarlett Johansson, and Dave Matthews all tongue-tied? I thought I saw Leno dig a little after the Donald.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

So I was channel surfing the other night and saw Leno doing his rendition of "Stupid Human Tricks".

Does this man have ONE original idea? If so, I have yet to see it.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

The part I liked was that Leno showed Trump the SNL segment. Heh. I think I actually saw Trump squirming a little. Well, as much as he can, what with the stiff upper lip and all.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 7:35 PM

Has Jay mentioned anything about the newscaster in Ohio who had to resign from her job because she entered a wet T-shirt contest while on vacation and a video was made? It's a local story where I live and I'm curious to know if it made the late night talk show circut.

Edited by jw7579, Jan 15, 2004 @ 7:36 PM.

Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:47 PM

Does this man have ONE original idea? If so, I have yet to see it.

I think he ran out about the time he took over for Carson.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

I agree on Leno's shameless pandering to his audience, guests, the networks, the political powers that be, ect... a good source on his assumption of control of the Tonight Show is the book The Late Shift. Leno's agent, Helen Kushnick planted stories about NBC wanting to replace Carson which was the catalyst of the transfer of power and Letterman heading to CBS. Kushnick eventualy got fired because she was a nightmare as producer of The Tonight Show, being a principal in guest embargos and fighting with Littlefield, but Jay maintained he was ignorant he didn't know about her trying to push Johnny out the door. After all these years of watching Jay's shameless ambition, pandering, stealing Dave's bits and willingness to whore himself out to anyone, I'm not sure I buy it anymore.

Bill Hicks did a scathing bit on Leno on one of his albums (Rant in E-Minor I believe) that Leno took exception to. Jay left an answering machine message on Bill Hicks machine cussing him out. Hicks circulated it amoungst other comics. I've heard about the tape from a couple of places, one of which was Bobcat Goldthwait who said it was the funniest hing Jay had ever done.

albmo

albmo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 3:13 AM

Jay Leno's "Read the fine print" is a direct rip-off from Conan o'Brien, which is really really dumb because Conan's is a spoof of Jay's 'Headlines'(.........which is also a rip-off from Dave Letterman.)

Kim Cattrell is so so so skinny!

mrtv

mrtv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

Albmo Word on Leno's lame fine print.

I can't wait for Leno to do his RIP OFF of unfair edit

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

Does someone on the writing staff have an obsession with food. Everytime I catch any of Jays monologue, he's constantly talking about how fat we are. These jokes and the shut ups are really getting on my nerves.

luvmedo20

luvmedo20

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:35 PM

Everytime I catch any of Jays monologue, he's constantly talking about how fat we are. These jokes and the shut ups are really getting on my nerves.

McWord to infinity. Honestly every monologue is the same as the night the before, blah blah fat joke, blah blah illegal aliens getting drivers licenses, blah blah shut up, blah blah i'm an unfunny hack who is unfit to lick the soles on Conan's or Letterman's shoes.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

luvmedo20[QUOTE]blah blah i'm an unfunny hack who is unfit to lick the soles on Conan's or Letterman's shoes.

Dave's out of town this week, and though I've tried, I don't even bother turning on Leno anymore on account of he's, I don't know, appalling, ghastly, atrocious, whatever, anyway, I was thinking that now that Conan's getting on, he's a middle aged man, isn't it about time that NBC gave him a grown-up time slot? I love Dave and all, but he's been taking alot more vacations lately, and I don't really want to hear about the new little league teams starting up in Iraq or Bush programs to teach us how to have successful marriages over on niteline.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 1:55 PM

Chambliss writes:

I was thinking that now that Conan's getting on, he's a middle aged man, isn't it about time that NBC gave him a grown-up time slot? I love Dave and all, but he's been taking alot more vacations lately, and I don't really want to hear about the new little league teams starting up in Iraq or Bush programs to teach us how to have successful marriages over on niteline.

I agree, but I look at it this way: Dave and Conan (and for that matter, Koppel, when he's got Chris Bury subbing for him) have learned to accomodate the basic physiopsychological need for rest, and as such, are less likely to burn out and get sick, and thus their reigns are extended that much more. Conversely, Jay "I gotta cut the postmortem short tonight guys, I'm emceeing the GE Partners' Banquet and then I gotta do my weekend slot at Caesar's Palace" Leno will go to rehearsal one day soon and his heart will explode like a water balloon full of mascarpone cheese.

uncoolusername

uncoolusername

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 4:11 AM

Hey guys. I caught a rerun of the show tonight where he had Elton John and Cedric The Entertainer as guests. What was up with Elton's pinstripe suit? Some of the pinstripe threads were all bonkers. Did he come out like that or did some incident happen to cause them to come undone? I thought it was really weird.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 12:19 AM

Do people really like Jaywalking or do they find it extremly sad like I do?

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

I find Jaywalking both sad and infuriating. I refuse to watch it.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 1:17 PM

I like Jaywalking but I feel extremely sad that people can be so dumb. Jay Leno's mainly background noise for my late evening surfing, anyways.

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

I hope I'm not getting my talk shows mixed up because I do channel surf, but did anyone see Melissa Ethridge? Is she pregnant?

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

I like Jaywalking but I feel extremely sad that people can be so dumb.

I suspect that the folks on Jaywalking really aren't so dumb; I bet that a large percentage of these people just want to be on national TV even if that means acting like an idiot. There is probably a smaller percentage of people who get nervous on camera and can't think of the right answer; but again, probably nine out of ten of those interviewed are shameless fame whores. "Hey, who needs dignity? I'm gonna be on TV!"

I hope I'm not getting my talk shows mixed up because I do channel surf, but did anyone see Melissa Ethridge? Is she pregnant?

I didn't see the Melissa Etheridge segment. I did hear that David Crosby is looking rather more smug than usual, though.

Bateman

Bateman

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

I rarely watch Leno, but tuned in to see the great Kurt Russell and it was worth it. The guy is just impossible to dislike. I love his laugh and his sense of humor and he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. Also stayed to see the little kid who was cute as a button. Kurt's MJ joke was in bad taste, and we've heard enough jokes on that subject from Leno, but I'll admit I laughed.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 11:59 PM

a large percentage of these people just want to be on national TV even if that means acting like an idiot

See I find that more sad than being so dumb you don't get that he is trying to make a fool out of you.

And if anyone knows what it takes to look like a fool, Jay does.

Edited by tvjunkie, Feb 5, 2004 @ 12:00 AM.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

I accidentally taped Leno instead of Letterman on Thurs night. Why does this hack get better ratings than Dave? Maybe people really want to get to sleep and need the boredom. When I saw that one of his guests was Queen Latifah I thought great! I love the Queen but even that interview was awful. I'm watching Conan now with the hillarious Megan Mullally and Harry Connick Jr. Hopefully I won't waste another 40 mins of my life.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 12:41 AM

What was with that belly outfit Badu was wearing tonight? Is she pregnant? If so, why bare the puffy belly? If not, then why bare the puffy belly?

Edited by Make It So, Feb 10, 2004 @ 12:42 AM.

Galadriel

Galadriel

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 8:30 PM

I rarely ever watch Leno, but when I do, it's on Monday nights for the Headlines. I do have the sense of humor of a six-year-old, so I totally find that stuff amusing. Dave's version of Headlines is a surprise to me b/c I was too young to stay up and watch Dave that late--(has he really been on for 15 + years??) it's new to me.

Anyone tune in yesterday? Those two annoying blondes? Gah! The way the celebs' eyes darted around like they wanted to be anyone but there was too funny. They were so grating that you'd think the only reason Jay hired them was for their looks, but ew.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 9:22 AM

Heh. I think Jay hired them specifically because they make celebs' eyes dart around. I know I enjoyed it.

luvmedo20

luvmedo20

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Besides the fact that his monologue is the same every night does anyone else notice that the band only knows 3 songs! It's always "Walk this Way", "Lose Yourself" and another stupid song. Seriously learn some new songs!!!!

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 5:03 PM

Now that you mention it, the lady in the band seems to have a affinity for the first "Rage Against the Machine" album. Seems like everytime I pay attention, she's rock-rapping away to some "Rage" tune.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

It's always "Walk this Way", "Lose Yourself" and another stupid song.

Is the other stupid song the one where the lady sings, "I was just outta high school..." and it alwayas cuts to commercial? I have no idea what song that is, but it just grates...

LookSee

LookSee

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 2:57 AM

I don't even bother turning on Leno anymore on account of he's, I don't know, appalling, ghastly, atrocious

Funny, that's EXACTLY how I feel about Letterman. I watch Leno because I think Letterman's a jerk.

Melissa Ethridge? Is she pregnant?

I remember her telling Oprah a few weeks back that she and Tammy (her spouse) are planning to have a baby and that Melissa would be the carrier while Tammy is the egg donor. If she is pregnant, then congrats to them! :)

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 5:45 AM

For lovers and haters alike, here's a Fortune article on Jay. At the very least I totally admire his work ethic.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 11:36 PM

I think it is kind of crazy, you made it you have tons of money. Enjoy it. He works all day, everyday, even weekend. Just proves how stupid he is to me.

All that work and this is all he can come up with, Sad.

Edited by tvjunkie, Feb 12, 2004 @ 11:37 PM.