The Business End of The O.C.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1829 replies to this topic

elmo

elmo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:32 PM

Thanks Aussie Andrew. I think it is a case of Ch 9 having the money to buy a show they know would rate well on another channel (namely Ch 10) and then hold on to it so that Ch 10 can't get their hands on it.

Ch 7 is bad too though. If they hold back S3 of Alias until August like last year I will seriously lose it. I'll be able to buy it on DVD off Amazon before they show it on TV here!

ray18125

ray18125

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:51 PM

A warning to Cincinnati viewers, next Wednesday's episode (1/07) bounces to 11pm because of a college basketball game.

JuanitaSmi

JuanitaSmi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:16 AM

Looks like this week's ep will air at midnite on Wednesday in the Detroit market due to a Red Wings game. WTF? Fox doesn't normally air hockey here.

Edited by JuanitaSmi, Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:14 AM.

ray18125

ray18125

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

Fast National overnights from zap2it:

FOX enjoyed a strong night among adults 18-49, winning the demographic with a 4.9 rating. NBC was second at 4.5, and ABC's 3.7 just beat CBS' 3.6. The WB came in at 1.3, while UPN managed only a 0.7.

Newsmagazine "60 Minutes II," 8.6/14, won the 8 p.m. hour for CBS. "My Wife and Kids," 7.4/12, and "It's All Relative," 5.6/9, averaged 6.5/10 for the hour, putting ABC in a second-place tie with FOX. The latter aired new episodes of "That '70s Show," 5.6/9, and "The Simple Life," 7.5/11. "Ed," 5.9/9, finished fourth for NBC. The WB aired a "Smallville" rerun. UPN trailed with a repeat of "Star Trek: Enterprise."

At 9 p.m., "The King of Queens," 9.3/14, and "Becker," 8.2/12, kept CBS in front. "The West Wing," 8.6/13, was a close second for NBC, which actually drew about 350,000 more total viewers than CBS. FOX finished third with "The O.C.," 6.0/9. ABC dropped to fourth with the special "Life after Extreme Makeover." An "Angel" rerun on The WB did slightly better than a "Jake 2.0" repeat on UPN.

ctoan

ctoan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

That's really sad that Becker beat The O.C. Who watches that show?

Cradle Robber

Cradle Robber

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:28 PM

That's really sad that Becker beat The O.C. Who watches that show?

Senior citizens. The OC has nothing to worry about.

AKA

AKA

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

So, the airdates for upcoming episodes are as follows:
January 14th: "The Links" - ep #16 (prod #115)
January 21st: "The Rivals" - ep #17 (prod #116)
January 28th: "The Truth" - ep #18 (prod #117)
February 4th: "The Heartbreak" - ep #19 (prod #118)
February 11th: "The F-Word" - ep #20 (prod #119)

How many episodes were we supposed to get this season? I'm sensing another LONG hiatus before May sweeps. Any thoughts?

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:37 PM

27 eps this season, AKA.

More than likely, they'll air through march, take a half-month haitus in April and then finish up mid-May with the rest of the shows.

chuzla

chuzla

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Yay-The OC!
Yay-Seth!
Yay-Adam Brody!

I thought there was going to be a huge conflict for me on Wednesdays because of the time slot, but it turns out there's no contest. Sorry Angel-I promise I'll flip over during the commercials on Fox.

htt9au

htt9au

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:03 AM

AussieAndrew Read in the GG (that's Green Guide, not Gilmore Girls) before xmas that 9 will start showing OC again in the new year, which means around now but I've been checking the GG every week and there's nothing.

I've read a few posts about contacting channel 9 so i'm not even going to try there, but does anyone (with insider knowledge) know the exact reason for the show being pulled? I can understand if they pulled it because of christmas, but christmas is truly over now...

Actually, does anyone know what sort of ratings it was getting before 9 pulled the show?

i sure hope they don't pull a buffy, i can't afford to buy another bunch of DVD boxsets .*

*Had to buy Buffy DVD box sets because i couldn't stand what channel 7 did to the buffy schedule.

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:01 AM

Oh, thanks htt9au I heard that too. Every sunday I get the paper, and I get the TV Guide inside and take a scan of it, and so far nothing. No-one knows the ratings the OC got in those two nights it aired. Although when I did work exp, they have ratings updated every 15 minutes, and I took a quick scan of this classified information, everyone was too busy watching the US News feed about September 11. There was only so much you could watch about that before getting a bit detatched. But only the bosses got to look at it really. But Channel 9 has already screwed over The OC and will continue to for many new years to come. Welcome to the life of a roswall viewer I believe. And I think Channel 9 is playing John Doe late Friday/Saturday nights.

And regarding the Buffy BoxSets, I decided I'm going to collect the series which I stuck with since 1997. So I got Angel and Buffy Season 1 for Chrissy, then found out the DVD player broke, so I'm back to saving up for a new one! Heh

Edited by Aussie Andrew, Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:05 AM.

elmo

elmo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:49 PM

htt9au I am sad and actually rang Ch 9 (Sydney) when it was first taken off and was told it rated 'very badly' and could be back in a late night slot 'any time in the next two years as we have the rights for that long'.

I have heard runours of it being back soon but am not holding breath.

As a previous Roswell fan I can anticipate The OC being on at about 10.30/11.30 but continually getting bumped for overseas cricket etc. Saying that I am TV's bitch so would still watch just to get the OC.

Edited to say that the Dolly website that is hosted on the NineMSN website has a petition to bring back the OC. Seeing as it is affiliated with PCL and Nine hopefully this means it's coming back!

Edited by elmo, Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:18 PM.

ray18125

ray18125

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

Overnights from Zap2it:

ABC and FOX tied for the lead among adults 18-49, with each network pulling down a 4.5 rating. NBC averaged 4.2, CBS 3.5, The WB 2.0 and UPN 1.5.

A rerun of "Cold Case," 8.3/13, won the 8 p.m. hour for CBS. FOX took second with "That '70s Show," 5.9/9, and the finale of "The Simple Life," 7.1/11. NBC re-aired the premiere of "The Apprentice" to finish third. A repeat of "My Wife and Kids" and "It's All Relative" averaged 5.6/9 for ABC. "Smallville" returned to The WB with a 3.4/5. UPN trailed with "Star Trek: Enterprise."

It was crowded at the top of the ratings at 9 p.m., with "The West Wing," 8.1/12, barely coming out on top. The premiere of "The Bachelorette," 8.0/12, was right behind and actually drew a few more total viewers (12.4 million vs. NBC's 12.2 million). CBS finished a close third with "The King of Queens," 8.3/12, and "Becker," 7.5/11. "The O.C." posted a 5.6/8 for FOX. "Angel" kept The WB in fifth, ahead of a repeat of "America's Next Top Model" on UPN.

That's down .4 from last week's 6.0. "The Simple Life", OC's lead-in, was also down .4 from last week, even though yesterday was its season finale. Interesting.

Edited by ray18125, Jan 15, 2004 @ 6:46 PM.

AKA

AKA

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 8:49 PM

Looks like we're going to have another mini-hiatus:

Originally posted by Fraz
REPEAT JAN 28th THE HEIGHTS
FEB 4th Oliver Beene
THE O.C. will be preempted this one night only

so it looks like the schedule will be:
1-17: 21 Jan 04 The Rivals
1-18: 11 Feb 04 The Truth
1-19: 18 Feb 04 The Heartbreak
1-20: 25 Feb 04 The F-Word

Edited by AKA, Jan 16, 2004 @ 8:52 PM.

ctoan

ctoan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:02 PM

I knew CTV was showing The Heights on Jan 26th. I was worried they were going to put us behind Fox instead of ahead.

rockybeach

rockybeach

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

Woo! The O.C.'s ratings are way up, definitely from American Idol. Whee! It even won the 9:00 hour (although that was probably helped by West Wing being a rerun. But still!) Here's the info from zap2it.com:

American Idol's" festival of inept singers kept piling up ratings Wednesday, leading FOX to a win for the night and helping "The O.C." reach new highs.

FOX held onto the lead, narrowly, at 9 p.m. as "The O.C.," 7.8/12, delivered its best rating of the season by far. CBS was right behind, averaging 7.7/12 with "The King of Queens" and "Becker." ABC moved up to third with "The Bachelorette," 7.6/11 (and actually finished slightly ahead of CBS in total viewers). NBC dropped to fourth with a repeat of "The West Wing." UPN improved with a repeat of "America's Next Top Model," 2.6/4, which beat The WB's "Angel" by a few tenths of a point.

Edited by rockybeach, Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:26 AM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

Wow! The O.C. beat CBS's comedies and The Bachelorette! AI as a lead-in is a godsend for any show.

Kareny

Kareny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

I'm shocked and amazed. Wow, it's been so long since I've actually been obsessed with a popular show that I'm not quite sure how to respond to these latest ratings. Okay, can't send letters of protest to the network... can't start an internet campaign... can't try and hook all my friends in the hopes that 15 people will make the ratings soar...

How does one go about supporting a show that's actually popular? Inquiring minds would like to know. On to the awards show campaigns?

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

It is great AI helped the show's ratings, but it makes you wonder why some people don't choose to change the channel or whatever. I mean sure The West Wing was a repeat, but The Bachelorette was all new, it just amazes me that some are that lazy(?) that they don't choose to change the channel. But whatever, if it helps TOC, good times.

thestatic

thestatic

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Sometimes I forget the change the channel after I watch a show because I get pulled in by the next one, other times there's nothing else I want to watch coming on so I leave it on the same station.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

Yesterday's ratings of The OC. Along with American Idol, it helped propel Fox to the top slot in last night's ratings. AI was the top rated program of the night, with The OC coming in a close second with the 18-35 crowd to The Bachlorette during it's time slot.

AKA

AKA

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

Here's the schedule for the upcoming episodes. Looks like we'll have around six weeks of "hiati" between now and the season finale.

"The L.A." was renamed "The Goodbye Girl"

1-18 118 11 Feb 04 The Truth
1-19 119 18 Feb 04 The Heartbreak
1-20 120 25 Feb 04 The Telenovela
1-21 121 3 Mar 04 The Goodbye Girl

3/10 - There is no episode, and I have a feeling that we will be reduced to American Idol specials for most of March and April.

There are only 6 new episodes (after 1.21) for a total of 27 this season and we have 12 more weeks before the season officially ends. (3/10, 3/17, 3/24, 3/31, 4/7, 4/14, 4/21, 4/28, 5/5, 5/12, 5/19, and 5/26).

Edited by AKA, Feb 13, 2004 @ 7:05 PM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

3/10 - There is no episode, and I have a feeling that we will be reduced to American Idol specials for most of March and April.

Stupid American Idol and their extended results shows. *grumbles*

AKA

AKA

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

FYI from the spoiler thread:

According to TV Tome, May 12th is the last episode (#27) of Season 1

God that's depressing. Not to mention the fact that May 12th is 11 weeks from now and we have only 7 episodes left. Le Sigh.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

I just read in TV Guide (next week's and it says Inside Idol on the cover) that Fox is having a special showing of Tru Calling on April 14th (Wednesday) after American Idol in a effort to boost its ratings. Stupid Fox. Decent writing for the show might help it. Do they think American Idol viewers wouldn't notice that Tru Calling makes absolutely no sense, is lamer than lame and suddenly decide to tune in on Thursdays?

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 7:25 PM

just read in TV Guide (next week's and it says Inside Idol on the cover) that Fox is having a special showing of Tru Calling on April 14th (Wednesday) after American Idol in a effort to boost its ratings. Stupid Fox.

You said it, Gibasi. So I guess that's another Wednesday we won't get a new episode. *sigh*

I read in a couple of other threads that the next new episode will be on Tuesday, March 24th. Can anyone verify? And if this is true, why are they messing with the airtime?

cloud

cloud

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 8:03 PM

I read in a couple of other threads that the next new episode will be on Tuesday, March 24th.

Well according to the official website its Wednesday, March 24th. So I guess people just messed up the days.

Everything stays the same-no change of airdate.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 11:16 PM

Where's AKA, with the schedule? There's 5 episodes left. Sweeps are in May. In 2 weeks it's pre-empted for The Swan. Will it show in April at all? I hate this kind of scheduling.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 12:17 AM

Yes, I need a detailed schedule to make sure I don't miss an episode due to wonky FOX scheduling.

AKA

AKA

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 1:28 AM

Wow. I'm schedule girl. Story of my life--seriously.

In any case, it looks like we're going to have a tricky next 5 episodes. Two horrid mini-hiatii. Do they want those without Tivo or palm pilots to mistakenly tape American Idol blooper specials or something?

Oh wait. They probably do.

According to TV Tome the schedule is as follows:
  • 31-Mar-2004: 1-23 The Nana
  • 7-Apr-2004: No Episode
  • 14-Apr-2004: 1-24 The Proposal
  • 21-Apr-2004: 1-25: The Shower
  • 28-Apr-2004: No Episode
  • 05-May-2004: 1-26 The Strip
  • 12-May-2004: 1-27 Season Finale (untitled as of yet)
  • 19-May-2004--??-??-2004: Incredibly painful summer hiatus which is rumored not to end until after baseball!!!!!

Edited by AKA, Mar 25, 2004 @ 1:31 AM.