Australian Idol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

25880 replies to this topic

CdnTVwatcher

CdnTVwatcher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:35 PM

Greetings, Aussies! Just wishing you all a Happy New Year as it 2004 there. Here in mid-Canada, it's 6:30 pm.

Let us know what happens on WI! Myabe then I can avoid watching the crappy parts. Oh wait, then I'd have to avoid the whole thing.

djayde

djayde

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:33 PM

I just had to put this in, because it was bloody funny.
I was watching Millsy on Channel V last night and he did a cross from a chair, where he was sitting with these two girls...Anyway, they seemed completely unimpressed with him until he said,
"Hey! It's time for the Skank of the Year and Spunk of the Year Awards", to which he asked them who was the biggest Skank of the Year, and they answered: Paris Hilton. He's gone,"Um, I don't know, I think she's a nice girl, she doesn't have to pretend to be someone she's not - like Britney Spears."
Then one of the girls popped up with: "Well, she looked pretty skanky in that video!"
Hee!

foster duckwort

foster duckwort

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 10:57 PM

I am so totally watching 6:30. Not that I really want to, but I have a flight at like 8:00, so I'll be up early anyway. And this way I can take some sort of satisfaction in knowing before most other people.

OT/ We had some friends over last night and the topic of World Idol came up. There was a collective feel of 'Millys rules' and 'I want the first guy to win'. There was even an awful rendition of 'Maniac'. No they wern't drunk, but they were under the age of 14. Go figure.

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:43 AM

DjayDe - Oh that sounded hillarious! I would've paid to see that! Oh wait...it was on Pay Tv, I probably would've paid to see it.

And the Carols, ug... *shudders* I cannot stand watching them again! I left the room when the family sing along started.

But yes, I too am World Idol's bitch, so I'll be up at 6:20 giving me 10 minutes to make a stumble out to the loungeroom. Then after world Idol. Onto Sunrise to get out of Zombie Mode.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:21 AM

I'll be watching! If I can get out of bed, I got up at 2pm today so I may have trouble getting to sleep tonight. Loving my holidays.

mercury_ca

mercury_ca

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:04 AM

Hi, Greetings from London. (I'm a Canadian here playing press.)

I hope this offends no one, but your guy Dicko? A bit of an ass. He may have just been having a bad day at the press thing yesterday, but he was a bit snippy at...everyone. Could have been that maybe his humor didn't translate? I don't know.

Other than that. your Idol Guy is very nice to us press (hee!) and has the goofiest smile ever. I kind of want to marry him just for his smile ;)

Have a great day all and sleep well before you get up for the live show!

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

*yawns* Well, I'm sad enough that I got up at 6:30 to watch the live results, then straight onto the computer to discuss them. Do I get some sort of prize?

I can't believe how badly Guy did. I thought that he'd come in around fourth, but he didn't even make the top five. I didn't see the final results for the lower ranked contestants, but from the craptastic votes he was getting I'm assuming he came in about seventh. Bad Guy! Bad! The patriotic part of me is fighting with the part of me that loves to see Guy lose, so I'm half enjoying this and half cursing Guy for putting on a bad showing.

Once again I must proclaim my Shannon love, because I'm convinced that if he'd gone he would have fared much better - after all, he's both hot and talented. Sigh.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

I'll put this in spoiler tags for those who may not watch till tonight.

7th! Woo! It was funny listening to the announcer on Power FM down here this morning. Had HairBear won, it would have been on, right on 7:30. They didn't announce it on radio down here until 8:20am, bemonaing the fact that Kurt had performed about 70 concerts and HairBear hasn't had any! Big HairBeary deal!

I'm wondering how the folks at Aussie BMG are going to take this result. Here's their prodigy, ready to take on the world, but in the eyes of the voting (and CD buying) audience, he's crap, And first impressions last. He only polled better than the Polish looney, Jamai from the Netherlands, the Maniac from Germany, and despite her pretty song, the Pan Arabic Diana. Even Will with his tepid attempt shat on him from a great height.

Quoting the Daily Telegraph "...Sebastian's rhythm and blues version of the Louis Armstrong ballad What a Wonderful World was not enough to secure the title over Nilsen."
LINK It weren't enough to beat most of the contestants! And you call THAT an arrangement! Hee!

ETA Check out this horrid picture of HairBear, it's an article with the results.

Edited by Andrew's Mommy, Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:50 PM.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:58 AM

Oh, fuck patriotism - that was FANTASTIC. It was well worth the early start to see that little prick get smacked down on the world stage. Perhaps now the rest of Australia will catch up in realising just how crap he is and get over him just in time to see the realease of Shannon's CD.

Hmm...that may have been BMG's plan all along...

ETA: The photo in that link, Andrew's Mommy, is just before/after that freak attempted to molest a male member of the studio audience during his performence.

Edited by cavalier196, Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:01 AM.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:48 PM

This mornings DT has a refreshed story with this gem:

Australian judge Ian Dickson said he believed that Sebastian's unusual look, in contrast, had probably counted against him in the international tally because it was so unlike what other countries would have assumed an Australian popstar would be.

Hmm so the pundits in the media saying that Guy should be the Idol, not based on his talent (?), but based on the fact that he was "multicultural" and Shannon was not, will now be saying that the rest of the world is racist? Hee!

On the other hand, Hobbit Boy was "unusual" (Dicko said it himself) and he won, so it must just be that WAWW was crap.

BTW molesting male audience members is going to do nothing for his rep, but might just earn him a float at Mardi Gras this year!

Edited by Andrew's Mommy, Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:49 PM.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 7:32 PM

Hmm...Guy as a gay icon.

Gimme a while to digest that.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

I think Kurt winning had a fair bit to do with both Dicko AND the fact that he went last. Remember how in the preliminary AI heats, if you weren't in the last four you never got through?

Perhaps now the rest of Australia will catch up in realising just how crap he is and get over him just in time to see the realease of Shannon's CD.

I'm already over Shannon, and I don't need to hear his CD!

Edited by katisha66, Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:30 AM.

La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:29 AM

I'm over Shannon as well. His single is quite bland and soulless, especially compared to the first live version. I've heard it maybe three times on the radio.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:17 AM

La Dolce Vita, I've NEVER understood the appeal with Shannon. As people say around here, I'm "not feeling the Shannon love". Nice bloke, certainly, but an average singer/muso at best.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

Sunday Telegraph today has the first "Guy was Robbed" article that I have seen.

Dear Dicko

The whole point of this WI exercise was to get the PUBLIC to vote for THEIR World Idol. Sure, there is the whole teenybopper movement (what else could explain Will or Heinz getting as high as they did), but frankly, HairBear's version of What a Wonderful World WAS CRAP. Any pretty well much the whole world agreed on what they thought was the "best". Kurt and Kelly placed 1,2 on almost every voting result, Guy didn't place above 5th for every other country! You see, the rest of the world agrees it was crap too!

As much as you and your other 10 "experts" valued your OWN opinions, and you experts decide what we should listen to, the World voted for what THEY wanted, and it wasn't a crap-ass cover of WAWW. We all know what market you are aiming at in Oz (cashed up 8-14 year old girls), but, surprise surprise, other people DO exist! (How else do you explain the continued popularity of Celine Dion?)

Love, Andrew's Mommy.

Edited by Andrew's Mommy, Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:21 PM.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

Bwa!

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

katish66 said:

La Dolce Vita, I've NEVER understood the appeal with Shannon. As people say around here, I'm "not feeling the Shannon love". Nice bloke, certainly, but an average singer/muso at best.

Preach it, loud and clear. "Average" is being fairly generous too, IMO. Having recently acquired a Sinatra CD brings it even more home how Shannon should stay far, far away from Frank's "signature songs". Don't sing it if you're not going to do it justice. Don't even contemplate singing it if you're going to do Elvis moves in it. Gah.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:08 PM

Sunday Telegraph today has the first "Guy was Robbed" article that I have seen.

Andrew's Mommy, Dicko is also being very hypocritical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Guy FIRST sang that version of What a Wonderful World, Dicko was the one who said he should respect the melody more! Obviously slightly changed his tune for his new BMG artist.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:24 AM

Oh POOtlus and KATisha (meooow) poor Shannon, I love his voice more than ever, I can't wait to get his album!

I just hope not all the songs are as lame as WAM which I didn't like in the first place. He is far better off with a ballad than a screamfest. Stop trying to market him as the new Barnsey you evilBMG bastards!

Shannon's Better Man, in my opinion, is one of the best musical recordings ever.

And I, a true Sinatra fan, must agree that he should steer clear of Frank's songs. No one will ever sing like Sinatra. It's pointless trying.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:09 AM

Stop trying to market him as the new Barnsey you evilBMG bastards!

Yeah, we need another Barnsey...don't we???? :)

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:45 AM

Heh, I love Chisel but solo Barnsey can take a hike. One is indeed more than enough.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

No-one should try and cover Sinatra. Just like no-one should ever cover Bohemian Rhapsody.

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:53 PM

Aah, back from a break, and posting here, because there is no way I will be able to make my way through the World Idol thread anyway. I taped the 6:30am show and watched it in the morning, kinda a compromise between my wanting to know and the fact that I couldn't be arsed getting up early.

I'm disappointed that Guy didn't do better, but to be honest, this WI doesn't really mean anything. It's one song, one look and the reaction of the audiences to the judges comments. I don't believe that Kurt will get a No.1 in all of those countries any more than I believe that Guy couldn't be successful there either. I can't believe how stupid the ACA interviews with Dicko and Today Tonight's even worse one with Shannon were. They were all like "what does this mean? Willl Guy still succeed???" I had to restrain myself from screaming at the TV: " nothing is certain in this business, you idiots. Just let it go". And Shannon. Shannon showed himself to be his usual inarticulate idiot, couldn't string a complete sentence together. Shannon, it's called a verb and an object and a full stop. Learn it, and use it.

I managed to miss the actual WI show, but am trying to get my hands on a copy of the show so I can see the full performances of everybody.

Edited by AndyCake, Jan 4, 2004 @ 6:19 PM.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

I missed Shannon on tele? Bugger, that's because I slept through the morning showing and didn't want to spoil for the evening, so I missed ACA and the like.

Hell, I'm not prepared to listen to any interviews with Shannon if he is going to be inarticulate, anyway, I can't have my image of him destroyed! Just shush handsome and start singing. That voice makes me weak at the knees.

chocolatesauce

chocolatesauce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

I find it really annoying that on pratically all the news articles they say "Oh, Kurt just came out from behind and no-one expected it". Bah! It was entirely predictable that Kurt would win after he sung and the judges gave their comments. Bah! Thats my two-cents worth anyway.

WAM was alright the first time aroung, IMO, but now it's just getting annoying.

Dissapointed that Guy didn't do better, but, as AndyCake said, one listen, one look and one show. IMO, that song needs to be played more than once and it then grows on you. A few people in this thread would disagree, though :)

P.S. That website makes me crack up so bad, raen, thanks for the link. Heehee!!!!

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:51 PM

Was there a split second that you believed it chocolatesauce? I have to admit just for a split second I was like wha??!!

I've been wondering lately what Guy thinks of the idol tag. Is it not part of Christianity to not worship false idols? I wonder if he has ever been uncomfortable with the moniker or had shit from the church about it.

From my limited to exposure to Christianity as a child I remember there was a lot of talk about "false idols". I could be taking it far too literally I guess.

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:43 AM

raen, if you don't want to see Shannon being an inarticulate idiot, then you'd definitely better avoid any interviews he gives. :-) I couldn't believe just how bad he was, there seriously wasn't a single coherent sentence amongst his utterances.

Dicko, however, was milking his "hobbit" pun for all it's worth.... saying stuff on ACA like "they're partying in middle earth" and all this shit. The dumb ersatz Ray Martin chick didn't even realise she was supposed to use her fake current affair host (tm Frontline) chuckle after the jokes, so they fell even flatter than they would have otherwise. I almost, almost, dusted off my "Holden, shut the fuck up!" and threw it at Dicko, but he's endeared himself to me too much, so he gets a second chance.

Did anybody see the footage of Guy arriving home at the airport? The "crowd" of fans was kind of pathetic. Poor kid. Looks like his 2nd single is coming out soon, though. Still haven't heard Shannon's song, probably because I don't listen to MMM or something. Any word on how that's doing??

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:57 AM

Yes I saw Guy coming home at the airport. He looked very puffy. Poor lad. His fangirls hee. Poor little things. I mean if you have even less hope of sleeping with your teenage pop star obsession, than I ever had of sleeping with Simon Le Bon, what's with the mobbing and squealing? At least I knew Simon put out.

Shannon's site says the single will be released January 26. I guess that's either wrong or they are playing some kind of preview.

BJC

BJC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:57 AM

I think Dicko is going to get as much mileage out of his "hobbit" analogy as possible.

"What About Me" isn't released as a single to purchase until the end of January, so its impossible to tell how it is doing chart wise.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:28 AM

Beej! Not surprised I haven't seen you in the American Idol WI forum they are a little hard on your Will and I don't mean in an excited way. ;)

And how about Kurt and Guy dissing him?