The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

• Please log in to reply

9678 replies to this topic

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

Man, I could watch Morgan Freeman & Craig Ferguson talk metaphysics, science & destiny for hours. Great show.

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 12:19 AM

I predict:

A move to E Network or a movie to Comedy Central. On both venues, Craig will not be censored for (most) of his language. Tonight on the show he alluded to Geoff, about his censored language, "Not for long. Not for long." Geoff did his sidekick chuckle and then they moved on.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 5:35 AM

I'm not sure that I would want Craig to go to a cable channel , and I hope he can avoid that. I don't care about hearing more profanity,  but I do care about  some of the A-list guests that he can get now, which wouldn't be the case on a low-rated cable show.

Edited by AVorlon, Apr 12, 2014 @ 5:47 AM.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:10 AM

I want Craig to stay right where he is and keep doing what he's doing.  We are already losing Stephen I don't want to lose Craig too.  That would be way too much change for my late night viewing.  I used to like Conan when he followed Jay.  I did not follow him to TBS.  I may have tried, but there are too many late night shows to keep up with now as it is.  

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

On both venues, Craig will not be censored for (most) of his language.

Sometimes the late shows on Comedy Central can get away with a "shit" an episode but unless I'm putting harsher words in his mouth when he's bleeped than he's actually saying, he'd largely get censored on basic cable as well. A lot of it is network self-imposed, even on CBS at the time he's on.

I don't see him taking this show to cable.  I don't see a cable channel thinking the show he creates on CBS would bring them the ratings they desire.  A different show?  Possibly. 

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 3:04 PM

I wasn't saying it seemed like a good idea, just thought it was interesting repartee' between him and Geoff.

I have basic cable and even on basic there are a ton of words that are aired without bleeping.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 4:36 PM

Man, I could watch Morgan Freeman & Craig Ferguson talk metaphysics, science & destiny for hours. Great show.

It's exactly why his show wouldn't work at 11:30.  You wouldn't get a discussion about predestination an hour earlier.  

Most of the articles I've read make the assumption that Craig is likely to leave the network because he was passed over for The Late Show.  Based on articles I've read and interviews I've heard Craig give, I've never had the impression that 11:30 was an ambition for him as it was for Conan and as is for Colbert.  If Craig chooses not to renew his contract then it's his decision on his terms.  There's a brief video interview HuffPo conducted with Dorian Hannaway, a former director of late night programming at CBS, who believes that The Late Show was Craig's to say no to.  I tend to agree. 

My only issue with this entire situation is the potential that Craig will be pushed out of the show.              

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 8:09 PM

Craig is the single best interviewer among all his peers - bar none.

His recent Morgan Freeman interview was a terrific example of what an interview could and should be.

I will never forget his interview with Philip Seymor Hoffman - absolutely in the same category.

When he has bright, aware guests on, they both shine. 

When he has dolts on - Kristin Stewert anyone - he sweats bullets and the guest is revealed as, well, a dolt.

ebk57

ebk57

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:20 PM

According to this article, Craig's contract does go through June... of 2015.

I find this whole article rather sad.  If CBS really thinks the show is "too narrow" I don't know what they're watching.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1754069

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:07 AM

Affable Jimmy Fallon is just one youtube ready skit after another with filler interviews. Affable Seth Myers' is as bland as bland can be. Fred Armisen is wasted space on that show.

In contrast, Craig is a trailblazer. I've never ever seen a guy turn interviews from rock bottom to top of the world like he does.

Too narrow? I think that must be a buzz word for too intelligent. Fallon and Myers are putting out sausage meat shows in comparison.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm just about over the hill completely.

Edited by maryis, Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:08 AM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:55 PM

I've never ever seen a guy turn interviews from rock bottom to top of the world like he does.

Heh. I'm not a regular viewer, but I remember he had on a European scientist(??) and it was looking like the interview was going to completely blow, but Craig managed to make to make it work with the help of some chocolate coins.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:09 PM

Rumor has it, Chelsea Handler is getting The Late Late Show. Way to go CBS, between this and Colbert, you've just ensured I won't watch either of your late night shows. Not a Colbert fan and Handler repulses me. 

bgrhu

bgrhu

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

Rumors should be checked at the door. :/ CBS has denied they are in discussions with Chelsea Handler about the 12:30 slot:

http://www.vulture.c...ea-handler.html

Relevant quotage:

“There are no discussions with Chelsea Handler regarding the network’s 12:30 late night broadcast,” a CBS spokesman told Vulture.

That said, Craig does not have his contract locked down. It's entirely possible that he'll want to move on when Dave does - he's always said he doesn't envision himself doing the show forever. But we won't find out anything until it's official, so no need to pay too much attention to rumors and speculation, IMO.

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

I suggest keeping your lateral vision on those around Craig. If 'the skeleton' bails, it's a harbinger.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 6:16 PM

Didn't Handler suddenly quit her show and dis her network?  I don't know if she will get a non-cable gig after that.  Plus if the network really wanted a woman, there are better choices.  I don't particularly like any of the other choices either, but I think Chelsea Handler is pretty much bottom of the barrel.  However, I can't think of a woman out there right now that I would watch.  

I haven't heard any rumors about Craig leaving. I hope he stays for a few more years.   

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:59 AM

He was funny and relaxed tonight and joking about the entire situation.

No solution or hints of course, just Craig being Craig.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 4:44 AM

Yeah, he was confident and in a good mood, and having a good time making light of all the internet rumors.  During the Tweetmail segment, he got fake phone calls from Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon, and Chelsea Handler.  Chelsea wanted to know the dimensions of the windows, so she could put up some new drapes.

It didn't seem like the sort of comedy you would do if you were truly worried about anything.  I also noticed that Peter Lassally, the executive producer of the show,  seemed to be present tonight.

Edited by AVorlon, Apr 16, 2014 @ 5:13 AM.

markm

markm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

I read here that Chelsea Handler went on the Ellen show and said she is not interested in having a late night show on CBS or any network because 'of my mouth'.  My guess is CBS told her they are not interested in her replacing Craig.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Tis' true

http://www.ellentv.c...eos/0-jxa3dz3d/