The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

• Please log in to reply

9678 replies to this topic

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

Jedzz writes:

I could never forgive Kilborn because the Tom Snyder show was a huge guilty pleasure of mine back in the day.

"...so sit back, fire up the colortinis, and watch the pictures as they fly through the air."

I cannot agree more strongly. Tom Snyder was a hoot, and I'm pretty sure he's not doing anything else right now.

Even if they don't get Tom back, though, I want the format of the old Late Late Show back: an old-style no-studio-audience general-interest chat show with viewer call-in, because it means the guests actually have to have conversations with the host.

It would fill a great need, because if you want that sort of thing today, you're stuck with the choice between Larry King and his senile dementia or Charlie Rose, who, God love 'im, is half in the damn bag every night.

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

It doesn't matter that it's on basic cable

But, it does matter--not everyone gets Comedy Central, whereas anyone who has a crappy television with an antenna attached gets CBS. Moving to the LLS would give him more exposure (this is assuming that he wants more).

countrygirlsons

countrygirlsons

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 9:34 PM

Tom Snyder's Late Late Show was indeed priceless. Even when he annoyed me, he was always intelligent and interesting. I have tried countless times to watch Craig for more than thirty seconds, but he's just been a complete bore, in every way.

Anyway, to bring things full circle, I remember when Tom Snyder had Bonnie Hunt, and two other celebrities on (both male, and I can't remember who they were), to critique an Oscar telecast. Bonnie was, as always, so brilliant, I remember that I could not stop laughing. Tom asked her how she felt about some star or another, and she said, (paraphrasing), "Well, I hear he's a real bobcat in the sack." It just came out of nowhere, with that deadpan expression of hers. Tom's reaction laugh was priceless---IIRC, all three men were unable to stop laughing for awhile.

Yeah, either of those two would be so great in that slot. I agree with above posters, Jon Stewart isn't going to allow his show to be ruined by network TV censors. Whoever it turns out to be will certainly be an improvement over Craig's smugness and lack of funny.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 10:52 PM

I agree that the set-up/format of the Tom Snyder show was the best. Maybe it's my attention deficit, but that void behind the guests lets you really focus on the nuances. It feels like you are also in the dark, listening to your parent's adult conversation from the top of the stairs. Did he also have a scotch&water in his paw during the interview, or am I on crack again?

Kilborn IS tediously dull. I guess I don't care for the frat-boyish persona, even if it is meant to be enjoyed ironically. There is only one person that will make me change the channel faster, and that's Carson Daly.

LookSee

LookSee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

Ding dong the Ass is finally gone.

[QUOTE]I don't care for the frat-boyish persona, even if it is meant to be enjoyed ironically[quote]

Was it suppose to be ironic? I've always found it sad...sad that a 40-ish year old guy would still be acting like that - dude, grow up already.

Judois

Judois

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 1:15 AM

I know I posted earlier that I'd love Vince Vaughn or Bonnie Hunt to come on board but I don't think that's going to happen. Now, if they can get Tom Snyder, that would be so sweet. I've loved him since the Tomorrow show. I hold him partially responsible for my insomnia since childhood.

Gorey

Gorey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 1:23 AM

Since Tom was the one Craig Killborn replaced I really can't see that happening.

KansasRose24

KansasRose24

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

Hmm, I don't know how I feel about this. I am an avid Conan viewer, but I ususually flip during commericials - and I always watch Craig when he has a guest I particulary like. Safe to say he's not one of the best, but he has amused me at times. I guess we'll have to wait and see who the replacement will be.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

I believe Jon Stewart was offered the show 5+ years ago when Snyder was leaving. He said he didn't want to leave NYC and since it's an LA show I guess they went with an LA guy.

I hope Jon stays at Comedy Central & CBS runs repeats of Tom Snyder for a while (those post Oscar shows w/Bonnie Hunt were great).

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

Well this probably won't happen but Dave does loves her and her show would be like nothing else on late night. If it does happen I really hope someone is there to film Craig Killborn's face when he hears the news.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 16, 2004 @ 7:35 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

How about a camera on Conan's face as well? Amy is a regular guest on Conan, and I think he'd be hurt by the choice. I would definitely tune in to see what Amy would do with her own show.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

I can't really imagine Conan would be upset, I would watch Amy in a heartbeat but I don't think he would challenge him for ratings.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

I'm still hoping it's a salary ploy on Craig's part and that CBS convinces him to stay.

*fingers crossed*

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

Thanks for the reminder about Amy Sedaris, biakbiak. I caught this British show called "Nighty Night" on Oxygen last week? And was going nuts trying to describe it's sick-but-in-a-good-way irreverence to my friend - but it's like Strangers With Candy.

She is great. I think it would be great to have a female force in that slot. I would love to see a distaff Tough Crowd with Amy, Laura Knightlinger, Sarah Silverman and Jeanneane Garofalo. Let the snark begin!

Edited by Ingresgumball, Aug 17, 2004 @ 3:06 PM.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

I'm not sure what's making me happier - that Kilborn will be the hell off TV or the list of suggested replacements here.

I have no idea if Tom or Craig or Bonnie or any of them are/wear asshats in real life ($5 says Craig's chapeau is merde), but on TV, Tom and Bonnie are class acts, consistently entertaining, funny, great to watch.

Craig? I guess over age, pathetic frat-boy is one way to describe him. Rude and sophomoric are others. But funny? Not so much.

Love Jon, not wishing CBS on him. Letterman can barely deal with them, and he's got lots and lots of experience. Can't imagine the workout Les(s) Moonves' sphincter gets during his 'friendly' calls with Dave.

And don't want to, particularly, actually.

Edited by buttersister, Aug 17, 2004 @ 4:44 PM.

Katiemom

Katiemom

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

I love Amy Sedaris as a guest but I don't know how she'd do as a host. I think Bonnie Hunt is tailor made for this job. She is one of the smartest, quickest and wittiest person I've ever experienced.

I think it would be great to have a female force in that slot. I would love to see a distaff Tough Crowd with Amy, Laura Knightlinger, Sarah Silverman and Jeanneane Garofalo. Let the snark begin!

These are the ladies that should replace the shrews on the SPIEW.

DetroitChick

DetroitChick

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 7:22 PM

Craig? I guess over age, pathetic frat-boy is one way to describe him. Rude and sophomoric are others. But funny? Not so much.

I beg to differ. I really enjoy watching Craig. In fact, when Mr. DetroitChick told me he wasn't doing the show anymore I was bummed. And surprisingly, so was he. See, in "real life", I would hate someone like Craig, but I dig his whole asshat persona on the show. It's like he's making fun of himself. I love it. It's funny to me.

(Ducking in case anyone is throwing barware)

Aunt Shelley

Aunt Shelley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 2:40 AM

No barware from me, DetroitChick. I like him, too. Everyone on the show seems to know they are acting like jerks, the guests get it, the audience goes with it, and a good time is had by all.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 2:45 AM

Yes on Bonnie Hunt being made for the job, but you know, what about Ellen Degeneres movin' on up?

TracyT37

TracyT37

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 8:13 AM

Yes on Bonnie Hunt being made for the job, but you know, what about Ellen Degeneres movin' on up?

Ellen will stay in syndication, since her contract is with NBC, and she has many years left, and that would be a huge buyout. Bonnie would be the perfect choice at the slot, but I'm not sure she would be. She can talk for an hour an entertain us, including myself. But your talking about young people watching. I would think Bonnie would have a Tom Snyder format and just talk. But, if she would do a traditional format, I would not think it would succeed because people will find her one-note and that she can't do skits or have a memorable character. I just hope I'm wrong and people actually see a true talent on hand.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 8:41 AM

The writers have been having a ball with the "Craig is leaving" jokes...very funny stuff.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

Aw, I'm going to miss the writers most of all. I have an abiding fondness for Five Questions, but I really tune in to see things like What Up, Recreation of a Press Photo, Gibby's hallway interviews, and all the other silly stuff at the top of the show.

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 9:56 PM

It's sad to see Craiggers go, but IMHO his glory days were over a few years ago.
Does anyone else remember the good old days of the Ewok Guy, Anna Kournikova on the window seat, Severe Chest Pains Lady, etc? Back in his first year was when Craig was at his prime. I'm really hoping they'll replay some old clips or do a cheesy walk down memory lane on his last show (next Friday)

Edited by canadiantyler20, Aug 19, 2004 @ 9:57 PM.

countrygirlsons

countrygirlsons

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

I really don't get the Craig-love. I usually watch Conan, flip over to Jimmy Kimmel or Craig to see what's going on when I'm bored, and I have been consistently amazed that Craig's gotten this far. I loved him on the Daily Show, but IMHO he didn't cross over well at all. (Though, I thank God he left, so Jon could walk in!)

Anyway, with the Olympics going on into late night, I've been watching, especially to see what he does with the 'death of Craig's late night'; I am astounded at his ego---last night he said something about how he knew everyone would miss him, but it was said as he was shuffling papers or something, not like he was trying to be sarcastic or funny. How many times does he have to say he's choosing this in order to relax? Maybe once a night would be believable, but every few minutes just sounds defensive and tiresome.

No offense intended for the fans here!

Aunt Shelley

Aunt Shelley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2004 @ 1:29 AM

OMG! The Chest Pains Lady! I remember thinking that was funny then, but the memory of it right now is cracking me up!

"I'm having chest pains. (leans closer to news crew microphone) CHEST PAINS!"

That is what you're referring to, right? HILARIOUS!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2004 @ 7:04 AM

See, I never think Craig's serious when he mentions how everyone's going to miss him -- I take it as a jab at himself, because he knows he's not very popular. I also don't think he wants to leave at all and is kicking himself (or his manager) for his money-grubbing ways.

Six days to obscurity!

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Aug 20, 2004 @ 9:40 AM

OMG! The Chest Pains Lady! I remember thinking that was funny then, but the memory of it right now is cracking me up!

"I'm having chest pains. (leans closer to news crew microphone) CHEST PAINS!"

That is what you're referring to, right? HILARIOUS!

Yep, that's her!

funkymunky

funkymunky

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 8:29 PM

I miss the Ewok guy! He was so funny. And the bear falling on the trampoline.

Hey, CanadianTyler, are you also on the WNN board at abc.com? The name sounds familiar.

gringa25

gringa25

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

Does anyone know why he really is quitting the show. I just can't buy the "wanting to relax" line. It doesn't seem like enough for someone to break a contract & leave w/such short notice. In the show I watched, he seemed almost sad. And for the first time ever I felt a shred of sympathy for Craig Kilborn.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 25, 2004 @ 1:24 AM

I think Jon Stewart was sort of throwing his hat into Craig's ring tonight when he leaned in towards Kerry and asked, "Let me ask you this - can you get me on a network?"