The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

• Please log in to reply

9679 replies to this topic

coastsunrise

coastsunrise

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

I like Craig wearing vests.

Yeah, quite a few people seem to agree. I agree to a point. It's a nice change of pace once in a while, but I don't like to see him in a three piece suit each night. It's too formal a look for the otherwise relaxed vibe of the show. He looks overdressed.

I also think he looks better overall without the vest. The three piece suit makes his body look bulkier to me. Then with the slicked down hair they've been putting on him lately, which makes him look older anyway, the whole look just screams "older man" to me. The more casually he dresses (even if that's just an open jacket and a loosened tie) and the less grease he has in his hair, I think the better and younger he looks.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

Great show tonight, even though the CBS feed went out during the Steven Tyler interview. I don't know if that was just my local cable company or what, but at least I could still hear what they were saying. I always thought Mr. Tyler would be great for this show, and I presume they already had the Golden Hormonica ready to go.

I also hope that he can use it as one of the first musical guests when the new studio starts operating in September.

Edited by AVorlon, May 9, 2012 @ 3:37 AM.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Looked like the Steven Tyler interview went so well that they cut the Tweetmail segment. Notice that the floor was strewn w/paper?

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

No idea why, but my enjoyment of marching Secretariat has surpassed dancing Secretariat.

Looked like the Steven Tyler interview went so well that they cut the Tweetmail segment.

That interview was made of awesome. I was halfheartedly watching the show while browsing the Internet and the Tyler interview made me stop what I was doing and pay attention. Craig usually makes the most out of the less than interesting guests, but his interviews absolutely shine when the guest has some substance.

I have no idea who Jamie King is, but she was delightful and won me over when she started gushing about Harry Potter.

Edited by dbrits, May 9, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Wasn't she the 15 year old model who went by James and wound up addicted to heroin? She's come a long way.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Wasn't she the 15 year old model who went by James and wound up addicted to heroin? She's come a long way.

Holy crap. According to IMDB, you're absolutely right. Good for her. Looking at her now, you'd never suspect such a troubled youth.

coastsunrise

coastsunrise

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I loved the Steven Tyler interview as well. That amazed me because I've never been a fan of Aerosmith and never had any particular interest in Steven Tyler. But I enjoyed that interview from start to finish, and was even sorry when it ended. You can tell that Craig was very interested in talking to him. I hope he returns.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

I did enjoy what Tyler said, but it was disturbing to look at him. I don't watch Idol, so I haven't seen him besides in passing. His face looks like it's melting. I know he's always been an unusual looking guy, but now he looks like a post-menopausal woman in Boca Raton.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Yeah, I'm indifferent to Tyler. I stopped watching American Idol a couple of seasons ago, so I've not really seen how he is on that show, but I really enjoyed him with Craig. I even thought that he was quicker than Craig at the beginning, which I've noticed happens sometimes with Craig when he either doesn't really know the guest or is distracted or just not paying attention. And, you know, not everyone can pull off that outfit. I love when he said it cost a lot to look this cheap.

Now as for last night's show, I was very happy to see the Prince Charles sketch again. It always cracks me up.

Jenna Fisher was a good guest -- I've never seen her interviewed before. Danny Huston kept on about bananas, didn't he? I loved his line in that clip about the gorilla and a banana (but of course now I can't remember how it went), and I think he expected Craig to bring it up. Instead, Danny brought it up at least three times.

Oh, and I would LOVE to see Craig reenact "The Man Who Would Be King" by playing both Michael Caine and Sean Connery. Awesome!

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

His contributions as an Idol judge are questionable, but, excepting that, Steven Tyler always brings substance to a conversation. You can tell how profoundly the changes he's made over the years have affected him (for the better). I enjoyed his time with Craig, even when his wisdom spiels kind of ran off the rails a bit.

Brief thought on tonight's show: Anna Chlumsky looks amazing!

Edited by HeadlessOne, May 12, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

Bezique

Bezique

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Marc Maron interviewed Craig. WTF Podcast This podcast has become a pilgrimage for comedians and is always interesting.

They didn't have much rapport and Marc doesn't think much of Craig's interviewing skills--said Craig "talks alot" and "is too present" during interviews--but considering Marc's a longtime Conan sycophant, it could have gone a lot worse. Anyone who's read Craig autobiography will know most of the material but there's some new stuff, including Craig's doubts about a certain organization listed near the front of the phone book.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

I think the thing that bugs Marc (and some other comics) about Craig is that he leaves his own show before they do their stand up set. They touched on it briefly towards the beginning of the podcast. I do think that's a bit on the rude side, only because every other host has always sat at their desk & many do the handshake/plug at the end of the televised set.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I've not yet listened to the podcast, so perhaps this is addressed, but anyways...

In regards to the comics and even the musicians who appear on the show, I wonder if we'll start getting the traditional "handshake/plug" when they transition to the new studio. Rather than the comics and musicians being edited into the show as they usually are now, this new space might allow them film the show in sequence. Craig would then be able to stick around when they perform at the end of the show. That being said, Craig doesn't strike me as one who cares about such traditions. Plus, editing in a guest/comic/musician allows Craig some leeway when an interview gets interesting and he decides to keep it going past its time limit.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Craig would then be able to stick around when they perform at the end of the show.

He's perfectly able to stick around now, he just chooses not to. He said something on the podcast about having a family to get home to, which struck me as rather a lame excuse when someone is doing a 3-4 minute bit of comedy.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I think the thing that bugs Marc (and some other comics) about Craig is that he leaves his own show before they do their stand up set. They touched on it briefly towards the beginning of the podcast. I do think that's a bit on the rude side, only because every other host has always sat at their desk & many do the handshake/plug at the end of the televised set.

It probably depends on the comedian, and on the show that's being taped/when the comedy segment is being taped. IIRC, there's been more than one instance when you could hear Craig laughing out loud at the jokes while the comedian was doing his bit.

Edited by Kaoteek, May 12, 2012 @ 3:57 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Marc Maron interviewed Craig. WTF Podcast This podcast has become a pilgrimage for comedians and is always interesting.

They didn't have much rapport and Marc doesn't think much of Craig's interviewing skills--said Craig "talks alot" and "is too present" during interviews--but considering Marc's a longtime Conan sycophant, it could have gone a lot worse.

I've not listened to the podcast -- They're pretty long, aren't they? -- but I think I agree with Marc about Craig's interviewing skills. He does talk a lot, which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't, imo. He often pulls attention from the guest to himself. Is that what Marc meant by "too present"?

From the other night, I really liked a couple of jokes Craig did. One was showing a photo of Donald Trump when he talked about the guy whose hair Romney cut back in prep school, and the other was that the Kardashians get waxed at the La Brea Tar Pits.

Lately I've been FF'ing past the intro with the extraneous people on stage with him.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Long but interesting podcast. Also, never really felt Craig & Marc "didn't have much rapport", seeing as the show was pleasant, entertaining, and both guys regularly took playful shots at each other (on the "Craig not being there for some stand-up segments" subject, for instance), which at least indicates that they get along well. Craig did sound tired, though.

On the subject of the interviews, Craig admits right away, when asked by Marc (who feels Craig is "ever present during the interviews" - not in a critical way, but more in a "always present and interacting with the guest" kinda way -) that he's not a great interviewer, and that he feels compelled to talk a lot when the guest is disappointing and/or uncooperative.

Edited by Kaoteek, May 12, 2012 @ 4:33 PM.

coastsunrise

coastsunrise

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

It probably depends on the comedian, and on the show that's being taped/when the comedy segment is being taped. IIRC, there's been more than one instance when you could hear Craig laughing out loud at the jokes while the comedian was doing his bit.

It's interesting, because Craig does stick around for some comedians. He'll introduce them, they come onstage and it's clear by the camera shot that they've pushed the desk over and he's sitting there listening, and then those particular comedians will come over and have another segment talking to Craig at the desk. Paula Poundstone always seems to get that type of treatment. Also Louie Anderson. The last time Marc Marron was on the show, Craig was there and he came over and had a segment talking to Craig. He seems to pick and choose the few comedians that he'll stick around and interact with, and I think that's usually the more established comics that he knows well.

As for the podcast, I thought Craig and Marc Marron had a good rapport. I enjoyed the conversation, and Craig seemed very relaxed and willing to answer anything he was asked. Marron definitely called Craig on leaving while some comedians perform,and Craig's response WAS pretty lame. But it all seemed good natured, and there didn't seem to be any hostility.

Craig admits right away, when asked by Marc (who feels Craig is "ever present during the interviews" - not in a critical way, but more in a "always present and interacting with the guest" kinda way -) that he's not a great interviewer...

I forgot to add before, I think in this case Craig meant that he's not a great interviewer in the journalistic sense. The example he gave is that if a guest wants to keep something from him, it will be easy for the guest to do that. He's not going to ask the probing questions that will reveal secrets and such. But Craig said he thinks he's a good conversationalist, which is the skill you need for the job he has.

Edited by coastsunrise, May 13, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

Finally had a chance to listen to the podcast. I've only listened to WTF on a handful of occasions but I thought that Marc's rapport with Craig was on par with the show's other guests. There wasn't much new ground covered, but I always enjoy listening to Craig being interviewed. I'd really like to know whose names are in the "sin bin" of guests who won't be asked back.

I forgot to add before, I think in this case Craig meant that he's not a great interviewer in the journalistic sense. The example he gave is that if a guest wants to keep something from him, it will be easy for the guest to do that. He's not going to ask the probing questions that will reveal secrets and such. But Craig said he thinks he's a good conversationalist, which is the skill you need for the job he has.

I definitely think there's a difference between being a good conversationalist and a good interviewer. An interview is usually an means to an end - you know, getting the answer to that probing question - and a conversation is simply shooting the breeze with another person. When a celeb appears on a talk show, it's usually to shill their wares. Hence, it's a means to an end. Quite obviously, Craig usually doesn't care about plugging a guest's TV show or movie; he'd much rather converse with a guest. When this works, it's beautiful (see the Steven Tyler interview); when it doesn't, we end up with a very chatty Craig.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Excellent promotion for the shows in Scotland (and fabulous news for this New Yorker!).

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:05 AM

The shows from Scotland started today, and they seem to be following the same format as last year's shows in Paris. Walking around seeing the sights, discussing history, discussing things over dinner, and Secretariat wandering around. I guess if it worked the first time, why fix it?

I liked Craig taking off from his studio in a TARDIS, but who is his companion, in the Dr. Who sense? It seems like it's both Rashida Jones and Mila Kunis. Not that I'm compaining, since I like both of them, as well as Ariel and Mr. Duncan.

Who was dancing on Craig's right during the opening segment? Just some random dancer?

Edited by AVorlon, May 15, 2012 @ 4:34 AM.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

Is there something wrong with me? I was bored with last night's show & hope they pick up the rest of the week.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Who was dancing on Craig's right during the opening segment? Just some random dancer?

I think so. Weren't both dancers used on other opening musical numbers the show has done? Also, I'm not well-versed in music, but what was the song?

I wasn't bored with the show. I always wonder, though, why I like his jokes so much more when there isn't an audience. The jokes seem more clever somehow.

That castle (Glamis Castle?) was awesome. I enjoyed hearing the history of it.

I think those old graveyards are so interesting. I wish Craig had talked about more of the monuments. He said famous Scots were buried there, but we didn't even learn about one. (I wish Mila hadn't been chewing gum.)

Ariel Tweto was adorable as usual.

David Sedaris is always great, but Ariel and Rashida are not the best conversational companions for him.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I loved the musical number opening the show Monday night. Those are a million times better than the interrogation bits Craig has been leaning on to open the show so heavily lately.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I noticed this in the Paris shows too, but whenever Craig tries to steer the conversation towards the ponderous, such as in the graveyard when he & Kunis start talking about God, the afterlife and all that, it comes off as very forced. It gives off the vibe of a couple of college students who have just taken their first philosophy course trying to impress each other. It's like Craig feels compelled to talk about weighty stuff since these are his "special" episodes. I still largely enjoy these shows, but I always roll my eyes whenever he awkwardly segues into one of those discussions.

Edited by alynch, May 16, 2012 @ 2:39 AM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

The musical beginning was great, and I loved seeing them with the TARDIS. Geoff Peterson's voice when they were fishing sounded different somehow. Maybe the sound from the microphone is affected by being outdoors. It was cute when Craig told the story of the fight where his finger got broken, but I am skeptical of his claim that his son was born with a broken finger like that. Surely he's joking?

I didn't like the crazy amputee talk at the dinner, though.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

The Whovian in me was absolutely delighted to see the TARDIS included in the opening musical number. If Craig has another opportunity to do a week of shows on location, I hope he continues to use the TARDIS as his primary means of transportation.

Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols fame was a nice treat too.

Ariel Tweto was adorable as usual.

David Sedaris is always great, but Ariel and Rashida are not the best conversational companions for him.

Oh yes. I agree completely. If they plan for the dinner conversation with Ariel, Rashida, and David to close the show for the duration of the week like they did with Jean Reno and Kirsten Bell during the Paris shows, I expect awkwardness of epic proportions. When you invite David Sedaris to dinner, you have to expect unlikely subjects - like colostomy bags - to discussed.

I didn't like the crazy amputee talk at the dinner, though.

I got hung up on the colostomy bags and completely forgot (repressed?) this topic. Yeah, it was weird.

I noticed this in the Paris shows too, but whenever Craig tries to steer the conversation towards the ponderous, such as in the graveyard when he & Kunis start talking about God, the afterlife and all that, it comes off as very forced and pedestrian. It gives off the vibe of a couple of college students who have just taken their first philosophy course trying to impress each other. It's like Craig feels compelled to talk about weighty stuff since these are his "special" episodes. I still largely enjoy these shows, but I always roll my eyes whenever he awkwardly segues into one of those discussions.

Honestly, I feel like Craig has a genuine interest in the "weighty stuff." Craig is the only late night host who likes to namedrop Kierkegaard, rant on the "deification of youth," and invite a moral philosopher to be a guest on the show. Plus, the topics touched upon in his book Between the Bridge and the River are fairly dark and weighty, so I've never felt like the discussions on the show that have ventured into weightier subjects - either during the course of a regular show or one of his special shows - have ever been forced. The reactions of the guests are varied, and some guests obviously aren't comfortable with discussions of that nature, so I can see how it may look forced if one party isn't reciprocating. All that being said, I have a degree in philosophy so I have a natural inclination to get interested when such topics crop up. It's definitely a case of YMMV.

Edited by dbrits, May 16, 2012 @ 3:11 AM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

Oh, I don't doubt that he's genuinely interested in the subjects. I've been watching him for years, so I'm certain of that. I saw both those videos you posted when they aired. I meant forced more in the show-offy sense, like the guy who has just bought a new car and keeps trying to make it the topic of conversation when chatting with friends. It's registered to me as kind of a "Look at how deep I am" sort of thing. It's just a minor quibble.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:34 AM

I can't decide what's making me laugh more: Marching Tuyen and Secretariat, or Craig's sudden desire to point out that when someone's name is in their TV show's title, it's "a bit of a clue". Just the sheer condescension with which he does it, no matter who the guest is, cracks me up. EVERY TIME.

dbrits

dbrits

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

I meant forced more in the show-offy sense, like the guy who has just bought a new car and keeps trying to make it the topic of conversation when chatting with friends. It's registered to me as kind of a "Look at how deep I am" sort of thing. It's just a minor quibble.

Sorry. I shouldn't be writing anything at 2 AM because I tend to ramble and not make sense. I mean, that's the norm for me but it just gets worse as the hours progress. Anyways, just for the sake of clarification on my part, what I initially meant to say is that I think that these "deep" discussions are a natural byproduct of Craig's interest and curiosity about such topics. In that sense, they are not forced or intended to be seen as showing off; the discussions just happen naturally because Craig likes to talk about that type of stuff. But like you said, minor quibble and all. :)

Edited by dbrits, May 16, 2012 @ 4:00 AM.