The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

• Please log in to reply

9678 replies to this topic

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2004 @ 5:14 AM

Bumping up this thread to point out the warranted lack of publicity for Craiggers' five-year anniversary. Did y'all know it happened on April Fool's Day last week? When Conan crossed the five-year threshold, EW gave him the cover and a full story. Kilby? Just a "10 Stupid Questions" fluff piece at the back of the mag.

Merv Griffin and Aimee Mann's duet was inspired in concept, mediocre in execution. Their voices just didn't mesh well.

ersatzreality

ersatzreality

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2004 @ 8:06 AM

Last night was a treat (monkey). Kim Delaney squeezed into a black tube top and jeans. At least Craig didn't spend the whole five minutes gawking at here spillage.

And the promised Blondie extra tunes...didn't happen. Surprise surprise.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2004 @ 10:17 AM

Yeah, the network's lack of respect for the big anniversary was disappointing.

I record a lot of talk shows, and I've really come to enjoy Craig's opening jokes and skits more than any other late night show. (I hate Conan, though, so he doesn't even exist in my world.) I actually get a little giddy if "What Up?" is going to be on. Jimmy Kimmel's opening remarks are second best, but I really enjoy the interplay between Craig, Gibby, Goldy, and whoever else they throw in there. The actual interviews I can take or leave, depending on the guest, but Five Questions never disappoints.

missy.angela

missy.angela

Posted Apr 17, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

Interesting -- I usually switch it off after the news segment, though it depends. Any old-Hollywood interview is apt to be good, and Marlee Matlin seems to have his number. Otherwise, I used to watch it because he annoyed the hell out of me (which, after spending all day in an office full of people who annoy the hell out of me and have some bearing on my life, was the fit-of-pique version of homeopathic medicine), but in the past couple of months I've actually gotten to like the monologue-skit-news block. Somewhere around the point at which he cut out the skeevy love-you, proud-of-you stuff at the top. Though his studio audience still makes me fear for America's gene pool, and he's still no one I'd want to meet in person (Lizz Winstead, we have not forgotten)...

Edited by missy.angela, Apr 17, 2004 @ 9:36 PM.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm interested:

Morrissey to appear with Craiggers May 24-28

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

(Lizz Winstead, we have not forgotten)...

Eh, I never believed that, anyway.

Craig was so funny with Barry Manilow. It looked like Barry was never quite sure if he was being mocked or not, but yes, Barry. Craig really does love you.

Edited by queasy, May 14, 2004 @ 4:40 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

Eh, I never believed that, anyway.

I did, my friend interned when he was the Sports Anchor in Monterey and she was always warned never to be alone with him because of the way he treated women, though the quality of the treatment you got did depend on how attractive you were.

Edited by biakbiak, May 14, 2004 @ 3:07 PM.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 7:28 PM

Craig was so funny with Barry Manilow.

I was *roaring* at the Craig / Barry duet.

I'm not a fan of Manilow's music, but he gets props for having a good sense of humor. It was a very entertaining segment.

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

Kilborn Leaves 'Late Late'

Well. THANK GOD.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 8:41 AM

Wow...that's a shock.

I wonder who CBS will court as a replacement. Any ideas?

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 9:41 AM

Stephen Colbert would be nice. And, you know, actually funny.

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:11 AM

Static would be an improvment.

Weasel

Weasel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 11:04 AM

I'm sure they'd love to get J Stewart but since he just signed a new deal with Comedy Central I don't think he'll leave. As you may know Stewart lost out to Conan back when Letterman left NBC and then lost out to Kilborn for the CBS job. Right now I think the Daily Show is a better job then the Late Late Show though.

I wonder if while Kilborn was at ESPN this week he talked with them about possible opportunities. I seriously doubt he'd leave a spot like the Late Late Show without something already in the works.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Aw, crap. This is the only late night show that I enjoy. What am I gonna do with my daily dose of Gibby and Goldy?

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

I'm sure they'd love to get J Stewart but since he just signed a new deal with Comedy Central I don't think he'll leave.

Yeah, but who owns Comedy Central?

Viacom.

Who is co-president of Viacom?

Les Moonves.

Who runs CBS?

Les Moonves.

El Kabong

El Kabong

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

Yes, but people actually watch and respect The Daily Show, and Jon's already proven once that he's far superior to this smug asswipe, so why do it again?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

I did, my friend interned when he was the Sports Anchor in Monterey and she was always warned never to be alone with him because of the way he treated women, though the quality of the treatment you got did depend on how attractive you were.

Personally, I kind of like Kilborn. A friend of mine, though--extremely attractive--went out with him twice a couple of years ago. She's not a talk-show watcher so she didn't know who he was. Even after the second date she was still not quite sure, although she said he was really spastic about "this show he does", that's all he talked about forever all evening, and though she didn't dislike him she felt he was more than a bit self-centered. I guess he'll have to move that center off the CBS lot now.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

Right but your friend dated him which in an entirely different situation than the working with him. It's fine if he made a pass at her, not so fine if he harassas his female co-workers.

I wish they would get Bonnie Hunt to do it, even though she won't she would be fantastic.

But my dream host would be Vince Vaughn, he absolutely rocked when he filled in for Letterman.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:41 PM.

drivr8

drivr8

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

'tis a shame. NOT.

So long, Smugly McPompous.

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:47 PM

I'm all for Jon Stewart getting the show. Actually, I'm just hoping that Carson Daly won't get it. He is, without a doubt, the tooliest tool who ever tooled. Also, he can't interview for shit.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 4:13 PM

Right but your friend dated him which in an entirely different situation than the working with him.

I wasn't emphatic enough about how utterly obsessed she said he was about his show, and that was my point, not to excuse any anecdoted workplace idiocy of his. I still kind of like him but he's an ass by most accounts, and I wonder how much it sucks to be him since he doesn't have his precious show anymore.

Katiemom

Katiemom

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 5:28 PM

I wish they would get Bonnie Hunt to do it, even though she won't she would be fantastic

What a great suggestion. For Bonnie I would stay up late. Okay I lie. But I would definately tape and watch the next day.

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 7:13 PM

hat a great suggestion. For Bonnie I would stay up late. Okay I lie. But I would definately tape and watch the next day.

It's about time late-night talk has a female host!
If I'm not mistaken, Letterman and Bonnie Hunt are friends, or at least Letterman's company produced Hunt's The Building and The Bonnie Hunt Show. So, it is a possibility that she's on Worldwide Pants' minds.

Edited by canadiantyler20, Aug 13, 2004 @ 7:14 PM.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

Bonnie Hunt would make a great talk show host. She's always been a great guest on those shows. I can see it. I definitely watch her,um, probably tape her like Katiemom said. I never warmed to Kilborn at all.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:49 PM

Bonnie Hunt would be so perfect. She was hilarious when she filled in for Letterman. I still laugh when I think about this line from when she interviewed Carson Daly. He was talking about going to Paris with his friend Steve and she said, "It's ok, you can use the word lover."

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:53 PM

So, it is a possibility that she's on Worldwide Pants' minds.

They are friends, in fact I have been hoping for years that they would start dating (pre-Regina and the baby) because they have such great chemistry. However, she has had countless offers to host talk shows of all stripes and turned them down because the schedule was too hectic and would require her to be away from her family too much.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:54 PM.

Jedzz

Jedzz

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

I could never forgive Kilborn because the Tom Snyder show was a huge guilty pleasure of mine back in the day. I would love it if they brought him back, though it's clearly fanciful wishing in my part.

Judois

Judois

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 12:43 AM

But my dream host would be Vince Vaughn, he absolutely rocked when he filled in for Letterman.

That would be a dream come true for me. I loved it when he hosted the show.

But Bonnie Hunt would be a great choice as well.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:42 AM

I'm all for Jon Stewart getting the show. Actually, I'm just hoping that Carson Daly won't get it. He is, without a doubt, the tooliest tool who ever tooled. Also, he can't interview for shit.

I'm sorry but the Late Late Show would be a huge step down for Jon Stewart. Think about it: Stewart has the early 11 p.m. slot, with one of the most buzzworthy shows on TV. It doesn't matter that it's on basic cable, all the people in power love him.

He made the cover of Time (or was it Newsweek?). When did Kilby or Coney do that?

Stewart's guests this week included Bill Clinton, Tom Cruise and Maureen Dowd.
Do you see that kind of star power on Kilby or Coney?

Stewart would be a fool to give up the Daily Show gig.

(I'm writing as somebody who doesn't *get* the Daily Show, but nevertheless watched this week because of those three guests.)

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:24 PM

How about this....Conan takes over Kilborn's show.

Don't laugh. Here's the theory:

* Conan wants the 11:30 slot, not the 12:30.

* Dave (who I friggin' adore) will probably retire within the next five years, whereas asshat Leno is going to be around for another 10 to 15 years (unless NBC comes to its collective senses).

* Conan's NBC contract runs out next year.

* CBS signs Conan, who patiently waits for Dave to retire...

Why not? Conan openly adores Dave. Conan has a better chance of getting the 11:30 slot if he's already on board with CBS.

(Of course, I don't want Dave to EVER retire, but you know he will eventually.)

ETA: someone has already posted this theory in another thread...I swear I didn't steal it!

Edited by Skategrrl, Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:29 PM.