Welcome to Tribal Council: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

6107 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

FrogsRule . . . I'm at least 3,000 miles away from Seattle, and if I do go for a bigger convention, I'd like it to be in the summer. Have you tried the band's website? I found an e-mail address when I hit "About."

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:20 PM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

Lantern, one of my friends does the music video production for Kirby Krackle, so he is providing the introduction.

I can see why you didn't make the Seattle Comicon. ;-) I'm much closer, but still too far away to go.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

FrogsRule . . . good luck.

I forgot . . . I posted on my blog a few days ago. It's basically lots of statistics. I can't seem to sit down and write something along the lines of, say, the suckitude of Colton Cumbie.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Hey guys. Been a very long time since I was here last. I wonder if anyone can tell me how I might go about finding an old Board friend of mine - I heard he still posts here. Is there a feature that I could use to search for him? I've had a look but I can't find anything.

It's so nice to post in here again, I remember some great conversations from this very thread.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Welcome back AussieGirl! If you remember your friend's screen name (and he hasn't changed it) you should be able to find him using either the Members or Search links at the top of the page. Lots of things changed around here in the past few weeks with the software upgrade, though, so I could be completely misleading you, and if so I apologize.

You'll notice some new faces in this Meet Market; several of us migrated over here from the Heroes MM when that show was PH'd. It's great to see you, though, since you're the person who created this MM in the first place!

Edited by MarkHB, Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:59 AM

Hi Mark - I did manage to find him and it's great to reconnect, thanks.

Thanks for the welcome back also! It is nice to be back here. It was quite some years ago that I first posted here. But I can't take the credit for this MM or the Jeff Probst thread either - somehow my name ended up as the thread starter but there were others before me.

So, where are you from, Mark? I know you are a Heroes migrant, but are you an avid Survivor fan like me? I swear I am obsessed with the show.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

For any TAR fans in here . . . with The Masters wrapping up today, how big do you think the delay will be? I'm putting the over/under at 21 minutes.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:30 AM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

So, where are you from, Mark? I know you are a Heroes migrant, but are you an avid Survivor fan like me?

I'm from -- and still live in -- Portland, Maine. I've been watching Survivor since S2 (you guessed it... The Australian Outback :) ), and while I am a fan of the show I wouldn't put myself in quite the same category of avidity (is that a word?) as some of the other posters here.

For any TAR fans in here . . . with The Masters wrapping up today, how big do you think the delay will be? I'm putting the over/under at 21 minutes.

I don't know how long it actually was, but when I saw that they still hat 3 holes to play at 6:30 I set the DVR to record an extra hour.

I hope everyone had a happy Easter, Passover, or Sunday, as the case may be!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Fifty-one minutes. That's how long TAR fans had to wait, thanks to the two-hole playoff. When I have time, I gotta see how many shows on CBS followed TAR in the 9-11 slot since it moved to Sundays at 8. It's just so frustrating, even if the episode winds up being a little crappy. Things got so strained tonight, I kept expecting Bopper or Mark to drop an N-bomb . . . "nincompoop." C'mon, you know they probably call each other that all the time.

I saw commercials for the next ep of Hawaii 5-0 with Masi Oka. Nice to see he's still getting work. Also nice to see that he can still play characters who can get knocked out with ease.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

Masi actually has in-the-titles billing for Five-0 this year, as the piano-playing coroner Max Bergman. He had a really nice scene with Greg Grunberg when Grunny guest-starred ("are you sure we've never met" sort of thing).

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Oh, dear heavens, I love baseball season. Home opener is going well... so far... but as Yogi said, "It ain't over until it's over."

And while I'm here, Go Mariners!!

Fifty-one minutes. That's how long TAR fans had to wait, thanks to the two-hole playoff.

I have no idea what you're talking about, Lantern. We had no delay.

Hello, AussieGirl!

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Oh, dear heavens, I love baseball season. Home opener is going well... so far... but as Yogi said, "It ain't over until it's over."

Fortunately for my heart rate, your home opener ceased to go so well for you. I'm glad to say goodbye to Comerica Park until maybe October. I also need to get here this year.

Speaking of that last bit, if you really want to kill some time/immerse yourself, take a look here. They did an excellent job with the site.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

Cool links, Mark!

Fortunately for my heart rate, your home opener ceased to go so well for you.

That's because I wasn't there. ;) You'd think that one of the games I was following last night would have ended better for me. *sigh*

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Good news: I got a job. It's a temp gig in Brooklyn, a few subway stops away from the city. Bad news: I can't go online at work for fun, so I'm trying to get a fix in the neighborhood. No luck so far, but I'll keep plugging away.

keeptrying . . . I'm guessing TAR isn't on CBS where you're located, and that show and The Masters were on different channels.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Good news: I got a job. It's a temp gig in Brooklyn, a few subway stops away from the city. Bad news: I can't go online at work for fun, so I'm trying to get a fix in the neighborhood. No luck so far, but I'll keep plugging away.

Great news on the job front, Lantern! Let's hope something permanent comes out of it. :)

keeptrying . . . I'm guessing TAR isn't on CBS where you're located, and that show and The Masters were on different channels.

Oh, it is, if I want to watch the US feed. Fortunately, I can also watch the Canadian feed, which didn't have golf on beforehand.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Hi keeptrying! :waves

Mark, I've heard Portland Maine is very beautiful - I never got to there though I have been to many other places in the US.

I quite enjoyed the last ep of TAR - they are showing that on TV here but not Survivor. :( I tend to watch both online anyway.

It's been interesting to see so many of the old Lost and Heroes characters in Hawaii 5-0. Did you know that the guy who plays Steve McGarrett is an Aussie? He hides his accent quite well, I think.

Lantern, congratulations on the job!

I'm off to New Zealand on Friday (my 4th trip to the most beautiful place on the planet - shhhh! Don't tell anyone!). I may not be able to get online easily there so if I'm absent for a couple of weeks that's why. Cheers!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Part of working that kinda sucks . . . I wound up going to an event in NYC tonight, I got home a little before 11 p.m., and I know that I have to go to bed so I can get up around 6:30.

The event was at the Paley Center . . . a bunch of geek organizations getting today to host Waris Hussein, who directed the first Doctor Who story, among other things. I'll post pics when I have the time. Had fun, and I won two DVDs -- Snakedance and Frontios -- by naming the first story where Patrick Trougton's Doctor first spoke. The messed-up part was that I gagged at first . . . I knew the Daleks were involved, but I kept thinking "The Evil Of The Daleks" over and over, which I knew was wrong. I wound up remembering it was "The Power of the Daleks," and I won two stories that I've seen at past meetups. Ah, well . . . now I got extras and commentaries, and neither tale has Peter Davison waist-deep in corpses.

BTW . . . have any of the original Doctors speak right after regeneration? The only one I can think of is Colin Baker, and I think that's it.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Congrats on the job, Lantern!

So far as the regenerations go, if you mean "did the new Doctor speak in the preceding incarnation's final episode," let's see:
  • We never see The Doctor's first words as a child :)
  • The Tenth Planet: Not so far as I know, but all of the episode except for the actual regeneration scene is lost.
  • The War Games: We never see Pertwee until his first episode, so no.
  • Planet of the Spiders: No. Tom Baker's first words are in Robot ("But Brigadier, the brontosaurus is large and placid!")
  • Logopolis: No. We see Davison sit up, surrounded by Nyssa and Tegan (not a bad way to wake up at all), but he doesn't speak until Castrovalva.
  • The Caves of Androzani: Yes, as you alluded to.
  • Time and the Rani: Yes, but only because the regeneration happens at the start of the episode (and Colin Baker doesn't actually appear)
  • The 1996 movie: Similar situation to Time and the Rani
And while I didn't have to look up much while putting that list together (mainly whether Tegan was in fact there at the end of Logopolis), I did come across the somewhat sobering fact that Janet Fielding is now 58 years old.

Edited by MarkHB, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

And, of course, "Barcelona."

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:40 AM

Where the dogs have no noses?

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Ahh, we'll always have Barcelona.

Could my sinus headache NOT have waited to attack until Sunday? Seriously! I'm going to the ball game tonight and have a major theatre function tomorrow. I don't have time for this!

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

We had a Dickey's BBQ open up in our local food court today. Pretty darn tasty!

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

::wheels in big, nicely decorated cake:: Happy birthday, Mark!

So, the play I was in last November won the award for Best Ensemble, Comedy! :D

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Thank you very much! Also, congratulations!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

keeptrying . . . I sent an e-mail last night. Just want to make sure you got it. Also, congrats on the award.

Not much else to add here, except for the sinus headaches. No feeling quite like waking up and feeling like you somehow slept on your head wrong.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

You're welcome, and thank YOU, Mark. :)

Lantern, yes, I did get your e-mail and I'll reply tomorrow. I seem to have come home with a nasty cold in addition to the award I'm sharing with the cast of the November show. As far as the sinus headaches, I highly recommend a bag of frozen peas on your forehead for twenty minutes.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Currently in the middle of a Facebook debate about whether men can be feminists. Doesn't it defeat the entire point of feminism if they can't?

Hanged Man

Hanged Man

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Hey everyone, how are things?

dang-it I missed Mark's birthday. Happy Birthday Mark

So, the play I was in last November won the award for Best Ensemble, Comedy! :D

Congratulations, that's fantastic!

We had a Dickey's BBQ open up in our local food court today. Pretty darn tasty!

I have one across the street from my house, I have frequented it uh... many times.

I read an article somewhat recently where the writer discussed companies not grasping the concept of personal technology at the workplace, and how smart phones and tablets and personal hotspots made net restrictions obsolete. However as an IT guy, the net restrictions are critical for the prevention of viruses and spyware in the corporate environment.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

::glomps HM:: Oh, it always makes me so happy to see you in here. :)

Congratulations, that's fantastic!

Thanks. Actually, my February show also won an award. I wasn't nominated, which disappointed the director, but I told her that it didn't matter - I won when she cast me in the play.

Currently in the middle of a Facebook debate about whether men can be feminists. Doesn't it defeat the entire point of feminism if they can't?

Yes, incredibly! I'd have loved to have been in on that conversation... if I wasn't fighting whatever this is I'm fighting.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

dang-it I missed Mark's birthday. Happy Birthday Mark

Thanks very much!

I have one across the street from my house, I have frequented it uh... many times.

I've only made it for opening day so far. They gave free pulled pork sandwiches to the first 100 people in line; my co-worker was extremely pleased that he got # 69.

I read an article somewhat recently where the writer discussed companies not grasping the concept of personal technology at the workplace, and how smart phones and tablets and personal hotspots made net restrictions obsolete. However as an IT guy, the net restrictions are critical for the prevention of viruses and spyware in the corporate environment.

Not to mention that there's a difference in corporate exposure between someone viewing NSFW material on their own 5" screen, as opposed to viewing it on the company's 17" monitor. Either one would probably get a hypothetical moron fired, but the latter could be spun by a zealous attorney into "allowing a hostile work environment" or some such.

Actually, my February show also won an award. I wasn't nominated....

I don't care how magnanimous you are, I call shenanigans!