Welcome to Tribal Council: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

6105 replies to this topic

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:23 PM

I'm astounded that Puppetry of the Penis made it all the way to the USA! I somehow thought that it was just two local boys travelling around here with their show. Seems like there is an Aussie invasion happening in the US.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:17 AM

Aussie Girl, would you be so kind as to link to the interview with the doctor that you read, if it is online?

Between Guy Sebastion, Puppetry of the Penis, John Howard, Julian McMahon and Steve Irwin it is no bloody wonder we are a world wide joke!

ilandrah

ilandrah

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:12 AM

Between Guy Sebastion, Puppetry of the Penis, John Howard, Julian McMahon and Steve Irwin it is no bloody wonder we are a world wide joke!

Aaaaaahhhh raen that would be sooooooo funny if only it weren't so true

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

Ilandrah - I'd trade you all of them if you'll take Michael Jackson. Please?

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:05 PM

it is no bloody wonder we are a world wide joke!

Now I donít think thatís true at all, raen. Though I havenít been to Australia, I have met lots of Australians in my travels, and they always have long legs. I donít think I ever met a short Australian. I donít know what thatís about. Maybe the ones that backpack are all tall? I donít know. But to me, Australia is the country of tall attractive people Ė no joke!

And Happy New Years Day to you all!

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:37 PM

yogi, I am 5 feet tall and my legs are short! (Maybe it's because I'm not into backpacking?)

I shouldn't diss Australia I'll get into trouble with the Aussie posse that post here. Plus I'm still on a mission to convince Glark that we're not all that bad.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:24 AM

Raen, the article I read was in Who magazine dated December 15 2003 (the issue before the last one) on pages 64 - 65 and titled, "Reality Check-Up". For those in the US, I believe Who is the sister mag of People magazine there (but I'm not sure). The only website address I can find is www.who.com which as far as I can tell is an American address, as there is no "au" after the com.

Anyway, if you can't find it, and you are in Australia, let me know and I'll just send it to you.

And raen, you forgot Russell Crowe. The antics he gets up to, there's another one for the world wide joke thing. (Though technically, he's really a Kiwi, so we don't have to claim him as one of our own!)

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:35 PM

I've always loved Australians (like Yogi, met many on my own world-wide adventures). It seems to me like a hip country---sexy accents, outdoorsy, surfy. I don't know of any bad reputation or as a joke. Germany & France are generally the subjects of stupid American jokes, followed closely by England & Poland. However, I will say that we still assume the country is full of kangaroos & that everyone has koala bears for pets. So not so much a bad joke as a silly stereotypes.

(PS: We'll take all of your bad celebrities if you take Micheal Jackson. I'll even let Steve Irwin live with me.)

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

(PS: We'll take all of your bad celebrities if you take Micheal Jackson. I'll even let Steve Irwin live with me.)

Can't we throw in Paris Hilton, skagirl?

I'm glad to hear that my limited information was creating a false picture, raen. Being short myself, I was always afraid if I visited, I would never be able to keep up!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:13 PM

In my opinion, Australia has very little to be ashamed of, proportionally. You have given us Baz Luhrman and all his manic genuis productions, Muriel's Wedding, Priscilla Queen of the Dessert - many hours of offbeat, funny, bizarre films. If I have to occasionally suffer through Paul Hogan & Kylie Minogue as a trade off, so be it.

But I may be skewed in the taste department, because I thought that first Yahoo Serious movie was genius. The fact that I never saw him again after that may have had something to do with it.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Thanks for the info, AussieGirl. I'm in Sydney, I'll try and track it down, but if I can't find it, I'll let you kno. Thank you for the offer.

Look at all the sweet things people have said about Australia. Thanks! There are many redeeming features about the place, I guess it balances out.

iMissEthan, word about Baz, he is certainly a very cool export.

yogi bear Shouldn't you be boo boo if you are of limited staure? ;)

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

skagirl and raen No, we don't want Michael Jackson, not even if you take Steve Irwin. Coincidentally, Steve Irwin is now under investigation for yesterday taking his newborn son into a crocodile enclosure, holding the baby in one arm and feeding the croc with the other, child endangerment ala Michael Jackson and the baby dangling.

And yogi bear we don't want Paris Hilton back here - we just had her here for Christmas and we've had enough already!

iMissEthan I'm amazed that you even know who Yahoo Serious is! Most people here wouldn't even remember him - I think his movie was a hit waaaaayyy back in about 1988 or something.

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

I guess we'll all have to keep our own embarrassments, Aussie Girl. I saw the crocodile segment on the news yesterday, and it was truly chilling. Donít even want to try to figure that one out. There are some heads you just donít want to get into. I agree, the scene did have a Michael Jacksonesque sort of aura around it, even though there were no masks.

I had forgotten that Paris Hilton spends a lot of time in Australia. Isnít one of her many boyfriends there? I guess sheíll have to come back to NYC to grace the Page 6 once again. At least she is amusing and thankfully has not progenerated yet.

yogi bear Shouldn't you be boo boo if you are of limited staure?

Itís definitely Yogi Bear for me Ė because I always have a pic-i-nic basket ready to share filled with karmic goodness and cookies!

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

Paris Hilton and her sister always remind me of greyhounds - the dogs, I mean. Hee.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:05 PM

Steve Irwin is now under investigation for yesterday taking his newborn son into a crocodile enclosure, holding the baby in one arm and feeding the croc with the other,

Yeah, it's all over our news and entertainment programs here, and the late show comedians are having a ball with it. I'm sure Irwin thought he knew what he was doing, and Terri supported him fully, saying the baby loved it, but one slip....and he's got the scars to prove even he slips! I was amazed that he even did it, especially given the MJ-baby on the balcony coverage.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:26 PM

For once the Department of Community Services actually did something to protect a child. (Nothing like a bit of positive publicity for them I guess.) I believe Mr Irwin should have been put on some sort of behaviour bond, at least there will be a file on him now. The baby is about the age of my new niece and it totally freaked the bejeezus out of my sister when she saw it. Her hormones went beserk.

I'm not amazed he did it, that guy is thick as two short planks in my opinion.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 6:49 AM

yogi bear can I have some of your karmic goodness please? And what kind of cookies are in that pic-i-nic basket?

Yeah raen, most people I know here were just starting to actually like Steve Irwin a bit (crikey), after being sus about him for years, when he goes and does this. I reckon the last croc that got him probably gave him a good death roll and a brain injury resulted. Actually, that would explain a few things....

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:56 AM

Yeah, AussieGirl.

You saw the Channel 9 ASS promo?

Edited by raen, Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:01 PM.

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:36 PM

Well, personally I can't wait until Jan 11th or 12th, when we get the official announcement of the ASS cast. Then we can start planning what kind of Survivor goodies can go in Yogi's basket! Not that I mean to intimate in any way that Yogi couldn't plan her own pic-i-nic basket goodies. Far from it.
It's just that I might want to suggest some special items in honor of specific cast members. (Please note that I am merely speculating on any of these cast member suggestions.) For example, what sort of foodstuffs would best do Coby honor? Besides beefcake, that is, of course. ForJenna, 'bratworst' comes to mind, as she is both of those things. Excuse the spelling, but 'bratwurst' wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
And to comment on Australians for a little bit: The only ones I ever met were the cute, tanned athletic types who were bumming about Europe and North America as a lark. I ran across a whole gaggle of them teaching skiing when I lived in Jackson Hole, and they were delightful. Excellent ambassadors, and nothing to be ashamed of.
ETA: Did I mention that I finally saw Pirates of the Caribbean over the weekend? Johnny Depp was absolutely delightful in that movie, but I still fail to graasp the notion of 'hot' being used in the same sentence as 'Johnny Depp.' But that is merely me. Also, thinking back I don't recall any instances of shirtless Orlando, which strikes me as such a wasted opportunity as to almost be a sin.

Edited by Hildy, Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:50 PM.

Autumn1501

Autumn1501

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Hildy You don't have to grasp Johnny Depp's hotness. I'm grasping for both of us!

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:46 PM

The wonderful thing about karmic goodness, Aussie Girl is that it's always yours for the asking! Sending some your way... And I carry a wide selection of cookies. What's your favorite? I'm partial to chocolate chip cookies and brownies. (I count them as cookies. Because I can!)

Since we're speculating - Colby strikes me as a steak kind of a guy, so the beefcake isn't far off. You know how I feel about Rob C. I told him myself at TARcon that he is forever destined to suffer from karmic cookielessness due to his desire to steal Butch and My Man Matthew's cookies while they were out catching his dinner. Butch and My Man Matthew both love fried chicken, so there is always fried chicken for them in my pic-i-nic basket for them. Alicia gets chicken too. But hers is raw.

Jenna can fricken starve. I still hate that woman. No cookies for you![/yogi bear nazi]

Johnny Depp not hot??? Hildy! Just thinking about Captain Jack Sparrow warms me all over. You might say he shivers me timbers big time. Autumn, you'll have to grasp him away from me...

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Yogi Bear, choc chip will do just fine...yum! I'll be expecting a nice package in my email box shortly. And I will send you lots of good karma!

Raen, no I didn't see the Channel 9 ASS promo, I heard about it in one of these threads, so that's good - it means that they will definitely be showing ASS here. I don't care who's in it or not, just so long as they show it. Well... I do care actually....as long as Peachy's in it, I'm happy!

Speaking of karma, has anyone heard of the Brit (who's in Australia right now) who is starting his own cult up? Called the Karma Army or something. Practicising random acts of kindness etc. Apparently he's having trouble getting people to join up, which is a shame.

Namaste!!!

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:01 PM

I just can't stop snickering at ASS.

I saw the promo for ass hee hee. I guess that's no different from 7's spankin' new hot summer or whatever it is with the bikini'd bum.

Heh. They'll definitely be showing ass here, this is never going to get old for me.

Hildy? I'll join in the Depp swooning with Autumn and yogi and leave you to Orlando, as pretty as he is I'm looking forward to seeing him in 5 or 10 years time. The boy needs some more facial hair and a few more wrinkles-- or something.

Edited by raen, Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:04 PM.

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

You know, I think I should confess that I'm also not deeply enamored of Orlando. He's cute and all, but in the Ring Trilogy movies, I was all about dirty, scruffy Viggo. (And after all is said and done, my heart will always belong to Colin Firth.)
It's just that Johnny Depp? looks a little ratlike to me. I'm not saying that to in any way condemn your collective taste, just to explain my own lack thereof. To further confuse the picture, I find the equally ratlike Will Kemp hotness personified. Why this is, I do not know. Insanity must have something to do with it.
And hee, Yogi, You go on the Jenna hatred! I'm right there with you.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:15 AM

Oh I'd trade Depp for Viggo as Aragorn in less than a heartbeat. Not Viggo as himself, mind, he just doesn't do it for me clean shaven. As Aragorn? I'm all over that. (Or I wish I could be!)

I think that's why I always start falling for the Survivors as the show goes on. I like men wirey, with stubble, long hair and a desperate look in their eyes. It nearly breaks my heart each time they come back on reunion show all clean shaven and over fed.

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:02 AM

Absolutely, raen - the survivors are much more attractive hungry and scruffy. Oddly enough, IRL I am not very interested in a scuffy, unshaven, stinky, dirty man (not that I am interested in anyone besides Mr. Yogi, but since we're talkin' and all.) Yet there is something about them on the screen. Is it odd to be attracted to very different fantasy men from the type one would be interested in IRL? Where is Jung when you need him? I don't want Freud - he would blame the whole thing on my father - I say leave my poor Dad out of it!

Rat-like Hildy? I hope you haven't ruined Pirates of the Carribean for me forever. Ewww. Rats are my worst. And yet, I can just see where you get that... Must cleanse my mind of all Johnny Depp rat associations.

Oh, and Alicia gets chicken fingers - not raw chicken. That works better for her. I loved the finger waving. I hope she's back for ASS. Alicia brings some good television.

It's fun to have a contact into all things pop culture in Australia, Aussie Girl! A karma army? I'd join. It sounds like a great idea. And Namaste (and chocolate chips cookies) right back atcha!

For Christmas, I got Mary Tyler Moore season 1 on DVD. I love that show. My favorite line:
Mr Grant: You're spunky
Mary: Well, yes sly smile, looks proud of herself
Mr Grant: I hate spunk!
This was always one of my most favorite shows.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:17 AM

I'll leave it to the Brits to snark at that. (Or hasn't it been called spunk since the 80's?)

IRL I prefer men unshaven and long haired but not dirty and smelly. mr raen is a lawyer and is often clean shaven and suit wearing. It works for him though, because I know on the inside he's long haired and scruffy. ;)

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:15 AM

raen, I believe you have hit upon a very important point. I, too, prefer Aragorn to Viggo himself, and generally like the Survivor beefcake after it's gotten a little scruffy and wiry. I never liked Colby half so well as when he had that beard and had lost some of his puppy fat. It's seldom that I think a guy cleans up nicer on Survivor.

ETA: In the sisterly spirit of sharing, I present this lovely bit of eye candy
that you all may have forgotten. This is my idea of rat-like but hot.
eye candy

Edited by Hildy, Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:30 PM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:15 AM

You know, I think I should confess that I'm also not deeply enamored of Orlando. He's cute and all, but in the Ring Trilogy movies, I was all about dirty, scruffy Viggo. (And after all is said and done, my heart will always belong to Colin Firth.)

I like Viggo clean and scruffy, but I have to sway toward the Aragorn look, both cleaned-up and caked with mud.

Re: Colin Firth, that reminds me that I have to go off on a tangential rant. Was I the only one disappointed that there just wasn't enough nudity in Love Actually? Or maybe there was enough nudity, but IT WAS THE WRONG GUYS! Where was my pantsless Liam Neeson?!?!?! (Yes, Rob Roy is one of my favorite movies - why do you ask?)

Edited by suctionprints, Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:16 AM.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:40 AM

Hi everyone! I recently found out that I can access the forums from work, just not the main pages. (I don't know if that's a good or bad thing)

Me too! Mmm..dirty, scruffy Viggo. Although, after all is said and done, my heart will always belong to Ewan McGregor. sigh