Oy.

AJ1952HereAgain

AJ1952HereAgain

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 2:27 AM

Q: Name a fact about John Lennon.

A: He's still alive.

Oy.

Poor, nervous contestant--rattled enough to confuse John with Elvis!

As for myself, I think that ALL of the hosts were good in their own right--including Louie Anderson.

In fact, Louie reminded me of a cuddly, little teddy bear!

I wanted to pull him right out of the tv and hug him to see if he squeaked like a rubber duckie!

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2006 @ 9:00 AM

O'Hurley's persona doesn't seem at first like a great fit for a show that has traditionally been "folksy", but I'm curious to see how it works.

Well, I wouldn't have initially thought of a sassy Brit as the perfect fit for the "Whitman Sampler" set, but...

Leaper

Leaper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2006 @ 10:35 PM

So I caught a bit of a bonus round today, and found out that, among 100 random people, six will apparently think that there are tigers in Africa (unless they take safaris in Asia now and I didn't know).

shdwrlm

shdwrlm

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 9:06 PM

They're starting to show promos for the upcoming season with O'Hurley (which I believe premieres next week). Anyone else think that the new set is absolutely hideous? From what I've seen, it's overly blue and not very inviting. It also looks like the audience now surrounds the play area. Are they trying to turn this into Millionaire?

I liked O'Hurley fine on To Tell the Truth, but I do wonder how well he'll fit on Family Feud. It'll be interesting to see if, like Karn and Anderson early during their runs, he forgets to reveal the number one answers after Fast Money. That always annoyed the heck out of me, so if he remembers to do so, I think he'll be on to a good start.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 11:39 AM

You can check out some show clips on YouTube. I really like the set...the throwback-yet-modern tribute to the Dawson-era design. But the director doesn't adjust his camera angle to accomodate the family's score being back up on the big board...not on their podium. I kinda like seeing the audience...though if I were IN the audience, those seats would suck! I just wish they'd have updated the theme music. You could hum the original Dawson/Combs theme...the Anderson/Karn theme has no melody...it's just noise.
And O'Hurley kicks Karn's ass! Really funny!

Edited by myke25, Sep 11, 2006 @ 11:35 AM.

sjbrown25

sjbrown25

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 10:17 AM

Oh, Lord, yesterday's episode: "Something to make a bathtub more sexy" or something like that was the question. I believe the contestant's answer was meant to refer to KY jelly (anyway) but I'm not sure how he managed to mess that up and say "401(k) jelly." WTF?!

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:51 AM

I was awed by that gaffe.

The new host flirts with the males quite openly. He also prances from one side of the stage to the other. He is the most fruity fey guy I've seen on a TV show not intended to be going for a gay stereotype theme. I know nothing about him prior to his appearance on FF but he is certainly not what I expected when I heard they were replacing Karn. He seems intended to appeal to a different generation than Karn, as well.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 9:48 PM

So I tend to catch FF right before Jeopardy! and I was loving Richard Karn as the host because he doesn't seem like a typical game show host, he's too human for it and that's what I enjoyed about him. He seemed like a neighbor or something. So I miss his hosting. John O'Hurley is so fake and that's a good quality for a game show host but I won't be going out of my way to watch the show now.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

Three times I've seen J'OH's hands quivering when he holds the cards during final game. The set is so horrible and why is it that the audience is all around the set? Damn, I miss Richard Karn.

Goldwood

Goldwood

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 2:20 PM

I really don't like this new set. We can't see how many points each team has. Thats the part I miss most.

As for John O'Hurley...I like Richard Karn much better. JOH's voice sounds so very plastic. Plus, JOH is awfully weird. Whats up with that sprinting over to the other team after 3 strikes? Oy.

I think JOH moves too fast as far as the "show me" goes. Somebody gives a ridiculous answer...theres no pause like he realizes its a pretty dumb answer. He just says right away..."show me such and such". I don't like that very much. And he reads the damn question over and over again. Does he love his voice that much or what? Honestly, the contestants don't have that bad of a memory.

And what in the hell is up with the audience around the set? I hate that.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 1:36 PM

I also don't like the new set for all the reasons mentioned. Plus, I think it looks Vegas-y. And I miss Karn, as well. He was a better question reader during fast money, that's for sure. I've heard O'Hurley mess up the fast money questions at least three times so far. And then he speed reads through them once he gets back on track to pick up lost time.

I enjoyed Karn a lot and also won't be going out of my way to watch the show anymore.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:40 PM

Hey, gang. Let's remember that EVERY host goes through a rough patch the first few tapings. Hell, even Allen Ludden was a bit rocky the first few episodes of Password Plus.
JOH will do just fine...IMO he's already better than Karn...and a snappier dresser! I just wish the director would watch some of the old Dawson shows on GSN so he knows how to show the score after each round.

sjbrown25

sjbrown25

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

Yeah, I'm willing to cut O'Hurley a little slack because right off, we've got the "Getting used to simply being different from the last" thing to get past. Of course it'll feel a little off with a new guy right away. But I can't get over the set redesign. Just ... huh? What's with the circular audience, and the people all behind the board and stuff? It's weird, and distracting. First Jeopardy's new podiums, now this--what are they doing?!

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 8:27 PM

Today I saw people in the audience holding up signs like "Number 1 Answer". I really don't know if I can watch anymore after that.

chilis

chilis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 11:50 AM

I don't mind John O'Hurley too much, but his "flinching" at the buzzer going off when an answer is repeated during fast money severely bugs. it's so obviously overacted that it is painful. The stupid signs in the audience are ridiculous too.

lynnefive

lynnefive

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

Nothing to see here...apparently my scan of previous posts wasn't careful enough...

Edited by lynnefive, Oct 18, 2006 @ 12:31 PM.

sjbrown25

sjbrown25

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 12:02 PM

Yeah, I brought that up about 10 posts ago, in September.

Edited by sjbrown25, Oct 18, 2006 @ 12:04 PM.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

I think the dumbest answer was on a recent episode. The question was "Name something about Godzilla" and an idiot responded, "He's a big gorilla?" That's King Kong, you fucking moron!

sjbrown25

sjbrown25

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 2:50 PM

The question was "Name something about Godzilla" and an idiot responded, "He's a big gorilla?"

Oh my God, that was beyond stupid! Yeah, Godzilla, King Kong, big movie monster icons. But how on earth could you confuse them????? God, that woman was not particularly intelligent, was she?

Why their teammates keep chanting "Good answer! Good answer!" even when it's a damn stupid answer is another mystery.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 11:23 PM

I dunno. If it were my family member, I'd smack 'em upside the head.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

On a trip to Japan in the 80s, I caught their version of Family Feud. It was delightfully cruel because in their fast money round, they're amassing points for trips to Hawaii, not cash. The twist is that for every 40 points amassed, they win one ticket. So if they only score 90 points, only two get to go. Or better yet, they score between 160 and 199 and someone gets shafted.

Also, I wish I could find video of one game during the Ray Combs era. "Name a country in South America." The geographic ignorance was shocking. I remember Fiji was one answer given, but there were others that were just as bad.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

Replacing Richard Karn is sad. I like him. He's such a cheery-faced, easy smiling, nice guy. Sorry it didn't work out for him on FF and I hope for better things for him.

And now John O'Hurley is the host? He's so formal in style and speech that he sort of takes the fun out of playing the game. I want a relaxed, inviting atmosphere that makes me want to sit down and play the game. JOH is dressed so impecably that I almost feel under-dressed sitting in my living room. Somehow JOH makes me feel like it's not my turn and I can't answer until I'm called on! Geez and crap!

I liked Ray Combs quite a bit during his era, too. He was funny, a quick thinker, had a cheery handsome face and spoke well. He tends to be forgotten I think because he never went on to evolving with us in life. Since he killed himself, I always remember him stuck in the 90's. (was in '96, he was 40)

Louie Anderson as host... hmmm, let's see... depressing, sloppy, has a guilty look on his face, nasal voice with a bit of a monotone, and makes people uncomfortable! What about that says "ideal game show host material"? Is hell recruiting game show hosts for the bonus round?... or is it all one big "The Price Is Right" horror? (oh, darn, the Rice-A-Roni is $80,000!) There'd be a penalty round where the contestants would play the Wheel of Torture!

Richard Dawson was the first one to figure out how to make FF work and gets all the credit for that. I cringed at the "let's kiss every female under 105" shtick. I agree with the other poster that he did have the mystique of being the Englishman with the nice voice. I've seen some of his old shows and HE translates okay to current day but not the shows answers... what a fiasco it is now to figure out the popular answers back in the 70's... one answer was Dippity-Do. Oh pleeeeeezzzeeee.

Goldwood

Goldwood

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

Family Feud has gone down the toilet. Isn't the correct TV term jumped the shark? Cause if it is, its definitely done that.

JOH is just so...not Richard Karn. He just seems so much like a referee and not a host.

On top of that, his antics annoy the crap out of me. Kissing the captains of the team on the hand if they're female. Running across the stage after 3 strikes. And when he does get to the other side, goes to the 5th position and is all "OK! What do we have!" while zipping back up to the 1st position. He's more into the game than the contestants. And thats uncomfortable to watch.

And if they were going to get a new host, did they really have to totally go nuts on the set as well? I despise the new set. Moving the point totals so they aren't on the teams platforms was a dumb idea. And the audience around basically the entire thing is really weird.

Congrats Family Feud, for being the first game show that has lost my loyal viewership.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

I think the dumbest answer was on a recent episode. The question was "Name something about Godzilla" and an idiot responded, "He's a big gorilla?" That's King Kong, you fucking moron!

Oh my God, that was beyond stupid! Yeah, Godzilla, King Kong, big movie monster icons. But how on earth could you confuse them????? God, that woman was not particularly intelligent, was she?

Why their teammates keep chanting "Good answer! Good answer!" even when it's a damn stupid answer is another mystery.

Considering the origin of Godzilla's name, she may be closer than she thought.

lighthouser41

lighthouser41

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 8:40 PM

I was briefly watching the Feud today when the poll was "Besides America, name a country that begins with an A." Now, America is not a country. The United States of America is but, it doesn't start with an A. Maybe, I am just being picky. Anyway, the team to steal the points, argued between Afghanistan and Amsterdam. Of course they picked Amsterdam and lost. A person with me asked me if Alaska was a country. Its really sad how little knowledge people have about geography.

little peach

little peach

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 9:10 AM

My favorite dumb question and answer- the two people up at the front, one was a 10 year old boy, the other is an older man. The question was, "Name a part of the body that people don't seem to know what it's function is." And you would think, appendix, tonsils, etc. Well the poor kids buzzes in first, and blurts out, "Testicles!" Every one starts laughing, including me. Obviously he gets a strike. So the older guy gets a chance to "steal control", and he answers "Kidneys!" What??? Another strike, and they moved on to a new, not so challenging question, and I laughed and laughed, wondering if everyone was so dumb.

Iadder man

Iadder man

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2007 @ 5:19 PM

I hope the producers coach all of the dumb families to clap each other's hands by doing the over-the-head-double-handed-high-five. Because otherwise they are getting the most demented families.

nutgoodie

nutgoodie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

My kids have discovered this show on Game Show Network. I have to give my love to Richard Dawson as he was the best of the best. He seemed to really like game shows and seemed to have a good time. I liked Ray Combs; I think he got stuck in a role of being too responsible to rejuvinate the show. What the heck was the bullseye? That needed to go. I am partial to Louie Anderson as I am from Minnesota as is he; he just wasn't the best choice for the role. But I do believe he liked being there. Richard Karn was my second favorite host: He seems like just a nice guy in real life and that really came through on the show. Too bad he got dumped for Jon O. Cant. Stand. Him. His mugging has got to go.

Call me old fashioned, but damn I miss the Whitman Sampler from the 70's and the families jumping out of the picture.

And I love the clip from youtube where Ray Combs is asking everyone "What is something you wear to bed?" and the elderly lady says "Condom!"

Edited by nutgoodie, Oct 20, 2007 @ 11:48 AM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

I have occasionally caught some of the Richard Karn episodes on GSN (it's hard to avoid this show on GSN, it seems like it's always on) and I really dislike him as a host. He seems like a fairly nice and amiable guy, but he is always trying to make jokes during the show that fall terribly flat.