Family Feud

• Please log in to reply

321 replies to this topic

lutzlady05

lutzlady05

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

I saw the celebrity special with Honey Boo Boo and the Cake Boss. All of these millionaires are as dumb as rocks and dress like they're on the way to Walmart.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I think Steve Harvey mocks the contestants a little too much. He rolls his eyes and otherwise acts like their answers are stupid. Sometimes maybe they are, but I still think he does it a little too often. I also wish the questions weren't sooooo often tailored to be salacious or gender-based. It wasn't always like that, but now the show is pretty raunchy all the time.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

I agree, possibilities. His making fun of contestants is sometimes done in a kind way that they themselves get into and make fun of themselves. But sometimes it isn't so kind and it's a bit uncomfortable. The raunchy stuff is all the time, as you said, and I wish it weren't.

It's still a great show and he's a great host, but the things you've mentioned are two of my major complaints too.

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 24, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

I just watched a rerun with the question being, "What do people do in cars with tinted windows?"
The contestant said, "Drive naked".
The judges gave her the answer but on the board it read "Drive...Duh".
I think that answer was people saying "Drive", which is a dull "duh" answer.
Driving naked is not the same as driving, in my opinion.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

It just occurred to me, watching the thousandth "we're gonna play" in a row: the "pass" would be a better strategic option if, when you passed the question, you wouldn't need to "steal" if the other family didn't clear the board, it would just go back to you. The family getting the pass would have more pressure on them, which bumps up the excitement - as it is, odds are the family that's playing will get the points, so there's really never a good reason to "pass".

I know I saw it more often in the Dawson years, but I cannot recall seeing people even appear to consider it in the Harvey era, not even when the question was so tough both people at the buzzer struck out.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

I've seen teams pass during Steve Harvey's Feud.  It doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

ZaldamoWilder

ZaldamoWilder

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:11 PM

I've seen teams pass during Steve Harvey's Feud.  It doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

This annoys the hell out of me.  I always think how likely is it that your family is gonna get all 8 of the answers up there?  Not so likely right so pass it, the other family isn't gonna come up with all 8 answers either, ya'll just have to put 5 heads together to think of a really good one.  But then I think of the counter-strategy of the opposing family having just the right answer plus the degree of predictability of survey answers.....so the family that refuses to pass is more confident in their ability to come up with it than they are in the other family's ability to have just the right answer.  Or not, they may not see it as that damn serious. lol! 

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 7:27 PM

It is rare these days to see a family pass. But it's a good option when there's a tough question that you have a hard time coming up with any answers to. It's easy to get three Xs (wrong answers) for a question like that, but the family that passed can huddle and learn from the Xs what kind of answer to give that may have a chance of being up there.

I do find it amusing though, that SO many people forget to tell Steve (or any past host) that their family is gonna play, and they just run back to their family. Lately, I've seen him just assume the answer is "play" when they do that.

For that reason, it might even make sense for the default action to be to play, without Steve having to ask; unless a family specifically says "we'll pass."

PunkinMA

PunkinMA

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2014 @ 5:35 PM

What's confusing to me is why people make the motion of waving their hands in towards their body mean they want to play instead of pass? Almost every single person does it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by PunkinMA, Jan 19, 2014 @ 5:55 PM.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:23 PM

What's confusing to me is why people make the motion of waving their hands in towards their body mean they want to play instead of pass? Almost every single person does it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I understand it as them saying, "Bring the game over to us," as opposed to when they make a shooing/chasing motion to pass, meaning, "Take the game away from us right now."

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

If I were on the show I would never pass.   If you play, you're family may or may not clear the board, but  If you pass, your family has to have the answer to steal.    Much harder.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 3:23 PM

De-lurking to say that I like Steve Harvey as a host, but sometimes I can really tell which team he wants to win.  His enthusiasm for some teams is so over the top, it's hard for me to watch.  Other times, teams win and he's so subdued, it's like he's mad at the team for daring to win.  Also, I've noticed that he doesn't always reassure the team that's behind.

I noticed something similar with Pat Sajak a few years back (except with Pat, I can tell when he's mad that one of the 3 contestants is winning too much), so maybe it's just me.

PunkinMA

PunkinMA

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:25 PM

I think it's really irritating that Steve Harvey asks everyone what they do for a living. It's really none of his business. Richard Karn and John O'Hurley never asked that question. My favorite answer when Steve asked that nosy question was someone told him they were in the business industry. 

Another irritating thing about the show is that hardly anyone can seem to just give an answer. Most people for some reason feel the need to say, "I'm gonna have to say..." instead of just giving their answer. This runs rampant on the show.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 11:07 PM

Sounds like they are trying to buy more time and possibly come up with a suitable answer when they answer like that rather than just blurt out their response.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

I think it's really irritating that Steve Harvey asks everyone what they do for a living.

I think a lot of that banter, including asking what the contestants do for a living, is preplanned and perhaps a little scripted.  I'm sure when these people are cast, they are made aware that Steve will ask them questions and riff a little bit.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:51 AM

I liked it when the teams would say what relation they were to each other. Now they don't always ask that, and instead Steve asks them individually abut what they do. But half the time I have no idea if these people are siblings, cousins, or what. I don't know why I want to know, but I just think it's interesting to know.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 2:34 PM

I also like to know the relationship between the people in the "family." Maybe I just want to make sure they are somehow related and not just friends, co-workers, or random strangers.  I suppose it also adds to the show if two of them are married and one give some answer that is a slam on their spouse (same with parent-child relationships_. 

I wonder why they stopped doing it - relationships that might offend some (narrowminded, IMO) people, perhaps? - people who would get offended by gay couples, or unmarried people living together, interracial couples, etc

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

I don't like excessive backstories and sob stories about TV show contestants, the way many reality TV shows present them for emotional effect, but the limited questions on Family Feud work for me, whether it's the current format or back when they used to ask how everyone was related.

(I disliked the way everyone used to feel compelled to preface every introduction with an adjective, though. "My beautiful sister, ... my talented brother-in-law ..." etc.}

I am also frequently curious about how the contestants are related, and I often wish they'd explain. Sometimes they do explain in the course of the banter.

But the "What do you do?" question doesn't bother me. It's often a source of jokes, and is otherwise short and sweet.

My favorite answer when Steve asked that nosy question was someone told him they were in the business industry

That's very funny. I vaguely remember seeing that.

Then there are the occasional folks who come up with a very convoluted and long yet still very vague answer. And that can be funny too, especially when Steve makes it into an opportunity to tease, but without making them feel like failures or something. At least that's how his ribbing on that subject strikes me: he seems generally supportive, no matter what they do.

PunkinMA

PunkinMA

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:04 AM

How much coaching do you think the contestants receive to remain positive even when things go bad on the show?  They must receive a lot or else why would all these morons remain clapping and smiling after they just got a big fat X?  It also happens at the end of the game when they badly lose fast money - they all get together and jump around and clap and act happy. This is not normal behavior after just losing out on an opportunity to win $20K. No one ever acts pissed.

I just hate how much Steve Harvey banters with the contestants in general. He goes way overboard with it. Just play the damn game already.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

ow much coaching do you think the contestants receive to remain positive even when things go bad on the show?  They must receive a lot or else why would all these morons remain clapping and smiling after they just got a big fat X?

I think they tell them to cheer no matter what, because they always say "Good Answer!" even when someone says something stupid.  However, my favorite contestant ever is the one who said "That's not up there!" after his brother gave a really, really dumb answer.  

carrotstick3

carrotstick3

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 11:29 AM

LOL yes I Have noticed that before about the good answer part.  Some of the answers are not very bright at all and when others say good answer I just want to scream NOT REALLY!

LensOfHistory

LensOfHistory

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

In general, I really enjoy Steve hosting.  I just wish he would cut it out with fixing the tie-dimple.  Not everyone likes the dimple!  And sometimes the tie un-dimples itself!  

I also wonder at how they pick the people to do the Fast Money.  Oftentimes there are some very skilled players during the main game, yet most of the time the family members who gave the worst answers appear when 20k is on the line.  Are that many families acting contrary to their interests in order to set up a redemption arc?