Family Feud

• Please log in to reply

321 replies to this topic

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 8:07 AM

The loss of the gameshow legends continue. I wouldn't kid, that's for sure, but still, I would've been glad if it had been a joke at this point.

Gene Wood was the main voice for Family Feud, prior to the Louie and Richard Karn versions. He was on Family Feud what Johnny Olson was via The Price is Right.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 6:34 PM

I've gotten hooked on FF all over again. I grew up watching Richard Dawson, so he was and always shall be the king of FF--smarm, skeeve, and all. But I admit, I love Richard Karn on FF, too; and I kinda gotta crush on the big ol' guy. He brings a freshness to the game, but the contestants seem dumber these days. Don't the families cull their own? And I feel for the grandmas who go on. They only get three seconds and then BZZZZ!

Ray Combs didn't do much for me. I had grown up and stopped watching pretty much by then. And the less said about Louie Anderson the better!

For the person who asked earlier, the current prize is $20,000.

Sometimes the contestants are so dumb, I just tune in for the Fast Money Round. It's my favorite part anyway.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 6:14 PM

Fast money is my favorite part as well. The cable company here is showing some stupid show in place of FF all week.
The other day was a catergory when you were to say words instead of cussing.
Some people guessed cuss words and a bleeping sound was heard. Some goobers actually guessed f___. I know because Richard said fudge instead. I don't know what they were thinking- it is words instead of cussing, not actual cussing.

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:24 PM

I do think that both the change of the gameplay, plus Richard Karn's improvement as host are the two main reasons Family Feud has survived and avoided cancellation (unlike Hollywood Squares and Pyramid). I actually thought that the end of Louie Anderson's run would have been it for FF.

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

two main reasons Family Feud has survived and avoided cancellation

All the Karn version shows on my local channel are reruns from 2002. Are new episodes of this show still being done?

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

yup, there was most definitely Richard Karn Episodes from the 2003-4 season, when they reverted back to the "First to 300" scoring system.

Edited by sirhcmeister, Jun 21, 2004 @ 10:25 AM.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

This week is Firefighters Week. I didn't catch the date on the show yesterday, but I'm loving FDNY vs. Chicago. Is this a rerun or is it new?

My rank of FF hosts:
1. Richard Dawson (for sentimental reasons only)
2. Richard Karn (really should be first)
3. Ray Combs
4. Louie "Why?" Anderson

Sentinal96825

Sentinal96825

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

They just had an episode with the "For Love or Money" Bachelors and Bacherlorettes. All I can say is, Erin is definitely the hottest one.

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 9:30 AM

I thought it was hilarious "Strategically" placing Erin as the team captain, and Paige all the way down the end. Tee hee.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 7:52 PM

I thought it was hilarious "Strategically" placing Erin as the team captain, and Paige all the way down the end. Tee hee.

Same here; heh! It's a shame the Lollipop Game never made it past the Dawson version (considering it's Richard's thing); that actually gave the anchor person reason to be on the show.

Edited by SeaBreeze341, Jul 8, 2004 @ 7:53 PM.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 10:24 AM

I'm not so big on Richard Dawson. Is he supposed to be charming?

Suave, I'd say.

Richard Dawson was the man. He set the bar, and every host who's followed knows it. Sometimes they've tried to imitate his style, and it just comes off as awkward and unoriginal. For instance, it seemed okay for Dawson to put his arm around the shoulders of the contestants during the fast money round, but when Richard Karn does it, it just looks silly.

Another thing that bugs me is the excruciating amount of time Richard Karn spends commenting on nearly every response given. Ray was guilty of this too. I know Richard Dawson did it, but generally he was brief and funny. To me, Ray and RK interrupt the momentum of the game having so much to say about every. single. response. And often not being all that funny, either. And in Karn's case, the frequent pauses (in his speech pattern) compound my misery. They both just appear to be trying too hard.

One final grump about RK. During the fast money round (which is the only part I care about) he often (sometimes more than once per show) forgets to tell us what the number one answer was. I like to play along during fast money, and feel totally cheated when he forgets to tell me what was number one. Richard Dawson rarely, if ever, forgot. [/grump]

Despite what I've said about Richard Karn, I do think he's the second best host, but a distant second to Dawson.

ETA: Gosh, that was a really negative rant, but it sure was cathartic.

Edited by jerry, Aug 1, 2004 @ 10:30 AM.

iknoalot7

iknoalot7

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

What really bugs me about the people on this show is that sometimes they dont truly think of what the general public would say but they would rather think of just stupid quick things so that it wont be their turn anymore. True, sometimes the true poll standings dont make sense but if they would give themselves two more seconds they'd prolly get it rite. like one day it was wat object goes up and down? it was the last one for the steal the deciding denominator and the guy says "escalator". now most people would think that escalators go in a slanted manner. but hey it must be just the cameras and the flirty weird and obnoxious host getting on these people's nerves.

susiesunshine

susiesunshine

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Wow. I was just lurking around in here and read the last page of posts. Am I the only one who likes Ray Combs the best out of all the hosts?? I thought he was pretty funny. Sure he was annoying at times, like when he would put on ladies' shoes and do the rest of the show in them, but overall I thought he did a great job. He seemed genuine and always gave the number one answers during Fast Money.

I liked Richard Dawson but he slurred his speech too much and just became kinda squirky as he aged and still wanted to kiss on all the ladies. Perv. Richard Karn is just painful to watch for the reasons mentioned before: drags out the time until an answer is revealed and tries to hard.

I won't even bother mentioning Louie Anderson. He was that bad.....

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 6:47 PM

De-lurking, too, to add my two cents. When talking about Richard Dawson as host, you have to remember the era. Because of all the cultural influences the English had on America in the 60's, it was still cool to be English in the mid 70's, in an Austin Powers sort of way. Dawson really played that up, both on Match Game and FF. As that influence ended, Dawson's popularity did too, and he began to butt heads with TPTB on FF, and that eventually led to his replacement. Except for Hogan's Heroes, he was never very successful at anything other than game shows, so when that ended, he really didn't have anything else to fall back on. He married a former FF contestant, had another child very late in life, and kind of dropped out of sight until 1994 (I think) when he came back to FF as host. Again, he tried to play the cool Englishman, but it didn't work. He was gone from the show in a year.

vailfiregirl

vailfiregirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

I just found out that my family was on FF in the late 70s (how they kept this from me, I'll never know!). But anyway, does anyone know where I might could find old clips or pictures online? This is something I would love to see.

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 1:34 PM

Try The GameShow Network's website. There are forums under "Buzz". Someone there might be able to help. They might even be able to tell you when the show will air on the network.

Edited by zookeeny, Sep 2, 2004 @ 1:34 PM.

vailfiregirl

vailfiregirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 8:01 AM

Thanks, zookeeny! I'll have to ask someone what last name they used and a firmer date and go look!

Machiabelly

Machiabelly

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 2:31 PM

Does anyone know if there is a place where you can find some of the surveys that have been done on the show?
I am hosting a FF night for work, and am lazy. :-)

JJJJShabado

JJJJShabado

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

If you don't mind 15 year old survey from Nintendo's Family Feud...
http://db.gamefaqs.c...family_feud.txt

Also, Louis Anderson was terrible. The only time I ever found him funny was when Peter asked if he was Big Fat Paulie on Family Guy and then kicked him in the groin.

Finglonger

Finglonger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 9:13 PM

Does anyone know if there is a place where you can find some of the surveys that have been done on the show?
I am hosting a FF night for work, and am lazy. :-)

There's a fairly recent (Al Borland era) home edition that you can probably track down on the cheap. I'm fairly sure we got it for like ten bucks out of a bin at Media Play when we had a Feud party last year. The trick was transcribing the questions from the DVD, which took forever.

Also, I was taken aback when no one could provide a proper answer to "we surveyed a hundred people on the following: What would Brian Boitano do if he were here right now?"

Suburbia

Suburbia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 2:13 AM

Wow, did someone really ask that!? Gah.

My favorite FF moment.

Q: (during Fast Money) Name a fruit that's yellow.
A: .. Orange!

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 1:46 PM

From the episode I saw yesterday --

Q: Name a real or fictional animal with big ears.

A: Kermit the Frog

When were those Richard Karn shows filmed? Are they current? Are they still filming new epis?

fyrecrackle

fyrecrackle

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

Doesn't suprise me. Once the question was bird that flies and they answered turkey. I love how even though they say the stupidest answers the families cheer on: "good answer, good answer"/

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

When were those Richard Karn shows filmed? Are they current? Are they still filming new epis?

Yes, they are... and apparently, next year, John O'Hurley is taking over the show.

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:20 PM

Yes, they are... and apparently, next year, John O'Hurley is taking over the show.

Thanks, amnewsboy. I like John O'Hurley OK, but I kind of wonder what Richard Karn will do after this. Sigh . . .

Redrum

Redrum

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:44 PM

All Suburbia and I did in the morning when I went to her house the first time was watch FF. I hadn't seen it in years. Seems that as the years have gone on, they've get bigger and bigger idiots for contestants. Poor Richard Karn, I like him, especially compared to Louie Anderson.

Edited by Redrum, Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:44 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 7:01 AM

They show it four times a day here, and I can't tell which, if any, are current, or how old the reruns are. It's a little spooky, actually.

Benedictine

Benedictine

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 8:43 AM

When the Game Show Network shows the re-runs of the 1970's Richard Dawson version of FF, I cannot help but be beyond amused with the contestants because of their really loud 70's polyester get-ups and wild feathered/permed hair. My God, did we really look that bad back then???

Edited by Benedictine, May 24, 2006 @ 8:44 AM.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

Karn was affable, but I didn't think he was a great host. His catchphrases about "first blood" and doubling the points were very repetitive and not that exciting, and I usually wasn't a big fan of his little puns whenever they went to a commercial break; some of them were good, but most weren't. By far the biggest problem, though, was that it seemed like every time someone passed in the fast money round, he would screw up when he had to go back to the question they skipped, which, in such a fast-paced round, ruins the entire thing -- and it really seemed like it happened every time! Like I said, he seemed nice, but the host of a game show has to be able to keep track of what's going on and speak clearly. I don't expect Trebek-esque precision (or Trebek-esque stuck-up personality!), but, getting it right most of the time is a job requirement.

O'Hurley's persona doesn't seem at first like a great fit for a show that has traditionally been "folksy", but I'm curious to see how it works.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

My God, did we really look that bad back then???

Yes, Benedictine. Yes, we did.