Music Of The O.C.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1720 replies to this topic

Panders

Panders

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

This is what I hear about Rooney songs on wednesday's ep: Sorry, Sorry, Blueside, I'm Shakin, That Girl Has Love and Pop Star. Additionally there will be two on-air performances by the band

jesseb

jesseb

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

Checked out the AllMusic entry for Rooney and I noticed this little bit:

[Robert] Carmine did the college thing for awhile in New York City, but it wasn't exactly his calling. Instead, he and his best friends formed a band and made their live debut in early 2002 while opening for his older brother's band, Phantom Planet. Carmine is the younger sibling of drummer/actor Jason Schwartzman.

Well, that explains their choice gig on the show.

Kinda OT: I highly recommend AllMusic when you're searching for info on a band or album. Their reviewers aren't necessarily CMJ, but they seem to be more intelligent than most, especially since some entries seem to be limited to a paragraph or so, depending on popularity or amount of albums produced.

ETA: AllMusic doesn't allow for direct linking to entries, and added a first name for "Carmine".

Edited by jesseb, Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:41 AM.

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:17 PM

"I'm Shakin'" has been stuck in my head all weekend. And it's only the part from the commercial so I just randomly blurt out "Sh-Sh-Shakin'" in public places. Another CD to buy.

Duct Tape Fairy

Duct Tape Fairy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

I know feeling roybetter. You can get the video off the official site if you don't want to spring for the cd just yet.

maddymonkey

maddymonkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

I've always felt like Rooney's "If It Were Up to Me" fit with Seth's pre-love triangle Summer devotion.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

This is what I hear about Rooney songs on wednesday's ep: Sorry, Sorry, Blueside, I'm Shakin, That Girl Has Love and Pop Star. Additionally there will be two on-air performances by the band

For the love of God, why so much Josh Schwartz? Ugh. Do we really need to be hit over the head with so much Rooney? No, we don't. One performance will suffice.

MaudGonne13

MaudGonne13

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:44 PM

Well, that explains their choice gig on the show.

It also explains that dude's nose.

Samurai Grog

Samurai Grog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

I've seen the episode three times now, and I can honestly say the my impression of Rooney has not wavered one bit: Wow, they suck. Ten pounds of suck in a five pound bag. If you're going to do a musical infomercial episode, the least you could do is book a decent band. Ugh.

This is the first time that I've come away from an episode thoroughly disappointed in the musical choices made.

OrangeGeek

OrangeGeek

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:17 AM

There a song that played in an earlier ep that's now being played in the Tad Hamilton (shut it!) trailer. Does anyone know the name of the song? Somethin' with about "we go down to California"...it was back when they were reeeeally pushing the CA related music.

The Man Who Loves Women

The Man Who Loves Women

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:20 AM

"Tonight's episode featured music from Rooney"

Really? No shit. Man, I'll have to pay closer attention when I watch the episode again.

EyelinerCrush

EyelinerCrush

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:59 AM

I've always felt like Rooney's "If It Were Up to Me" fit with Seth's pre-love triangle Summer devotion.

Oh man, word.

If it were up to me / She would know that / Our love (our love) / Is the best love???

And as a Seth-Summer shipper, in my own happy fantasy world, Summer sits in her bedroom with Rooney's CD listening to this song while pretending that Seth is actually Robert Carmine. Or Robert Carmine is Seth. Or yeah...

dzdzsty

dzdzsty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:15 AM

Rooney?

Ew.

ctoan

ctoan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:00 AM

There a song that played in an earlier ep that's now being played in the Tad Hamilton (shut it!) trailer. Does anyone know the name of the song? Somethin' with about "we go down to California"...

I think you mean "More Bounce in California" by Soul Kid #1 (the line is "we got more bounce in California"). They played it in The Girlfriend when Seth & Ryan were biking/boarding to the Mexican restaurant. The other song played in that trailer is "Why Can't I" by Liz Phair, which was played in The Debut when Summer & Marissa are trying on dresses for cotillion.

telecomgirl

telecomgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

Did they say the name of Luke's song?

And, too much Rooney.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

In agreement - Rooney sucked and all the "concert scenes" were embarrassing to watch - both the crowd and the band. OT, I want to personally thank everyone on this thread for all music recs that WEREN'T on The OC. I've discovered a lot of new music because of this thread. One of my favorites being "Cathedrals" by Jump, Little Children. Beautiful song.

tobecontinued

tobecontinued

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

Beginning of the episode had Beulah's "Popular Mechanics for Lovers," a really nice song that didn't quite fit the scene.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

So awesome in the midst of all the crappy Rooney to hear them play Ash. The song was on when they were watching the band walk by into the club, and I couldn't figure out what it was at first. It was driving me nuts then I had a eureka! moment and realized it was "Burn Baby Burn". Yay for Ash love! There's no reason that they shouldn't have a higher profile here in the States.

Rychard

Rychard

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

Can't help with the lyrics, but I'm pretty sure it's the song that plays at the end of the Homecoming, as Ryan and Marissa are driving back from Chino and then when they're eating Chinese food in Seth's room. It's the one that ends "with my brother and my sister standing by."

I'm afraid that maybe this song-ID request as gotten lost in the Rooney shuffle, and I too, have been trying to find out the name of it.

Anyone wanna help a brother out?

ctoan

ctoan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:23 PM

It's Orange Sky by Alexi Murdoch. The OC site on Fox has a listing of all the songs they've played for each episode. That's where I get my info, because I am SO not up on the music scene.

gemini_girl

gemini_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

So awesome in the midst of all the crappy Rooney to hear them play Ash. The song was on when they were watching the band walk by into the club, and I couldn't figure out what it was at first. It was driving me nuts then I had a eureka! moment and realized it was "Burn Baby Burn". Yay for Ash love! There's no reason that they shouldn't have a higher profile here in the States.

Oh my god yes! It took me a couple seconds to realize 'this isn't a Rooney song, it's Burn Baby Burn!!'

I've been a Rooney fan for a couple of years now and even I did not like all the Rooney shoved down our throats last night. "If It Were Up to Me" really should've been sung or played. At least I can be glad that "Popstars" was played. Nice to hear some of the old stuff from when they weren't signed to a major label. I really enjoyed knowing a little local mostly unknown unsigned band and now their going all mainstream.

TekkGirl

TekkGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

malm3 and gemini girl, I'm glad I wasn't the only one more excited about Ash being played for 30 seconds in the background than about the whole Rooney thing! (In fairness, I do like Rooney, so I'm not jumping on the hatewagon. I'm just not far enough past a sorta pleasant indifference to them to make an entire Rooney-centric episode a thrill for me.) Between that and the Bright Eyes name dropping in the Chrismukkah ep (to say nothing of the DC4C reference - those of us watching here in Seattle just laughed and laughed...), I could damn near get down with some of the musical choices lately.

Nice.

OrangeGeek

OrangeGeek

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 2:08 AM

Thanks, ctoan!

jesseb

jesseb

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

A head's up if you're near or in DC on the 24th of this month: Phantom Planet is playing at the Dupont Circle Olsson's Books (1307 19th St. NW) @ 3pm. It's a Saturday, so that should make it easier to attend. The flyer says they'll be "performing songs from and signing copies of their new self-titled album," but I'm sure they'll sign (and hopefully sing) older stuff.

elmo

elmo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

Northern Irish bands are getting a bit of a workout...mentions of Stiff Little Fingers and now Ash being played? Not bad.

Also playing The Androids and Jet, both Australian bands? They really cast a wide net for their songs.

beastie

beastie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:42 PM

If they have a thing for Northern Irish bands, I really hope they play the Undertones, because they were the best. band. ever.

cfsoccer28

cfsoccer28

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:46 PM

On TRL today they mentioned that the OC soundtrack hits stores March 2nd.

beastie

beastie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:58 PM

I don't suppose they said anything about what's on it?

pixel12

pixel12

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:39 AM

Wow - while looking to see if there was a track listing available for the album, I came across this site that lists (semmingly) every song aired on the OC with links to purchase the majority of them.

http://theocshow.com/theocmusic.htm

Enjoy ;-)

bootrungar

bootrungar

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:34 PM

I don't suppose they said anything about what's on it?

I think it will be Rooney's album, but with a new cover.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

What's up with the awful music in this episode? I could of sworn I heard multiple uses of nu-metal. I know this because it made me SOOO ANGRY! AHHH ANGRY! Josh Schwartz, what happened? Remember those glorious weeks in August when you played Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright, Doves, Mazzy Star, and Joseph Arthur? Those days were good, Josh Schwartz. Please no more Rooney, and definitely no more ANNNNGRY music. Go dig up Grace again. It'll do us all good.

Edited by malm3, Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:21 PM.