The Price Is Right

• Please log in to reply

1763 replies to this topic

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:54 PM

Since, it's tax time I thought I would post interesting article. Who knew?

http://www.accountin...show-win/222376

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:13 PM

TPIR winners pay tax on the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP), which is generally a great deal higher than one would pay on the free market.

So if you win a car in lucky 7 does that mean you have to pay taxes on a 20,000+ car even if you bought it for a dollar? Stupid US tax system.

gwlisa

gwlisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 7:44 AM

I'm curious if you can pick and choose which prizes you'll accept. Like I'll keep the car and pay the taxes on it but I'll just decline the hot tub. Any ideas? I don't see why not but geez, the rules may be funny...

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 8:47 AM

I guess if you're a young person without much life experience that you'd be shocked at having to pay tax on your prizes, but I thought everyone knew about the tax rules regarding game show winnings.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

That was a rerun, Gwlisa....I LMAO the first time I saw it, Drew's reaction and difficulty in trying to remain composed made it all the more funny.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 7:08 PM

I'm curious if you can pick and choose which prizes you'll accept. Like I'll keep the car and pay the taxes on it but I'll just decline the hot tub. Any ideas? I don't see why not but geez, the rules may be funny... 

Yes, you can decline any prize you do not want.  

But if you can make more selling it than the taxes, you'd come out ahead.

So if you win a car in lucky 7 does that mean you have to pay taxes on a 20,000+ car even if you bought it for a dollar? Stupid US tax system.

Why is it stupid?  Why should we have to pay a tax on every dime we EARN while some yo-yo from Ohio gets a tax-free car?  

In some cases, though, (like Oprah's Favorite Things), the show provides cash that can be used for the taxes.

Edited by Dee Clutter, Mar 24, 2014 @ 7:09 PM.

snappyjo

snappyjo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

Could anyone tell me who won SS yesterday. A woman bid $30,000, other contestant scoffed and bid $1. Thanks, I did not get back to see end!!

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 2:47 PM

The one who bid $1, Snappy....I don't understand when contestants do that but she won regardless.

snappyjo

snappyjo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Thank you. I sort of wanted other lady to win. It would have been a little more respectful to bid even 10,000!

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

If you feel confident that the other contestant(s) went over, then bidding $1 is the most logical thing to do. Why wouldn't you? Why risk trying to guess the actual price and going over yourself when you don't need to?

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Mar 25, 2014 @ 11:02 PM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

If you feel confident that the other contestant(s) went over, then bidding $1 is the most logical thing to do. Why wouldn't you? Why risking trying to guess the actual price and going over yourself when you don't need to?

Yes, this.  The goal of the showcase is to win, and if the player thinks bidding $1.00 is going to net them the win, so be it.  That also goes for bidding a dollar over another player on contestants' row.  Why risk being "nice" and going over when you can just say $601 or whatever?

snappyjo

snappyjo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 10:21 PM

I guess so.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:18 PM

Ohhhhh, I didn't think of that.....still, I'm always pleased when during the game the ones that bid $751 don't get picked.

ccatk22

ccatk22

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

The T shirts are getting annoying. The other day a contestant had, "Keep Calm and Come On Down". Really? I'd like to see a contestant come down calmly. I like creativity but only when it fits.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

How about Showcase Showdown Stud

ccatk22

ccatk22

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

Glad I missed that one!

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 7:42 PM

Really, Olympia Jenkins?  She placed a $30,000 bid on just a trip and sailboat, oy!  The other lady's bid wasn't better but she won thanks to the dopey bid.

gwlisa

gwlisa

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 7:52 PM

Good grief, I wouldn't have been so excited about that trip to Hawaii as that woman was today. The trip was to Maui but staying in the Hana Resort, "located at the end of the world famous road to Hana"... My husband just laughed when I told him tonight about winning a trip to Hana. He said that's not winning that's losing! We honeymooned in Maui two years ago and had the misfortune of going to Hana. Never again. I hope the lady knows what she's in for!

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

The sibling show today was a new low for stupid contestants. Each pair seemed more clueless than the last. Half of them didn't even seem to understand they won anything until it was spelled out for them. Scary! 

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 2:32 PM

Today was Rob Wilson's last day.  Rob is moving on to a big time daytime soap opera (he'll be on Days of Our Lives starting next month). 

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 6:25 PM

What?!  Sorry I missed that, much luck to him....hopefully that'll mean no more male models.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

I always liked Rob and am happy to see him on my soap. Even if he can't act, well, that ain't a requirement for Days. I thought it was cool that TPIR had a male model in general and I definitely thought Rob had the necessary friendly personality to go along with good looks.

gwlisa

gwlisa

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 07:18 AM

Is Rachel popular? I find myself smiling so big when I see her. She's either a great actress or the happiest, most upbeat person on earth. And gorgeous. She just looks so happy to show you that popcorn maker!

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 07:26 AM

hopefully that'll mean no more male models.

Drew mentioned that the show will probably do another male model search.  I don't see why the wouldn't, Rob was popular.