The Price Is Right

• Please log in to reply

1763 replies to this topic

JJJJShabado

JJJJShabado

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I agree with your thought, in theory, Kel Varnsen, but the problem is that you only have a 50-50 shot of getting one of the last three numbers correct (by probability, ignoring any clues). Probability of getting all 3 wrong = 3/4 * 4/5 * 5/6 = 60/120 = 1/2. I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that much of a chance. If you have two free numbers like the situation you describe, I definitely agree with one free chance and save either the 6 or the 1.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

the first digit was 1 or 3. The options for the second digit was 0, 2 or 6. Now every time you get another number right you get another chance, yet every time I watch the game people always try to get all the numbers right the first time.

Yes!!! I was watching it just the other day and the feller was so dumb he only got two chances. The second numbers were like 6, 7 and three. On the first chance he picks the 6. It was wrong, so on the second chance like a dumbass he picks the 3. I was yelling obscenities at the TV like you can't imagine. Needless to say the game was over. All I could think was, boy, some peoples children.....

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Yes!!! I was watching it just the other day and the feller was so dumb he only got two chances. The second numbers were like 6, 7 and three. On the first chance he picks the 6. It was wrong, so on the second chance like a dumbass he picks the 3. I was yelling obscenities at the TV like you can't imagine. Needless to say the game was over. All I could think was, boy, some peoples children.....

You think that's bad? Friday they had a special college spring break edition. One of the showcases was 3 trips (texas somewhere, Miami and Greece) and the woman who got it actually bid $5500. The look on Drew's face was hilarious, you know he wanted to say something, but I am sure it would be considered helping the bidders and not allowed.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

and the woman who got it actually bid $5500.

That's funny!!! I missed it Friday. It really surprises the hell out of me sometimes when people do some of the completely off the wall things that they do do..... (do do, hee hee)

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

A couple of interesting things from the last few episodes. On Friday they did a mother's day episode and Gwendolyn's husband and son were on (he was maybe 5). During the episode they stopped and took a break and the son announced that his mom was having a baby. It was actually kind of cool since Drew said she would be on the show throughout her pregnancy, especially since I could totally see how back in the day a price is right model probably would have been fired for being pregnant.

Also on yesterday’s show Craig Ferguson showed up and gave away some prizes. It was kind of cool, although I was disappointed that they made zero mention of The Drew Carey Show. I mean at least they could have had Ferguson refer to Drew as just Carey a few times.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

I only really watch this show when I'm sick at home (that's probably at least 80% of their viewership, right?), so I hadn't seen it in forever until this week, home with this evil cough/cold/plague.

They have dude models! When did this start? Not that there's anything wrong with that :), I was just surprised. I'm just old-fashioned and used to the Barker's Beauties era, I guess. Chatting with my friend from Australia, he said that their edition of TPIR has always had both male and female models. I guess we're just behind the times.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

What is the over/under that Gwendolyn will get fired after having the baby? Don't the model's usually get fired if they become pregnant? Of course, that might have been during Bob Barker's reign. I know one model was pregnant with twins and she left to have the babies and never came back. I can't remember her name but she had long brown/red hair. Am I recalling this correctly?

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

This is Gwendolyn's second time being pregnant on the show. If she didn't get fired last time, why would she this time around?

They have dude models! When did this start?

They've been using Daniel occasionally for, I don't know, the last season and a half. He's on Y&R, so it's a nice bit of crossover promotion for CBS.

I do hope they hire a permanent male model in the future. The all female model thing is a dreadful holdover of the Barker days.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 6:21 AM

Chatting with my friend from Australia, he said that their edition of TPIR has always had both male and female models. I guess we're just behind the times.

Yes, but only in a tokenistic manner until the latest incarnation this year (which is dreadful by the way - our Plinko's main prize is $3000 in shopping vouchers). Right now we've got two of each, but even then the women get far more airtime. Although the one advantage the last two incarnations had is having a male model on one side of the Bump board to reduce the overt sexism of the game. Which was quite fun when his outfit was a pair of tight boxer shorts, but I digress.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but....

Just before the second Showcase Showdown, the announcer would say that 'contestant not appearing on stage receive..." and describe two prizes, generally pretty nice and/or pricey. I enjoyed hearing about them. The last three weeks, they haven't done that. I wondered if there was a legal reason they couldn't announce it anymore, or if they simply stopped giving those sorts of consolation prizes. If it's the latter, I think that would be sad.

As for Daniel Goddard, he's cute and has a nice smile, and seems game for anything, but it seems he's got a lot of time on his hands to play male model. Doesn't Y&R use him?

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Just before the second Showcase Showdown, the announcer would say that 'contestant not appearing on stage receive..." and describe two prizes, generally pretty nice and/or pricey. I enjoyed hearing about them. The last three weeks, they haven't done that. I wondered if there was a legal reason they couldn't announce it anymore, or if they simply stopped giving those sorts of consolation prizes. If it's the latter, I think that would be sad.

I attended a taping a few weeks ago. During the break, Drew said the contestants not appearing on-stage are now getting cash as a consolation prize. I think it was $300.

As for Daniel Goddard, he's cute and has a nice smile, and seems game for anything, but it seems he's got a lot of time on his hands to play male model. Doesn't Y&R use him?

I guess they work out his schedule so he is off on Y&R those days or tapes at a different time. I'm not a soap viewer, but the casts are usually big. So Daniel might not have a lot of scenes to film on a given day.

Vilzvette

Vilzvette

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

I know one model was pregnant with twins and she left to have the babies and never came back. I can't remember her name but she had long brown/red hair. Am I recalling this correctly?
>
Brandi Sherwood and she was absolutely gorgeous. I was sad when she didn't return. It looks like Gwendolyn's pregnancy is being embraced for once and will not be an obstacle for her return. Although I doubt she's going to be doing the show in those killer heels in her ninth month.

bookseller362

bookseller362

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

So, I think I missed an announcement somewhere the other day... Who was the cute little boy who came onstage with Drew? I loved the fact that he wasn't wholly into the "being on tv" thing... A little shy, a little bored sometimes. Definitely not a born ham, but cute as the dickens.

Thanks!

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Who was the cute little boy who came onstage with Drew?

That's his ex-fiance's son, Connor. He's been on the show before, more often when he was smaller.

Brandi Sherwood and she was absolutely gorgeous. I was sad when she didn't return. It looks like Gwendolyn's pregnancy is being embraced for once and will not be an obstacle for her return. Although I doubt she's going to be doing the show in those killer heels in her ninth month.

Gwendolyn was pregnant the first time on the show before Brandi. Gwendolyn was pregnant with her first son in 2007-08 and Brandi was pregnant with her twins in 2009.

Edited by junemeatcleaver, Jun 15, 2012 @ 3:13 PM.

Vilzvette

Vilzvette

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Who was the cute little boy who came onstage with Drew?

That's his ex-fiance's son, Connor. He's been on the show before, more often when he was smaller.
>
Just to clarify to the OP, that is Drew's son as well!

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I've been watching this show since it basically began (I'm 47) and, it's still a fun show. Although, I don't like that 99.99% of the contestants who get picked are wearing "funny" shirts like it's Let's Make a Deal. I do have one question. Has Drew ever played the Check Game since he has hosted or was that game retired when Bob Barker was still hosting? Most people were confused by the game but I always got a kick out of the huge check. Yes, I amuse easily.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Has Drew ever played the Check Game since he has hosted or was that game retired when Bob Barker was still hosting?

Yes, Drew has.

It hasn't been played for a while, it seems like it's been a couple of years. I don't know if it's been retired or not.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

A happy 40th anniversary to the show as CBS longest running game show.

buttered toast

buttered toast

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Dear Amber & Manuela: don't drink the water.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 3:16 AM

I agree buttered toast!!! I was kind of surprised when they made such a big deal out of Rachel being pregnant. Bringing out her husband even. That sure as hell wouldn't of happened in Bob's era. The very minute that he found out, that model would be shown the door and probably given a boot in the ass to make damn sure she didn't come back!!! I was so glad to finally get some new shows for a change. I hate reruns with a passion. Seems like the Showcases have went up in value too. A sad sign of the times I think.....

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Dear Amber & Manuela: don't drink the water.

Although maybe that is why they are looking for male models; dudes can't get pregnant. That said depending on Amber or Manuela's relationship statuses male models could be a problem.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I got annoyed with the "My mom was on TPIR in 1066!" woman this morning because first she didn't spin the wheel all the way around, then she didn't pay any attention to what the wheel was doing, then Drew is like "You got 80 cents" and she said "I don't know what that means," and then he had to explain to her what it meant that she was going to the Showcase. Seriously, if you can't be bothered to have EVER watched the show, I don't want to see you win your way onto it. I turned it off before the end, but I hope she lost.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

I never get the people (young & old) who have no clue about an old or current game or how it's played. Especially, the old people. I'm 47 & have been watching from the beginning & I'm amazed when some clearly over 21 hasn't got a clue. Just yesterday they were playing the dice game and he rolled the dice and didn't get correct number. Drew said higher or lower and the guy says higher. They light up the higher box and it blinks and the guy thinks he's right. Drew then has to calm the guy down & tells him we won't know if it's right or wrong till the end. What a dumbass! I don't know how old the dice game is but I'm suspecting over 25-30 years. Drives.me.up.a.wall!!!!!!!!

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Dice Game debuted in June 1976, so 36 years.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Thanks Snide! I thought The Dice Game had been around a long time. So, I was 12 in the 1976. Wow! I suddenly feel old.

talley

talley

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

New here and not sure how to put quotes up, but @Rocky Monoxide I soooo agree. I was home sick and was bouncing around the channels and got to that part. The girl before her also was unaware. She had to be told to spin again; I think she thought she was spinning to actually win money. Then when idiot girl got the 80c the first girl just acted like a deer in headlights standing there. I turned it off too. Why are you at the show if you have no clue what anything is?

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

It's a good thing that the male model is only on for the week. He's probably a nice guy but he doesn't add anything to the show. Sometimes it's not always a good idea to reinvent the wheel.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

The girl before her also was unaware. She had to be told to spin again; I think she thought she was spinning to actually win money. Then when idiot girl got the 80c the first girl just acted like a deer in headlights standing there.

Yes, I noticed that, too! I think the first woman had 30c or something, and then when Dummy #2 went over there with her 80c, Dummy #1 kept standing there looking around like she had no idea what was happening or why she was there.

Edited by Rocky Monoxide, Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:31 PM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

It's a good thing that the male model is only on for the week. He's probably a nice guy but he doesn't add anything to the show. Sometimes it's not always a good idea to reinvent the wheel.

A co-ed pool of models are the standard on basically every other national version of The Price Is Right.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

These contestants annoy the hell out of me. You don't know the rules then don't come back on the show...Idiots.