The Price Is Right

• Please log in to reply

1763 replies to this topic

Sawblade

Sawblade

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:35 AM

Is it just me, or is this week's announcer, Daniel, really crappy? I know no one will ever equal Rod's amazing announcing, but c'mon, there's got to be someone better suited for TPIR than that guy.

What do you guys think?

coleoptera

coleoptera

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

I agree. Burton and the other guy are okay, but Daniel sucks.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

Word.

Edited by DoctorNeon, Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:53 PM.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:46 PM

In order of preference, I'm not thrilled with any of them, but I'll take Burton over Randy (though they sound more or less the same to me), and then that other guy can go to shit and the hogs can eat him for all I care.

SkippyDevereaux

SkippyDevereaux

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 6:29 AM

I wish that the Game Show Network would consider replaying the old black and white episodes of "The Price Is Right".
The older version is a much better version that the current one.
You did not see the players scream like a banshee or make utter fools out of themselves.
The contestants today dress like they just got up out of bed and threw on the first thing they found, and they look like trailer trash. I am not saying that they have to dress like they are going to a formal event, but c'mon....people could dress a whole lot better than they are.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

I wish that the Game Show Network would consider replaying the old black and white episodes of "The Price Is Right".

They have considered it -- in fact, they've shown those episodes in the past -- but the rerun rights to both versions of "The Price Is Right" are tied together, and either Fremantle (the company that now owns the Goodson-Todman game shows) wants more money than GSN is willing to spend, or they don't want to sell the reruns at all right now, probably because they don't want to "dilute" the current CBS episodes.

By the way, the original "Price Is Right" was actually one of NBC's first regular daily color shows...it's just that the color videotapes didn't survive, just black-and-white kinescopes, so that's all they could show now.

ClowingAround

ClowingAround

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

Wow, I never even knew that they had black and white versions of the Price is Right. I always thought the show existed only in its current form of color and with Bob Barker. I guess it is true when they say you learn something new everyday.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

The contestants today dress like they just got up out of bed and threw on the first thing they found, and they look like trailer trash. I am not saying that they have to dress like they are going to a formal event, but c'mon....people could dress a whole lot better than they are.

I just get tired of all of the variations of the "I LOVE BOB" t-shirts that get into contestants' row. But I do like the mix of at least semi-hot college guys that make it there.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

It's official. Per CBS, the 6000th episode of TPIR is slated to air on March 1st (two weeks from today, where I'll completely forget about it). It's also scheduled to be taped on February 19th (this Thursday, where I'm slated to fail in my attempts to be at the taping).

In case you missed the 5000th show, rumor has it that it'll be another car show. Whatever happens, it'll definately be worth watching.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 11:27 AM

Gotta love Bob and his relationships with the Big Women Who Win Big. After hosting for so long, he has this sixth sense about them. There was one on today, Cheryl. Have to admire that she was able to keep it in check for the most part, though there were a couple of times when Bob had to step FAR away from her because she looked liked she was about to snap him in two like a twig!

Hated the Navy lieutenant...first he picks his nose (on national tv!) and "tries" to be funny and bid $1.50. Ass.

Edited by Fandomania, Feb 19, 2004 @ 11:30 AM.

Sawblade

Sawblade

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

Does anybody else think it's time they updated the decor? That stage still looks like it's stuck in the 70s! I know some will say it's part of the show's "charm" but I still think it's high time they brought this show into the new millenium. And while they're at it, why don't they get better furniture providers. Grandma style sofas and dining rooms aren't really the big thing these days. :)

Maybe they're waiting until Bob retires....

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

Does anybody else think it's time they updated the decor? That stage still looks like it's stuck in the 70s! I know some will say it's part of the show's "charm" but I still think it's high time they brought this show into the new millenium.

They tried that in 1994 with The New Price is Right, and it failed miserably. The show is doing great in the ratings after 32 years, and the reason it's done so well is that there has been very little change throughout the years.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

Well, I watched the 6000th show. It was okay, but nothing THAT spectacular.

No $$ given away on the big wheel...no golden road and no Plinko, super or otherwise. The girl that won the first prize (a sports car) on Lucky Seven, won the final showcase as well... but I have a quibble with her game...they gave her the first number for Lucky Seven! What a cheat. Okay, so the first number was a 4...but still, after that, all she had to do was guess "5" for every number to win (she didn't, but that's besides the point).

People in contestants' row were pretty brutal, almost all of the people that won were ones who bid $1 over the highest bid...

And the woman that won in the end, wound up being the highest winning daytime player in history ($92,000 +....including a loaded sportscar from the first game ($40,000+) and a cadillac for the final game.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

They always give the first number for Lucky Seven. It started in the days of four-digit cars, but then they got to five digits, and they started giving the first digit to ensure equal odds.

Garrison

Garrison

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 11:47 PM

I'm another person who hates PLINKO. I think the very fact that someone else mentioned -- that it is 100% luck -- is the reason I find it boring. I like other games that combine both thought and luck like Punchboard and Spelling Bee, as well as Clock Game. The game I would hate to have to play is ... "Golden Road". You come up with that game on stage, and you might as well just go straight to the wheel.

I have a tape of one episode of TPiR I taped from GameShow Network about five years ago which had in my opinion the weirdest game ever. It was from around 1975 and the game was called "Professor Price". It featured an animotronic puppet that would keep track of how many questions the contestant got right and wrong on its two hands and I swear the thing looks like its giving Bob the finger at one point. Perhaps that was the reason it only appeared three or four times before being retired.

smokies444

smokies444

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 3:25 PM

I think the easiest game to win has to be the range finder game. As long as you hit the stop button with the middle of the range finder directly opposite the stop button you win every time. I have never seen this fail

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 9:44 PM

Hm...I could have sworn I saw some recent shows featuring Lucky 7 and they didn't give the first number away. Also, all of the contestants lost. But in this case (the 6,000th show), literally all she had to do was guess 5 for each door and she would have won (she won anyway).

ITA about the range finder game. And of course unless you're a complete idiot, you should be able to get the clock game by now.

This site has been given a few times in the past, but I think it bears repeating...A Great TPIR Site. It has bunches of stuff, including the aformentioned Professor Price game demo.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 8:24 AM

Thanks for the link to that cool website, Fandomonia. I finally got a chance to see that Professor Price game. No wonder that game was cancelled. Not only did it look like the professor was flipping Bob the bird due to the way his hands were organized, but it also didn't allow the contestant to have any help from the audience, and half of the questions that Bob asked the contestant were fairly random and didn't have anything to do with the prize. It was kind of surreal to see a four thousand dollar car, though.

sunny605

sunny605

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 8:39 PM

I hate the Cliff Hanger game. Maybe if there were no annoying yodeling, I wouldn't feel so strongly about it.

The show seems like it rarely gives away GOOD cars anymore...sticking mostly to the cheapest compact cars in most of the games (and sometimes even showcases) - Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, etc. Just me?

The dice game is one of my favorites, and the shell game is pretty good too.

Hassenfeffer

Hassenfeffer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

I love the cliffhanger game. I rarely get to see it and when I do the person always wins so I never get to hear the poor fool climber crashing. The crashing is the best part.

Long live Holly!!!!!!

thesporq

thesporq

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 5:54 AM

A few days ago I saw all three contestants get 1.00 on the wheel so they did a triple bonus spin/spinoff, and one of them got the 5 grand spot. Wonder how many times that's happened.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2004 @ 8:19 AM

A few days ago I saw all three contestants get 1.00 on the wheel so they did a triple bonus spin/spinoff, and one of them got the 5 grand spot. Wonder how many times that's happened.

I'm sure it hasn't happened that often. I'm surprised Bob didn't say something along the lines of "That hasn't happened since 19xx!"

On the other hand, winning $5,000 in the spin off is rather sweet and sour. Sweet because you just won $6,000 in the space of a few minutes (esp. if you lost your previous game)... But sour because it's VERY easy to beat 5 or 15 cents in a spin off!

Sawblade

Sawblade

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

Rant alert!

Ok, it may just be me who is getting more grumpy as time goes by, but it seems to me the contestants on TPIR are getting more annoying, and dumber. For example:

-The contestants do not seem to be able to make ANY decisions on their own anymore. Somehow thinking the audience magically knows everything. I know it's always been this way more or less, but it's getting worse, and Bob seems to have gotten quite impatient over it. Which is actually funny to see, especially when it takes forever for the person to turn around and make their one dollar bid. :O)

-The one dollar bid, and a dollar over the highest bid bid. Ok, it can be a good strategy, but to most contestants it has become the only way to get on stage, wether it makes sense or not. In other words, actually bidding on the prize itself is too hard.

-College kids. Yeah I said it. Clones upon clones of the same over-excited, baseball cap wearing, hollering at their buddies, "one dollar bidding" student who now seem to pack the audience every show. And there always seems to be a couple of jokers who think it's funny to get up when somebody else's name is called just to get the camera on their face. Yeah, it was funny the first five-hundreth time, give it up.

So, is it just me? Has it always been this bad, or have I officially become a grouch? Nevertheless, sometimes I wish Bob would just smack some of them contestants upon the head with his mic and tell 'em to smarten up. Hehe.

Rant over.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

No, it's not just you, and I'll add one to the list:

-College students who think it's funny to bid $420 or something ending in 69. It wasn't even funny the first time, yet there are still people who do this then turn around to their buddies with a big grin on their face like they're so damn funny and original. I'm a college student myself, and I just want to tell those idiots to grow up.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 7:11 PM

College students who think it's funny to bid $420 or something ending in 69. It wasn't even funny the first time, yet there are still people who do this then turn around to their buddies with a big grin on their face like they're so damn funny and original.

*SNORT!*

To be honest with you, I never noticed them doing it. I'm sure it's happened over and over though (shows you how much I pay attention).

Rant:
-Contestants so stupid as to bid $1-10 UNDER a previous bidder. What crack are THESE people smoking? I can't count the number of times one person will bid something like $800 and the next person will bid $799. I just want to reach through the screen and shake them like a rag doll!

Today totally shocked me. For the first time in I don't know how long I was completely wrong about the price of the final showcases!

First up: A digital camera and photo printer, A trip to Venice and an African Safari trip (think there might have been another prize, but those are the main ones). Contestant bid $14,800. I thought that was a decent bid, but I would have gone $18,000

Second up: Game room (Pinball game, Pool table, Video game), a Sauna, and two Kawasaki motorcycles. Contestant bid $27,000. Again, I thought it was a decent bid, but would have gone about $32,000 myself.

The reveal?

First contestant ARP - $35,000+!!!!

Second contestant ARP - $18,000!!!!

I swear I thought Bob had accidentally switched cards on the contestants. I was thoroghly shocked. I guess motorcycles aren't that expensive after all?

Sawblade

Sawblade

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

I have another addition to my previous rant, so much for it being over. Hee.

- Contestants who bid one dollar over the previous bidder, while there are still one or two bidders remaining. That is just plain dumb if you ask me. :O)

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

Vgmastr, I think those kids bidding $469 or whatever think they're so good that they can hit it right on the nose for the $500 bonus. You're not, unless you have recently purchased the item in question.

And add me to the 'audience stole my brain' hating train. Just once I'd like to see Bob ram earplugs into some particularly dipshitty poller's head. That or ask "Who are you asking?", then after he/she replies, send the contestant back to his/her seat and bring up whoever it is he/she's asking. I guarantee you it would end after Bob made an example out of just one player.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 7:45 PM

mtvcdm, I really don't think that would work.

Yes, it's getting annoying, I agree. I too think it has gotten particularly bad as of late. However, people have been going to the audience for years. I really think it would hurt the image of the show if they forbade it now.

smokies444

smokies444

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 3:24 PM

Just wondering why Bob has never upgraded to a cordless microphone? He is always having to flip that cord and get it out from under the contestants feet. Is it part of the 60's decor like the rest of the set?

mayes2004

mayes2004

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

The show seems like it rarely gives away GOOD cars anymore...sticking mostly to the cheapest compact cars in most of the games (and sometimes even showcases) - Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, etc. Just me?

No it's not just you. They also give away the most basic models of the cars too, some still with crank-up windows!

I also think it's funny that they only give away American cars, not German or Japanese. Does anybody know why?