General Hospital

• Please log in to reply

245133 replies to this topic

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I find this whole Sam/Jason storyline to be utterly disgusting but at least RC allowed Sam to walk out on Jason.I don't think Guza's Jason would ever allow his pregnant wife walk out on him. Guza's Jason would have him kicking out Sam for lying about McBain and her begging him to allow HER to stay.

It seems like RC is trying to throw old-school flavor in with the catfights, utilizing vets like Luke, Anna, Felicia and Heather but the problem is the show is still lacking heart. The great thing about old-school soap is that that character interactions felt realistic and characters were 3D. Now every character is so one-note and borderline cartoonish. RC can do all the throwback shout-outs he wants but until he gets his staff to write the characters as real people and not cartoons or one-note stereotypes his efforts to re-build this or any soap will be in vain.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Ron is very good at writing parodies of soaps. None of his soaps ever have heart. The characters are empty until they get to occasionally make a "touching" speech every few years. It's also tough to get a big laugh out of some mentally ill woman who was raped brawling and hissing with increasingly repulsive and childish Carly. Carly is so inconsistent and so poorly written - one day she is having a forced bonding session with Sam and the next she's in a stale catfight with Rizzo.

I always rooted for Carly over Brenda in the late 90's, but I think the way that relationship was written - Brenda knew Carly was beneath her, and had no need for hair pulling and slapping - was much stronger than anything with the trash on GH today.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I think Sam knows Jason told Elizabeth everything because that's the way he phrased it.

He said everything, then made it seem like it was "everything" about McBain & Sam talking to him. Nothing indicated to me that Sam knows/realizes that Jason decided her rape should be shared with whomever he deemed fit.

Baxter1966

Baxter1966

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

He said everything, then made it seem like it was "everything" about McBain & Sam talking to him. Nothing indicated to me that Sam knows/realizes that Jason decided her rape should be shared with whomever he deemed fit.

I agree. When Sam asked what he meant by everything, it seemed like Jason backtracked at that point in the conversation and turned it back to the Sam-McBain interaction. Jason is a douche.The reason Sam was raped in the first place was because of her relationship with him. Now he can't seem to get past his own feelings to support his pregnant wife. For one moment, I'd like to see him step out of his own self pity and consider how his wife is feeling. Why is everything always about Jason? I'm really hoping the writers are trying to make him out to be an ass. If this is how they go about making the audience sympathize with him, then they are way off base.

Carly is disgusting.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

Yes. I think Jason is accurately being shown for the limited fella he is. S am had a quiet strength today. Though I still wish she went to Alexis' I'm happy she ran into McBain.

And if I have to watch Sonny I'd rather have McBain's snarky commentary.

Loved Kate Nd Carly.

Yay sweeps. But poor Lulu, she's been hidden somewhere for days and Dante's been handcuffed to the chair since Mon? I can't keep track.

Timewalker

Timewalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

But poor Lulu, she's been hidden somewhere for days and Dante's been handcuffed to the chair since Mon? I can't keep track.

Three days for us, still the same day in Port Charles' time zone. :o)

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

I thought Tuesday was the start to a new day in PC.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

They keep saying "last night", so it's probably been around 12 hours or at most a day since we last saw Lulu in PC time.

I always rooted for Carly over Brenda in the late 90's

I think they had maybe one scene in the late 90s together. In fact Brenda had barely any scenes with anybody in late 1998 except Jax. I remember her being super isolated.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

I think they had maybe one scene in the late 90s together. In fact Brenda had barely any scenes with anybody in late 1998 except Jax. I remember her being super isolated.

They had several run-ins in Brenda's last year, as this was when Carly first saw herself as a mob queen and clashed with Brenda at a store, at that big dinner where some sniper shot Brenda in the arm and Carly declared a strike without asking Jason, etc. I remember the scene best where Carly went on about "designer straitjackets." They weren't in a big story together but the show had them interact, to remind viewers of Carly's place on the show compared to her delusions.

sunnyface

sunnyface

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:44 AM

but the problem is the show is still lacking heart.

GH does have heart. It's arteries are clogged with Sonny/Jason - Double bypass is needed stat.
The only good thing about Sonny/Jasonis that any other actor/plot line that manages to sneak some time is more enjoyable to view. I don't have problems with the occasional police/kelly's scenes or plots. GH has managed to make murder and rape boring. The filler stuff (kelly's/floating rib) is AWOL. They had a storyline involving teenagers sporting actors who weren't totally annoying to watch - Molly and Sean's friend's kid - which afforded the opportunity to get younger viewers. Instead we have had to watch a constipated looking Jason and an actor (MB) who is challenged to get through reading lines in a scene with other actors he should be comfortable with. The fact that the kid playing Michael has improved with the new writer's/direction demonstrates to me that the problem rests with MB/Sonny. Kill Sonny - connect michael and jason (if necessary) with the Q storyline.

I wish Heather would get a job as a bartender at the Metro Court. Then at the next mob celebration event, she could serve Sonny, Jason, and Carly some of her special tea . .

Hopefully St*rr would be working that night.
Props to the person responsible for the music in the backround especially at the end of the scenes. Nice touch!

Edited by sunnyface, May 3, 2012 @ 7:54 AM.

6feetover

6feetover

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

I've been watching soaps on and off for the last 20 years, and I'm pretty sure that Jason abandoning his pregnant wife who was raped by his stalker is the nastiest and harshest thing I've seen. Yes, she left, but only because he made her feel so incredibly unwelcome.
Also, much has been made over the years of how Steve Burton won't do certain scenes because of his faith and love of his wife. I wonder if he objected at all to this horrible character "evolution".

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

I am so ashamed of myself. When Connie screamed and tackled the Slagbeast, I burst out laughing. Not because I thought it was funny--but because it was so ridiculous. What are they? 12? Can you imagine those scenes in slow motion?

They've totally ruined Connie's character. And by that, I mean the backstory/history we were given when Megan Ward was first introduced and we found out who she was and why she changed her name. Even when Olivia burst onto the scene, never was there a conversation or accusations that Connie was a slut, firestarter, drama queen, wanting to get into every guy's pants, like Olivia NOW suddenly telling Liz, that Kate is acting like Connie--who was someone who liked to cause trouble.

If there was a giant ACME Anvil, I'd smash it over Jason's head. He's not sure he can love the baby? Well, his feelngs are so fickle. He had NO problem loving this baby when he found about it. He was OVER the moon during the sonogram. He already LOVED the baby. But, the moment he was told the baby wasn't his, all that love died and burnt to ashes? All of a sudden, he's not sure if he can love this baby? It's so maddening that the ashole he is, can only focus on who "fathered" this child (I suspect it will come out that the baby is actually his), and won't even see that it's part of Sam, too. And by rejecting this baby, he's rejecting Sam. I'm glad that Sam said that, but per usual, it went over his head or it didn't matter.

And Sam didn't leave because the penthouse would remind her of Jason--she left so he could "think" about whether or not to accept this baby, which he had until a couple weeks ago, rejected it, and now needs to think if he can love the baby. I wish Sam had gone out more angry.

And that Slagbeast just proved that despite having money, she's still low-rent white trash. And clueless and uninformed to boot. I'm not in the medical field, but even I know what D.I.D. and knew it before it was shown on this show.

cornerpocket

cornerpocket

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

And Sam didn't leave because the penthouse would remind her of Jason--she left so he could "think" about whether or not to accept this baby

Sam left Jason to allow him time to 'think' about whether he could accept the baby. This is true. Jason suggested she remain at the PH as it was her home. He would leave. She declined stating their were too many memories of him there.

Baxter1966

Baxter1966

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I'm just glad someone finally walked out on Jason. As someone stated up thread, by rejecting Sam's baby, he's rejecting Sam. That's Jason's home - as proven time and time again by Carly who is allowed to barge in unannounced and stay as long as she likes. Sam has little to no control as to what happens in that penthouse and was right to leave. There may be too many memories of him there, but that's a poor excuse for wanting to escape a painful situation. All she has to do is look down at her growing belly and be reminded of the wrath of pain that he's caused her (kidnapping, rape - just to name a few). It's a miracle that Sam's pregnant in the first place. Even at this point if they believe that Franco is the baby daddy, Jas-ass should be happy that they will have a child to raise together. It's not like he hasn't played father to a nephew before.

6feetover

6feetover

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Is this all leading up to a nasty custody battle, when it's proven that the baby is Jason's, but Sam has moved on?
Given that a judge wouldn't grant rights to a mobster's hitman, I assume there will be the usual Sonny/Jason/Carly threats and manipulation in the mix.
(speculation, not spoiler)

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Is it not true that if any of us had a friend in Sam's predicament, we wouldn't be encouraging her to 'work it out'?

I'm consistently baffled as to how a writer could get through writing this story and not retch at the end of every work day.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

I'm not a big fan of Jasam, but I just support Sam moving out from Jason's house and hopefully from his life. She deserves a good life with her baby.

bpeck

bpeck

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Did Monica ever say, or behave, like she couldn't love Jason because he wasn't her biological son? I seem to remember times when she was angry with him, but never outright rejected him just because of his parentage.

In the beginning, she did use him as a basketball. She was holding itty bitty Jason and just "accidentally" dropped him on the stairs. She loathed toddler Jason. The Jason worship began during the Labine years and it just got worse with time.

Edited by bpeck, May 3, 2012 @ 9:59 AM.

redcookie

redcookie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Let me get this straight: of all the actors on OLTL, the “actress” that portrays Starr is/was the shinning star? I didn’t watch that show, but answer me this: Am I suppose to think she is a great actress? Since the very beginning she has been over-the-top melodramatic and can I say horrible actress. However, maybe that is just how the character of Starr is, I am willing to give her the benefit of doubt. But of all those now out-of-work thespians, she was the anointed one? (And her face annoys me….there I said it.)

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Where is John staying? It cracks me up that this is the first time we've seen someplace other than the MetroCourt. It also cracks me up that Sam decides to go there instead of, say, Kelly's, which is the usual stop. But it sucks that she has no girlfriend to crash with.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

GH was on the Soup last night. The joke was something like, "The Avengers had a high opening weekend. How did they manage that? WITH SUBTLE ADVERTISING" and then they showed the clip of Spinelli asking what would the Avengers do, hee.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

GH does have heart. It's arteries are clogged with Sonny/Jason - Double bypass is needed stat.
The only good thing about Sonny/Jasonis that any other actor/plot line that manages to sneak some time is more enjoyable to view. I don't have problems with the occasional police/kelly's scenes or plots. GH has managed to make murder and rape boring. The filler stuff (kelly's/floating rib) is AWOL. They had a storyline involving teenagers sporting actors who weren't totally annoying to watch - Molly and Sean's friend's kid - which afforded the opportunity to get younger viewers. Instead we have had to watch a constipated looking Jason and an actor (MB) who is challenged to get through reading lines in a scene with other actors he should be comfortable with. The fact that the kid playing Michael has improved with the new writer's/direction demonstrates to me that the problem rests with MB/Sonny. Kill Sonny - connect michael and jason (if necessary) with the Q storyline.

I think Maurice Benard is just an obvious problem. With less rehearsal time and more focus than ever on big melodramatic moments with no breathing room, bad acting seems to take more prominence. I have not watched GH regularly in recent years so maybe Laura Wright is always this bad, but I don't remember her being this bad. Jen Lilley was terrible at Robin's funeral. DZ has been bad recently. Lisa Lo just seems to be phoning it in. Kristen Alderson has been terrible in the scenes where she has to rage over Cole and Hope. Kelli Sullivan is horrible.

The show has a lot of bad acting which is hidden behind some concept of "soapiness" or "camp", but it just takes me out of most of the dramatic scenes. Then there are the people who just sleepwalk through everything, like Steve Burton and Michael Easton.

I do think that Tony Geary, Robin Mattson, and Jason Thompson and a few others have given some strong dramatic performances, and Chad Duell has gotten better with the new writing, but there's a lot of bad acting to wade through.

Edited by steve91199, May 3, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I can't find the The Soup clip with GH, damn it. I only find the one with The Avenger vs Revenge.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I hope Sam never goes back to Jason but this is GH and people always go crawling back to St. Jasus. and Im pretty sure the baby will end up being his anyway.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Connie totally channeled Ms. Piggy when she tackled Carly. Probably ICG, that. I could watch that over and over.

I was watching GH while feeding one of my boys and I howled so loud at that I startled the crap out of him and he nearly choked on his bottle (bad mommy!). It totally reminded me of Joey on Friends.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

Let me get this straight: of all the actors on OLTL, the "actress" that portrays Starr is/was the shinning star?

No, she wasn't. She did grow up on OLTL, and as a younger character she was unique and quite interesting. But as others have mentioned, her teen years were pretty awful. I wasn't surprised that the new regime wanted to bring people over from OLTL; but I was very surprised that the first one announced was KA/Starr. She's OK, but I still don't get why they picked her over so many others.

I think Maurice Benard is just an obvious problem. With less rehearsal time and more focus than ever on big melodramatic moments with no breathing room, bad acting seems to take more prominence. I have not watched GH regularly in recent years so maybe Laura Wright is always this bad, but I don't remember her being this bad. Jen Lilley was terrible at Robin's funeral. DZ has been bad recently. Lisa Lo just seems to be phoning it in. Kristen Alderson has been terrible in the scenes where she has to rage over Cole and Hope. Kelli Sullivan is horrible.

I will gladly take the poor acting of JL, DZ, KS, and Lisa Lo over MB and SB any day, though. Those two have been terrible for years no matter what the story required -- SB just stares and furrows his brow while MB struggles with getting more than a line or two out at a time. It's painful to watch. While it's true that many of the others have had their bad days, they have had some pretty good days, too. JL was believable with grief before the funeral meltdown, and I've enjoyed KS poking Carly with a stick and her disgust for Sonny. DZ is OK when he's not screaming or kissing Sonny's ass. Ditto for Lisa. I won't defend KA or LW, though.

Anyway, all this is to say that for me, the problems with GH start with MB/Sonny and end with SB/Jason and LW/Carly. Everything else ranges on the scale from tolerable to enjoyable.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I'm thinking KA was the only core-family OLTL character who would commit to moving to L.A.

Don't see why they had to kill her kid. It would have made more sense if Cole was either killed or had to go into hiding for fake-death, and she still had Hope.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I still don't get why they picked her over so many others

I sort of do. The college-age set isn't that large, especially with Lulu married and Kristina off at Yale.

Don't see why they had to kill her kid. It would have made more sense if Cole was either killed or had to go into hiding for fake-death, and she still had Hope.

Hope was an albatross, AFAIC. I don't care that she's dead (though I agree it was harsh), and Starr as teenage mom never worked for me. There was never any thought about what to do with Hope after she was born. I don't need to see her get kidnapped in Port Charles. That happened too many times in Llanview.

I don't think bringing Starr over was a good idea. She's not adding anything to the canvas. OLTL viewers already saw her do the "forbidden love" thing with Cole, and Michael is just as big a dunderhead, so I don't expect to be charmed by their inevitable relationship. But other than John, who I think has been decently integrated (even if it's in a go-nowhere story), Starr was probably one of the easier characters to bring over. Her youth makes her something of a blank slate.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

If Jason has doubts about being able to love this child, it's better he works through them now, than wait until the child is born and then rejects/resents them. Jason was honest with Sam today. He doesn't know what he feels. He knows he hasn't had enough time to work through all the emotions within him. If he truly feels this way, Sam needs to know.

But there are ways to communicate that that are loving and heartbreaking. You know, the kind of conversations a soap opera used to specialize in, where people are in serious pain but still doing the right thing. “Here we are in this impossible situation. I don’t know how I feel, or how anybody WOULD feel. I just know I love you and we’ll get through this together.” And you’d see the worry and the stress and they’d confide in their friends how impossible the situation is, but put up a brave front for their partner. Or they THINK they’ll be able to deal, but then the kid’s born and they can’t deal as well as they thought they would, and heartbreak ensues.

She was asking for reassurance that he would stand by her and he'd have her back as they went into this bizarre and scary future together, and what she got back was "I dunno. I’ll have to get back to you on it when I make up my mind.”

brenaugirl

brenaugirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I sort of do. The college-age set isn't that large, especially with Lulu married and Kristina off at Yale.

Not to mention they're all practically or quite literally related...