General Hospital

• Please log in to reply

244902 replies to this topic

DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:08 PM

Peter, I believe, had died by this point.

Yep. Peter died of a heart attack in 79.

And Heather at the time was played by Georgianne LaPierre, better known as Cher's sister.

Close. By the time Heather went "insane" & was running around town dressed like a lookalike nurse she was Robin Mattson. Georgianne played Heather during her selling of Steven Lars/PJ to the Taylors & her initial infatuation with Jeff period(s).

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:10 PM

Georgianne was the one who did the Lazy Susan of Doom, right? After that was the recast?

Edited by Ms Chicklet, Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:13 PM.

DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

IIRC, Robin Mattson rode The Lazy Susan Of Doom.

Edited by DeeeDee, Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:17 PM.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

I don't remember when the Heather portrayers changed, but I do remember this SL being my introduction to the word, "catatonic." I think I was maybe 8 or 9 year old and could not understand why a "can of tonic" was so stressful to those folks on tv.

Edited by frostedglass, Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:25 PM.

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:33 PM

I'm pretty sure RM was introduced as Heather after she was in the asylum. I had started watching around that time and I remember reading something about Heather being back with a new actress - I have a vague memory that there was downtime between the Lazy Susan and Heather's rather hilarious time in the institution. Didn't she have a friend in there who figured into her escape plans? Really, I guess the tradition of catatonia and inmates coming and going from institutions goes back a long ways on this show.

Kiran

Kiran

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

I've only been watching since the early 90s (with my step mom), so it'll probably be a little skewed.

Most hilarious death: Katharine Bell. If only because bitch fell to her death of a parapet twice.

Sex scene that looked like really fun sex: Jason and Carly above Jakes. Carly is now a banshee and Jason is a souless robot but that was a hot scene and Sarah Brown and Steve Burton were smoking. What with the no names, and ripping the condom wrapper open with his teeth. Although Ned and Lois when they first had sex was hot too.

Sex scene that made you wish you were blind: Roy and Bobbie. I thought she was hot with Jerry and Stephan...but oh my God. Jackie Zeman and A. Martinez nearly blinded me during 2001 with this shit.

Storyline you never saw but wish you had after reading about it: The entire Luke and Laura Saga in the 70s and 80s and Anna and Robert. I only got the tail end of them.

Best wedding crasher: I'll go with Jason at Sonny and Brenda's nuptials. That was some good soap.

Biggest bore: Juan. God I hated Juan.

Biggest whore: Sonny.

Lowest IQ: Courtney. Now and forever Courtney. Well, I liked her with AJ. But post stripper Courtney.

Which character, living or dead, would you feel compelled to slap after 5 minutes in their company: Sam as she is now. Shes setting feminism back 40 years every time she whines about how without Jason her life doesnt matter.

Most irritating character backstory -Reese. Easily Reese. Not only did it not make any sense, but it fucked up Carly's history too.

Worst dressed EVER: When Tamara Brauns Carly was first introduced she spent what felt like a month wearing a rainbow bright leisure suit. I still have nightmares.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:37 PM

The Sword of Malkuth sounds like something Buffy would have to keep away from Spike. Heh.

Bye, Newly!Hot!Diego! I thought TK did a not-bad job with his grief, considering he was given all of about 10 seconds to emote. Maybe Diego left a note somewhere that he knows Maxie is faking the pregnancy. Fingers crossed.

GF and TG continue to reduce me to tears. They are superb together. I love the quote from pages back that GF can really bring out other actors' deep emotions. It's totally true. She raises the bar for everyone. Bye, Laura, we hardly knew ye this time around.

ElleMo

ElleMo

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:42 PM

Most irritating character backstory

Last night I was laying in bed when I remembered a backstory that really irritated me: blond hair blue eyed Felicia was an Aztec princess. Whatever. And Sean was her godfather or something?

I forgot to raise my hand before

Raise your hand if you remember Richard Simmons running aerobic classes at the Campus Disco ...

agingrapidly

agingrapidly

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:51 PM

Last night I was laying in bed when I remembered a backstory that really irritated me: blond hair blue eyed Felicia was an Aztec princess. Whatever. And Sean was her godfather or something?

LOL! That was a hoot wasn't it? Felicia looked more like Tressy back in those days than a Latino! KW's last name at the time--Malandro--must have fooled the casting director!

Sean was Robin's godfather, but then so was every other male in town.

TikiGirl

TikiGirl

Couch Potato

Raise your hand if you remember Richard Simmons running aerobic classes at the Campus Disco ...

I don't remember this, but I do have horrifying early memories of Richard Simmons and wondering what the fuck was wrong with him, and my first impression hasn't changed. I mean, he was a plump, undefined little bastard who was supposed to be about exercise, diet, and being in shape? It just didn't compute. He also had early TG's hair, and that was never a good thing, not even in the cocaine-fueled late 70s/early 80s. In fact, cocaine can be the only possible reason for people loving the electroshock look.

So is there anything at all worth tuning in for this week? And was that one of the dumbest questions ever?

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Rainsing hand for Richard Simmons! I don't know if it was local in the Boston area, but there was a song called General Hospital (pronounced Hoss-pih-Tal) back in the 80's. I remember a verse from it, "Amy Vining likes to blab. Richard Simmons helps my flab. Susan's having Alan's baby. Noah wants Bobby for his lady..."

ETA http://freelyrics.vi...-hospi-tale.htm

Edited by frostedglass, Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:54 PM.

DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Aww, The Afternoon Delights. Good times.

Ammy

Ammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Sean was Robin's godfather, but then so was every other male in town.

Truly is there another character is history who had as many godfathers. And as Sean just months earlier had kidnapped Holly and tried to kill Robert why exactly was he considered good godfather material?

krizmic

krizmic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:10 PM

I started watching about the time of Robert and Anna's garden wedding...so bear that in mind.

Most hilarious death: Katherine Bell was a good one, but Reese's train death was just ridiculous.

Sex scene that looked like really fun sex: Lois and Ned are popping into my head...maybe it had something to do with Eddie's leather pants?

Sex scene that made you wish you were blind: I tend to flip the channel for most sex scenes that I think will be barf-worthy. But just the thought of Fluke or Reec sex makes me cringe.

Storyline you never saw but wish you had after reading about it: There are so many--the beginnings of Luke and Laura and their crazy adventures...the Scorpios of the 80s...

Best wedding crasher: Ryan Chamberlain, hands down.

Biggest bore: "Juan. God I hated Juan." I'd forgotten about Juan (I guess that says it all!) but I'll go with Juan. Or Keesha--God, she was awful.

Biggest whore: Sonny.

Lowest IQ: Whortney it is.

Which character, living or dead, would you feel compelled to slap after 5 minutes in their company: Mykill. And I don't advocate hitting any kid EVER, but Mykill.

Most irritating character backstory: Sam--I like Ms. Chicklet's reasons why.

Worst dressed EVER: I remember being a young teenager and being horrified at the way they dressed Genie throughout the 90s.

OK, so I haven't been posting, but I've been watching. I predict that JMB will break my heart today. She's been so good with Genie, so real and believable. GF and TG are heartwrenchingly good together. I'm so sad that the beauty that is their friendship/marriage/partnership will be fading away this week.

I love me some Kali Rodriguez. That little girl is fabulous and I'm looking forward to seeing all of this play out. I'm confident that Kali is not traumatized by any of this--that she knows it's play and I'm sure Ignacio jumped to his feet at the word "cut" so that she knew it wasn't real.

I mean, this is the kid who wanted to ad-lib and when she was told she couldn't, pointed to NLG and said, "But she does it!" She's a smart little cookie and I'm glad that we'll be seeing some more of her--and hopefully more of Kali with NLG.

Edited by krizmic, Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:14 PM.

samgracesmom

samgracesmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:11 PM

Sean was Robin's godfather, but then so was every other male in town

Truly is there another character is history who had as many godfathers. And as Sean just months earlier had kidnapped Holly and tried to kill Robert why exactly was he considered good godfather material?

I think he must have bought Robin a teddy bear or something! LOL! Actually, Sean saved Frisco's life during the Asian Quarter crap, so that negated everything he'd done before. Which was a shame really...I always preferred Evil!Sean.

Edited by samgracesmom, Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:11 PM.

WildCow

WildCow

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:41 PM

Georgianne was the one who did the Lazy Susan of Doom, right? After that was the recast?

IIRC, Mary O'Brien was playing Heather at the time. She was in between Georgianne and Robin.

Curiousvwr

Curiousvwr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

I stopped watching GH quite awhile ago. Caught it today as I was on the computer. Question, when did Carley become the shows #1 feamle star/heroine? When I was watching she was like a skank whore plague trying to be with who ever had the most money and influence.

How did GH manage to turn her into the star of the show? God, don't let the writers do that to AMC with Babe.

TikiGirl

TikiGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:28 PM

Curiousvwr:

When I was watching she was like a skank whore plague trying to be with who ever had the most money and influence.

How did GH manage to turn her into the star of the show?

Hee, this totally deserved repeating. Also, this question is maybe 50% of the reason the whole damned board exists. No one can figure it out, it's like one of life's biggest mysteries.

So can we use this as a new name? Skank!Whore!Plague!Carly. Double hee.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

SkankWhorePlague. Is that what really knocked out the citizens of PC...and not the monkey virus?

katygrl

katygrl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:32 PM

Sorry, already been done. Babeislove. Everybody loves Babe. Only mean, nasty bitchs Erica and Kendall hates Babe. And Colby, but she's a twit.

I don't hate Carly, it's just that she is not Carly Benson. She's obviously some other Carly who has taken over Carly Benson's life with nobody noticing. I want a Original Receipe!Carly vs. Elizabeth take down, but now that Liz's pregnant (and the kid is Lucky's not Borg's, m'kay?) I will wait until after February sweeps for the grandmother of all bitchslaps.

It would be damned good soap and could have tons of pay off. I'm sick of people dying, I'm done with it. Write them off or just don't ever mention them again, but I am nigh sick unto death of people dying on Soaps. Meh.

iheartminnesota

iheartminnesota

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:47 PM

Has anyone done a scientific calculation to determine the precise moment when everyone will put 100% of the blame for Kristina being traumatized by seeing a person gunned down on Alexis? I'm afraid it may be inevitable. I mean, Alexis was controlling Kristina, and probably used her cancer to manipulate (or, manipulate, if you will) Kristina into going to Kelly's with her. It was also her choice to undergo chemo, which probably prevented her from reaching top sprinting speed to reach Kristina in time.

thegourmez

thegourmez

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:55 PM

As Frisco and Felicia were the reason why GH became more than a blur to me at 5 years old, I LOVED that Felicia was a princess and so wanted to be her. She was just the prettiest person in the world!

I highly doubt I knew what an Aztec was then. Maybe GH was banking on us being an uneducated viewing audience then too?

Then again, I also have a Spanish last name (the Gomez in Gourmez) and don't look a thing like I'm from the lower Americas. Makes for entertaining conversation.

Edited by thegourmez, Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:56 PM.

LeatherJacket

LeatherJacket

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

Sarah Brown and Steve Burton were smoking. What with the no names, and ripping the condom wrapper open with his teeth

Oh, crap, I damn near burst into flames myself watching that scene for the first time. It's available on both Steve Burton Unleashed and on Hella Good, for those who might want to check it out. Just set aside your Jason/Carly hate and realize that they were different back then and - hooyah! Seriously.

Someone pages back (I can't find it) mentioned they'd like to see the Jason story from the crash forward. You can find that at Hella Good, too. Yes, you have to join, and it's totally worth it. One of the clippers there has posted everything from the accident on. All of the Jason s/l from 1996 is up with descriptions and links, and a large portion of 1997 is up, as well. If you'd really like to see it, there you go.

Ah, Richard Simmons. I, too, wondered what the hell all the screaming was about. He just annoyed the hell out of me. As I recall, he was one of the reasons that my viewing of GH never began again; I was bombarded with that flaming little butterball all over the place and I didn't want to watch him on my soap, too.

Oh,and just to add, in case anyone here was wondering. Yeah, cops don't normally shoot just because someone yells "Shoot!" in a frantic manner. Seriously. They're trained not to do that. But if it had to happen, why couldn't Ric have had them shoot Spinelli? I'd really like some sort of reassurance that the perma-baked little wastoid won't be back. Oh, and couldn't Pervy Prof. Pete have been caught in the crossfire? Please. Oh, well, maybe next time.

eta because it's always good when the links work.

Edited by LeatherJacket, Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:09 PM.

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:04 PM

Has anyone done a scientific calculation to determine the precise moment when everyone will put 100% of the blame for Kristina being traumatized by seeing a person gunned down on Alexis?

Oh, I don't think it's going to be blamed on Alexis. This one is going to be blamed on Ric. I'll even bet that Alexis herself will lead the charge. The police, after all, were only acting on orders related to Ric's vendetta against Jason, and by extension Sam. This is one time when Alexis won't be getting any crap because she'll align herself with Sonny against Ric. I think this is all part of realigning Alexis and Sonny as allies. Ric has now not only cheated on Alexis twice, once with her daughter; he's now put in motion events that placed Kristina in harm's way.

Never mind that all of the above is crap. This is one time that I think Alexis did fail as a parent - but I don't for a minute believe that it was in character for Alexis to let Kristina go off like that. It wasn't a plot point to set up Alexis, it was to set up Ric.

ETA, I thought it was equally preposterous a few months ago when Liz and Lulu were chatting on the docks and Liz set Cameron down and wandered off a few feet to talk to Lulu. But in that case, it was just to execute the scene, as opposed to contrivance to put a child in danger. But a toddler playing on a dock? Let's just say I wouldn't let go of my three-year-old, under those circumstances.

Edited by Hatpin, Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:07 PM.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

GF is breaking my GH hating heart.

queenbess

queenbess

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:11 PM

I stopped watching GH quite awhile ago. Caught it today as I was on the computer. Question, when did Carley become the shows #1 feamle star/heroine? When I was watching she was like a skank whore plague trying to be with who ever had the most money and influence.

Haha! Best introductory (if it is that) post EVAH!

AdAbsurdum

AdAbsurdum

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:11 PM

I don't care who's responsible for poor Kristina being traumatized. I'm just amazed at the piece of shit Sonny who's supposed to be the bestest father in the world and left her that way.

Thank God she's got her Uncle Jax to tell her stories. And for God's sake, ABC, give Jax a baby of his own! That man makes me melt in scenes with kids. I'm ready to rent out a new surrogate for him.

iheartminnesota

iheartminnesota

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:17 PM

I don't for a minute believe that it was in character for Alexis to let Kristina go off like that; but it wasn't a plot point to set up Alexis, it was to set up Ric.

This is very true. I guess I'm just used to playing the "how will these fools twist this event or circumstance to either be Alexis's fault or a demonstration that she's cold and controlling" game.

Which reminds me, I'm having a tough time with the "try to predict where Carly's warped logic will end up" game with respect to the eventual reveal that Liz's baby is Jason's. Since Carly already used her complete understanding of the order of the universe and thorough knowledge of the innermost thoughts and desires of all people she comes across to determine that the baby can't be Jason's because Liz isn't using it to "trap" him, how will she process this information? We all know that she couldn't possibly begin to accept that maybe Liz meant to put the safety of her child above a potential relationship with Jason. And we know that Carly would consider Lucky a worthless speck compared to Jason, so it wouldn't compute that Liz kept the paternity a secret to protect Lucky or try to make their marriage work by sacrificing the glorious Borg. It should be interesting to see what explanation she talks herself into.

carolyng

carolyng

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:18 PM

That's pretty much all Jax is now, is a babysitter so Carly and Sonny can take care of important mob bidness.
You know I was going to say on Friday when Carly was spouting all that nonsense about knowing in her heart that Jason was alive, how much of a patsy is Jax. She has firmly placed him fifth on the list behind her kids, Sonny and Jason. How much must her hooha glitter for him to put up with that, and now be relegated to chief babysitter.

Telaryn

Telaryn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:20 PM

Being an occasional-at-best watcher I can't comment on most of the Q&A stuff, but in the storyline you never saw but wish you had after reading about it category: what the heck was up with the Sword of Malkuth? From what little I've heard about it, it sounds deliriously cheesy...

Oh Gods, it was. Time has faded my memory of the experience, but I *definitely* remember David Gray kidnapping Robert, Luke, both Templeton sisters and Blackie holding them hostage in the main room of the Haunted Star until Luke confessed to where he'd hidden the sword.

The whole thing wrapped up with a full-on swordfight between Luke and David in the middle of the Port Charles museum.