NCIS: Now with 100% Less Navy

• Please log in to reply

36258 replies to this topic

Condorita

Condorita

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

Gibbs carries a lighter, too. We see him use it in the one where he lights the candles at the shrine in the Catholic church.

ResearchGeek

ResearchGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 4:15 PM

Must be one of "The Rules."

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

And I've never met a kid that age that liked that kind of jazz, but someone out there might've.

I think it would probably depend on what his parents listened to. As skripka2 said, lots of kids lean towards the music they heard a lot around the house.

I'd agree with it being what you heard growing up. Dad liked country music--Even though I enjoy classic rock and 80's metal bands, I've got a spot in my music collection for C.W. McCall, Tom T. Hall, Hank Sr., Waylon and Willie--all the ones on the radio growing up.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 5:37 PM

My question is ... what's DiNozzo doing with a lighter? If he keeps something in his pack for possible emergencies and the need to start fires, waterproof matches would be more logical than a lighter. I see a lighter, and I automatically think, "Oh ... he must smoke."

Waterproof matches are all well and good, but with a lighter couldn't you use some of the lighter fluid to help ignite your fire ie pour it over your kindling. Also, if you're there with a broken arm, it's easier to use a lighter one handed than matches.
A good survival kit would of course have both lighter and matches.

As to why Tony carries it, well it's probably a movie thing, since I'm sure there's plenty of classic movie scenes where the hero lights the heroine's cigarette with a flick of his lighter.

farwest

farwest

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

I vote for Tony carrying the lighter because he attends a lot of concerts. Remember the Deadhead connection a while back? Once a Deadhead always a Deadhead.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 8:53 AM

Maybe he carries the lighter for flirtation purposes.

Well, if you're going to make a motivator of it (and I agree, that's a great line),

I just might go for it myself. I just need a suitable picture. Like say one of SM or the brother that played Chip topless.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

Can somebody just sign Ziva up on JDate?

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

Ziva kicked so much ass tonight. I was very impressed. That being said I didn't care for tonight's episode much. I felt bad for the marine throughout the show. I guess it was mostly because there was no mystery to the episode.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Good, solid, enjoyable episode tonight. I like slightly more dramatic NCIS we've been seeing lately. There was still enough humor to balance it, although I thought they went overboard with the movie references tonight. I counted three, plus two comic book shout-outs.

Based on spoilers, I thought the team would be a little more injured than they were. Is this the first time McGee has gotten hurt? (Other than getting poison ivy, I mean).

funkymunky

funkymunky

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

Ziva was great tonight. I kinda felt bad for her when Abby was freaking out over Tony and McGee but not her.

I loved Tony on painkillers, but the constant movie references are getting to be a bit much for me too, 88keys.

Interesting look at the defense contracting industry as well.

Edited by funkymunky, Nov 27, 2007 @ 10:07 PM.

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

I enjoyed this one; the twist, such as it was, got me. Ziva+Ninja skills? Definitely awesome.

I thought I was going to be more coherent, but the pills are kicking in. Tomorrow, maybe.

Wyn

Wyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 12:13 AM

Actually, I know it won't happen, but for some reason I think it would be interesting to see Ziva form some sort of relationship with the Marine. Friendship at least, but more? Dunno - I'd have to see how things go. I mean, on one hand she seemed...interested in him after the initial fight, and there was that strange occurrence in the hospital room when he freaked out, and she didn't seem that intense/angry toward him at the end (and apparently Gibbs understood as well.) But on the other hand I don't know how she feels about what he did (which I'm just gonna ignore because the implausibility of it just didn't work for me all that much.) I would think she would be sympathetic to the idea of what he did in order to be Marine and serve his country (as an Mossad agent herself she would understand the lengths you go to), but she might have issues with him because of how it all played out. <Shrug> I'm a fan of NCIS and Ziva. I think it would be nice if she allowed herself to be interested in someone other than Tony (which, is a whole other kettle of fish.) I remember the jogger/nuclear inspector from seasons past and that really seemed to work (which I think did work because it was outside NCIS.)

dqsidekick

dqsidekick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

edited

Edited by dqsidekick, Mar 11, 2009 @ 6:27 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 1:04 AM

HaHAH! But actually, I agree with Wyn-- I kind of like the idea of her with a Marine. Friendship, relationship... as long as Tony/Ziva isn't being shoved down our throats.

Question: was this the last new NCIS episode because of the strike? Or are they just waiting to air the remaining new episodes?

Robert Loblaw

Robert Loblaw

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 1:42 AM

Loved the Zivanator tonight, but HATE they way the writers have dumbed down my Abbs the last few eps. Yes, she is emotional, but never dumb-emotional.

And catray - TV Guide does not have NCIS on their list - so please, if anyone out there knows how many shows left, be sure to post.

Edited by Robert Loblaw, Nov 28, 2007 @ 1:46 AM.

TasteMyRainbow

TasteMyRainbow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 1:55 AM

I'm a fan of NCIS and Ziva. I think it would be nice if she allowed herself to be interested in someone other than Tony...

After tonight's little invasion of space, can I vote for Ziva/Abby?

Did they both seem strangely out of character in that scene? Abby was a befuzzled mess with flappy hands and Ziva was emotional, openly compassionate and actually touchy. Plus, faced with the bruised Ziva kneeling right in front of her I really don't think Abby would leave her out of the 'he hurt my friends' list. I mean, it's not like Tony and McGee were in comas or something.

I also loved the Zivanator. I especially like the push that floored him about six feet through the air after she got punched in the face. Also liked the takedown of the orderly. I wonder if they've actually trained de Pablo a little in Krav Maga, the Israeli army's self-defense program, because it looked like it tonight.

Adeema

Adeema

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 2:16 AM

NCIS fan liason Harriet posted that 11 episodes will make it to air, tonight was number ten.

Filming was complete last week and spoiler fix has that ep listed as airing december/january?

The next two eps are repeats, both which have Mann in them, her first one and the one with the gross beginning.......

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 2:48 AM

Okay, I watched my first episode of this show at the gym tonight. My mom loves it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I know nothing about anyone. But I would love to see Ziva date the Marine. That had awesomeness in it.

On the other hand.....was any particle of this plot based on actual science? It seemed beyond ridiculous. I have heard of drug masking agents, especially for steroids, but all the rest seemed like science fiction.

mcree

mcree

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 3:16 AM

I particularly liked when Tony asked, "Ziva, did you kill Houdini?" and she deadpanned, "It is possible. I do not remember all their names." And how does she know how good Gibbs' six-pack is?

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 4:45 AM

On the other hand.....was any particle of this plot based on actual science? It seemed beyond ridiculous. I have heard of drug masking agents, especially for steroids, but all the rest seemed like science fiction.

The PTSD stuff was fairly correct but extremely basic, and they naturally didn't address the true situation in the VA where many of the returning vets are getting turned down for PTSD treatment for various half-arsed reasons. The steroid stuff is in the ballpark too; steroid-driven rage is a known problem. However, the basic thread is Super-Soldier Serum, complete with wink to Captain America. The rest of the lab stuff is pretty much in the DARPA research path -- essentially turning science fiction into working science and tech.

Abby seemed out of character tonight. While I understand her upset at the team getting hurt, Abby being lacking in empathy is jarring.

Edited by Wyldemusick, Nov 28, 2007 @ 4:47 AM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 7:32 AM

I thought tonites episodes started out with a strong anti-war message then as they found out the Marine did it to himself the message was forgotten. Almost like there were 2 teams of writers who didn't read each other's stuff. At least no one was killed tonite!

ResearchGeek

ResearchGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 8:02 AM

What was last night? Some left-over script from Season 3? Or maybe a script that the writers slammed together right before going on strike. I thought it sucked. Well ... at least, the half of it I watched. At the half-way mark, I started switching back and forth with Bones.

I knew we were going to see SuperZiva all night, and that didn't bother me all that much. I mean, we know she has insane fighting skills and would be the one most likely to take on the big bad Marine. But then to turn her into his savior too? That was a bit much. And silly, juvenile, ridiculous Abby? Where did THAT come from? "I don't want to help him because he hurt my friends?" What are you, ten years old? From my place on the "I Heart Tony" bench, I have to say that I was totally disappointed in him. Last year, we get all this growth ... all this "serious, capable Tony" stuff. Last night, we have to endure all the movie references, the whole six-pack thing at the beginning, and the fact that Ziva and McGee are able to be injured and go immediately back to work, but Tony and his broken nose have to be on meds that make him loopy and incompetent. Come ON, writers! It's not like Tony's never been injured before -- football star in college ... years on police forces ... other injuries at NCIS. Why, over a little broken nose, is Tony on massive mood-altering pain-killers when McGee and his shoulder and Ziva and her head apparently don't need them?

And let's not even touch the whole "not as good as Gibbs" six-pack comment. Sure, Ziva probably saw him without his shirt in the gym, but the implication and her delivery just squicked me out (as I also inhabit the "No Shipping" bench).

I could have cared less about the Marine, especially after the heavy-duty anti-war message was delivered.

The worst part? Bones wasn't all that good either.

Vani820

Vani820

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 8:14 AM

but Tony and his broken nose have to be on meds that make him loopy and incompetent.

I know, but his "my fingers are... fingering" still made me giggle.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 8:49 AM

From my place on the "I Heart Tony" bench, I have to say that I was totally disappointed in him.

He was only loopy for about one scene, though. After that, he seemed back to normal to me. I admit, I can't comment on the use of painkillers at all because I've never broken a bone, dislocated anything, or broken my nose. This stuff was all outside my realm of experience.

I did like the twist. It was kind of sad, but a nice change from the evil big companies and government.

ResearchGeek

ResearchGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

Tony was loopy from painkillers for only one scene, but we had the ridiculous "worthy of S2 or S3" thing at the beginning with the whole "Been workin' out" and "No, seriously, punch me" bit. Not to mention the rapid-fire movie references and impersonations. What -- he's making up for lost time? It's like both Tony and Abby have regressed while McGee and Ziva continue to grow. I realize that the writers have to make someone the butt of jokes, now that Palmer and Lee seem to be gone, but still.

Edited by ResearchGeek, Nov 28, 2007 @ 9:18 AM.

Condorita

Condorita

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:08 AM

Broken noses hurt. A lot. A helluva lot. In their own way, even as bad as, or worse than, ribcage injuries. Had both. Don't want either again.

And what the hell were Gibbs' Silver Star and Purple Heart doing in Tony's desk? The NCIS awards I can understand, but his Corps awards? Asinine. Ridiculous. Lacking utterly in reasonable explanation.

GymDude

GymDude

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:14 AM

The steroid stuff is in the ballpark too; steroid-driven rage is a known problem.

Yes, this is a known problem . . . on TV and in the movies. However, it has no basis in fact and has has no scientific validity.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:29 AM

I can understand people maybe being a little tired of Tony's constant movie references, especially when there are a bunch in one episode, but I will never be annoyed with them. Why? Because last night he referenced one of my favorite classic movies of all time, The Greatest Show on Earth. Jimmy Stewart, Charlton Heston, fun circus stuff, train crash in the era before high tech special effects, directed by Cecil B. DeMille. I just love that movie so much and Tony has just earned all kinds of extra credit with me. :)

Oh, and by the way, Nielsen Media Research has put out the Top TV Ratings for last week (Nov. 19-25) and NCIS came in at #5! And was actually #2 among scripted shows (two installments of Dancing with the Stars and Sunday Night Football took up spots #1-3 and Desperate Housewives was #4).

Edited by Zoned Out, Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:34 AM.

farwest

farwest

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:38 AM

I enjoyed this for the plot twist and Ziva kicking ass. I hope the writers start writing Abbey like she normally is, this baby Abbey sucked.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:45 AM

I guess I'm in the minority, I didn't like SuperNinja!Ziva. I should add, I *never* like SuperNinja!Ziva, so this is nothing new.

I know that I don't understand the principles of martial arts (at least, the real life principles - movies are a whole other thing!), but it always looks so implausible to me that such a tiny woman can really take down such a strong large person, especially one hyped up on 'roid rage. I know that strength isn't everything, of course, and that a smaller person can take down a larger person based on techniques and stuff, but it looks so weird to me. Was what she was doing "real" martial arts of some sort that would allow her to do this?
It is amusing that only Ziva can take down someone that Gibbs can't. Has there ever been an episode where Tony or McGee have taken down someone that Gibbs hasn't?

I realize I'm rambling a bit, but as much as I like Ziva most of the time, I just didn't like her last night.

BTW, what I found the most funny last night was about Tony on painkillers. I'm a fan fiction reader, and it is almost universal "fanon" that Tony absolutely hates painkillers and will do anything to avoid them...and that's including whenever he is shot or severely beaten up or gone through major surgery in all the hurt!comfort fics written about him. He used them in this episode for a simple broken nose! Wimp!