NCIS: Now with 100% Less Navy

• Please log in to reply

36259 replies to this topic

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:37 AM

Good episode. Liked how Vance teared up when he was thinking about his daughter- very realistic. I also liked the cleansing storyline and his Tony wasn't even that mad at Tim- he would rather just eat a steak.

I also liked that they didn't go the route of the rapist being her commanding officer, or one of her JO buddies, and the officer hugging her friend at the end made me tear up.

webruce

webruce

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

When they went on the ship to talk about the body that got run over I wondered if Comm. Wexler had something to do with it. At that time I didn't think Ensign Holly Farrell had anything to do with it.
 Farrell did a nice job of first trying to cover up, but the team slowly wore her down. Gibbs and then Abby helped a lot. Good they found out about Lt.Monica King being in similar fashion 3 years ago, and a total of 9 assaulted in same way. My wife thought to when Gibbs talked to Commander Clarence Daniels that maybe it was him. But with Commander Louis Wexler there with him it was clear to me.
 Felt bad for the bartender Fred Johnson who threw out Ensign Lester Tate after his fight. He bounced off the dumpster just like when Tony and Bishop were chasing Eddie Patch." You can't beat a well placed dumpster," said Tony, laughing.
 I do like Special Agent Maureen Cabot. "Mo" later gave an agitated Wexler a nice shot to the throat.
 I figured Tim and Tony's cleansing process wouldn't hold up. But Tim cheating with sausage? He did buy all 3 of them steaks after.  

Was nice at end when Thomas Burke hugged his friend Holly Farrell when she headed back to ship. She gave him the Gibb's slap. Abby almost got one then Gibbs hugged her.

Also liked the public service announcement at end of show, hoped it helped someone.

cynnie

cynnie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:33 AM

Hated Abby's acting and her speech in this episdoe.  Nothing she said would have  moved me to change my mind.  In fact some of the things she said made me want to punch her, but I can't remember what now.

BBG

BBG

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

This episode was fine, but it bugged me a bit because of course the XO was the rapist; once the other JOs and the ex-con were eliminated, there were no other charcters that we had been introduced to.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

What I liked was that the cases were related but not linear.  The ensign who was killed was not killed as he was trying to defend his fellow officer from being assulted, for example.  He knew about the assult and was posthumously involved in that storyline, but his death turned out to to be a tragic accident related to behavior in a bar.  I found it very realistic that things were related without being connected at every point.

Kelli Williams' character can return again.  I liked her.

Ratings are not terrific, though, which I find disappointing.  I believe TVLine reported 16.0/2.1.

ETA: (2.1, 16.7 million)

http://tvline.com/20...-1/#more-509888

Edited by Ohmo, Apr 16, 2014 @ 1:36 PM.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

That was my reaction, too, cynnie. I wanted to punch Abby so hard. It was the hyper-emotional reaction to the rape victim, wanting to hug her and be her bestest bud in 0.2 seconds. She said she didn't want people treating her differently or giving her pitying looks. Way to totally not do that Abby [/sarcasm]. And for the victim to react by letting her hug her and start cooperating - completely unrealistic, especially based on what the victim had said earlier about not wanting everyone knowing and making it obvious that they knew.

eyewatchtv

eyewatchtv

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:12 PM

[I miss] Zeva. I miss the incorrect grammar references like "pin in a haystack." She was right, pin would be harder than needle.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:59 AM.
Talking about viewers is boards on boards

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:42 PM

I fucking hated those.  Much like everything about Abby, those were endearing at first but quickly far too overplayed.  Everything in moderation, yeah?

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 3:17 AM

I think this show is far better than it has been in years now that Ziva is gone.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:12 PM

I think this show is far better than it has been in years now that Ziva is gone.

Agreed a thousand times!  I'm glad that Cote chose to pursue other opportunities and freed NCIS from the shackles of her insufferable character.

I agree that Bishop may never light the world on fire, but I don't need her to, nor do I really want her to.  I like her perfectly fine as is because I've gotten to see McNozzo, I've met the awesome Dellilah, Gibbs has smiled more times that I've remembered in years, and generally the air that Ziva (and Ziva/Tony) spent sucking out of the canvas has been replaced with things that I find far more enjoyable.

If NCIS ends after next year, I'd be sad, but I'd also be OK with that.  We'll have had 2 Ziva-less years at the end of the series, which is a bonus that I'd never thought I'd get to experience.  As much as the character is loved by her fans, that is how much that I dislike her.  Ziva David is a charicature to me, and that's why I've always disagreed with the perception that she was strong.  TPTB (of many regimes) made her so special, and then when special didn't work, she became like the Perils of Pauline----with tragedy upon tragedy heaped upon her.  She is one of the least strong and overly-manufactured characters on TV, IMO.  May she rarely return from Israel.

HoneyB

HoneyB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:32 PM

The Abby centric episode last year was one of the lowest rated episodes of the season.  I think advertising it as a special episode about sexual assault probably turned a lot of people off.  It was probably one of the few times I didn't watch the show live.  Whenever they try to do message episodes they always come off too preachy and simplistic.  

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Whenever they try to do message episodes they always come off too preachy and simplistic.

I understand what you're saying (and on some level I agree), but this is a very relevant topic to the Navy right now, and I really love how Glasberg is trying to return the naval aspect to the show.  It has long been said that NCIS the show has done positive things for the recruitment of NCIS the agency.  The preachiness and simplicity that you refer to is, I think, a function of the procedural genre.  NCIS is not ever going to be West Wing or Mad Men, and it would be odd if it attempted to come across that way.  Yet, it is a popular way to reach people, so I think for what NCIS is, it did a good job with the episode.  Some preachiness and simplicity is just going to happen (Hello Blue Bloods), but I think TPTB managed it decently.  Abby wasn't driving the storyline, and I totally thought that's how it would play because she's often the "cause" character.  She still was that here, but her participation was dialed back, I thought.

Kelli Williams character brought a terrific sense of reserved respect and seriousness to the canvas, and while it was a tad obvious for Leon to mention his daughter, at least TPTB went there instead of trying to make some connection to Kelly, for example.  I don't think the episode was perfect, but I wasn't watching a PSA produced by the U.S. government that would likely be scripted and revised for sensitivity and appropriateness a bunch of times.  Even with the episode's flaws, it may be more accessible and non-threatening than a "formal" PSA video might come across to a woman who may be dealing with this issue.  There's always the unfortunate possibility of the reverse being true, but I still commend the overall attempt and hope the help it might bring about is more than the harm it might cause.

Shadda

Shadda

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Agreed a thousand times!  I'm glad that Cote chose to pursue other opportunities and freed NCIS from the shackles of her insufferable character.

I agree that her character became insufferable, but I don't blame Cote for that.  The writers simply got into a rut and didn't have the talent or gravitas or even apparently the energy to get themselves out or said rut.  I think the characters of Tony and Ziva had a lot of chemistry, but it was never written in a way that could have made their dynamic fun and entertaining.  The interview with MW and SM was very telling.  It was nice to see MW finally feeling free to say what he thought about what was happening to his character over the previous seasons.  

As for this episode, I agree with most of you that aside from Abby, it was a good episode.  I like Abby, for the most part, but her always being the "heart" of the show is annoying.  She is just tooooooo much and comes off as being more interested in being politically correct than being sincere.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

I agree that her character became insufferable, but I don't blame Cote for that.

To be clear since I'm the one that you quoted, I never said that I blame Cote for that.  As I stated, I am glad that she chose to pursue other opportunities because her decision to make such a choice enabled NCIS to be freed from a character who I felt became insufferable.  As far as I'm concerned, it was one of rthe best decisions for all involved.  Cote wanted to move on to a different aspect of her life, and that decision forced the writers to look at the show in a way it hadn't been looked at in years.  Just because I think her decision was related to freeing her insufferable character from the canvas doesn't mean I think Cote's insufferable.  Ziva is not Cote, but I'm glad that a decision for Cote resulted in the departure of Ziva.

Shadda

Shadda

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Sorry, I read your first post wrong.  I do agree with you, her moving on has really gotten the writers to sit up and take notice regarding what they were doing.  The show was becoming so rote that it was hard to tell one episode from the next.  The only differences were who happened to be angsting that week, either Gibbs or Ziva.  I just wish they had gotten the message earlier.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 PM

I loved the "cleansing" and the three of them especially all the eating Bishop was doing in front of Tony

But in reallity not actually eating .Pauley  pointed out on Twitter that Emily is a vegetarian so she never actually ate the bacon and egg butty or the chilli fries .

McGee has apparently snagged 'Little Tony' .It was on the shelf behind his desk.

itsmeyousee

itsmeyousee

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 PM

But in reallity not actually eating .Pauley  pointed out on Twitter that Emily is a vegetarian so she never actually ate the bacon and egg butty or the chilli fries .

Great acting then i believed Bishop had been eating in front of Tony all day LOL I enjoyed the way they did the humour rather than in your face like the voodoo doll. I thought was more conversational and showed the dynamics between the three of them and Bishop really a part of that.

McGee has apparently snagged 'Little Tony' .It was on the shelf behind his desk.

I did notice that which i really liked but it made Tony being freaked by it last week even stranger, why isn't he freaked anymore especially when his emotions were heighten from hunger.

Edited by itsmeyousee, Yesterday, 11:20 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

McGee has apparently snagged 'Little Tony'

Oh good lord, there has been fanfic about that for years!!!:)

AWildCard

AWildCard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 12:23 AM

I just don't see why all this couldn't have happened before. 

That's been my general reaction this entire season.  

I love that interview with Sean and Michael and McNozzo has become one of my favorite parts of the show.

I'm glad they did this episode.  Abby can be too much but she was okay here because she wasn't acting like a child.  Abby is earnest but she could compel me to do almost anything just so she'd leave me in peace. I like that they didn't make this a "special episode" even if it was promoted as such unfortunately.

If NCIS ends after next year, I'd be sad, but I'd also be OK with that.

I'd be sad too but then 12 seasons is a long time for any show to be on the air.  As long as I continue to see McNozzo and the team as competent agents who enjoy each other's company I'll be OK with whenever it ends.   

Edited by AWildCard, Today, 12:31 AM.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Today, 02:00 PM

That's been my general reaction this entire season.

I think that comes in at least some part that Glasberg inherited Tony/Ziva.  Shane Brennan thought they were fantastic,  By the time that Glasberg arrived on the scene, Tony/Ziva had a following, and they were prominent.  I don't think that's Glasberg's particular style.  He's a lighter guy in tone, which is why I think Bishop has an off-screen husband and Deliah and McGee have a lighness about them even though she had a serious accident.  Glasberg gives me the impression that he doesn't see any dynamic betwwen characters as "heavy" in the long-term.  He'll do it in the short-term, such as when Delilah was in the hospital or for the seriousness of last week's episode. 

Whatever any particular fan's opinion is about Tony/Ziva, I think a safe statement would be that it was "heavy" as lead by the time Glasberg got it, and I think he was stuck.  He couldn't get rid of it, and there was so much baggage associated with it that it was difficult to lighten.  I remember several posters who were in to Tony/Ziva complaining that Glasberg couldn't write for them, and I find that to be resoundingly accurate after watching S11.  I LOVE Glasberg's relaxed vision in S11, and I think that is his style.

He probably could have tried to be more relaxed with the pre-S11 stuff that wasn't Tony/Ziva, but I theorize that it was difficult for him to meld the two styles.  Once Cote made her decision, I think Glasberg felt that the deck was clear, making it easier to lighten.