NCIS: Now with 100% Less Navy

• Please log in to reply

36263 replies to this topic

anna0852

anna0852

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

I like the idea of Anna Belknap being brought in as the replacement. If this is handled right, it could work very well. CSI:NY pulled off bringing Sela Ward for Melina and ran 3 more seasons. A more mature woman, especially one who is married and highly experienced, could bring a very different dynamic to the show.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

If they do that I could see Emily Procter from CSI: Miami

Oh, please, no. That's one actress I just can't bear to watch. She seems like a lovely person, and I like her in interviews, but when she acts, she sounds like she's reading her lines off cue cards and having a hard time sounding out the big words. I can never shake the awareness that she's an actress saying lines. It's not her accent, since I'm from the south and the accent sounds normal to me. She just seems like she's trying so hard to manage to say the lines that she has nothing left for acting, doing stuff like putting emotion into what she's saying or portraying a character. I barely made it through the season finale of White Collar with her on it. I'd hate to give up on NCIS because the cringing is giving me cramps.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

I will miss Cote.

I will NOT miss TIVA.

I wish that they didn't kill off Jessica Steen's character Paula Cassidy. She would have been such an excellent replacement--no need for awkward getting to know you phase. She can jump right in and start working. Thanks for killing off the character for the sake of a stupid plot involving The Frog's tadpole.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Natalie Martinez is too young. They wouldn't be able to resist making her a love interest to somebody (as they did in Detroit 1-8-7 and CSI: NY).

Jessica Steen would have been great, but dumbasses had to kill off Paula Cassidy.

Somebody in their 40s would be best, IMO. First that comes off of my head is Maria Bello, who played a cop damn well in Prime Suspect. I miss that show...

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:14 PM

Natalie Martinez is too young. They wouldn't be able to resist making her a love interest to somebody (as they did in Detroit 1-8-7 and CSI: NY).

Yes, I agree, that could be an issue.

Jessica Steen would have been great, but dumbasses had to kill off Paula Cassidy.

Absolutely agree!

Somebody in their 40s would be best, IMO. First that comes off of my head is Maria Bello, who played a cop damn well in Prime Suspect. I miss that show...

Maria Bello is an acquired taste for me.  Sometimes I can handle her, but sometimes she grates on my last nerve.  Same with Emily Proctor.

Kathryn Morris?  Diane Farr (even though her voice has a tendency to drive me nuts)?  Maygen E?  (She was on CSI: Miami at the end and Made in Jersey, but her last name is very long, and I can't spell it.)  Kari Patchett?  Alana de la Garza?  I'd still also be fine with Anna Belknap as a selection.

Too bad that Kelly Hu and Abby Brammell have already been characters on the show.  They would have been good choices.

Definitely NOT Eva La Rue or Amy Jo Johnson

Edited by Ohmo, Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:15 PM.

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

I thought I read somewhere that she was offered the job but turned it down. Same for SG Atlantis.

I get the impression that there's a network executive giving orders to kill the characters of actresses especially that don't want to work for them. I heard that's what happend to Kate, the actress said it was too much or something and bam-gone. I wouldn't be surprised if  the did the samething with Jessica Steen-don't want to work fulltime for us buh-bye. Same for Jenny's character although I must admit she played a much better boss than the center of the story character.

Personally I think many a network  or production company executive take things personally and kill off characters to send a message. If you want to work for us you do it on our terms, not yours-no reoccuring characters and/or guest appearances for you.

It's Cote's decision. I don't think she cares either way. Although there might be slight chance they can reel her back/she left the door open. If negotiations were that nasty or contentious I don't think either one would've agreed to "properly" take her character off the show.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

I really don't think that killing off the characters of actors who choose to leave is any kind of revenge or vindictiveness. I imagine writers relish the rare chance to play the "nobody's safe" game. Most of the time, we know our main cast will survive, which limits the suspense a little. But if a cast member is leaving, then they have an opportunity to kill a main character and really shake things up. From what I understand, when Kate was killed, they managed to keep the secret, so it was a real shock (I wasn't watching then). It would be hard as a writer to resist the temptation to use the off-screen situation for impact, to have a cliffhanger that doesn't involve your regular character miraculously surviving, and that has nothing to do with punishing the actor. I think if I were an actor, I'd rather play a juicy death scene in my final episode than just be written out. Let my departure have some kind of impact. Would we still be talking about Kate and Paula all these years later if they'd just moved on to other assignments?

Bravos Brava

Bravos Brava

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

I wish CdP all best in her future endeavors.

I'm in agreement with those who hope that her leaving will allow for reboots of Abby and Tony; even Gibbs would benefit the show.  Quite honestly until the announcement of her leaving I was planning on checking out S.H.I.E.L.D. and recording NCIS.

Since all the cool kids are doing it, my suggestion for a new character is Janel Moloney (West Wing).  I do get she’s probably not the first choice to play a cop, but NCIS agents, as portrayed on the show, are not just cops but crime scene investigators, so I could see her playing a character that is more cerebral. 

Tony is supposed to be the street smart cop, McGee is the tech-genius, Gibbs trusts his [magical] gut above all else.  The new character could allow for others to shine while shining herself as an academic.  Maybe she’s been teaching at FLETC, while raising a child…she’s married to a deployed Army or Air Force officer.  That’s my story, at least, and I’m sticking to it :)

Anna Belknap would also be an excellent choice, I'd support wholeheartedly.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Don't know if this is "lore" or not, but I've repeatedly read that there was friction between DPB and Sasha when she said she wanted to leave.  He referenced giving her a big exit story for dramatic purposes in one of the DVD commentaries, but there's been speculation through the years that that was his public excuse.  His private one, as the speculation goes, is that he was so annoyed at her for leaving that he wanted to ensure she could never return.

On the chance that any of that could possibly be true, I appreciated GG's references to Kate that he has done through the years.  I can accept that Sasha wanted to leave, but I didn't like the notion of DPB actively trying to make Kate disappear from the show.  I don't think CBS would give a directive to be vengeful, but i do see DPB being vengeful to someone.

Edited by Ohmo, Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:59 PM.

jen419

jen419

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Okay I can't help but chime in here - I've always liked Regina King, of the recently canceled show Southland. I'd love to see her, or another African American actress, on this show.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

Please don't talk about "the X fans" or "the X haters" or what "the NCIS fans on the Internet" think. It's all boards-on-boards, because you're no longer talking about the show, you're talking about the people who watch the show. And unless you have access to hard data, you have no idea what "most" fans or Internet viewers or whatever think, so it's a pointless argument. Just talk about the show, or continue speculating on how they will handle Ziva's departure/replacement. Thanks.

jessdvd

jessdvd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

I don't really have an opinion on the person playing a new agent (hopefully actress but we'll see), but I would like to see something like filling the role internally from NCIS, perhaps someone making a lateral move from one team to this one or something like that, thus avoiding the probie business. Definitely would prefer it to be a married woman in her 40s who has no UST or really any kind of ST with anyone other than her mostly off-screen husband.

I really hope they'll take this opportunity to fix some of the things that bug me about the show, which have all been thoroughly canvassed here but I'll probably have to get over that. If any PTB are reading, please please please abandon butt of the joke, constantly one-upped Tony. Please!

I've always liked Regina King, of the recently canceled show Southland.

And now contradicting my first statement... she would be great! CBS, please!

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

Ohmo, I've heard from someone who would know that it's true about DPB & Sasha Alexander.  He was pissed.

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

Ironically, I think creatively it was CdP who suffered most when DPB left.

Apparently, both Marina Sirtis as Orli and Karina Lombard as Monique are confirmed for episode 2 of season 11. Great. The goodbye to a major character woven into the fabric of the show for 8 years will be overrun by guest stars. Perfectly Gary Glasberg, that's for sure.

I don't think GG has it in him creatively to re-boot the way DPB could when SA left. For one thing, that was season 3, this is season 11. The other characters are far more tied to Ziva than they ever were to Kate because of 8 years of interactions. For another, GG just isn't a risk-taker. He's embraced the "fit into a box" mentality NCIS has become. Dealing with something like this is NOT up his alley.

They'll have to figure out what to do with Tony. They can't just have him not be devastated, that wouldn't fit what they've built up. This has to be different than the way he dealt with others leaving his life to some extent. It would also be a slap in the face to the fans they courted so much, last season especially. How long and where he goes from here is another story.

I'm in to watch how they finish this up for CdP - and I don't believe any of the "numbers" I'm seeing in terms of salary as pretty much nothing has been officially reported in recent years. I'm not even sure I think this was strictly a money issue. But after CdP is gone, so am I. The show just doesn't hold that interest for me anymore outside of Ziva, and I'm not going to force it. I highly doubt they'll kill Ziva though. Not GG's style.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:30 PM

I've always liked Regina King

I never saw Regina King in Southland, but I know I've seen her in her earlier work.  She'd be another good choice.

Thanks for the confirmation, kkowalski.  (BTW, I sent you a PM.)

Edited by Ohmo, Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:30 PM.

AWildCard

AWildCard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

Well at least they are guest stars related to Ziva in some way.  I'm intrigued.  Monique's storyline was left in the air.  How will these three women of Mossad work with each other.

After DPB, Ziva was given some big storylines, some of the biggest storylines she's had, so I can't get on board with the idea that her character didn't benefit in anyway after DPB left.  All subsequent show runners made her presence bigger and more important on the show.  McGee was the one to suffer after DPB left.  Look at his storylines or lack thereof.

I'm not sure what Tony will be dealt with after Ziva leaves, however that happens.  It depends on what kind of exit she has.  If she's killed off then it's devastating.  If something else happens, who knows.

Edited by AWildCard, Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:41 PM.

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

If Tony is to be devestated Perhaps a "Death" an execution for Ziva , folowing a trial in Israel.
Faked of course she wold work for Mossaad Secretly
Just a thought .
It would provide closure for the team , but leave the door wide open.

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

Why should Tony be devastated?  Until he thought Ziva was dead he was okay with her being gone. He was anxious to find another agent for the team, a woman.  I think he'll be just fine.  Please don't bring Ziva back.  Have her done and gone.  If she pulls a Jorja Fox and returns to NCIS, make her start at the lowest salary.

Lyssanick

Lyssanick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

My preferance would be for her to leave to rebuild Mossad/leave D.C. in any way, shape, or form, but have her and Tony either remain in enough touch, or even potentially in a relationship, so that when the show ends (I'm giving it 1-2 more years, tops), he can leave to go w/ her. Satisfies the TIVAs, the anti-TIVAs, and allows for a potential reboot. 

Also, I love the Janel Moloney suggestion. I miss her on my TV. 

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

Since season 7, Tony's talked about missing Ziva when she was off with Ray, has some sort of growing feelings for her, and has talked openly about them being closer. As for ToC, there were definite insinuations that all those applicants just weren't Ziva, they all had a small part of her and it didn't work for Tony. That was the symbolism imo. It would make zero sense to me if he's not devastated to be losing his partner. Even if she is alive somewhere else. He would clearly go through a period of missing her strongly, and if the show pretends otherwise, like he's just A-OK, that does not fit with what they've written the last few years.

After DPB, Ziva was given some big storylines, some of the biggest storylines she's had, so I can't get on board with the idea that her character didn't benefit in anyway after DPB left.  All subsequent show runners made her presence bigger and more important on the show.  McGee was the one to suffer after DPB left.  Look at his storylines or lack thereof.

I should clarify - I mean quality of writing, not quantity. I agree, Ziva's been given a lot to do. She was treated as the lead female, second tier lead with Tony behind Gibbs. I meant since DBP left I think she's the one the writers have most struggled with in terms of finding her voice. They just didn't "get" her the way he did, as well as David North who left a while ago. They piled on the tragedy and the mystery, but lost the fun part of Ziva. It almost made it worse that they gave her so many stories as the leading female because they just never really got how to write her. IMO

I don't really care what kind of plot they come up with, this is one instance I agree the show is about the characters, not the crimes. Ziva's departure has to be mainly focused on her relationships with Gibbs and Tony for the audience's closure, not a ton of screen time with the various guest stars.

kmm45

kmm45

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

Since I think CBS has done a great casting job on this show I wouldn't be too worried who they're going to replace her with.

I saw Emily Proctor last season on White Collar and her acting was bad and her looks made her unrecognizable.

If she pulls a Jorja Fox and returns to NCIS, make her start at the lowest salary.

Jorja, who? A perfect example of CBS letting a ship couple take over the show. It was so good before that. A perfect example of what not to do, NCIS, even in closure.

How about Anna Chlumsky? She's done some work recently on other shows in guest starring roles.

Not wanting to cast a younger girl again someone mentioned an older woman in her 40s that would be great. Now I've got to think of an actress...

How about Ming-Na Wen? She's in her 40s. Oops! She's going to be on an ABC show in the fall I believe. It won't last so NCIS can grab her then!

Maria Bello is an acquired taste for me.

I haven't seen her work but know who she is. I wouldn't rule her out as a replacement. She's a good possibility.

Edited by kmm45, Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:36 PM.

BungalowSummer

BungalowSummer

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

I'm a long-time lurker on this thread, first-time poster.

I feel that if they "finish Ziva's story" by killing her off, it would be the final chapter in NCIS' history of dealing death for departing female agents. I first started watching NCIS on the USA marathons, so I got a lot of show history in a condensed way. It struck me that within a few weeks, I saw one female agent after another get killed off. We know the list of names: Kate, Jennie, Cassidy, Agent Lee, Macy. It was more than a little disturbing.

It would be nice for Ziva to continue her journey away from ex-Mossad assassin. She's an American citizen now, something she wanted and worked hard to get. Her father is dead and avenged, supposedly. The man who made her "the sharp end of the spear" died lying to her about a murder he committed to keep his cover. What better time to look for something more in life than liars, murderers, terrorists and death?

Could someone with a history like Ziva's find happiness and a full life without a knife in her boot and a pistol in a back holster?

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

We know the list of names: Kate, Jennie, Cassidy, Agent Lee, Macy. It was more than a little disturbing.

As well as the non-agent, but wife of the director, Jackie.  To me, there is some deep seated misogyny going on with these writers.  

I think the blonde actress that played CJ is one of the few main female characters that hasn't bit the dust when they leave/get written off the show.  (which was odd, considering how freaking horrible that character was- to say nothing of the actress)

Edited by callietwo, Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:28 PM.

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

I really don't think that killing off the characters of actors who choose to leave is any kind of revenge or vindictiveness. I imagine writers relish the rare chance to play the "nobody's safe" game. Most of the time, we know our main cast will survive, which limits the suspense a little. But if a cast member is leaving, then they have an opportunity to kill a main character and really shake things up. From what I understand, when Kate was killed, they managed to keep the secret, so it was a real shock (I wasn't watching then). It would be hard as a writer to resist the temptation to use the off-screen situation for impact, to have a cliffhanger that doesn't involve your regular character miraculously surviving, and that has nothing to do with punishing the actor. I think if I were an actor, I'd rather play a juicy death scene in my final episode than just be written out. Let my departure have some kind of impact. Would we still be talking about Kate and Paula all these years later if they'd just moved on to other assignments?

Yes a juicy death would be nice. BUT you can't tell me there are alot of actors and actresses are not there for a job. Yeh they like acting but they also want a job. They would also like a way back in if their future endevours don't workout. If they need some extra bucks or are in a dry spell they can't go back to their old show and ask for a few epis because they're DEAD. Point being as with a regular job there are bosses out there that hold the job over your head and demand 24/7 loyalty. There's another saying as well. Many people don't leave a job but they leave a boss. I'd bet somewhere in management there is a contentious relationship between Cote and CBS/their representatives.

kmm45

kmm45

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

I don't see the writers killing Ziva off. I think she'll leave for Israel and then every now and then Tony will talk to her on the phone in some one-sided conversation. I just hope the writers don't feel the need to throw them together before she leaves. Closure's fine but that doesn't equate to Tiva in the sack.

Edited by kmm45, Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:42 PM.

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

Wasn't it last year we were introduced to Ziva's friend in south America doing charity work for a cover while occassionaly freelancing. Write Ziva off that route. She's not dead and still available for that most urgent mission. Mercenary Ziva.

KSCeres

KSCeres

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

I wondered if Cote was leaving when the only stories about the new season I saw were about the possible return of McGee's father.

I wasn't going to watch if Cote re-signed because I felt that Ziva had been written into a corner. Now that Cote is leaving I will probably give the show another chance. I don't want her killed off; I want her in prison. I also hope Idiot!Tony leaves with Ziva. Maybe once she is gone Tony can talk to people who don't always put him down.

As for a replacement Regina King would be great; she could be married with kids and her spouse does not get killed. I'm still mad they killed Jackie Vance.

Edited by KSCeres, Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:53 PM.

EEM65

EEM65

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

I never had a problem with Tiva.  And right now, I'm a bit peeved that after eight years it will all come to nothing.

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

I would be okay if the powers that be didn't refill the position at all for a while. It might be interesting to see the team pare down to the core people -- Gibbs, Tony, McGee, Abby, Duckie and Palmer. I'd love to see some excellent standalone episodes that bring us back to the heart of the team and connect us with these characters in a more personal way. I feel like the episodes haven't really drawn me in for a long time, and part of that seems to be because of a lack of personal connection.

In the early seasons, I felt for these characters because they were deeply invested in the cases, and oftentimes put their lives on the line. Those were the episodes that made me sit on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what would happen and how the characters would get out of it (or if the rest of the team would get to them to save them in time). I loved it when we got to see more of what these characters are made of.

Personally, I'd love to see some undercover cases, like Tony and Tim teaming up. Or Tony and Gibbs. I'm talking the kind of undercover like Tony did way back when in that episode called "Chained" (I think that was the name of it). Or see unusual situations like we got with Duckie and Palmer this past season -- I'd love to see unusual pairings of characters forced to work together to save someone or save themselves (Tony and Palmer would be entertaining, McGee and Abby, Gibbs and Abby, even Gibbs and Palmer might offer something very interesting). Wrong place, wrong time, and suddenly they're having to rise to the occasion and use their wits to survive, like Tony did down in those sewers with that Marine while Gibbs and Kate tried to find them.

I'd also love to see Gibbs smile more often. I've been catching some early season episodes on cable recently and I marvel at how different Gibbs was back then. He's always been a hard-ass, but he used to joke around more. He used to be a smart ass, and he used to tease to show his affection to his team. I miss him cracking a sharp joke. I miss him smiling mysteriously sometimes. I miss him joking around with Abby and giving her an affectionate kiss when she did something amazing. And I miss him connecting more with his team, fighting for them and showing them (in his own special crabby way) that he cares about them.

I just want to feel jazzed to watch the show again. Perhaps with Ziva gone, the emphasis will stop being on romance (forced or not), and the writers can return to the team feel and create amazing standalone episodes instead of all these heavy duty arcs.

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

My guess is that they didnt want Cote to leave in the first place .
They will fill that hole ASAP.