NCIS: Now with 100% Less Navy

• Please log in to reply

36258 replies to this topic

Binks

Binks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

McGee doesn't have a PhD. He has a Masters in computer forensics from MIT and a Bachelor of Science in biomedical engineering from Johns Hopkins. He has one degree on Tony who has a Bachelor's in Physical Education from Ohio State. Granted his advanced degree is more applicable to a career in law enforcement but so is 9 years of experience.

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Thanks for the correction Binks. For some reason I kept thinking PHD with Johns Hopkins. Even so, the Masters would bump him up. Part of my point was that what the degree is in doesn't necessarily matter, you get credit just for the degree.

CaptVee

CaptVee

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

19.55 Million this week and winning the 18-49 demo for the night.

Whatever the show's problems, it's an absolute beast in the ratings right now. Was the top rated show the week before beating both nights of AI.

I think the show is on for as long as the cast wants to do it at this point. They could have the Great Gazoo give wise counsel to DiNozzo at this point and still stay afloat ratings wise, I think.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

Y'know, I think one reason people keep tuning in is that the real-life workplace is so crappy right now, it's kind of fun just to see people enjoying their jobs and enjoying one another. It's the job we all want, even if we don't want to be Navy criminal investigators. We want to be someplace where people still go out for drinks after work, where two co-workers DON'T go postal because one happens to see the other's pay stub, and where you CAN drop by the boss's house.

Not sure if that has ever really existed IRL, but I feel like that is the show's main appeal. (And Lori-less H50's, too. But that's a different thread.)

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Well, it was Mark Harmon who wanted more character development--that is, for the show to delve into more of the character's lives, and less on the procedural aspect, so this crapfest can be laid at his feet, and this is coming from someone who loves Mark Harmon.

I think wanting more character development is not the same as bad character development.

True. But if we're going to continue this Harmon induced crapfest, I'd be for keeping JLC on board. I thought she was amazing and wouldn't mind if the crapfest includes she and Gibbs getting together as a way to develop his character. God, he must have smiled a couple of times in this last epi.

I agree 100%. I loved that her charcater seems 100% opposite what Gibbs has been attracted to for years now. Yet, even with all her quipy head brain gamer style of coversation, uber stoicism, and short gray hair, I thought they had real chemistry. Especially in that last scene.

And Gibbs smug look when he tracked her to her son's school was just really irritating. I'd be pissed too if someone did that.

I was fine with that. It irritated me to no end that she was busy screaming about personal boundaries with her kid when she bugged Gibbs' house first! That's equally as personal to him, so she gets to have a personal boundary, define what it is, and use the "job" card, but he does not? I completely disagree with that. Gibbs was doing his job too and investigating what could have been a security issue. He didn't know what he was investigating but knew that Ryan was messing with him.

I was also fine with Gibbs showing up at her school, the best defense is a strong offense, and that's what he did, and with real aplomb if I may add. It shook Ryan to her core.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

wow - I have to say I didn't see any chemistry at all and felt that all the "moments" were forced. I really didn't like JLC's character's style of dialogue - I think it was meant to be witty, mysterious, whatever - I found it annoying and stupid. Just seemed to be trying too hard to make her intriguing to Gibbs.

She looks good but that haircut is just awful - to me anyway. She's been wearing her hair like this for eons, so I imagine the style is to her liking but it is not attractive. I don't mind the grey, because grey can be really stunning with the right cut. Oh well. That is a minor quibble compared to my overall lack of interest in this character.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I didn't think that JLC and MH had horrible chemistry, but it wasn't terrific either.

In the bromance/friendship category, it's Gibbs-Fornell for me. Hands down.

In the romance or chemistry department, I'd go with Gibbs-Hollis Mann or Gibbs-Faith Coleman

If more truth is also told, I don't think Mark has particular chemistry with Darby Stanchfield, and she plays Shannon, the great lost love of Gibbs' life.

However, I thought the actress who played young Shannon opposite Sean Harmon in Heartland had great screen presence. It's too bad she's not old enough to play the role opposite Mark.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

She looks good but that haircut is just awful - to me anyway.

Not alone on that one. The cut used to look better on her I thought, so I was surprised to find myself thinking it wasn't that flattering. I've been trying to figure out whether her hair or Gibbs was shorter and grayer.

I did not think her and Kate's sister could have been that close in age, but they had said something in their verbal sparring making me think they were. Wish I could remember what. Was that implied or am I simply manufacturing a storyline because this one was a bit lacking?

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

The cut used to look better on her I thought, so I was surprised to find myself thinking it wasn't that flattering.

I think her face has filled out some, making her entire head look rectangular. I thought she looked heavily made up, too. But I'm a big fan of grey hair.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Funny. I thought Jamie Lee Curtis looked Fabulous. I love her. Saw her in passing once, years ago, at an airport layover, where I was catching a flight back to D.C., and she was headed to California--her hubby and baby son were with her.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the Activia commercials, but I love Jamie Lee and I think she's a good actress.

Rachel I could have done without. She was just useless fodder in this episode, and so self-righteously bitter/angry that I wanted to slap her six ways to Sunday.

Even if I hadn't read it here first, I totally would have pegged the daughter being part of her father's murder--only because of the way her hair was styled and no make-up, and her surly attitude. Those are red flags for me. Or maybe because she was acting like a petulant 5 year old, that I wanted her to be involved.

Nothing to say about the subplot because it was beyond stupid.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I did not think her and Kate's sister could have been that close in age, but they had said something in their verbal sparring making me think they were. Wish I could remember what. Was that implied or am I simply manufacturing a storyline because this one was a bit lacking?

Yes they said they went to school together

Tidal Creek

Tidal Creek

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I thought Mark and JLC's chemistry was fine. And -- bonus! -- she's not a redhead!

Too bad they don't get Pam Dawber to guest.

Snow Child

Snow Child

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Pam Dawber as a guest star would be amazing. I love that they are still married.

I was hoping that they would make some sort of nod to Freaky Friday (the one with Lindsey Lohan) since Mark and JLC were love interests, but I suppose that would only make sense to the few of use who would watch both.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Pam Dawber as a guest star would be amazing. I love that they are still married.

I agree, and I think more people would get the Harmon-Dawber connection than any movie that JLC and MH did. I didn't even know there was a movie called Freaky Friday until I read about it here.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I didn't even know there was a movie called Freaky Friday until I read about it here.

I did. I didn't watch it in the theatres because I can't stand Lindsay Lohan, but I caught it on tv sometime a few months ago. And coinkidink? Jamie Lee's character was a pyschiatrist in the movie too!

amiblue

amiblue

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Coinkidink Part Deux: MH's character was named Ryan, like JLC's character, Samantha Ryan.

liese

liese

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I like Jamie Lee Curtis a lot. I think she is beautiful and talented. She's hot and has a banging body! I would like to see Gibbs have a relationship with her. It would be age appropriate which is not something that happens too often on TV.
I remember when she first started going grey she was quite vocal about not trying to minimize her age and was proud of it. Not many females have the stones to do that.

The minute I saw her on the screen I thought to myself too bad she didn't dye her hair red.

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I love that they are still married.

McCallum & his wife have been married for eons, too.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

How do you tell if a man is wearing a $1000 suit, versus a less or more expensive suit? I'm sure one clue is how well it is tailored to fit him, but there must be other clues.

georgiesmith

georgiesmith

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

19.55 Million this week and winning the 18-49 demo for the night.

Because I'm pedantic, the episode following the 200th episode was down a tenth, and this weeks episode was down three-tenths from the previous weeks episode. It originally pulled in 19.55 with a 3.8 in the 18-49 bracket but when those numbers were adjusted they were 19.29 and 3.6 according to TVByTheNumbers.

Two weeks does not a trend make, considering the show has had lower viewing figures this year but that it's happening during sweeps with all of the push they've done for the big 200 and the big guest stars, especially Jamie Lee Curtis this week, it could be telling.

It's still number one, of course, but it looks like in its first season Person of Interest is starting to give it some competition in the scripted drama arena. If they do start to have some competition they might start to pick up their game because honestly it feels like they're just coasting.

Edited by georgiesmith, Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Thankfully, this show stays so high that it doesn't need to jump and the shark remains underwater and can't even react! I thoroughly enjoy the show and loved JLC last night. Gibbs loosening up is a good thing as well.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Worst payroll department evah!

As a payroll manager I couldn't agree more and I'm offended on behalf of payroll managers everywhere.

Other than that stupid plot, though, I thought it was a decent episode.

Edited by SanLynn, Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:40 AM.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

In the romance or chemistry department, I'd go with Gibbs-Hollis Mann or Gibbs-Faith Coleman

Ditto on both those two, especially Colman. I wish they would bring her back once in a while. I think all three of them are NOT from Gibbs's wheelhouse of dating, but are as confident in who they are, as he is. I think old Gibbs preferred his women more old school, but maybe it's time Gibbs gives a strong confident woman a try, again.

However, I thought the actress who played young Shannon opposite Sean Harmon in Heartland had great screen presence.

Totally agree with you again. I was thinking of the last scene scene in Heartland when I said, "maybe it's time Gibbs gives a strong confident woman a try, again." I was thinking of young Shannon. She had great chemistry with young Gibbs, and her character was written as someone who had a plan, and she wasn't going to be side tracked.

Yes they said they went to school together

And in real life both JLC, and Wendy Makkena were born in 1958.

ResearchGeek

ResearchGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Thankfully, this show stays so high that it doesn't need to jump and the shark remains underwater and can't even react! I thoroughly enjoy the show and loved JLC last night. Gibbs loosening up is a good thing as well.

Oh ... I think the show has jumped the shark a few times. Thankfully, it always manages to redeem itself before the shark wins.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Most places I've worked, discussing salaries was a "fire-able" offense. Civil service is probably different in that respect, but I've been in the workforce since 1967 and it's *always* been a taboo subject.

And yes, as far as I remember, discussing salaries is not allowed - or at least there's a rule against it in the companies I worked at, and I'm sure people followed it; at least in any groups I was in.

This is a commonly believed urban myth. Federal law protects employee’s right to discuss/disclose wages with their coworkers, whether they are in a union or not. National Labor Relations Board Here’s a summary and here’s a more detailed one from the Texas Workforce Commission. The NLRB has sued several companies because their employee handbooks stated that employees could not disclose their salaries to each other.

Section 7 of the NLRA protects employees who engage in concerted activity with other employees undertaken for the purpose of the employees' mutual aid or protection. 29 U.S.C. § 157.

The National Labor Relations Board has held that conversations about terms and conditions of employment, specifically wages and other forms of compensation, are for the purpose of employees' mutual aid and protection. See Wilson Trophy Co., 307 N.L.R.B. 509 (1992), enfd., 989 F.2d 1502 (8th Cir. 1993) (finding that a nonunion employee's conversations concerning wages to be concerted activity for mutual aid and protection); Jeannette Corp., 217 N.L.R.B. 653, (1975), enfd., 532 F.2d 916 (3d Cir. 1976). Section 8(a)(1) of the NLRA prohibits employers from interfering with, restraining or coercing employees with regard to the exercise of their Section 7 rights. 29 U.S.C. § 158(a)(1). In Coosa Valley Convalescent Center, the NLRB held that preventing dissension among employees who earned different salaries is insufficient reason to uphold a wage-discussion policy. 224 N.L.R.B. 1288 (1976).

The NLRB website states: The [NLRA] also protects employees' rights to act together, with or without a union, to improve working terms and conditions, including wages and benefits. These are known as protected concerted activities.

In this context, however, it's worth noting that NCIS agents, as government employees, are not covered by the NLRB.

Re: Hook-ups for Gibbs... I hope he's having occasional nasty, sweaty, loud sex with Holly Snow.

Edited by Codger, Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:30 PM.

SterlingMArcher

SterlingMArcher

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I think a lot of people forget, this is a tv show and tptb don't give a crap that doesn't make sense or it really wouldn't happen in real life.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

I miss Hollis, but think JLC would prove to be a great dating partner for Gibbs.

Shadda

Shadda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I think a lot of people forget, this is a tv show and tptb don't give a crap that doesn't make sense or it really wouldn't happen in real life.

The problem with this is that when they become too egregious they take you completely out of the show and that's not what they want to do. You spend the next 10 minutes not paying attention to the show or the commercial because you can't get over how completely stupid something is. NCIS is supposed to take place in this reality. It is not science fiction nor does it take place in another dimension, so they must pay attention to details. By their calculation if Tony owes $2500 or so after 5 years he's making about $7,000 a year. Sorry, I've had a couple of drinks so I could be off a bit.

I like the idea of Ryan with Gibbs. I think it would be fun. I'm all for Gibbs smiling, I've missed it.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Re: Hook-ups for Gibbs... I hope he's having occasional nasty, sweaty, loud sex with Holly Snow.

I hope so too, I just don't want to see it. God knows, I think Gibbs needs it. My problem is with Harmon. I have always liked him enough, and that's going back to almost his football days. Unfortunately, I just don't smell his pheromones. I was all ick in his kissing scene in Doppelgänger, and felt exactly the same with the thought of him being this "player," in "A Certain Prey."

I wouldn't mind the idea of raw animal sex for him and Holly, or Faith, or Samantha. We can see Holly,(Faith or Sam) and her(Holly's) oooozing pheromones, (I don't get ooozing pheromones from either Faith or Samantha, though that doesn't mean in the privacy of Gibbs's bedroom they can't turn on the heat) walking into Gibb's house. He's pushing logs around in the fireplace, he turns when the door opens, sees who it is, and just smirks. The smirk says it all, then CUT! Maybe a scene in the morning over coffee, juice and eggs, over very easy. He, looking all satisfied, while he makes them. Holly, (Faith or Sam) could walk in, in only his USMC red hoodie,(Cliche, yeah, but no less affective, maybe it's his day off) all smiles. Now if this was a fanfic, that scene would only be limited by the imagination.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

I've watched...or attempted to watch...this ep three times. I have fallen asleep every time. I didn't like the case or the salary argument or JLC's character.

zzzzzzzzz