NCIS: Now with 100% Less Navy

• Please log in to reply

36250 replies to this topic

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 10:02 PM

Welcome to the thread, Real New Yorker!

The episode was "Marine Down" and it was the last new episode we got. I posted before I saw the entire show so what was going on, before that, Tony and Kate were describing someone for Abby to do a composite drawing, they were stuck on the nose when Gibbs came in, Kate left to do some other work, she came back with her large pad where she had sketched the guy they had seen, and Tony and Abby see the caricatures she did of them (Abby as a bat girl, which she loved and wanted to hang up on her wall, and Tony, drooling over a woman). During the time Kate was gone, Abby had continued to use the composite drawing program on the computer... and there was a young David McCallum on her screen. *g* That's what I saw. Scene ended with Kate's drawing next to the computer screen, and you get a nice close up of most of the computer screen.

I've hearted David McCallum ever since I saw him in The Invisible Man, since I'm not quite old enough to have watched MFU in primetime. *g* I do, however, now have some MFU tapes to watch (Christmas present), that were released a while ago and I'm totally into Illya. Napoleon who? *g* I can even tell you that the first time I saw Illya was in "One Spy Too Many" and that it was January, 1980, on a Friday night. I've seen it over a dozen times now (once dubbed into French... well... even though I don't speak the language, David was in it, you know! Had to watch him!).

Skycatcher, so did you ever get to meet David? If so, please tell us all about it!

Real New Yorker

Real New Yorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 10:41 PM

KSFan Thanks for the totally complete recap on the young David McC pic. I remember that scene, and I remember seeing the pic, but I didn't notice that it was him as a younger man. I still see Illya when I look at Ducky. You see as one ages you don't see others aging - unless you haven't seen them in a long time and then when you see Rose Marie on a reunion show you gasp. When I look at David McC I still see him as I first saw him 40 years ago, as I do myself when I look in the mirror. It's the only way to keep aging people from going crazy. Mirror, mirror on the wall, no one ages, not at all. And you're absolutly right about Napoleon who? I liked the show inspite of him.

And thanks for the welcome to the thread.

Skycatcher Mark Harmon, Mark Harmon, rah! rah! rah! First fell for him on "St. Elsewhere" (early 80s). So having David McC and Mark Harmon on the same show...ahh...I'm in heaven.

And, yes, Abby is way cute. Just ask my 15 year old son why he shifts in his seat every time she's on.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

Nope, never officially met (sigh) Dave. But I did stand behind him at the check-out stand of a local electronics store once - does that count? Yeah, yeah, no guts, no glory, but I was shy. BTW - I live in Culver City, California, and the local studios do or did most of the TV shows. Some have moved out, but we still have Sony Studios just down the block from me.

Off-topic, but remember Dr. Kildare? They shot all over town and I met/saw Richard Chamberlain several times. In fact, they used the front of the Sony office bldg (can't remember which studio it was then - MGM?) as the front of "Blair General Hospital. Several years later, I found out my Mom thought that the studio WAS the local hospital!

Back on topic - Mark Harmon is gorgeous!!!!!!! especially as he plays the character. I love and adore his snark - as long as he's not my boss. And he's staring in some new movie as the President, something about the First Daughter sneaking out or something inane like that.

VartanFan

VartanFan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:35 PM

Yes, Skycatcher I believe you're referring to Chasing Liberty with Mandy Moore. He was also great in Freaky Friday. So earnest - so loving - so damn hot!

Anyways, I really enjoyed seeing the season premiere again this week and enjoyed it more than the first time. Looking forward to the new eps.

VartanFan

VartanFan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:05 PM

I loved that Abby was proud of her butt photocopying days!

Also, Tony looked totally like a gay Broadway producer in the turtleneck and jacket at the hospital.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:11 AM

I loved the snark when Dinozzo said he had 20/10 vision like Ted Williams and could see the seams on a fastball coming in then Gibbs asked him "How about knuckles?" On that subject, what is the point of printing something so small on a key you need a magnifying scope to read it?

Feel bad for Todd though when she got too close to McNeil. Knew it couldn't end well for her.

Do all German products start with B or was Dinozzo exaggerating?

Real New Yorker

Real New Yorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

Twin Peaks fan here. Loved seeing Sherilyn Fenn again. She made this epi sooo good.

We need more Abby. She's way more interesting than Tony and Kate.

And weren't ya thinking that when the nerdy hospital doc was talking Kate's ear off that he was just like Ducky - and then she asks him if he's realted to him! Kudos to the writers.

So home come this starting to become a very good show doesn't have a TWoP recapper? And how come I have to search for it in Dramas every week?

Sentinal96825

Sentinal96825

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:14 PM

I feel sorry for Todd as well, but she didn't do a good job at her supposed specialty, which is evaluating witnesses or suspects. Suzanne was obviously lying in the morgue and Todd didn't pick up on it, and totally missed the "bashed in the head" thing when Suzanne let it slip.

Warden, I totally think that almost everything German begins with B, since I think Bund- or Bud- is related to "peoples" or something like that and it was very popular to name the companies that way in the 30s. Just some speculation on my part.

BhP

BhP

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:47 PM

Real New Yorker, you may want to read this. (You may have just been joking out of frustration though... I know the feeling).

Personally, I'm tired of the "Abby's such a cute alterna-geek girlie!" Yes, she's smart, yes, she's interesting, has tats, probably pierced, ooooh she's proud of her sexuality! How novel! It is nice to see an alternageek woman on tv, but I'm bored with it already and I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

Yeah, enough of Abby is so cute, it should be, 'Ducky is so cute!'. ;)

I really enjoyed the episode but I gotta stop hitting this thread before I watch it! Oh well, I guess that's what I get, for having to read the GH thread in the Soap Operas section.

I liked the episode, and although I could easily handle Tony leaving and never coming back, I do enjoy watching the banter with Tony and Gibbs and I laughed when Gibbs actually hit Tony upside the head.

Yo, Tony, here's a clue: If you want Ducky to be willing to put you up for a while, don't make nasty cracks about him!

I'd be happy to listen to all of Ducky's stories. *g*

Can't wait for the next episode.

Real New Yorker, it might help if you change your options to seeing 40 threads at a time so you don't have to do too much searching for this thread. Another thing that would help is if someone, anyone, posts in this thread at least once a day, to keep it fairly high up. *g* How much help that's going to be, I don't know.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:15 PM

I liked the episode, and although I could easily handle Tony leaving and never coming back,

I'd like to see that too. He's (the part) just too dumb for the company he's in. He doesn't add anything to the show except looks and maybe a certain "dumb kid" element which isn't necessary.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:32 AM

Do you think TPTB would listen to a campaign to drop Tony, Skycatcher? *g* I can think of another actor I'd love to have as a regular but he certainly isn't in Tony's age range, but he absolutely could be a quirky, cool character to have around on the show.

I guess Tony didn't ask Abby if he could stay with her, because he likes her too much, he knows he'd want more than just a couch.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:33 AM

I dunno, KSFAN. If he's really not that popular, they're always testing demographics, it'll show and he'll be dropped. We can hope, right?

I'm thanking TPTB for this show because my other fave, JAG, has gone downhill so badly that I just can't watch it any more. Ironic that NCIS has JAGs old time spot.

Nice little article on NCIS in the new TVGuide, including a side-bar on Ducky-love.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

I'll have to wait to read the NCIS article, since I'm Canadian, but I've already had a couple of American friends send me the Ducky sidebar, as a scan. *g* I'll also have two copies sent to me, since two friends picked it up for me, woohoo!

I'm sorry about your show going really downhill, Skycatcher. Michael Weatherly is okay but he's not grabbing me, and I still don't care if Tony is around or not. I'm enjoying Ducky, Abby, Gibbs and Kate though and even if David McCallum isn't shown enough, I'm enjoying watching the episode, beginning to ending, once. So I'm not totally hooked/obsessed *g* but it is enjoyable.

10rags

10rags

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

I just had to sound off on the David Mc Callum issue. I'm an old MFU fan, who adored Illya. I have a co-worker who I turned on to the show and the word of mouth continues. Right now it seems DMcC is getting more time & for that, I am grateful.

I do miss JAG but that's CBS's fault. So many years in a time slot and then to move it Friday. I would have watched NCIS, anywhay for DMcC. This season has some really boring shows- I prefer comedies. I get enough drama at work.

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:34 PM

Nothing to see here - so sorry. Posted in the wrong forum. Mea culpa.

Edited by UltraViolet730, Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:35 PM.

nasha

nasha

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

Skycatcher Mark Harmon, Mark Harmon, rah! rah! rah! First fell for him on "St. Elsewhere" (early 80s). So having David McC and Mark Harmon on the same show...ahh...I'm in heaven.

I heart these two too especially MH. I have seen almost everything he has been in. I heard in real life, he is a great with his hands... a real carpenter, not that it has anything to do with his character but just a note. ;) I know many of you don't care for Tony but I like him and the actor since Dark Angel so having all these three on the same show and to add Sasha/Kate, just about does it for me.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:55 PM

Yeah, Mark Harmon is good looking, I really enjoyed him on the very old now, series, 240-Robert but he's not someone I watch in everything he's ever done, unlike David McCallum. *g*

nasha, I'm glad you're enjoying Michael Weatherly. Yeah, he's good looking, so he's nice eye candy but I just find Tony too much of a sexist pig. If that was toned down, I'd enjoy him more.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

in real life, he is a great with his hands...

When I first read this, carpentry wasn't the first thing that occurred to me.....if ya get my drift......?

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:31 PM

Millions of dollars of equipment in spy satellites and some kid uses it to be a peeping tom. Nice to see such great interagency cooperation. Abby's got a former boyfriend at NASA, imagine the perks.

Nice shout out to Seinfeld with the "Shrinkage" reference.

I'm going to try and incorporate the Yanoshami (sp)? tribe and the fact that they were twenty-three percent left handed into more of my everyday conversations.

mlooney

mlooney

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

I really liked this episode for more than the standard "Abby is cute" reasons.

1) My alter ego is back (the NCIS agent who, err, thinks Abby is cute)
2) The crime _wasn't_ a national security thing, even though everyone jumped on that train.
3) Kate reading the ingredient list on the "nutrition bar" the same way I do (Sugar, more Sugar, Sugar...)
4) Tony finally gets a girl, then doesn't know what to do.
5) "He wasn't a boyfriend, he was a boy toy".
6) More or less accurate digital photograph work, to include video conferencing.

For what it's worth the KH-12 "IMPROVED CRYSTAL" (also known as KH-11/B) has a known resolution of 10 centimeters (that would be ~4 inches to us 'merkin types). This means, yeah, you could girl watch with it.

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

Tony bothers me more and more - or rather the writing for him bothers me more and more. He has to be more than minimally competent, or I assume Gibbs wouldn't have hired him or continue to employ him. But each week they make Tony more of a buffoon. It's a real false note in a show that I enjoy otherwise.

Edited by indybear, Jan 15, 2004 @ 10:55 AM.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

Can we please trade Tony for the NASA Boy-Toy? Pretty please? I loved the banter between NASA-boy (altho he hardly looked like a boy) and Abby, and IMO he added a lot more to the show than Tony. Yeah, OK, I suppose I'd get bored with him fast, but how about a bunch of Abby's old friends? I'm sure she'd had some interesting ones, much more interesting than Pretty-boy, who (also IMO) is much more of a boy-toy than NASA-boy.

Edited by Skycatcher, Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:06 PM.

TPorter2

TPorter2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:18 PM

Kate was perfect in this episode. I'm also getting fed up with where they are taking Tony. Ducky's left handed tidbits were great...

I'm normally not much of a 'shipper, but Ashton & Abby? Adorable. Ashby?

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

5) "He wasn't a boyfriend, he was a boy toy".

You're right mlooney. She did say that. I stand corrected.

MetropolisGal

MetropolisGal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 3:19 PM

Tuesdays episode was great for the reasons people have mentioned. But also, any show that gets James Morrison (CIA Director Roeper) and Mark Harmon together on the same screen is all right with me! Yeah baby!

TPorter2

TPorter2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 9:54 PM

I just saw a note that NCIS was picked up for a second season. Super!

The link is here.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

Can anybody tell me why Tony is on this program? He doesn't bring the funny, except in a kinda dumb painful wanna-be way. Cute is a cheap commodity in H'wood, and they could have found "cute" with something else to offer. They write him like a hormone driven college kid with all the sense God gave a chairleg.

Speaking of wooden, how many (by show of hands) KNEW Gibbs would finish off the kid's tree-house for him. Talk about bench-pressing the anvils!

Loved when Kate asked "I get to do forensics?" and Gibbs said something like "You get to runaround after Abby while SHE does forensics."

Definately needed more Ducky, much more Ducky.

Adri

Adri

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 1:50 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but was Agent Todd played by a different actress than Sasha Alexander in the beginning of the series? I saw a re-run of an ep where Gibbs, Dinozzo and a female rookie agent I *think* is Agent Todd go undercover (after the female agent pesters Gibbs for a chance to go) to bust some terrorists on a boat and Agent Todd blows it by staring at the suspect. The female Agent in that ep doesn't look like Sasha Alexander.

Princess Fiona

Princess Fiona

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:59 AM

When the NCIS characters were introduced in a two-episode storyline of JAG (Ice Queen and Meltdown), the female agent was Vivian Blackadder, played by Robin Lively. When Navy NCIS premiered, there was no explanation of what happened to Special Agent Blackadder, and Special Agent Todd (Sasha Alexander) joined the team.

The two JAG episodes were later truncated into a single episode of Navy NCIS.

I do like the character of Agent Todd better and think that TPTB make a good decision.

Hope this clears up your confusion, Adri.