One Day At A Time: Wop on the Key

• Please log in to reply

272 replies to this topic

Heynow99

Heynow99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Maybe Norman was losing his hearing? LOL

Michael Lembeck's sister appeared on Welcome Back Kotter on several episodes playing annoying Judy Borden:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0501184/

Does anyone remember Michael playing "Kaptain Kool" on the Saturday morning kids' show, Kaptain Kool & the Kongs?
Check out Michael here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fzqA5VLA8nI

Edited by Heynow99, Mar 9, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

Just noticed that MeTV is airing this series. They're currently in the later seasons with Michael Lembeck and Boyd Gaines, which I didn't care for much the first time around, but I may drop in when they cycle back to the early seasons.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

A couple of years ago (and for about a year) DejaView (a Canadian cable channel) aired this show (but only from the beginning up to the point when Barbara graduates from high school and then they would cycle back to the beginning again.)

I grew up with this show (I'm the same age as Valerie Bertinelli) and never missed an episode. One of my favourite times of the show was what I call "The Ginny Wroblicki" era. I've always been a huge fan of Mary Louise Wilson and was just mad about Ginny (I even "forgave" the fact that she dated "Schneider" who I could. not. stand.)I remember when the new season (what was it the 4th or 5th?)began and she was no longer in the credits and there was no mention on the show why she left it really bummed me out (oh dear, I'm regressing back to 70s slang!).

Now, my question is: wasn't there some "behind the scenes" drama with Bonnie Franklin not being happy at the popularity of the Ginny character and that she was getting lots of laughs and that's why Mary Louise Wilson was let go? Does anyone recall this?

Also, I guess at this point there are not going to be any more DVD releases of ODAAT? I thought that maybe Shout!Factory might have released the rest of the show but ... oh, well.

ETA: Oops! I'm meant Mary Louise Wilson, not Elizabeth Wilson.

Edited by marsha, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Ginny was played by Mary Louise Wilson. I suspect that the changes the first few years were meant to show Ann's growing and changing as she matured as a single parent.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

Michael Lembeck also went on to a successful career as a director

Yet another actor who went into directing that I missed when he wasn't in front of the camera anymore... Michael Lembeck, Richard Benjamin, Ivan Dixon, etc. Glad he did well for himself, but I did miss him as a performer. He appeared in several episodes of Barney Miller as well.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Among many other things, Michael Lembeck directed the pilot of Hot in Cleveland, with Valerie Bertinelli.

Michael's father was Harvey Lembeck, probably best known as Corporal Rocco Barbella in The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sergeant Bilko) and Eric Von Zipper in several '60s beach party movies.

Mary Louise Wilson (as Ginny Wrobliki) was only in the 2nd season. I can still see her rubbing her feet in the opening credits (I'm a year younger than Valerie Bertinelli in real life, which makes me the same age as the Barbara Cooper character).

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

Mary Louise Wilson is currently kicking ass on stage in 4000 Miles at Lincoln Center. She'll definitely be nominated for some awards, and maybe win a few too. She also devastated me close to 15 years ago now in Cabaret with Alan Cumming & Natasha Richardson.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Now, my question is: wasn't there some "behind the scenes" drama with Bonnie Franklin not being happy at the popularity of the Ginny character and that she was getting lots of laughs and that's why Mary Louise Wilson was let go? Does anyone recall this?

That is correct, Marsha....personally I never found Ginny funny or useful to the show and shed no tears when she was let go but BF did have a problem with being upstaged by MLW and had her fired.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

The cast (Franklin, Phillips, Bertinelli, Harrington, plus Richard Masur and Glenn what's-his-name) reunited for the TVLand Awards this evening. It will be rebroadcast several times.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

personally I never found Ginny funny or useful to the show

I was never a Ginny fan either. But that said, Ann's histrionics got on my nerves more than once.

Michael's father was Harvey Lembeck

Oh yes... and he ran away with just about every scene he was ever in. Loved Harvey!

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Ok I remember watching this show on daytime reruns when I was home sick in the 1990s (we didnít have cable so sick day TV options were limited) and liking it, but my mom seemed to really hate it. I never understood why and it wasnít like she just thought it was a bad show, it was more like she could not be in the room while it was on. So I got the 1st season from Netflix to watch and... OH MY GOD! I completely understand her point. Where to start? Itís not that itís bad exactly, just very, very abrasive. Everything is a crisis and everyone is always shouting. And Iíll just put it out there, Ann Ramano is a straight up bitch. Hostile, and sarcastic, and condescending, and selfish, all day every day. In the episodes I saw sheís dating this younger lawyer who sheís obviously not really into even though heís completely in love with her and tells her all the time. Sheís basically leading him on and giving him the runaround just to have a guy around. The show tries to make it seem like itís this enlightened and feminist point of view and taking this brave stance, but really sheís using him. She also yells at him a lot for existing or something. I swear Ann Ramano is one of the least likable lead charters on a TV show ever. Does anyone remember watching this when it first aired? Did she come across better then? Is she just one of those characters that hasnít really held up well?

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Does anyone remember watching this when it first aired? Did she come across better then?

I'm roughly Mackenzie and Valerie's age and remember having the exact same reaction to Ann Romano then that you have now, fuzzybear.

Part of the shouting is certainly due to One Day at a Time being a Norman Lear show. Every one of his CBS shows in the '70s were obnoxiously loud, with every reaction - from both actor and audience - dialed up to 11.

But putting that aside, Ms. Romano was completely unlikeable to me; always snapping at someone, or rolling her eyes dismissively, or making sarcastic cracks. She was just an awful person most of the time, for no apparent reason.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

And Iíll just put it out there, Ann Ramano is a straight up bitch. Hostile, and sarcastic, and condescending, and selfish, all day every day.

I thought she was a bitch too when it originally aired. Watching it in reruns didn't chnage my opinion of her, either.

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Ann was supposed to be the example of the liberated woman, so in 1975, this manifested itself as a loud, brassy person who often didn't wear a bra.

Regarding how loudly they all spoke - I think this was partly due to this 1970s-era sit-com taping in front of a studio audience. Especially shows with lots of teen viewers, things like Happy Days, What's Happening, Good Times, they all had these audiences laughing and screeching, especially at certain catch phrases. I think the actors were instructed to yell their lines to be heard over the audience.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

And it started with All in the Family. The comparatively primitive technology of the time forced the actors and actresses to shout just to be heard. And on AITF the lights were so bright that their heat caused Carroll O'Connor and Rob Reiner to sweat visibly in their more demanding scenes. I don't think I've seen that happen in any other show, comedy or drama.

But we are discussing ODAAT. I saw this show from the beginning and never cared for anyone in it except Valerie. Then again, you young whippersnappers have to remember that the show dated from an era when divorce was seen as something liberating, courageous and even romantic.

beaglelove

beaglelove

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I loved this show the first time around. I'm the same age as Mackenzie Phillips. I thought the Julie character was great. She wasn't sitting around in a prim party dress waiting for her date in a dinner jacket to show up and take her to a dance at the country club, as on "Donna Reed". Julie talked back to adults, screamed at her mother, and had sex. Quite exciting to me in my white bread 2 parent disciplined household.

Even the I thought Ann was a bitch. She treated David horribly.

It was quite shocking at the time that Ann had left her marriage because she was feeling unfulfilled. It used to be if your husband didn't run around or abuse you and had a job you should be happy. I think that's why my mom hated the show so much. I did think it would be kind of cool to ahve a mom who wore jeans (mine was stll having her hair "done" and wearing gloves to church). And all the freedom girls with a working mom would have.

I did like that the girls wore normal teen clothes. Jeans, etc.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I did like that the girls wore normal teen clothes. Jeans, etc.

I loved that too! I am the same age as Valerie Bertinelli (I think) anyway give or take a year and her character was the favourite. I liked Julia at first but the shrill one note acting by Mackenzie Phillips made me glad whenever she was written off the show. As for Ann, I dunno, definitely found her loud but I didn't find her a bitch. I thought she was pretty vulnerable a lot of the time.

Best moment of the show, bar none, was the scene where Ann finds Julie after she has run away with the boyfriend and when Julie tries to lay down the law about the terms under which she will return home Ann turns to her and says "Fine then Julie don't come home". Even though I was a teenager at the time I was on Ann's side all the way.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Guess I'll have to sit at my lonely table as I loved Ann, and could never understand why the character was never on a 'Greatest TV Moms' list.

Ann reminded me of my mom in that she was fiercely independent and worked her ass off to make a better life for herself and her girls. They all grew up together, just like my mom did with us three. Ann could be dramatic but I'll take her any day over the preachy know-it-all, pushy Clair Huxtable...I couldn't stand that bitch!

As for the David and Ann relationship, I put the blame on him. Dude, she's your fucking client and gave you reasons why she wanted the divorce (needed to find herself, wasn't mature enough and didn't want to get married for the time being). In between the sex, Ann always let him know the deal up front, IMO he was the one who never got the hint. By the time she met and married Sam, she had grown up and knew what she wanted out of life, which made the marriage all the more sweeter.

Was hard to watch Julie....I'm sorry, but there is a way to express yourself to your parents and still be respectful. I too liked Ann's 'Okay, Julie. Don't come back!' response when Julie tried to lay down the law and by the time she returned home with her tail between her legs, I would have given her the serious what-for and told her to get the fuck out for good if she didn't like the rules.

Always related to Barbara, especially the virginity aspect. One thing that always cracked me up about VB was her tendency to wear jeans so vaginally tight.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

vixenstud, you hit the nail right on the head re: David. I've had the misfortune of getting mixed up with a couple of guys JUST like that character. It wasn't pretty. YIKES.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Did meTV skip Season 1 and just jump into Season 2? I noticed that they ran part 3 (I think) of The Runaways yesterday.

her tendency to wear jeans so vaginally tight.

I'm not sure what this means, but it cracked me up.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Inquistionist, what time does it come on MeTv? I have that channel and all we get during the day is Cannon, Hawaii 5-O, etc.

As for the vaginally tight comment, lol....her jeans were so tight that the thigh gap outline was well imprinted, just like James Evans and the 'plum' pants he used to wear on Good Times.

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

what time does it come on MeTv? I have that channel and all we get during the day is Cannon, Hawaii 5-O, etc.

It is on MeTV's sister station, Me-Too, at 10 am.

http://www.wciu.com/...hp?station=wmeu

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Thanks, Whisper....dang, I wish I had MeToo, next to One Day they have The Lucy Show!

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

You all have seemed to have read my mind regarding this show and the characters.

And on AITF the lights were so bright that their heat caused Carroll O'Connor and Rob Reiner to sweat visibly in their more demanding scenes. I don't think I've seen that happen in any other show, comedy or drama.

I have. On an episode or two of Good Times, the Florida character could be seen sweating. In one episode, which I can't remember right now which one it is, but I know it is during season one, where you can see this drip going down Esther Rolle's face from her hair and it is black. I am guessing Esther had her hair sprayed dark to cover gray hair and with all the sweating, the dye and sweat began to run down the side of her face.

Yes, I could not help but notice those damn tight pants Barbara wore. It was more obvious when she was a bit older and had a bit more weight in the hip/thigh area. Camel toe anyone? As for James Evans, it was those tight, tan pants that always caught my attention. LOL He looked good!

Barbara's hairline, which was low on her forehead, is what bugged me. It was during the early seasons when she had her hair long and parted in the middle.

Was hard to watch Julie....I'm sorry, but there is a way to express yourself to your parents and still be respectful.

I know. Julie was the original Becky Conner (Roseanne). Whenever I watch Becky Conner in action whenever she rants, yells and demands that Roseanne allow her to do what she wants even though she is still a teen, I can't help but think of Julie Cooper and how she mastered that.

It was hard for me to watch Julie be such a bitch to Ann because me and my siblings knew how to respect our parents and never raise our voices. We would never think of ever acting like Julie did with all that screeching and yelling. However, Julie was an example of how many teens DID talk to their parents in that manner. I knew of at least two girls in my neighborhood who treated their mothers in that same manner with the yelling, the back-talk, the threats of leaving. So, in that respect, I think ODAAT did good by showing us a teen like Julie who didn't behave in the manner that we had become accustomed with other teens on previous sitcoms such as Ozzie & Harriet, Leave It To Beaver, Donna Reed Show, etc. In that respect, I can appreciate the reality that this show brought forth because unfortunately not all teens respect their parents.

There was something about yelling that was consistent in the Norman Lear shows. There was Julie Cooper of course, Mike aka "Meathead" from All in the Family along with Archie Bunker, James Evans from Good Times, and George Jefferson from The Jeffersons.

As for the over-the-top dramatics by Ann, I am guessing this was also a Norman Lear thing because I know the Thelma Evans character on Good Times seemed to over-do it at times in her scenes, most notably during the early seasons. I want to say Sally Struthers from All in the Family was a bit dramatic with how she emphasized her lines on the show as well. I would be annoyed with how all three of those ladies came off on their respective shows at times. Throw in Rob Reiner too, he had his moments.

Edited by kemon, May 17, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

It is on MeTV's sister station, Me-Too, at 10 am.

Thanks for the clarification. I can't keep the proliferation of "nostalgia" channels straight! I had set my DVR to record this series, but wasn't sure where it was showing up. :-)

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Ann was supposed to be the example of the liberated woman, so in 1975, this manifested itself as a loud, brassy person who often didn't wear a bra.

In all fairness, Bonnie didn't need a bra, she never had much to support.

One thing that always cracked me up about VB was her tendency to wear jeans so vaginally tight.

Funny, haven't seen the show in so long, I had actually forgotten about that, consciously, but now realize there's a subconscious image of VB's "tight-croctched" jeans emblazoned in my memory. Jeez, I'm weird. Even though teen-aged me found VB's jeans sexy, I still couldn't help but wonder how they could be comfortable.

Also, Ann Romano was a bitch most of the time, and David was her doormat. In later seasons, Ann had love interests (Ron Riftkin's and Howard Hessman's characters) who stood up to her, and she respected them for that.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, May 17, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

her tendency to wear jeans so vaginally tight.

I'm not sure what this means, but it cracked me up.

"Camel toe".

Edited by ubi, Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:01 PM.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Was hurt to read today that Bonnie Franklin has pancreatic cancer....while it seems that those who are diagnosed don't fare well in the long run, I'm hoping that she recovers.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Oh, dear, that is distressing news about Ms. Franklin.

On a funnier note, I had no idea she had been playing a nun on The Young and the Restless (at the 5:20 mark here).

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Oh, dear, that is distressing news about Ms. Franklin.

This has made me feel so sad. Hang tough, Ms. Romano!