Season 5: Law & Luchadores

• Please log in to reply

1725 replies to this topic

Imsuperorginal

Imsuperorginal

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

I just have to bitch about S5 for a second. I really truly don't like it all. And I think a lot of it has to do with Spike (a lot not all). I hated him when he came back from disappearing with Dru on, and he essientally just pisses me off. He has no place on AtS other than saying bloody this and bloody that, and to just bug the hell out of Angel along with me. I hate how he already was the main focus of 2 episodes and I get all this good information about his psyche, while I know nothing about what's going with Angel (except little tidbits where Spike makes him self-evaluate) or Gunn. I keep hoping it will get better but reading Spoilers I just don't see it.

There are other things that pisses me off about S5; Wes' mooning over Fred, no Cordy, Gunn being this super-duper lawyer type that barely gets his violence on, how they aren't approaching the subject of why they are still working at W&H, staying in the W&H building way too much, how most things happen in the daytime and Angel is basking in the sun way too much, and Eve. I just want them to get on with the goddamn story instead of focusing on these MoTW. I'm not saying make it super arc-heavy like last season, but they can have little arcs here and there a la S2.

I watch my S2 dvd's over and over again, I stay up late on Tuesday nights to catch the S4 reruns (and I wake up at 5 am every morning), I make sure I'm home at 2 on Saturday afternoon to catch the S3 reruns.....but I don't and won't watch the S5 reruns while they are on hiatus on Wensday's. That's how much this season has dissappointed me. And yes I am obbessed with Angel, thanks for asking.

Willowbrook

Willowbrook

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:35 PM

I totally agree, Imsuperoriginal. There have been a few bright spots to season 5, but precious few, and I think I'm hanging in there out of memories of what this show was rather than what it is. It's not nearly dark enough to be a show about a vampire, and I feel like I don't know the characters anymore (which I don't, since ME decided to push the happy reset button). What irritates me more than anything is that I had so much emotional investment in season 4, and, essentially, that season never happened. At least, I don't know what parts of it happened and what parts didn't. And it's making me cranky. OK, bitchfest over.

PezGirl

PezGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:39 PM

Maybe I'm just FredCrazy or something but I really like S5 so far. I like what they did with Gunn...seems he has more of a purpose now. It's nice to see them possibly pairing Fred up with someone who is as geeky as she is and not part of team Angel. Sure, I miss Cordy as much as the next person, but throughout season 3 & 4 I grew rather tired as it seemed that much of those seasons revolved around her. It's refreshing to get away from that here. Of course, it would be nice if the gang mentioned her now and then.

I really liked Hellbound (I think that's the name) with Spike and all the disturbing images...heh, they were more funny than anything. I grew to like Spike in Buffy towards the end and I'm still liking him now, even in his annoying state. Think about how you would feel if you were a ghost doomed to haunt Angel for an eternity..

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

I just have to bitch about S5 for a second. I really truly don't like it all.

A hearty WORD to everything you said, Imsuperoriginal. I'm a spoiler-phobe, so it scares me that having read spoilers, you are not psyched by what you know. I was soooo hoping that Lindsey's return would save S.5.

Way upthread, SNeaker said,

Angel used to be a leather jacket show, and now it's a suit show. How drab.

That pretty well sums it up. The new format is boring with the West-Wing hallway conferences and corporate sets. I loved Spike on BtVS, but his addition to AtS has been Dawn-style annoying. Here's hoping this season rights itself quickly, starting with the MoG back in street clothes and leather.

valeriel

valeriel

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:19 PM

sneaker

That pretty well sums it up. . .Here's hoping this season rights itself quickly, starting with the MoG back in street clothes and leather.

jerry

You said it! I miss them getting in the street & mixing it up. And I really miss Cordy! She was such a big piece of the show. And Fred just ain't cutting it. And is Wes still even on the show? I'm disappointed that the cohesion between the members of the group is pretty much gone. *sigh*

Edited by valeriel, Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:20 PM.

Wessle

Wessle

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:40 PM

The horrible opening credits for this season sadly sum this up... look they're walking through hallways!!! With files!!! And looking at people!!!! And holding books!!!!

Compare that to last season's slice and dice credits... and it makes you wonder what the hell is ME thinking with this whole new W & H format. It's like the whole show has been sterilized. The sets, the clothes, the characters...

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:52 PM

I'm telling ya, it's that god-damned book slamming instead of the door-breaking in the opening credits. Throws everything off.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:03 PM

You said it! The change of the credits demonstrates the demise of our show: We've gone from
man of action Seasons 1-4 = Angel kicks in doors
to pencil pusher Season 5 = Angel slams notebooks

hellaYAWN

Edited by jerry, Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:19 AM.

a2zmom

a2zmom

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:30 PM

I've been enjoying this season a lot. I do wish Cordelia was mentioned more, but truthfully, I don't miss her. I couldn't stand what was done to her character inseason 3.

From my pov, every episode has been all about Angel - his state of mind, his interactions with everyone else, his increasing isolation - and I'm finding it fascinationg.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:50 PM

My problem with season 5 is that they've abandoned so much of what was great about the previous seasons. The evil lawyers, particularly Lilah. The MoG interaction for better or worse. The well crafted arcs.

I particularly miss Connor. And Lilah. Oh how I miss them. But I also miss Wes as more than a background character, waiting around with Lorne until their lines come up.

I don't blame Spike. JM is just doing his job and I do love seeing Spike and Angel snipe at each other. But they need to integrate him better and bring the show back to an ensemble, less Itchy and Scratchy (tm someone else). I think Spike gets the blame because he's new and has always been divisive. But I think Fred is similarly overused.

And please take Angel out of those awful suits. He used to have such a great wardrobe, now he just looks like a block.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:16 PM

I'm not particularly impressed by this season so far. But I don't think I've been particularly impressed by the first 8 episodes of any of the past seasons, either.

In conclusion: [shrug]. The W&H stuff tires me, but if I'm amused for an hour, that's not a deal-breaker.

1formybaby

1formybaby

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

I'm not particularly impressed by this season so far. But I don't think I've been particularly impressed by the first 8 episodes of any of the past seasons, either.

I actually really liked the first 8 episodes of season 2. Still, I agree that while W&H has turned out to be a duller premise than might have been expected, the meat of the season has still to come. The writers promised a good arc in this season too, as well as standalones, so presumably they'll keep to their word?!

nil

nil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:34 AM

Yes, the puke green shirt that's never tucked in all the way has to go.

So far the glass is half full for me. I've disliked about four episodes, liked maybe three, and was amused by one. If I were to rank all eight of them it would go something like this:
  • The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco
  • Lineage
  • Life of the Party
  • Just Rewards
  • Destiny
  • Hellbound
  • Unleashed
With the exception of "Destiny" and maybe the last one too, I think it's really the way the episodes are structured that I have more of a problem with than the actual content. "Spike goes to hell" sounds like a cool idea, but the way the episode was paced put me to sleep.

ETA: D'oh. I forgot the premiere, didn't I? Oh well, didn't like that one much anyway.

Edited by nil, Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:24 AM.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:55 AM

I'm not sure what's worse, nil - that there are only 7 eps listed, or that I had to go look up which one you've forgotten. What's unfortunate for me is that there's such a big gulf between the eps I liked and the eps I didn't like. Which makes it pretty much on par with S3 and 4 I suppose. Cinco and Lineage were fine eps for the most part; Life had good quips now and then...and then it takes this giant nosedive. I guess destiny was vaguely nice, but...

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:36 AM

My main problem is, with the exception of Conviction (remember that one, it's the first), Life of the Party (which I loathed, so I remember that) and Cinco (unusual title), I can't actually remember what happened in which episode. All my mind produces is "blablabla DIE-EVE-DIE blablabla SHUT-UP-SPIKE blablabla OOOOH-LINDSEY blablabla WHERE-IS-ANGELS-STORY blablabla". I'm sure if I'd actually enjoyed the episodes, I'd remember more about what happened where. I've only seen S2 once or twice - the last time being a year or two ago, but I can distinctly remember what happened in those episodes. S5, a big pile of meh.

Teenes

Teenes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 4:08 PM

WHERE-IS-ANGELS-STORY

I personally don't get this. Of the six regular characters, the one whose story has been the most developed and explored this season, IMO, has been Angel's. I do think that some of the characters (*ahem* Lorne) have been a bit shortchanged this season, but Angel is not one of them. Episodes like Unleashed and Numero Cinco, while being MOTW episodes, have revealed more about Angel's mindset and character than any other character on the show. Even episodes like Just Rewards and Hellbound, nominally Spike episodes, have told me more about what's going on with Angel than they did with Spike. And while Destiny seemed to deal more with the Spike side of the Spike/Angel issues, the resolution of it IMO made a much larger impact on Angel than it did on Spike. After Destiny, my main two questions about Spike are - where is he going to live, and how are they going to explain why he stays in LA? But with Angel, it's how is this going to impact Angel's conception of himself, his actions, his motivations? How is he going to react to all this, what does it mean for him?

Personally, while I don't think S5 has been compelling in that "what's going to happen next week, I can't wait?" sort of way, I think that has more to do with the lack of obvious arc than anything else. On an individual basis, and considering it independent of the structure of S4, I've been quite liking the season so far.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:10 PM

Well, I don't see it. All I've seen this season of Angel's story is "in semi-dark place, brooding over loss of son" and there's been a few minutes per episode of it, if that. If there's been more, it's probably been shovelled under so much incredibly UNamusing scenery-chewing crap from Spike that I haven't noticed. I want to see more of Angel. Now.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

I think it is All.About.Angel, but because Angel, unlike Buffy doesn't blabber on about it all the time, it's more subtle.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

I watched Dead End the other day, and realized that Angel has forgotten perhaps the most important thing he ever heard about dealing with W&H. Lindsey told him that the secret to W&H is not to let them trap you into playing by their rules; that you have to make them play by yours. In the past, Angel has done that, but this season, he has fallen squarely into the trap of playing by their rules. I'm sure I'm not the first, or the only one to notice this, but with Lindsey's return, I'm wondering if that will come back into play.

quirkygrl

quirkygrl

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:29 PM

pootlus

This...

All my mind produces is "blablabla DIE-EVE-DIE blablabla SHUT-UP-SPIKE blablabla OOOOH-LINDSEY blablabla WHERE-IS-ANGELS-STORY blablabla". 

...made me LOL and scare my daughter.

I've actually found Spike somewhat less annoying and more amusing (even with the moments of scenery chawing), than I expected after last season on BtVS, so I'm taking a 'wait-and-see' on him.

I'd like to see more Angel that we've seen as well. It is supposed to be about Angel in one way or another. That's why I watch it. Teenes is right that in some way all these episodes have been about Angel's story, but it seems there's been so much less of Angel relative to previous seasons, that it looks and feels very different, at least to me.

And, as for 'DIE-EVE-DIE', that really sums up how I feel about the most glaring and obvious fly in the oinment this season. Why is she there? And more importantly, why is Lilah *not* there?

S5, a big pile of meh.

That's a pretty accurate summary, IMO - at least as compared with S2 or S4. I've enjoyed some of it, hated some of it and on balance... meh.

Nezera

Nezera

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

My main problem is, with the exception of Conviction (remember that one, it's the first), Life of the Party (which I loathed, so I remember that) and Cinco (unusual title), I can't actually remember what happened in which episode.

Well, I wouldn't go that far- I think that'd be verging on Buffy Seasons 6/7 badness. Angel, so far, while not being particularly amazing and lacking in MANY points, is still relatively enjoyable. There's continuity, there's (some) believable character interaction, there's happy snarkiness.

Anyways- high point so far was definitely Lineage. Low point: whatever that heinous werewolf episode was called. I think Season 5 is slowly progressing into the realm of betterness, so fingers crossed.

Wolfe

Wolfe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

I'm in the wait-and-see camp. Plus, I don't watch a lot of TV and usually stick to one or maybe two shows at a time. I have probably too much patience when it comes to shows and I enjoy the changes; it keeps me guessing. Hey, I watched The X-Files until the end. That tells you all a lot, I'm sure.
I do have to say that S5 doesn't offer the film noir quality that drew me to Angel in the beginning. And the constant exposition makes me a little frustrated. But then again, like I said before, I sat through 2 seasons of blatant exposition (not to mention atrocious acting) on The X-Files.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:06 PM

Anyways- high point so far was definitely Lineage. Low point: whatever that heinous werewolf episode was called. I think Season 5 is slowly progressing into the realm of betterness, so fingers crossed.

ITA. It is improving and starting to address some of my issues. Lineage I was spoiled for and as someone who loves Wes I saw it as a make or break episode. And so far it's been the best of the season, IMHO. But those early episodes were dire.

I'm still hanging in, but I must say, my expectations have been lowered, especially since watching season 4 in reruns. I know that it's unlikely to ever be that good again, but I might as well enjoy the ride.

And really, even at it's goofiest (LOTP, I'm looking at you) it's still a vast improvement over the last 2 seasons of Buffy the Perpetual Martyr.

CCR

CCR

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:13 PM

I only watched six of the first eight eps, wish I'd missed four of those, and could sum the other two up in a few sentences starting with "They weren't as bad, but..." Everything I heard pre-season sounded awful but I had faith in the writing team that did such a good job last year. Well, that's shot, this stuff is super boring and predictable -- I've yet to find anything funny, thought-provoking, or believable. So I'm content to *read* about most of the rest of the season. (Go Strega!)

I'll watch the eps in which Cordy or Connor appear (showing that I am still a glutton for punishment at heart!) but there's no way in the world I'm watching one about, say, Harmony, who shouldn't even be there in the first place. ME has broken our little social contract where I ignore the stupid things if they don't push them.

Edited by CCR, Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:15 PM.

valeriel

valeriel

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:22 PM

ME has broken our little social contract where I ignore the stupid things if they don't push them. CCR

BWAH!! You are SO right! I don't know if they need a vacation or what but ME's quality has been on a downward spiral (Buffy S6 & 7 and Angel S5). What can be done? I don't want crappy eps, but I also don't want the show I loved (pre-W & H) to go away forever. *sigh*

Edited by valeriel, Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:43 PM.

HexLover

HexLover

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:25 PM

I think I know why Lorne's been neglected! They're building up the interest for the arrival of Lorne's new boyfriend, Clem!!!!

Nezera

Nezera

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:10 PM

I think I know why Lorne's been neglected! They're building up the interest for the arrival of Lorne's new boyfriend, Clem!!!!

*shriek* YES! Match made in heaven! Aww, Clem...

Hey, if he came on Angel, we'd have someone to drag Spike away to random bars so we wouldn't have to see his whiny, wrinkled face popping up all over the place for the entire duration of the episode. Pure brilliance.

Naxus

Naxus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:22 AM

is still relatively enjoyable

I'd agree with that. As much as a step down from last season it is, and as many problems as I do have with it, I admit that I'm still fairly entertained week to week. They just need to deal with some of the issues that have plagued the early episodes.

There's continuity

That, I'd have to say depends on your viewpoint. Sure, there's stuff like the Shanshu prophecy, although them bringing it up exactly every two episodes is starting to bother me. It makes it feel kind of forced. Anyway, it's the little bits of week-to-week continuity that I miss. So far, with the exception of Wes' absence in "Destiny," the show has shown an absolute refusal to acknowledge the events of the previous week.

And I get the feeling that if AD hadn't needed time off, that would have been no different. I get the standalone thing, but some of it just bugs. Like Lorne. IMO, if this were S3 or S4, in the episode following "LotP" someone would have asked him how he was feeling, and he would have mentioned his nap, or whatever.

But this year? They didn't even continue anything between "Conviction" and "Just Rewards," which is the only time in the history of the show that they've used "To Be Continued...." Those two episodes literally had nothing in common save the appearance of the regular cast members. It's like considering "The House Always Wins" and "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" a two-parter. In other words, it isn't. At all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a rant like that. But like I said, I'm still finding the show fairly entertaining week to week, but they really need to back off the "Standalones or death!" stance that they've got. WB mandate or no, they could at least work in a quick reference.

Edited by Naxus, Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:24 AM.

Edward1985

Edward1985

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:43 AM

Ya know when I first made this post. I thought it was spoilery but after I re-read the rules I realized that WB ep descriptions aren't spoilers. So then I went to post it here but I read the first post and it said non-spoilery stuff goes here but how is something listing the upcoming plots not spoilery in the slightest? I then decided to put it in the spec topic but I'm not speculating on it. So..I'm just going to post it here and see what happens. Warning to anyone who is so spoilerphobic they don't even watch the promos for new episodes.

The WB descriptions of the next 3 eps,ya know the stuff they put in TV Guide.

From Fraz on Media Blvd

[I'm editing out the actual blurbs and reposting them in the Speculation Topic, so please continue there. Thanks. -- Strega]

Edited by Strega, Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:01 PM.

HexLover

HexLover

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

Yay Andrew's coming!!!! Maybe he'll bring Clem with him.