Dallas: The Original

• Please log in to reply

930 replies to this topic

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Also, IIRC the dream season had a completely different showrunner/writers and most of the main actors didn't like how the writers were aping Dynasty. So when Duffy's return coincided with them bringing back the old show-runner, they decided to toss out the season and reset the status quo.

That said, I do think they could have salvaged some of the plotlines had they done the dream reveal then time skipped a year and pick up most of the non-Bobby plotlines up where they left off and handwave things so that Bobby was around the edges of the storylines, not involved heavily but still there in the thick of it like he never left.

Maybe even handwave things so that Pam was dreaming what things would have been like if Bobby had died and have the punchline be that had Bobby died, life would have been the same regardless.

Edited by BakerX2, May 27, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

So when Duffy's return coincided with them bringing back the old show-runner, they decided to toss out the season and reset the status quo.

A lot of that was Hagman. He hated the dream season and told CBS that, contract or no, he would walk off the show unless Leonard Katzman was brought back to produce.

That said, I do think they could have salvaged some of the plotlines...

They did, to an extent. Ray, Clayton and (briefly) Jack still went into business together, and Steve Forrest again played an old ranch hand who claimed to be Jock (except if the dream season producers had been kept on, he really would have been Jock).

Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

The whole story line with Steve Forrest was wasted at the end. It would have been interesting to produce enough evidence that he was probably Jock, but leave a little bit to doubt. That way there could be an ongoing debate among fans as to whether this really was Jock. To bad they just dropped it.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

The whole story line with Steve Forrest was wasted at the end. It would have been interesting to produce enough evidence that he was probably Jock, but leave a little bit to doubt. That way there could be an ongoing debate among fans as to whether this really was Jock. To bad they just dropped it.

With Bobby coming back, they weren't about to press their luck.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

The whole story line with Steve Forrest was wasted at the end. It would have been interesting to produce enough evidence that he was probably Jock, but leave a little bit to doubt.

I, for one am glad they didn't have him be Jock. As far as I'm concerned, just as Larry Hagman IS J.R., Jim Best was Jock Ewing. He was so...big as life. I just can't imagine anyone else filling his shoes. He embodied "Daddy" and Jock, if that makes sense.

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

I still cannot believe TPTB thought they could do showerBobby and maybenotdeadJock in the same season. To me it implies the show runners really had no clue the audience wouldn’t be thrilled to bits with the shower explanation. And yeah I still think the shower redux was utterly dumb. If the show felt Bobby had to be back they could have come up with something, anything better than that.

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

ITA that the "Dream" explanation was completely bogus, and there were probably lots more creative and interesting ways to bring Bobby back. I've always found it interesting that the writers wrote EVERYBODY else's deaths so vaguely (Dusty, Mark, Jock) but they had to make Bobby's death seem so definite and final. Hell, they could have put him into a coma after the accident and just had him offscreen and gone on with the show.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

ITA that the "Dream" explanation was completely bogus, and there were probably lots more creative and interesting ways to bring Bobby back.

I think that the "dream" was more about the showrunners being gone that year than anything. I swear I remember a behind the scenes show where they basically said the shower happened more because the returning PTB hated the season that happened while they were away and just wanted to wipe the slate clean rather than trying to find a way to bring Bobby back. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I don't know what was going on with the showrunners, but I do remember what both Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy said in separate interviews--that the only way for Bobby to come back was for that whole season to have been a dream. Patrick Duffy even mentioned that his wife also said the same thing.

Hagman had been trying to get Duffy back practically all season, I think. I remember Duffy and Hagman, saying how Hagman kept calling Duffy and telling him to come back.

Like I said before, I didn't care how Bobby came back; I was thrilled that he was.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I watched a couple of old episodes on "On Demand" on Comcast yesterday. I loved seeing them again. Poor Sue Ellen really was a mess.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 5:32 AM

I keep hearing how little Sue Ellen does in the new series and then Linda Gray saying how old Sue Ellen is dead and buried, but thats where the drama is. Just like JR hasn't changed, I don't think it's entirely realistic to have Sue Ellen as this strong, sainted business woman. Regardless of her drinking, she was every bit the vixen, a cheater and a snake. She got down and dirty with everyone else. I began to hate Sue Ellen once she divorced JR (a good move!), then got back with him and started repeating everything. That's what eventually killed her character. They should've had her divorce him once and make Cliff/Sue Ellen the power couple and use her to strengthen the Barnes family. That's a logical way she could've become a business woman.

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Sadly, Sue Ellen was really at her best during the Dream Season. That was the only time she actually went to AA to quit drinking and had a successful career that had NOTHING to do with J.R. She really became fully independent and took responsibility for her own actions, instead of just blaming J.R. for all her problems. Sure she became successful post-dream, but that was always just a way to get back at J.R. I really liked her working for the non-profit organization and doing something good for others without it being a reaction to what J.R. had done to her. Maybe the new version will be more like that.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

The dream season was a mixed bag for me, but Sue Ellen and JR were BOTH written out of character. I thought the stuff with her alcoholism was melodramatic and poorly acted and I hated her insta!career and how in love she was with JR. He was also too soft. It didn't ring true. I was very disappointed in how basic a lot of Peter Dunne's writing was, considering how well he wrote Knots Landing.

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

The funny thing about the Dream Season is that it's (IMO) about 2/3 great, and 1/3 not so great. The first third with the family coping with Bobby's death and the WestStar takeover attempt is pretty good drama and everybody gets to really ACT (with the exception of course being Jenna). Then the second third with the Marinos intrigue that just DRAGS ON FOREVER, Jenna's breakdown and the dumbass emerald plot is tough to get through. But once Angelica is on the run and everybody comes back to Dallas I have always really liked how the season was finished out. It was nice for a change to not have everybody in turmoil and for the cliffhanger to come from an outside source rather than the catalyst being someone inside the family. The best thing about J.R. going "soft" is that at least it wasn't something we'd seen before. Every year he makes up with Sue Ellen (or later, Cally) then by the end of the season he's pissed her off again, she falls off the wagon, leaves him or shoots him. This time the reconciliation came way at the end of the year and was at least something different. It's a shame that those kind of innovations went out the window when Katzman came back, and we were back to recycling the same plots from earlier seasons--you gotta give the people something new to watch, or they'll find something better to do with their time.

ETA:
I'm confused on something from the final season--maybe somebody can help me clear it up. After J.R. got back all of the Ewing assets from Jeremy Wendell at the end of Season 11 did he ever get rid of them? I thought that he and Bobby became partners because Bobby had the "name" and J.R. had the property. So when Bobby sells Ewing Oil to LeAnn De La Vega isn't it pretty much worthless? Without J.R.'s assets she would presumably only control the Corporate Headquarters. I don't understand why all of that property doesn't simply revert back to J.R. when LeAnn, Michelle or Cliff assume control of Ewing Oil.

Edited by jonnypaul12, Jun 14, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

They should've had her divorce him once and make Cliff/Sue Ellen the power couple and use her to strengthen the Barnes family. That's a logical way she could've become a business woman.

I don't think Sue Ellen would would have found long term satisfaction with Cliff. She always struck me as a woman who wanted a bit of excitement to her relationships - Dusty was her cowboy saviour right out of a romance novel, Peter Richards was thrillingly young and of course JR was/is JR. Cliff would have become boring for her after a while and she'd have chafed at how much of a loser he could be (I actually like Cliff but for much of the run of the show he was a loser.)

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I haven't watched Dallas since it was originally on the air and I don't think I watched the follow-up movies. (If I did, they were pretty forgettable, because I forgot them.) The new series caught my attention and I've seen the first two hours. I heard CMT was airing the original series and I happened to be home today, so I turned it on. My 19-year-old son, home from college for the summer, walked into the kitchen and asked what I was watching. I told him Dallas, and pointed out JR, who happened to be on screen. Son said, "JR? Isn't that the dude who somebody shot?" We sat down to eat lunch and watched two episodes, which happened to be from the season that was basically the run-up to the shooting. It was two hours of everybody in the cast getting set up to be a potential shooter and JR just being the jerk that he was. What great 80's fun, Dallas in all its soapy glory. In its early years, Dallas was a force to be reckoned with.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

ITA that the "Dream" explanation was completely bogus, and there were probably lots more creative and interesting ways to bring Bobby back. I've always found it interesting that the writers wrote EVERYBODY else's deaths so vaguely (Dusty, Mark, Jock) but they had to make Bobby's death seem so definite and final. Hell, they could have put him into a coma after the accident and just had him offscreen and gone on with the show.

Bobby was killed off in such a definitive manner because at the time, it was accepted that Duffy was done with the series and everyone basically decided, point blank, that Bobby's send off had to be definitive and worthy of such an important character to the mythos of the show.

I keep hearing how little Sue Ellen does in the new series and then Linda Gray saying how old Sue Ellen is dead and buried, but thats where the drama is. Just like JR hasn't changed, I don't think it's entirely realistic to have Sue Ellen as this strong, sainted business woman. Regardless of her drinking, she was every bit the vixen, a cheater and a snake.

The scene where they have her pledging her support and the support of her various "connections", people of power who would help John Ross if needed, made me think that Sue Ellen isn't goody two-shoes but a bitch in sheep's clothing waiting to strike at those standing in the way of her son's ambitions. Indeed, I would not be shocked if Sue Ellen is the new show's back-up plan in the event Hagman dies and they need a replacement vilain.

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Been watching the final season recently, with it's terribly contrived Sheila Foley plot (Bobby should have just held her head under water until she confessed what she was really up to), the painfully bad LeeAnn De La Vega storyline (showing us flashbacks of the character telling Michelle her backstory? It's a flashback within a flashback!), the eye roll-inducing Liz Adams crap (Remember, she's an oil heiress/super model/gangster's moll/SECRET AGENT), not to mention EVEN more of Sasha Mitchell's dreadful acting (the way he rolls his head around when he talks reminds me of a broken bobble head). How anyone can say the "Dream Season" is the worst is beyond me. J.R. spends the entire season being one-upped by EVERYBODY (even McKay's trashy wife), Ewing Oil changes hands like 9 times (Michelle Stevens running Ewing Oil--are you kidding?) while Bobby becomes so wimpy that by the time he finally confronts his wife's killer it doesn't really even bother him anymore that she was brutally murdered as a direct result of this woman's actions. Then of course there's the series finale where we sit and watch 2 hours of stuff that DOESN'T REALLY HAPPEN, including a significant amount of screentime devoted to characters who don't even exist (Jason and Bootsie Ewing, Bobby's two wives etc). Didn't we get enough of that during the afore-mentioned dream season? Even the big twist ending that leads to the finale doesn't make sense--if J.R. controls Dusty's WestStar voting rights, how could Dusty sell them to McKay? It would have worked much better (and even set up the new show for that matter) if they had just stopped with the cliffhanger where J.R. is confined to the mental institution. Sad end to a great show.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I didn't think the Dream Season was the worst, but it was the season that ended with everyone liking each other and no backstabbing or dirty deals or just plain soapiness of the seasons before. But the key thing for me? No Bobby. Though it had its moments. I particulary liked the slow building romance between Jack and Jenna before she went all cray-cray; and I really loved the scene between Pam and Jenna, where Pam told her that she, Pam, was the one who had been cheated out of a wedding.

Though I stayed through the end, the last two or three seasons were just bad. I mean, the finale for Season 12, Linda Gray's last, was just so lame. She leaves the movie she had made of her life with J.R., to be released as blackmail? pfft.

The series finale's twist of It's a Wonderful Life had some WTFuckery for me as well. I mean, Sue Ellen met Nick? as a result of her buying Valentine Lingerie, or whatever she called that company...which came about as a result to get back at J.R. since his comment about sluts being the only women who would pose for that stuff.

So her having a HEA with Nick made no sense. Maybe Dusty. Or Clint. I can't remember if she would have met either of them if she hadn't married J.R.

Bobby's was more swallowable, as he was the company's pimp, for a lack of a better word until he met Pamela. But then again, he didn't meet her because of J.R., so Bobby and Pam meeting and being happy would have made more sense.

And Valene, who was a poor girl, a successful business woman? All because J.R. wasn't born/didn't exist? Like he was responsible for her economic status? Okay. Not.

Again, my memory's fuzzy, as I only watched the finale the first time it aired and never saw it again.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Though I stayed through the end, the last two or three seasons were just bad. I mean, the finale for Season 12, Linda Gray's last, was just so lame. She leaves the movie she had made of her life with J.R., to be released as blackmail? pfft.

E! True Hollywood Story mentions that it was Linda Grey's idea to set up a potential return to the series: have her leave the show with a positive ending (having JR by the balls) and the for the movie to be a plot device to bring her back at a later date, in terms of her releasing it and JR having to deal with the PR backlash....

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

E! True Hollywood Story mentions that it was Linda Grey's idea to set up a potential return to the series: have her leave the show with a positive ending (having JR by the balls) and the for the movie to be a plot device to bring her back at a later date, in terms of her releasing it and JR having to deal with the PR backlash....

And yet...that never happened. We were left with J.R. chuckling over how Sue Ellen got him but good.

I have my own issues with the actors who were playing the actors who were Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie. First, the one scene where Sue Ellen, drunk, took the keys and then ultimately "killed" Mickey when her car hit what'shisface's,(though we found out it wasn't Sue Ellen's fault after all), Miss Ellie was breathing fire when she told J.R. "You did it to her again!"

Yet, the actress "playing" Miss Ellie, didn't play it that way--she was tearful herself and used a oh, woe is this family, crying, more 'asking' and shaking her head metaphorically over J.R. doing it again to Sue Ellen. Totally pissed me off and took me out of the scene.

And then the actress "playing" Sue Ellen, couldn't even bother to try to affect a Southern/Texan accent. Pure East. What a crock. And the dude "playing" J.R.? So cheesy.

That said, between watching this show (Thank you CMT!) and the new one, it's no wonder I had a dream about Original!Dallas last night--it was the one where a drunken Sue Ellen is trying to seduce Clayton and Miss Ellie is knocking on his door.

Which brings to mind, can someone refresh my memory until I get my dvds, about Dusty's mother?

When Dusty is presumed to be killed in that plane crash at the end of Season 3, which causes Sue Ellen to fall off the wagon, the news reporter mentioned Dusty's parents; not "his father", but parents.

Then, a year later, when Sue Ellen discovers Dusty is still alive, and we finally meet Clayton, didn't he say his wife, Amy, Dusty's mother, had been dead for years? Like 10 years? Just a continuity goof or am I misremembering?

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Didn't crazy old Jessica Montfort end up being Dusty's mother or somesuch?

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Didn't crazy old Jessica Montfort end up being Dusty's mother or somesuch?

Oh yeah! Forgot about that.

DAMN! CMT just loves to tease me! No more original Dallas! WTF, was it just because the new show premiered and they just wanted to air the last month of the season of Who Shot J.R.? Dammit!dammit!dammit!

Well, at least I get paid this Friday, so my fingers will be typing away and getting the first five seasons on DVD.

Overtime is a VERY GOOD thing! It's allowing me to get the best seasons right away!

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Yeah, Amy Farlow died when Dusty was a child, I believe. Crazy Jessica killed her and then burned the house down (or burned her alive, I don't know if that was ever made clear) because she went nuts any time someone tried to take Dusty away from her (which is why she kidnapped Ellie right before she was supposed to marry Clayton). The weird thing about that whole storyline was that Dusty believed Amy was his mother, but when Jessica kidnapped Ellie the truth came out that SHE was his birth-mother and Clayton and Amy had decided to raise him because Jessie was too young and unmarried. All of the Ewings find out that Dusty's aunt is his real mother, but Clayton fails to inform Dusty of this until like 5 years later when Jessie went around killing all those old farts in Dallas. Oh and the conversation occurs over the phone. Real nice, Clayton!

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Finally got my first five seasons last week and spent the weekend watching the first two seasons. Yes, the first mini-series, or five episodes, are considered the first season.

Yes, one can see it's dated, but damn, I'm loving watching this from the beginning again, because it showed a family doing family things, talking about normal family stuff, and I makes me miss Jock (Jim Davis) so, so much. I often wonder what turn the show would have taken had he not passed away when he did.

And I had totally forgotten that in the first season, J.R. and Sue Ellen had their own separate little house across from the main house, and that the main house wasn't the same one that they got and used from season 2 to the end.

I think the one character that got the most retcons was Jenna. The first one, played by Morgan Fairchild, was portrayed as someone who was no better than she had to be. Jobless, being forced to end an affair with a much older married man who got some state political appointment, and who actually stated that Charlie wasn't Bobby's.

Then in Season 3, I think it was, she was recast and suddenly on good terms with Naldo, sharing custody of Charlie with him and was this interior designer or something. THEN, we meet her again in Season...7, I think it was, as a broke down, poor waitress, who had none of her colored past, except for marrying and divorcing Naldo, yet who could live on a waitress's salary at a very nice and expensive condo. And it wasn't the same condo that Bobby paid for, either.

But, back to the early years. I'm loving them. I miss the Pam from the first two seasons. She didn't take crap and dished it out and didn't whine, and or was she a need, pathetic, missish person. I admit, without shame, that the scenes between her and Bobby in their private moments, I could feel a huge smile on my face.

Such soapy goodness!

I also noticed that Sue Ellen's accent seemed to almost disappear by the second season. Every time she said "Ewing" in the first season, it sounded like "Ewin'" and she was a very cold person. Some of the things that came out of either J.R. or Sue Ellen's mouths, like how Lucy should dress for school had me rolling my eyes, until I remembered what year it was, lol.

And it's really sad to see how Cliff was decimated by season 4, I think it was. He was such a good, strong person in the first couple of seasons. And I was reminded that during his affair with Sue Ellen, she was the needy one, not Cliff.

But I also found myself wanting to slap Sue Ellen upside the head in the second season. She finds out she's pregnant--and she thinks, most likely, it's Cliff's, but she won't leave J.R. Fine, Cliff has no problem, but she just can't stay away. She keeps calling him, asking him what his favorite color is, so she can use that for the nursery. And doesn't even think how Cliff feels about her passing off his child as J.R.'s and how he'll never be able to hold him or her, and when he calls her on it, she says she just wanted to share. For what purpose? She's such a fucking narcissist.

And I think it was natural for them to think it was Cliff's baby, because in the seven years they'd been married, nothing, yet she sleeps with Cliff and six weeks later, she's pregnant. Six weeks AFTER she slept with him the first time.

I also love how Valene had J.R.'s number and wasn't fooled for a second when J.R. was trying to "help" Gary when he came back in "Reunion." I actually loved David Ackroyd as the original Gary, though Ted Shackelford grew on me.

But I will forever wish that David Wayne had continued to play Digger. Like Jack Malloy posted in the new show's thread, he brough a gravatis to the role that the recast never did. The recast just seemed like some...I don't know, he just wasn't Digger. Or Willard. David Wayne was, and I had also forgotten how many episodes he was in. It was nice to see him help Pam, Bobby and Cliff find the annulment papers when that Haynes came to scam some money from Pam and the Ewings.

But I'm so enjoying watching Jock and Ellie together; Miss Ellie's FIRE, Bobby and Pam's love, and just loving to hate J.R. again! And I noticed that his eyebrows haven't changed. I just didn't notice how crazy they were until they turned gray/white!

ilovemoose

ilovemoose

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

When I read about the Dallas reboot on TNT, I decided to check out old clips.....and have found myself caught up in the original stories of Dallas once again. I had a huge crush on Patrick Duffy and loved Bobby and Pam. I just bought seasons 1 and 2 - and have been watching three episodes a night. I'm going to buy the next two seasons as well....

I know the mini series is the first five episodes of season 1, but did we ever see how Bobby and Pam met at the Ewing barbecue? When they married for the second time, there are flashbacks to their first wedding, scenes that are not in the first episode. Did the actors shoot them, but were never aired? And if clips do exist somewhere, can you point me to them?

In re-watching the shows....I remembered just how much of a snake JR was...and how I loved every second of it. He truly was a character you could love to hate. In watching again, I also remembered how much I wanted Sue Ellen to find some balls and walk out on him. I always thought that she was too weak for too long....although I enjoyed her time with Cliff (I just watched these shows, where they first hook up) and wondered what would have happened if Sue Ellen left JR for Cliff.

I hated Jenna....all forms of her. And I wasn't a fan of Mark Graison either. Hell, I hated that Pam and Bobby broke up to begin with, as I felt like they should have been the couple that stuck it out, through all of that stuff.

I watched the Dallas movie- where it all began with a young Ellie, Willard and Jock. There were a few things that didn't match up, but one of them really bugged me. In the movie, it's clear that Digger loved Ellie and she was ready to be with him, until he blew it and then she sleeps with Jock. Then, she tells Jock she's pregnant and he has to marry her. He divorces his first wife (that she didn't know existed) and marries her. When the series begins, it's almost like we are supposed to believe that Jock really loved Ellie, yet, that's not the feeling I had from the movie.

I also think the series shows in part, how tough and at times ruthless Jock was and where JR got some of that from. Seeing that, always made me feel for Digger, although it's clear he never saw what role he played in his own life.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I know the mini series is the first five episodes of season 1, but did we ever see how Bobby and Pam met at the Ewing barbecue? When they married for the second time, there are flashbacks to their first wedding, scenes that are not in the first episode. Did the actors shoot them, but were never aired? And if clips do exist somewhere, can you point me to them?

No, we never did see how Bobby and Pam met at the Ewing barbeque-I think that was just exposition to explain how a "BARNES!" was able to marry a Ewing.

I think when they flashed back to their first marriage/elopement, it was shot at that time--and not from 9 years previous--I could tell from Victoria's hair that it wasn't old footage from '77 or '78 when the mini-series first aired.

I'd forgotten that part from the Ewing movie, so I don't count it as canon--since it was filmed years after the show had started, so I believe what the showrunners of the show said--that Ellie was never in love with Digger--she loved him, but that, despite having to marry Jock to save Southfork, Ellie was in love with him at the time and vice versa. I think Ellie might have said in the early seasons that yes, she and Digger were sweethearts, but when she met Jock, she truly fell in love as a woman falls in love.

I just ordered seasons five and six, so should be getting them next week.

I also hated Jenna in all her forms. And the stupid retcons while she was on the show--in the second season, she confirms that Charlie isn't Bobby's, yet in season 8? when she's on trial? Bobby lies and says Charlie is his, and Pam acts all betrayed (even though they're divorced at this point and she's with Mark fucking-wifestealing Graison), and says Bobby lied to her. Er, no. It never occurs to her why he might have said that. And even before all that, when Naldo comes back, Jenna and Bobby have a scene where he says that she led him to believe that Charlie was his, when hello, in season 2, she said that he wasn't. It isn't even as if the first Jenna appeared in the mini-series, where shit was retconned from there--J.R. and Sue Ellen actually living in the main house instead of having their own separate home, etc.

It's too bad Victoria wanted to leave by the 10th season, because it was supposed to be PamandBobbyFOREVER! as far as I was concerned, and I'm still pissed at the writers, because in that season premiere, after Pam wakes up, she begs Bobby to never leave her, and she does that exact thing a year later. I hated what they did to Pam's character. If Victoria didn't want to come back, fine. They could have always recast her; I mean they found that other actress who could have passed for Victoria's twin. The same actress played Pamela, when she told Cliff that she was in love with her doctor, when Cliff found her, as well as a different character, that real estate agent who Bobby had a fling with to get Pamela out of his system and say his goodbye to her before making up and moving forward with April. Which, yuck. His moving on with April, that is.

unosurvivor

unosurvivor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Boy am I having fun watching this online, everyday a couple of episodes! I am now only on season 3 and although I do remember watching this show back then, I wasn't into it like I am now. I only watched a few episodes now and then. I was in my twenties and always out (good times! good memories!) I love that I found this forum this morning and I love this series soooo much! Bobby is such a wonderful husband and I don't want to know that him and Pam break up! J.R.? What evilness! And I sure am not liking Sue Ellens 'no give a shit' attitude since the poor little baby was born, but as far as right now, it is funny watching J.R. kiss her ass. Her sister just came to the show. That's where I'm at now. Love it!

ilovemoose

ilovemoose

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Thanks Scorpiosrule.

Not only did Pam beg Bobby to never leave her....she was all caught up in them not having a child and then was attached to Christopher from the moment Bobby brought him home (even though he thought he was giving JR his son)and she became a loving, devoted mother to Christopher. It never made sense to me that Pam left Bobby and Christopher the way she did...it was not true to Pam or to the relationship of Bobby and Pam.

I actually stopped watching around the time she left.....I couldn't bare to see Bobby with anyone else - I was not a fan of April at all - not after everything. I would have rather see him be on his own raising his son then anything else. (I don't like now that Bobby is married to some other chick either!)

I just watched the scenes where Pam felt betrayed by Bobby and I thought....Pammy, you're smarter than this and know Bobby and would know that he had a reason for doing what he did. One of the reasons I hated Jenna.....she comes on and wants all of Bobby's attention despite the fact that he was married (and acted as though she had some sort of claim over him even though they were not together and she left him several years prior because she was young and fancy free).....then she disappears (which I was grateful for). Picking up when Bobby leaves her for Pam...she was all bitchy and angry at him. I thought, Jenna, you just told the guy that maybe they should wait to get married, now you're all huffy? And you don't tell him about the baby? And you're pissed that he saved your daughter from a group of bikers who were smoking pot? To me, the writers never made Jenna likeable. She wasn't the one I rooted for....well, unless you count rooting for her to exit stage left and to never return.

I liked Ray...I liked him a lot...even though he was a manwhore most of the time. I liked Ray and his relationship with Bobby (although at first, he seemed to be more along the lines of JR...sleeping with any skirt that passed him by) and I did like Ray and Donna together. I didn't understand the Ray / Jenna stuff when it happened and I still don't. Other than them being two single characters who needed something to do.

In the early Ewing years.....there is a barbecue where Digger tries to kill Jock. There...we see a young Pam with a young Bobby. Pam is taken away just after she and Bobby began playing. They were happy and having fun and then were upset when they were pulled apart. It was a cute little scene.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

In the early Ewing years.....there is a barbecue where Digger tries to kill Jock. There...we see a young Pam with a young Bobby. Pam is taken away just after she and Bobby began playing. They were happy and having fun and then were upset when they were pulled apart. It was a cute little scene.

I love that scene, and how sad wee Bobby is when Pam gets dragged away. Sigh...

Oh! Another thing that made me suddenly roll my eyes. The Ewings are rich. Wealthy. Powerful. Yet Sue Ellen, for the first couple of years, has the kind of car that only middle class persons would drive. I mean, have you seen that station wagon?

Bobby's got a spankin' cool sports car.

Pam's got a Porsche--okay, yeah, Bobby bought it for her.

J.R.'s got a Mercedes.

Jock's got his..Caddy?

And Lucy also, when she finally got a car, again, courtesy of Bobby, it weren't no cheesy station wagon!

Even when J.R. was recovering from being shot, the new car he got Sue Ellen? Another station wagon.

What the hell?

Yippee! Seasons five and six arrived last night!