House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24633 replies to this topic

cam3150

cam3150

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 09:51 AM

Watched the Manhattan Beach episode last night, not sure if it was new or a rerun. Oh my goodness, how spoiled was the wife??? It was so funny when her Mom called her on it too.  Nearly $1 million for that tiny house when the one for $750k-ish was much larger and could have been made into what they wanted.  She should have listened to her Mom and I hated when her husband caved. Her nasaly voice drove me crazy too. It was like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Seriously, how do people that are so young even come close to affording a million dolllar "starter" home? The husband was right, how are they going to have a family in that tiny house?

celinenano

celinenano

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:10 AM

Watched the Manhattan Beach episode last night, not sure if it was new or a rerun. Oh my goodness, how spoiled was the wife??? It was so funny when her Mom called her on it too.  Nearly $1 million for that tiny house when the one for $750k-ish was much larger and could have been made into what they wanted.  She should have listened to her Mom and I hated when her husband caved. Her nasaly voice drove me crazy too. It was like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Seriously, how do people that are so young even come close to affording a million dolllar "starter" home? The husband was right, how are they going to have a family in that tiny house?

This was discussed several months back when the episode initially aired.

The home represented a very good investment because of its location. The real estate agent pointed out that the house could be extensively enlarged and be in Code - it could go up. They were essentially buying very valuable coastal land with a house and the opportunity to build a larger house if they desired.

They made the wisest decision IMO because the house represented the lifestyle both of them wanted at the moment. It has probably appreciated since purchase and they would either be able to buy a larger home or expand the home if they wanted to keep the location and wanted more space.

The other homes were in the completely unremarkable city of Torrance as I recall.

ETA And many people come from wealthy backgrounds and parents are more than happy to help purchase a home since it's a solid investment. Homes and education are the kinds of things most parents help out with even if they aren't wealthy. My grandparents (working class) gave my parents help with the downpayment on their first home. My parents (middle class) gave me the downpayment for my first home. They wouldn't have given me money for a trip or a car but a house was different.

Edited by celinenano, Today, 11:13 AM.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Today, 10:12 PM

Dear HHI lady in Andorra. You're too old to dress in skirts that short, your bleach blonde hair looks like straw, and your voice sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. Oh yeah... And this is a personal pet peeve of mine, put on some pantyhose. You look tacky and unfinished. What the heck did the guy see in her? Is she that good in bed?

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Today, 10:35 PM

The couple in DeSoto, suburb of Fort Worth -- I was embarrassed for the husband, hugging the granite countertop, but other than that, they weren't too bad. 

I think this was the first time I heard a Hunter consider the cost of heating and cooling a large house.  Kudos for that.