House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24628 replies to this topic

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 7:15 PM

I watched the renovation episode late at night and had to turn it off because I was falling asleep.  You guys are telling me that that green zebra thing I faintly recall seeing was something they installed as opposed to ripped out?  It looked like a very aggressive fungus. I now have to watch to rest of the episode to enjoy the horror.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 7:37 PM

qtype - I'm surprised you could fall asleep looking at their garish finishes. That interior would prevent me from ever sleeping again. :)

ScoutsMyBoy

ScoutsMyBoy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:02 PM

I couldn't decide whose voice was more annoying, the Indianapolis House Hunter's or the realtor's. Thanks to this forum, I have become very attuned to vocal fry, valley speak, uptalk, etc. and often I find myself paying less attention to what they're saying than how they're saying it.

magemaud, sing it sister and/or brother!  I literally did turn it off!  She seemed like a nice girl and all ... what with the sleeve tattoos and, was that a stud between her nose and her mouth or was that a birth mark? ... but I was so distracted and irritated with her voice that I just couldn't.

I wanted to make another comment but don't remember what it was.  Be right back.

I got it:

you've reminded me of that tub that fills from the ceiling.  I've never used one, but I'd worry that there would be quite a lot of splashing as the tub filled, since the water stream comes from that high up.

Yeah, that's definitely a First World Problem.  (i thought the same thing!)

Edited by ScoutsMyBoy, Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:05 PM.

12thNite

12thNite

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:55 AM

Exactly. Why is a faucet in the ceiling something to be desired??

Another thing that made me chuckle was that they decided to buy the house (which I thought was kinda cute actually, before they "renovated" it) because it was in the "Beverly Hills of Encino." Alrighty then.

MSea

MSea

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Exactly. Why is a faucet in the ceiling something to be desired??

It's not.  In fact try getting a nice hot bath after the water has cooled off for 8 feet.  Plus forget a great bubble bath.  It splashes about but never really gets good bubbles going.

It looks cool.  That's about it.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

No one has commented yet on the fact that this part of the renovation went $100,000 over their original budget.  Maybe if they had backed off on some of that granite/marble the overrun wouldn't have been so much.  It ended up looking like a granite/marble sales showroom by the time it was over.  If they ever try to sell this house, the buyer is going to have to love hard stone surfaces or have enough money to rip out some of it.

Someone mentioned they were paying two mortgages.  I think they wanted to wait until they moved into the renovated house to put their first house on the market.  Would be interesting to find out what their first house sold for, or if it sold yet since she said they would be using some of the proceeds to replenish their bank account and begin phase 2 of the renovation. 

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

They had already started phase two (the roof), despite not yet selling their old house and having gone $100k over budget on phase one.  If the roof needed to be replaced, I'd have put that in phase one, and if it had a few years left in it, I'd have waited until the old house sold to lay out yet another $25k. 

And, yes, their stated reason for carrying two mortgages was not wanting to move into the new house until renovations were done - they didn't want the baby exposed to all the construction dust and noise.

bucketyell

bucketyell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:20 PM

Then sell and rent something until the renos are done.  Or are they too good to rent something even temporarily?   Think of all the extra marble that savings would have bought... snerk.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:35 PM

Then sell and rent something until the renos are done.  Or are they too good to rent something even temporarily?   Think of all the extra marble that savings would have bought... snerk.

Since they seemed to have more money than taste, maybe they also have more money than common sense.

Edited by chessiegal, Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:36 PM.

TwirlyGirly

TwirlyGirly

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

Absolutely adored Ed, the British adventurer moving to Magnetic Island (a place I'd never heard of until I started watching HHI).

I loved his laid-back attitude and complete lack of pretentiousness.

My favorite part:

Realtor: Here we have the lovely galley-style kitchen with granite tops.
Ed: Granite tops?
Realtor: Granite tops.
Ed: So when it all goes wrong in the kitchen I can just pound my fists on them in rage because I can't cook. Is that right? Is that why you get granite?

If I was 20 years younger, I'd marry him in a heartbeat.

(Who am I kidding? I'd marry him now, despite the age difference - if he'd have me!)

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

Thank you for that, TwirlyGirly! He probably got himself an instant fan club with that comment! I used to hate watch HHI when I had cable. Now I just keep up via the marvelous snark here.

TwirlyGirly

TwirlyGirly

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

I just found Ed's blog. It's hilarious:

http://edgamester.co...ob-application/

Enjoy!

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Absolutely adored Ed, the British adventurer moving to Magnetic Island (a place I'd never heard of until I started watching HHI).

I loved the conversation between him and his brother where they both admitted it would be great to be apart.

And the bimbo/model who turned out to be completely practical and a good influence.

"What's your cooking style?"

"Slapdash at best."

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

On the renovation the other night she had a designer named Preston. I think he was a contestant on one of the seasons of HG Design Star.. Anybody remember him?

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:05 PM

NYGirl, I don't remember Preston, but if he was a contestant, it's obvious why he didn't win after seeing what he did with that house.  Talk about marble/granite overkill.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:48 PM

I was disappointed in the Birmingham episode - more specifically the wacky wife. My husband grew up in Alabama, went to college in Birmingham, and we have good friends who live there that we visit often. I wish they had been more specific about neighborhoods, although my husband was able to make some good guesses. The wife was the typical quirky house hunter this show seems to love. And what was up with her eye makeup?

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:59 PM

What was up with her outfits?? Looked like they were left over from the 80's. Turtlenecks under dresses. So dowdy!

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:09 PM

What was up with her outfits?? Looked like they were left over from the 80's. Turtlenecks under dresses. So dowdy!          

I was going to mention that too. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Turtlenecks AND leggings.

mountainair

mountainair

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:01 AM

Last night on HHI a couple was moving to Nice. The husband was such a jackass. He seemed very condescending towards the wife and still hung up on his deceased ex wife. I fell asleep before they chose. I'm guessing they went with house number three?

MSea

MSea

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 8:13 AM

I'm guessing they went with house number three?

Of course they did.  How could the husband truly experience his inner Frenchness in the city?  He must have the mountains.  But not too close to Paris where his love still lives with his dead wife?  I knew the house with the American kitchen wasn't going to be a choice since it was one of the obvious 'people still live here and aren't moving' staged choices.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 8:36 AM

The wife of the Birmingham couple is going to be very uncomfortable in those outfits when the summer heat hits the south.  The woman was afraid of everything.  Taking a towel to the chairs in the yard to avoid sitting where germs might be was very weird.  Wait until she sees her first southern cockroach. Her exterminator is going to make a fortune on this woman.  The husband seemed reasonable.  Makes me wonder how these people ever got together except she did say that she set her sights on him the moment she saw him, so maybe she was able to suppress all those weird phobias until he was hooked.  The realtor even thought the wife was odd, and I loved his comment to the husband that curtains would take care of the view of the neighbors.

The Nice episode has some nice scenery and the small town where they bought was beautiful.  The husband did seem to still be grieving his first love, which was a bit awkward in the storyline.  Wonder how long they have been there?

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:14 AM

That Birmingham woman has to be the top 10 of wierd HH'ers.  Makeup, phobia's, mannerisms, and clothing....

It just made me wonder how anyone could be friends with or work with someone like her, she is just so out of it odd..

cam3150

cam3150

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

I was disappointed in the Birmingham episode

Me too. I actually live in a suburb of Birmingham and have since 1988.  We are all discussing the episode at work today.To hear the wife tell it, we are overrun with spiders, snakes, scorpians, and GERMS!!!  I didn't realize there were no bugs whatsoever in Boston.  The big spider they did show was just an Orb spider. Yes, they are very terrifying to see because they are soooo big but they are totally harmless. Not to say we don't have poiosonous spiders here, that just was not one of them. Also, while there are scorpians, they are not a huge deal. I've never seen one, nor do I know anyone who has.

The funniest part was how she kept saying that the house that was 25 minutes out of town was in the "boonies" or "the country".  Ummmm...no, sweetie. It's called a suburb.  If you think that was the country, you need you horizons boadened.  A lot.  We've got plenty of boonies and country, but that neighborhood would not qualify.

I also wish they would have given the neighborhoods. They do so most of the time on this show and when they are finally in my town, they give no information whatsoever about where the homes were. 

I was trying to figure out what time of year it was. He asked her how she was doing in the heat but we had a very mild summer last year (we barely even reached 90 for most of the summer and the humidity was not too bad) and it's been mostly cold since December.  I guess our mild summer may have seemed hot to them.  Just wait until we have a real Alabama summer with strings of 100 degree days and the AWFUL Southern humidity.  On the flip side, I'm sure they got a big laugh at how we freaked out when it actually snowed here a few times this winter.

She was killing me with taking towels down to chairs outside to sit in.  Clearly she has bigtime OCD when it comes to "germs".  She must be a total joy to live with.

Yeah, I was wondering what was up with her outfit too. 

Her one valid concern was the tornadoes. It's not a matter of if one will hit, it's when. She was right to be worried about that and to want a basement. We are in the heart of Dixie Alley, which is as dangerous, if not more so, than the better known Tornado Alley. I've had to take shelter countless times, and about 7 of those times were situations where a tornado was actually in the area. On April 27, 2011 different tornadoes in totally different parts of the state destoryed my grandparents home, my aunt's home, and my brother's town.  That day was different & historic but, most of the time, around here it's not like the Plains. We have too many trees and mountains, and a lot of our tornadoes are rain-wrapped, so you don't actually see them coming. 

Overall, I thought the show represented Alabama well. Normally we are portrayed as a bunch of un-educated hicks who live in run-down mobile homes and are married to our cousins.

Edited by cam3150, Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:28 AM.

kottowitzke

kottowitzke

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 6:38 PM

Could someone please tell me which house the quirky Birmingham couple picked?  I fell asleep during the 3rd house and woke up to the couple in Nice, France.  Both couples were equally weird last night!  Thanks in advance.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 6:43 PM

I think they bought the house "in the boonies" as she called it with the "scary" spider. At the end they showed them sitting in the back yard and she had her chair covered with a beach towel and holding another one in her lap. She was indeed odd.

Edited by chessiegal, Apr 16, 2014 @ 6:44 PM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

Happened to see the Birmingham episode and was impressed (in general) with how they showed the city.

celine, JMHO but I don't believe the editors' attempt to gain writing credits you mentioned above relates to HH/HHI.  Yes, the post-production professionals hope to score a bigger share of the reality TV pie.  Although the editors have their own professional guild, some of them apparently hope to join the WGA (writers' union) because it's believed to be more powerful, politically. 

The writing they're talking about relates more to reality TV programs that include ongoing character development during either a season (e.g. The Bachelor) or the life of the series (e.g. any of the RH franchises or The Kartrashians).  For those programs, the post-production team may essentially write the program as they select footage to develop the ongoing characters.  In addition, they may shoot add'l scenes (B-roll) to write/develop the ongoing characters.

This type of character development doesn't occur IMHO for HH.  They don't shoot add'l footage.  No, the team doesn't return in 3 months (or whatever the banner indicates) to shoot any follow-up footage.  First and foremost, the casting professionals work hard to find the wackiest people with OCD or a turtle (or whatever) who want their 15 minutes of fame.  Then, during 4- 10 hour days of shooting, they try to draw out that individual's quirks to score the best footage possible. 

As they walk through the homes, the team suggests comments to the participants.  Nothing is scripted, semi or otherwise - unless you consider the repetitive, canned comments about wood burning fireplace v. gas fireplaces, the husband's closet space, a bidet or stainless steel or ... as scripting.  The post-production team, after-the-fact, edits up to 40 hours of footage to find the best drama for each episode.

That's the HH/HHI process.  The drama is suggested during filming.  Yes, someone probably reviews the applicant's information to get the best drama but I doubt they even bother to prepare storyboards for each episode.  It's more like a member of the production team saying something like, "Wouldn't this be a great room for your turtle?" as they walk through a home.  Or, "Your turtle would love to take a bath in this bathtub, right?"  For the Birmingham episode, who knows, perhaps the team planted that spider outside the window and then showed it to the woman to get her reaction!

Given HH/HHI's ongoing success, they'll keep filming on a shoestring in this manner with a relatively small production team, rolling in the $$$ - as long as their ratings continue.  JMHO and YMMV.

Edited by diydude, Apr 16, 2014 @ 6:48 PM.

MSea

MSea

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

I was going to mention that too. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Turtlenecks AND leggings.

This is obviously modesty clothing.  Many Jewish women opt for modest dress.  Did you notice that the only time you saw the skin on her legs was during soccer?  I am sure if we saw her weeding picture you would see her wearing a wig so that her natural hair was not seen.  It's fairly common on the east coast but I don't see it much with Jewish friends here in the midwest.

Ifound their relationship really easy going.  He was right there messing with her about the look or smell of something.  She absolutely knew that her phobias were funny to other people.  

12thNite

12thNite

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 AM

I actually enjoyed the Birmingham episode. Yeah, she was odd, but they both had a sense of humor about the process and her phobias, which goes a long way with me. Also, they weren't going on and on about granite, stainless steel etc. - their must have list was unique, at least. I did my graduate work in Montgomery and visited Birmingham a few times, so I was also happy to see a more balanced view of life in that part of the country. I also thought the house they picked was the best of what they saw.

However, after watching this episode and the one last night in Myrtle Beach, I am convinced that going forward the star of this show is going to be the Buick Enclave. What are the odds that BOTH real estate agents are driving one (and you can even talk to it, too). Product placement, much?

ETA: or everything MSea said...

Edited by 12thNite, Yesterday, 10:09 AM.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

I had a totally different take on the couple moving to Nice.  I decided the husband was so hung up on the dead ex-wife because he made the mistake of dating too soon and found a gold-digger who trapped him right quick with a "surprise" pregnancy.  Geesh...I thought the wife looked like she could barely tolerate his presence.  He couldn't say one little thing without her rolling her eyes or making some snotty comeback.  Did not dig her at all.  And if the 4 year old hadn't been shown going down the slide at the park, I would have been convinced she wasn't able to walk and that's why she had to be wheeled around in that giant stroller or carried at all times. 

Also, is Adrian the only realtor in France?  But you've got to love her!