House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24645 replies to this topic

Iwonder

Iwonder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

I think last night's Australian episode finally reached the outer limits of human credibility. Those two women were the most intimate "total strangers" I've ever seen. If you're going to try passing off a complete fiction as reality, at least come up with a story that's remotely believable. This was the worst. Git along, little fraulein.

Well put. I couldn't help but notice how Ms. Aussie boss was looking at her new roommate. I think fraulein was looking for more than a rodeo job on the internet.

TinselStar

TinselStar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

I think last night's Australian episode finally reached the outer limits of human credibility. Those two women were the most intimate "total strangers" I've ever seen. If you're going to try passing off a complete fiction as reality, at least come up with a story that's remotely believable. This was the worst. Git along, little fraulein.

Thank you! I thought I was reading too much into the situation. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my beliefs. The 'fights' over the biggest bedrooms nearly did me in. Nothing about their so-called arrangement rang true. Come on, House Hunters, your viewers aren't that slow on the draw!

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

I have reached the point when HHI is in Australia I click it off.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

I finally saw the turtle lady episode. I hated her! What an entitled ass she was, ugh. It was totally shocking that they picked the McMansion (not!) I felt so bad for the guy- that is not in any way an equal relationship and he needs to run away- fast. (And don't these people get plenty of advanced notice they're going to be on TV? Why the 2 in black roots, blondie?) That house was huge and really, really ugly. You just know who is going to be cleaning, because turtle lady sure as heck isn't going to break a sweat.

I loved how the realtor told them look, we've seen enough houses, decide already. If only that wasn't probably scripted, I'd love it even more!

And I also saw the Budapest couple- awww, now these two I liked, a lot! The poor guy was choking back tears with his dish made with hungarian paprika (I just bought some last week!!) but kept his game face on. You could tell they were so happy to be able to live and experience a different culture. It was too bad they couldn't afford that place on the danube but it was a smart decision.

The Jamaican single mother who moved to Atlanta and then to some place in Marlton, NJ, but was working in NYC. with a 12 y/o and 19 y/o living in the house; I couldn't believe she was willing to make a 2 1/2 hour commute each way! And it didn't sound like she was moving closer because her kids didn't like living in the city. I'd say tough noogies, when you live on your own, you can live where you want. How can you parent when you're on the road 5 hours and at work a minimum of 8?? The place they bought was generic as all get out but at least they all had some room to move around.

And the other one I caught today was the family moving to Geneva. There was some weird vibe I had from them, almost like she kind of resented her husband because she moved away from her family so now she wanted him to leave his as well?

I can't imagine paying $7,400. for a crappy first floor fishbowl apartment but if those three places were the only choices, it didn't seem like they had an option but to take it. That second house was fabulous but really double the budgeted price is just crazy. It's like they set their budget based on what they wanted to pay not what was realistic to the area.

I probably ask this every other show but what DO the people on these shows get paid anyway, to afford some of the places they buy/rent?

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 3:22 AM

Often a lot of the HHI people have a job that pays their living expenses/gives them a housing budget (teacher in private school in Rome ep, IIRC her budget was 4500 euros a month, lol. Initially the Canadian diplomat family in Brussels who later had to find private housing as his turn ended, but secured a very tony job anyway. or IIRC many of the eps in Asia) Others are usually rich expats to begin with (wasn't there a woman married to Louis Malle's son?), or are auto scions (woman from Utah moving to Torino with her "ski bum" Italian boyfriend, who actually is from a wealthy family associated with supplying parts for FIAT) etc etc.

I probably ask this every other show but what DO the people on these shows get paid anyway, to afford some of the places they buy/rent?

ETA: I mentioned a woman a few weeks ago who turned down doing HHI in Italy because she realized how phony it can be while corresponding with producers. I just spoke with her and she also mentioned that the offer for them was 1500 USD towards both plane tickets (her + husband) back home to shoot the "goodbye" scenes and backstory. She told them that amount wouldn't cut it for 2 tickets round trip to the west coast and they told her "ok, well since you lived in another Italian city before Florence, we'll just film you there for the backstory." Basically, her new back story would be created (she had lived in the other city for 6 weeks....lol) Oh, HH.

Edited by diorella78, Mar 12, 2013 @ 6:44 AM.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 5:48 AM

Did anyone see the new episode with the LA couple looking for a place on the beach? I almost did a spit take when they both said they were only 26 years old. In my eyes, they both looked at least ten years older. I am not saying they were unattractive, just very aged for 26.

Anyway, good on them for being able to afford a more then half million dollar place in LA that is near the beach. I am glad that tree was not putting strain on the foundation, because the story was kind of awesome, and it would be a shame to cut it down.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

Did anyone see the new episode with the LA couple looking for a place on the beach? I almost did a spit take when they both said they were only 26 years old. In my eyes, they both looked at least ten years older. I am not saying they were unattractive, just very aged for 26.

Yes.

I was looking at the couple and was thinking, "I've never seen a couple in their thirties announce their ages," and then my mind did a rewind of their words and I was pretty stunned that they were so young. Maybe they'll be those people who retain those same looks well into their 40s in which case, people will marvel at how well they wear their age.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

I liked the LA couple last night. A nice, normal couple buying their first house. I liked that while they wanted to to be close to the beach when they realized they couldn't afford that location, they seemed to be able to compromise on certain features they had to have. She didn't criticize his desire for a garage and workshop. He said he was handy with tools, and I thought it was very sweet at the end when he said his new workshop reminded him of his grandfather's workshop. His handyman skills will save them a lot of money on home reno over the years. I also liked his statement about not being daunted by a large yard and mowing because that's what he grew up doing. All in all, a home run episode in my book after many, many episodes of "I have to have granite drama queens".

Iwonder

Iwonder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

The LA episode was refreshing. At last, a couple that actually appeared to love and respect one another.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

I really wish they'd show more house buyers like the ones last night. Very likeable and an enjoyable episode. I also liked that they were in LA for a change...instead of the usual places like Austin and Atlanta.

I couldn't get over the first house they saw. It really proved that it's so hard to actually see passed a ton of clutter and boy was that house cluttered.

I caught the end of one this afternoon that I'm sure was a rerun where the guy actually needed the man cave for his musical instruments yet the wife took it over for her "painting". Meanwhile he had all his musical instruments in the family room. Sometimes I can't believe the people in this show.

Edited by NYGirl, Mar 12, 2013 @ 12:15 PM.

halsfan

halsfan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Too bad the South Bay couple couldn't manage the size of the project involved in the house with an ocean view as I imagine it would be a very good investment over time. However, it was clear that the property was more work than they could handle or afford. They were a breath of fresh air. They kept trying to find something positive to say about each house (like the stainless steel trim around the aging tile in one bathroom he liked or the old-fashioned closet doors she found "beachy") despite the fact that all three properties were pretty rundown. Someone must have inadvertently left their HH script of bitchy dialogue back at the studio.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

The young couple moving to Spain got on my nerves. Actually, the guy was ok, but the woman kept harping on the, OMG, orange bedspread! As though you have to keep that in your furnished rental. Then she complained about not knowing what to do with a balcony area that had been walled in, with windows...in a tiny apartment, you should be grateful to have any extra space at all! Then she complained about the original Spanish tile in another apartment. And then she complained about the view. Damn, what do you want for $500 a month?

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

I really wish they'd show more house buyers like the ones last night. Very likeable and an enjoyable episode. I also liked that they were in LA for a change...instead of the usual places like Austin and Atlanta.

I couldn't get over the first house they saw. It really proved that it's so hard to actually see passed a ton of clutter and boy was that house cluttered.

I just watched this one too- and I loved that couple. They *did* look much older than their stated ages, like was mentioned above but they clearly loved each other, was willing to compromise what they needed and the guy waxing nostalgic over his grandfathers bench and the yard comments made me just like him more than I otherwise did.

And yeah, I couldn't see past the clutter either- what a mess. Why don't people just rent a storage unit when they're selling? Tho that house needed a roll-off dumpster or three if we're getting real here.

I caught the end of one this afternoon that I'm sure was a rerun where the guy actually needed the man cave for his musical instruments yet the wife took it over for her "painting". Meanwhile he had all his musical instruments in the family room. Sometimes I can't believe the people in this show.

I disliked her so much! The guy should just RUN AWAY. That guy's drums will be gone in six months.

edited:

The young couple moving to Spain got on my nerves. Actually, the guy was ok, but the woman kept harping on the, OMG, orange bedspread! As though you have to keep that in your furnished rental. Then she complained about not knowing what to do with a balcony area that had been walled in, with windows...in a tiny apartment, you should be grateful to have any extra space at all! Then she complained about the original Spanish tile in another apartment. And then she complained about the view. Damn, what do you want for $500 a month?

What pissed me off about her was that they knew for *months* they were moving to Spain but she never bothered to learn even the basics of spanish? It's called Rosetta Stone, lady! (and wouldn't he know the language if he was teaching?)

And in that last apartment was 100/month lower than their stated budget so, buy a fricken rug to put over the tile- sheesh!

I did like that she chose the place she wasn't a fan of, so that he wouldn't have to take a bus every day, though even if it meant giving up the beach at her backdoor. I LOVED that terrace!

Edited by callietwo, Mar 12, 2013 @ 1:11 PM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

That first home was suitable only for someone who wanted to strip it to the studs and renovate it - a lot of money both because it would take a lot of time to make it even livable and a lot of money since it's not the kind of DIY project one can do in one's free time.

As far as I'm concerned, when you have towels stuck in the ceiling because of leaks and plastic over the tiles in the bathroom, the place goes well beyond being updated as it looks as though it has not been maintained to the point where there would be structural issues.

And who knows if the place was really on the market in terms of it needing staging. In any event, a place like that is solely for professionals and they wouldn't particularly care about the clutter. It might even be an inducement. My realtor friends say the easiest homes to sell are those which are fixed up nicely or wrecks that can be advertised as "handy man specials" or other nomenclature indicating a wreck. Psychologically, it's hardest to sell a home that has been renovated poorly or in a half ass way because people assume they are paying for someone else's bad renovation.

leila6

leila6

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

I liked the LA couple, too. I kind of love that she said "honey-do list" in a non-demanding way. I think they'll fix their house up nicely over time. The first house they showed was a steal--for someone with a $700k+ budget who could rip it down to the foundations and reno it properly. It actually was a "gut job."

On a totally shallow note, I wish Chandler would get different eyeglasses. Hers were fun and quirky, but they made her eyes look closer set and smaller than they are. I think softer, less obtrusive frames would be more flattering on her.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

I dozed off last night and didn't see which house the Breckinridge couple picked. Can someone tell me?

They were miles apart in what they were looking for.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

They picked the first one. The log cabin out of town. Loved that one but for the kitchen. It was hideous IMO.

Iwonder

Iwonder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

They picked the first one. The log cabin out of town. Loved that one but for the kitchen. It was hideous IMO.

Seemed so odd to see that in a house with all the typical log-cabin features. I thought the custom railing with the aspens was out of place as well.

Even one of the buyers said the kitchen looked like something from an apt. in South Beach.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

HHI, Reno to Wellington, NZ

Young-ish, musical couple wanting to start seeing the world goes to Wellington when he gets an engineering job there. Here's a first for me: they have $1600 a month to spend and are told that they will be able to find something on the high end of the Wellington market. They were a nice couple who was looking forward to seeing how, after 4 years of marriage, they'd do totally on their own, together a lot.

I appreciate the spareness of the Australian/NZ homes I've seen so far. Here are people who have plenty but don't seem to do grandiose like we Americans tend to do.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

The Wellington couple ended up rejecting one house because it was unfurnished though, and I'd think you could rent furniture there to start with, just like can in the US.
I am glad that he's not having to deal with driving on the opposite side of the road every day. Safer for all.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

I just checked the climate info for Wellington, and the wife had reason to be concerned about heating in that first house which they chose. It had no central heat,the fireplace did not work and the realtor said there was no insulation in the house. I am assuming there were electric space heaters because gas was not available at that house either. The climate info says Wellington is subject to "southerly blasts" (from Antarctica) which make the temperature seem colder than it is, plus it has high humidity which can result in cold, clammy days. The info I consulted also said that Wellington is very windy. The view was beautiful from the house they chose, but I probably would invest in some fuzzy slippers and a couple of warm sweaters

elisabethbaci

elisabethbaci

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

dont know if this has already been mentioned but...

SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED A GOOD SAUSAGE!!!!

lindiana53

lindiana53

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

Orlando couple Parag and Puja got the classic cheapskate edit. I wonder if Parag got that nice BMW he was driving at salvage. They were a very cute couple, but the editors need to be consistent with what they show.

I hope Wellington wife is OK with the pick. She settled for the house her husband wanted, but her issues with the lack of heating were reasonable. No central heat in a cold climate is roughing it.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

HHI Westchester, NY to Paris, France

Wow. 22 years old. Has $500,000 to spend on an apartment in Paris. Better neighborhood and two, but not one bedroom? Okay, I'll up the budget to $600,000.

Lucky girl.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

Lucky girl, indeed. I was wondering just how much inheritance she got that she could afford $600,000 for an apartment in Paris, must have been millions. Not to mention how much she's probably spending on shopping sprees and French wine, lol.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

That 22-year-old grad student buying an apartment in Paris with inherited money confused me. She really, really wanted to live in the Marais district and her realtor told her she could never get a two bedroom apartment with her $500,000 US budget. OK. She seeemed to understand the limits of her budget and to be sticking to them.

But then she was able to come up with $600,000 US for a two bedroom apartment in the 19th? But they never showed or talked about finding a place in the Marais at twenty percent (or more) over the original budget. And she so very much wanted to live there! Or so she said. I just couldn't follow this "story line" at all.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

I was confused too. She was kind of fake sophisticated, trying to be like Audrey Hepburn or something. Did she have a job?

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

The whole Rye to Paris was understated to say the least LOL.

Rye is hardly the "small town" - it's a town where the 1% live. Lots of Wall Street types commute up there.

I think "inheritance" was a euphemism for coming into all or a portion of her trust. I suspect a portion as most wealthy people don't get access to the entire corpus of the trust at 21.

Of course, the corpus can generally be *invaded* (used) if the Trustee feels it's for a worthy purpose - i.e. not just to piss it away. Often, it will be used to buy homes or for education - less often education since many wealthy parents of trust fund kids fully fund education anyway.

I think that the original budget was $500,000 but since there was plenty of money in her trust, a decision was made that the 2 bedroom apartment for $600,000 made economic sense. Which of course it did as it was far nicer than the other apartments and is probably not going to decline in value.

As I recall, the girl was doing some form of graduate work at a French institution as she differentiated this from her other studies abroad which were probably done as exchange programs with her college.

I thought she was fine for a 22 year old - she isn't a wastrel as are many trust fund kids.

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

I also found the Paris episode confusing. I did not like the agent at all. She was rather rude, and I really wanted to see our favourite agent, the lady with the full frizzy hair and glasses, that agent always came through with something fab, and would have been perfect for the Trust Fund girl. Liked the girl, but thought her agent was eeekkk!!!

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

I suspect a portion as most wealthy people don't get access to the entire corpus of the trust at 21.

Imagine. That $600K might've just been 10% of the inheritance for all we know.

The Audrey Hepburn reference was funny. She seemed like a regular person to me, though. Maybe more like Mary Tyler Moore, only Paris instead of Minneapolis.