House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24628 replies to this topic

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

He was the boyfriend. I assume he was just talking up the house she had already purchased and talking down the other ones. Her thinking was so illogical, though. She actually said that the fixtures could be a deal-breaker. The house is perfect except that you don't like the faucet, so you won't buy the house? Nutty.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Perimeter is the I-285 loop around Atlanta and is a typical way to refer to where things are.

Thanks for enlightening me. She wouldn't shut up about it though and it got on my nerves.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

The Atlanta woman with the faucet fetish did seem a little shortsighted - they're faucets, you can change them. But then I remembered the comments from people who'd been on the show that they were told to play up their issue - fixtures in her case, back yard, 'man cave,' etc., in other cases. Of course, you look all kinds of nuts when you're in a beautiful house and you complain that the fixtures are a deal breaker.

I wonder how often she has her relatives over or if she and the boyfriend were planning on getting married, 'cause she was looking at some big ole houses. That's a lot to take care of - or a lot to pay for if you have maid service come in.

So was the house she bought the one with all the stairs? That's gonna get old real quick. Especially for the boyfriend. You don't have to be 80 to find fewer steps an appealing feature.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

I had to LOL...it's "Menifee" (I have a family member who lives there) and it's not in L.A.

Well, my eyesight is bad, and I couldn't really hear what they said very clearly, either. So, my bad on that one. I know it isn't in L.A. though, if that matters. I mean when we leave L.A. we are really gonna leave L.A. The show said it is about 80 miles south of L.A. Might as well stay where we are, is what I meant.

Redneon

Redneon

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Shoot, I grew up in Southern California and I'd never heard of Menifee until I had to drive out to Riverside county to go watch my then-boyfriend skydive (zzzzz). It's not a large community, but there are some fairly new housing developments and the homes themselves are nice. I saw the couple in the episode sitting out by the "fake lake" in my family member's community. The house prices have gone down out there as well, however. My family member told me that he is still upside down on his home even though his is comparable to one of the homes shown on the episode that was listed at $240,000.

I too would stay in L.A. because the commute is horrible from there and there's nothing around but desert. Oh, and a retirement community the next town over.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Today I got to see the "picky" girl (their word) who lived in an Atlanta apartment and was out to buy a house. She was picky alright. I never saw anyone who was so particular about little things like the bathroom fixtures, sink fixtures and cabinet handles. She was ready to throw the entire house to the wind if one of those little things wasn't to her liking! Luckily for her, she had an angel of a realtor who kept his cool.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 2, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Saw the episode about the couple buying a house in Houston. The prices on those houses were incredibly low considering the square footage involved (2200+ sq ft)! Anyone know where those houses are located in the Houston area? The second house looked like someone had gone to the paint store and bought a can of every color. Wow - what a paint job that was going to be. Some of the colors weren't bad, but all of them together made the place look like a rainbow. I had to agree with the husband who was very disappointed in the backyard of the house they bought, but at the end he said the house was exactly what they wanted and they could work with the yard. A little sweat equity, some dirt and grading, and lots of plants should make the yard look better in just one growing season in Houston.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

When they said 80 miles from LA and mentioned Lake Elsinore, I knew where Menifee was located and wasn't that surprised by the market prices. One thing about the Vietnam guy WRT their apparent entitlement, he also mentioned outdated bathroom fixtures. (They were fine, IMHO - weren't even shiny brass.) His wife harped on and on about granite at every house, even though they had purchased the first home with its outdated tile, probably b/c it was very accessible. They also repeatedly used the standard lines about duplicating the features of their previous home (TX, for them).

Must be difficult for the hhs to come up with fresh lines as they walk through these homes. It's just tiresome for the viewer. Wonder if bathroom fixtures is now part of the regular HH shtick. Gotta' tick that box, too! (yuch - detest that line)

WRT the SF to Norfolk Island episode (catching up the dvr), they did include a shot of the dw at her restaurant. Incidentally, they mentioned she was both chef and owner. They've lived there for awhile.

All, IMHO.

Edited by diydude, May 3, 2012 @ 6:20 PM.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Laredhead,
Houses in Houston rarely appreciate much at all, but they do tend to hold their value. It is fairly astounding what you can get for your money. We live in a gated community with houses that have as standard amenities granite countertops in the kitchen, all the bathrooms, and the laundry room, in-ground sprinkler system, cedar garage doors, tile and hardwood floors, etc. A recent newspaper article that listed the price per square foot for houses in every neighborhood in this enormous metropolitan area said that houses in our neighborhood, which is only three years old and not yet built out, were selling for $88 per square foot.

When we were looking at houses, we were shown an older house that was over 3000 square feet and had some interesting architectural detail, was in fairly good repair but needed some new kitchen appliances, and had a gorgeous pool with tropical landscaping. It was in a beautiful established neighborhood with lovely mature trees, a large clubhouse, multiple tennis courts, and two pools. The HOA annual dues were only a couple hundred dollars, and the house was on the market for only $233,000!

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

We lived in Houston for 10 years in the early 80's through the early 90's. Almost 30 years later, our house is worth $9000 more than when we bought it. It is still my favorite house out of the 5 we have owned.

Children coming out of cornfields???? Who believes that, besides that bitchy HH looking for a home in Racine, Wisconsin? Coincidentally we moved from Houston to Racine in the early 90's. And contrary to what the realtor said, we had a wonderful front porch. Used to sit out there and watch rain storms. For some reason, 3 bedroom homes are more popular than 4 bedroom homes there. The lighthouse is lovely but I was disappointed that they didn't show the Johnson Wax complex.

I had never seen the Tampa family show. After the fixture lady of the night before and the cornfield, front garage hater earlier, this couple was a breath of fresh air. They seemed to try to find reasons to like each home even when they didn't really. The couple did not have outrageous demands.

I tend to watch this show live but the dialogue is becoming so formulaic that I may start recording it so I can ff and mute it as needed.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Two houses with wild tiles in the same week!
I don't understand why no one ever considers using the master as the office/guest room. The couple in Malta it would have made lots of sense. All of those apartments were lovely.

And gee we didn't know the Racine couple would choose the under construction house! LOL

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Coincidentally we moved from Houston to Racine in the early 90's. And contrary to what the realtor said, we had a wonderful front porch.

Glad the buyer didn't know that!
Was there some movie about children in a cornfield? I have a vague recollection of seeing posters or trailers about that some time ago.
At the end though, she seemed to agree readily for the cheapest option, and I wondered if a whole lot of her cornfields and front garages was scripted to make her look bad.
The garage-on-the-front is prevalent in Florida, and I'm not fond of the look either.
And now it seems there's a new must-have, the upstairs laundry. It does make sense, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to want one, because all my life they've been in the basement if there is one.
The guys in Harrisburg had that on their list too.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Was there some movie about children in a cornfield?

Yes, and several sequels called Children of the Corn based on a story by Stephen King. Peter Horton and Linda Hamilton were in the first one but it's a fairly well known horror series.

I wonder how long the couple have lived in Malta, when they were shown in Canada I totally got the impression that they were visiting and that they had given away most of their cold weather clothes and shoes that were practical for walking in the snow.

Edited by biakbiak, May 4, 2012 @ 1:54 PM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

The garage-on-the-front is prevalent in Florida, and I'm not fond of the look either.
And now it seems there's a new must-have, the upstairs laundry.

I tend not to like the looks of the garage on front, especially if that is about all you see. The McMansions seem to have that look frequently. The lots are small so they need to have it up front rather then a side entrance.

Holmes hates upstairs laundry rooms! I have seen him take several out. It would be a huge problem if the hose broke and you had a flood.

Racehorse

Racehorse

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

I'm sure the Racine episode was scripted to make the buyers look bad. I think the house under construction was the best deal for them. I don't remember now but were all the bedrooms up? If so, if I were in that situation, I'd want the laundry room up as well.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Over the past several episodes, I've begun paying as much attention to the realtors as I have to the home buyers, and I think their behavior is interesting. When the home buyer finds something they don't like, the realtor makes no comment and instead, focuses on a room coming up. Sometimes, if the buyer says they don't like a bedroom, the realtor will say, "Take a look at the bathroom," or something like that.

It's also fun for me to see how the realtor tackles the problem of something really bad about the house. In one episode last week, the realtor took the couple all over the house until they were sufficiently impressed, then showed them that there was no back yard. Others show the bad spot first, then take them to other rooms to get their minds off of it. All of them seem to have a method.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 4, 2012 @ 7:43 PM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Holmes hates upstairs laundry rooms! I have seen him take several out. It would be a huge problem if the hose broke and you had a flood.

I live in a high rise and the washers are equipped with anti-flood devices which trip if there is any kind of drainage problem. They work remarkably well and many people also have them installed on their dishwashers and refrigerator water lines to ice machines (which can also cause a wicked flood evidently).

I think upstairs laundry rooms are great if you have the room for it. I think reasonable minds can differ on whether you need a master bath the size of Grand Central Station or whatever other *needs* people have, but I don't think anyone can fault someone from not wanting to haul loads of laundry up and down stairs for absolutely no reason.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

but I don't think anyone can fault someone from not wanting to haul loads of laundry up and down stairs for absolutely no reason.

I agree. But oddly enough I often carry my clothes downstairs so I can hang them out to dry. I know I am weird! I did notice in that house there was a pan for the washer to sit in. Here in the south the AC is often in the attic and there are problems with the drain plugging and water problems that way too.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I sort of liked the LA couple. She even said she loved the counter top that wasn't granite! Wow. Of course it wasn't mentioned that it wasn't granite. But still. I think they chose the right house. And I could really see in this episode the prompting of the producers. She wanted a picket fence--gee one magically appears, the same with the fireplace.
I did find it odd he wasn't in residency but maybe he wanted a break?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

The doctor stuff went over my head. I think we were both just too busy being astonished there are now houses in that price range in the Valley. I guess I haven't tried searching realtor.com in way too long. I don't know if I'd want less than 1800 square feet at this point in life, but, I thought the house they chose was darn cute. I could see myself being happy in that house. Couldn't believe it came with a pool as well. On top of that, a yahoo story today said that in 2012 the L.A. housing market will hit 'rock bottom.' Too bad we're past the point of wanting to stay. Anyway we were both hoping they'd pick house # 1. House # 3 wasn't bad but something about the house and area weren't as homey. Couldn't really tell where they ended up. Maybe Woodland Hills?

Children coming out of cornfields????

Hubby had a field day. Heh, no pun intended.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I couldn't figure out the couple (she was from Aruba) who went to Dominican Republic, and he wanted golf course and she wanted beach.
Did they have jobs? They only mentioned him golfing and her on the beach, so I'd have thought they might be just rich, but then they did have a budget of $350k. Maybe that's what their dividends or annuity paid, though.
They'd lived apart mostly since they met, and are planning to get married after they buy a house.
Hope they both have good lawyers.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Back to the LA couple--he had graduated from med school, but had not done his residency. I would imagine he did not pass his boards and, as a result, wasn't eligible to do a residency. No one in his right mind would just take a break at that point in his education/training and decide to just postpone a medical residency.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Did they have jobs? They only mentioned him golfing and her on the beach, so I'd have thought they might be just rich, but then they did have a budget of $350k. Maybe that's what their dividends or annuity paid, though.

I thought he was a golf pro.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

I thought he built golf courses.

Houses with the garage sticking out in front are often called a "snout house". Hee

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

Aruba Hubby was working with P.J. Dye -- one of the great golf course architects.

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

I've seen a lot of crazy reasons to reject a house (children coming out of cornfields?) but not considering a house because the address adds up to 13 and your mother won't visit? Loco!

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

but not considering a house because the address adds up to 13 and your mother won't visit?

In my family that would be a plus.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

but not considering a house because the address adds up to 13 and your mother won't visit?

In my family that would be a plus

Hah! Hear ya.

The producers do love to add their twists - alligators from water in backyard chomping dogs/children, intruders not knowing how to got up stairs (can't have bedroom on main level), children out of cornfields, ghosts, can't have the stairs facing the doorway - bad feng shui. Good times.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:56 AM

Is it me or has HH become a bit more snarky lately? There seem to be more shots of the realtor or 'friend' talking to the camera about what an idiot the HH is or how s/he expects too much, etc. They've done some of this before, but it seemed pretty polite. Now it seems downright funny or snarky on purpose. The music seems to be different as well. I've often found myself laughing at the HHs, but now I find myself laughing with the realtor or friend.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

aliya -- I've noticed the music or a sound effect commenting on the action lately. Like one lady opened a closet to find it was a walk-in and there was a quiet 'magic fairy dust' sound effect on the soundtrack. Another time, somebody said something about being able to get a dog if they had a backyard and I swear I heard puppy yaps added in. Maybe the sound engineers are getting bored?