House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24645 replies to this topic

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I was so excited for the Nashua episode because I also grew up there! A little bummed they spent most of their time in Hollis, but at least they went candlepin bowling at Leda Lanes, which yes is a very New England thing.

First, I couldn't get over the prices for those enormous gorgeous houses. It's enough to make me want to move back home--I live in the DC area now and let me tell you, $480k will NOT get you a 3400 sq foot house on two acres around these parts. It's so depressing.

Anyhow, I knew they'd end up in one of the Hollis houses and the guy was just bitching about the "commute" as a way to not give it away. Hollis is not far from Nashua and in particular it is not far from that dental practice. I was not a patient there but I used to drive by that sign all the time as it's on a main road. And not far from Hollis at all, maybe 15-20 minutes tops depending on where their house is.

I couldn't understand the wife's fixation on hating dining rooms. When she was like "I wouldn't even know what to do with that room!" Ummmm, put a fucking table in it so you can have nice holiday dinners? I know people don't eat at the "formal" dining room every night, but it's a really nice thing to have. Do they just not have people over for dinner ever?

ETA:

The New Orleans episode that aired at 9:30PM was cool. I was so happy the couple settled on the townhouse condo. It was huge and cheap and right on the parade route. It seemed they also had an issue with it being too big.

That one annoyed me so much. Mardi Gras lasts for what, four days? Living anywhere in the Nola area you can still go to all the events. If anything I'd think they would want to avoid the parade routes--I'm sure they will so love trying to get a little one to bed while a party is raging outside their windows once a year! (Though I suppose the same argument could be made, with it being only once a year...)

Also, on a shallow note: that guy's art suuuuuuucked. I can't believe he makes a living off it.

Edited by smwurr, Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:25 PM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Mardi Gras runs from Twelfth Night (Epithany) on January 6 until the variable date of Fat Tuesday, though the two weeks before and including Fat Tuesday are when most of the parades are. I think I'd rather be within a few blocks of the route so you could walk to the fun with go cup in hand instead of being right on the route.

As for dining rooms, they're generally pretty easy to convert to a home office and the like if you don't want to put a dining table there. We didn't see a need for a dining room in addition to our eat-in kitchen, so we turned ours into a library.

leila6

leila6

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

First, I couldn't get over the prices for those enormous gorgeous houses. It's enough to make me want to move back home--I live in the DC area now and let me tell you, $480k will NOT get you a 3400 sq foot house on two acres around these parts. It's so depressing.

Tell me about it. We're paying $489k for a 1900 sq ft house just outside the beltway, and we're lucky to have it (although I still do think the prices are insane).

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Mardi Gras runs from Twelfth Night (Epithany) on January 6 until the variable date of Fat Tuesday, though the two weeks before and including Fat Tuesday are when most of the parades are. I think I'd rather be within a few blocks of the route so you could walk to the fun with go cup in hand instead of being right on the route.

As I recall, they got a house that was close to the route of one of the parades but not on the street.

Tell me about it. We're paying $489k for a 1900 sq ft house just outside the beltway, and we're lucky to have it (although I still do think the prices are insane).

Of course inside the Beltway is far more desirable to me than Nashua or Hollis N.H. and the price reflects that. If it didn't location wouldn't be the chief determinant of pricing for real estate.

I would suspect also that wages would more or less have some correlation to what kind of house one can get. Putting aside two acre plots (for which I personally have no desire), I would suspect that many dentists, doctors and lawyers live in homes equivalent to the one those people got in Hollis - especially if one considers that the wife is a patent attorney so there are two professional incomes available. I would imagine that a dentist and patent lawyer would have the equivalent home in most areas.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I couldn't understand the wife's fixation on hating dining rooms. When she was like "I wouldn't even know what to do with that room!" Ummmm, put a fucking table in it so you can have nice holiday dinners? I know people don't eat at the "formal" dining room every night, but it's a really nice thing to have. Do they just not have people over for dinner ever?

I enjoy having a separate dining room, even though I have a breakfast nook in my kitchen, as I do host a few dinner parties each year. But my previous place had only a small dining space as part of the living room, and I made do just fine. So I can understand a HH not wanting a dining room, but the "Oh, I just wouldn't know what to do with this room" nonsense is too much. If she didn't want to furbish it with a table, chairs and related accoutrements, she could fill it with virtually anything her heart desired; a room intended to serve as a dining room often easily translates to a study or den, and the possibilities certainly do not end there.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

"Oh, I just wouldn't know what to do with this room" nonsense

You could always make it your orgy room! Good grief if you don't have enough imagination to figure out what to do with a room you don't aren't mature enough to own a house. So many HH say 'what would I do with this room' or 'what is this room for'. Silly people

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Young couple last night who moved to Peoria Illinois for his work as some sort of a medical technician. They had a small child and one on the way and he insisted on 4 bedrooms, a 2 story house, a full basement and a music room for him. The wife was a hoot because she didn't want anything "old" because she was afraid of ghosts and the husband grew up on a Nebraska farm so he didn't want to see other houses. The house they picked they complained about because it was "so much work" (needed painting inside) but it was 4 bedroom and I think that was the only reason they picked it.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Young couple last night who moved to Peoria Illinois for his work as some sort of a medical technician. They had a small child and one on the way and he insisted on 4 bedrooms, a 2 story house, a full basement and a music room for him. The wife was a hoot because she didn't want anything "old" because she was afraid of ghosts and the husband grew up on a Nebraska farm so he didn't want to see other houses. The house they picked they complained about because it was "so much work" (needed painting inside) but it was 4 bedroom and I think that was the only reason they picked it.

Oh my, the repeated "so much work" was pretty hilarious! I would rather shoot myself in the foot than live in a cookie cutter, bare bones McMansion with a hundred other flimsy McMansion's peering over my back fence, but hey, to each his own. I guess that's what you have to choose from considering that any home built in the 1950's or earlier is certifiably haunted. Maybe the wife should have had the previous "sensitive" house hunter from a few nights ago accompany her on her search!

I thought the couple in Croatia was cute. I would not have been too keen on sleeping in that little loft in the second apartment either! Their realtor (with his lush, gorgeous ponytail) looked like a romantic, Croatian vampire!

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

The minute that girl said she wouldn't live in a house built earlier than 1950 because of 'ghosts'...I clicked 'off'.

Life is too short to spend 22 minutes with morons.

Re: Colombia -- how gorgeous a country is that! But I give them (her especially) six months before 'rural' gets old. But I thought it was funny that she complained about Colombian drivers -- they *must* be bad if they scare somebody from Florida!

Edited by Ivy Mom, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

"Oh, I just wouldn't know what to do with this room" nonsense

You could always make it your orgy room! Good grief if you don't have enough imagination to figure out what to do with a room you don't aren't mature enough to own a house. So many HH say 'what would I do with this room' or 'what is this room for'. Silly people

These are the same people who can't figure out that a bedroom that is currently being used as an office/craft space is still a freaking bedroom, and can indeed be used as such. Or the ones that walk in to the room next to the kitchen, which, although empty has a chandelier hanging in the middle of it, and ask what room it is....um...dining room maybe? Morons.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

'what is this room for'

That one bothers me even more, because it makes the HHs sound as if they believe rooms have been assigned immutable purposes. It's pretty hard to use a kitchen or bathroom for alternative functions, but otherwise people can use rooms however best suits their lifestyle. And it's not just the self selecting pool of idiots on this program, since real estate agents across the country advise staging empty homes to show potential buyers how the rooms could be used. Jeez. No wonder we're surpassed by an ever-growing number of countries when it comes to innovation, if our population lacks even the imagination necessary to conjure up a use for a 12 x 12 space.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I have heard a HH, on more than one occasion, walk into a room with a bathtub, sink and toilet, and say "So is this the bathroom?" Good guess, Sherlock.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

I thought the couple in Croatia was cute. I would not have been too keen on sleeping in that little loft in the second apartment either! Their realtor (with his lush, gorgeous ponytail) looked like a romantic, Croatian vampire

Pity that I am no longer young if Croatian men look like that realtor, LOL, I might just upped and moved to Croatia (which is a gorgeous country at any rate.)

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

The men in the Croatian episode looked Serbian to me, not a big deal to us but if I visited there I'd, personally, not say anything out loud until someone volunteered that info. Still a lot of bad blood over there (between groups.)

The Peoria episode - I was excited because I know that city well. That place they were eating dinner in - good BBQ. Jonah's. I'm guessing he works in one of the downtown hospitals which is near the river and that they probably rent near the river too (probably East Peoria, you don't want to be near the river on the main side.) I couldn't identify the ice cream place, though. Maybe it's new.

The wife's phobia - well, meh. I am used to people with quirks, and a phobia doesn't have to make any sense. I was impressed the realtor even found a ranch since those are hard to come by in that area. It's all 2 story McMansions now. That's what all the young homebuyers want. I hope they weren't being serious about painting being a lot of work, although he does seem to work long hours. I'm sure painting isn't high on his love to do list when he gets home. I hope they got no VOC paint since she's preggers and there's a toddler as well.

Not sure where they bought since all the neighborhoods look pretty much the same. But most people are buying outside the city now, as the older neighborhoods crumble and crime goes up and up.

gailr42

gailr42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I can't believe none of you mentioned the "Doofus" hat the Peoria guy was wearing. I was so distracted by the hat that I didn't notice what the houses looked like. Adult people wear stuff like that? Then she starts talking about ghosts?

I love the show, and I love this forum, but hardly ever post. I had to sort through a ton of stuff to find my password just because of a hat. LOL!

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Life is too short to spend 22 minutes with morons.

If only that could be the motto of the show. I guess they'd have to change their casting, though.

Edited to remove font tags.

Edited by jcbrown, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I have to say that the Key West couple completely skeeved me out when they allowed their dog to trot around the house and actually placed the fucking dog on the kitchen counter of the second house.

I wouldn't have a problem if someone kept their dog in a bag or held it although I realize that some people might get bent out of shape but I can't imagine the chutzpah of someone who brings a dog to a stranger's house and allows it to roam freely. It only takes a split second for the dog to leave a little gift - and I am a pretty laid back dog lover.

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

The girl in the Croatia episode-I must have missed why she was so eager to stay under budget. Perhaps she was saving for something. Do you think maybe she wanted to save money for a wedding? You would think she might have mentioned if she was trying to save money for a wedding. After all, people who need to stick to a budget because they are saving for a wedding will sometimes let other people know that they are on a strict budget because they are saving for a wedding.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

The girl in the Croatia episode-I must have missed why she was so eager to stay under budget. Perhaps she was saving for something. Do you think maybe she wanted to save money for a wedding?

Yep - saving for a wedding.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Adult people wear stuff like that? Then she starts talking about ghosts?

Maybe it was the hat that was haunted all along.

actually placed the fucking dog on the kitchen counter of the second house.

My pet peeve is people putting their toddlers on the kitchen counter tops to walk around with their shoes on. Toddler shoes are no cleaner than grownups'.

The girl moving to Croatia and buying a house and getting married later - she is sure adventurous. That is a lot of risk, if things don't work out.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

I have to say that the Key West couple completely skeeved me out when they allowed their dog to trot around the house and actually placed the fucking dog on the kitchen counter of the second house.

I loved the realtor's reaction to the wacky wife's fear her doggie wouldn't be able to jump up on their KING SIZE bed. Do the producers pay house hunters more if they say stupid shit on camera? Because if so -- OMG the pool has black tiles! -- then no wonder they could afford the new house.

Edited by buttersister, Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

Apparently the Morgantown WV episode repeated earlier this week. My coworker told me about it because she knows that my brother and his family live in Morgantown. I still haven't seen it, but I read somewhere that they portrayed the South Park area as being filled with student housing. Uh, no, it's the most expensive part of town, filled with historic homes, near Morgantown High School, and very popular with families with school age children. My sister-in-law's parents live in South Park. The house the HH's chose was in the Cheat Lake area, which is where my brother and sister-in-law built a new home. It costs a whole lot less to live in Cheat Lake than in South Park, in spite of what HH wants you to believe.

Also heard that the buyers wanted a house that had a level yard and was "not on a hill". Well, good luck with that. Everything in Morgantown is on a hill -- at the top, at the bottom or on the side, but definitely somewhere on a hill, because that's all they have there. Hills.

My coworker was stunned to find out that the whole show is faked, the people have already purchased a home, and the "realtor" is often a friend and not really a real estate agent. She said the Morgantown episode made her a bit suspicious, since the realtor seemed kind of lacking in knowledge.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

the "realtor" is often a friend and not really a real estate agent.

That happens on HHI. On HH, I think the real estate agent usually is an agent. I've looked some up on line, and they like to add to their "credentials" that they were featured on HH. If you look at the casting call for HH, they specifically say that RE agents who are interested in being on the show and have clients they think would be a good fit, to contact them. HHI is much, much more staged, although I've seen some cases where folks have been there for less than 6 months. Some HHI people have been living in their country for years.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

The hat struck me too, this guy is a medical professional?!! Reminded me of a teenaged snow boarder.

Scrubmonkey, I know Peoria pretty well too having in law relatives there and visiting them over 30+ years. The area from Knoxville west towards Sterling, south of War Memorial and north of Nebraska have a lot of ranch homes all built in the late 50 and 1960's. Lots of good working people neighborhoods there but there are spots. When they were doing searches I saw an address for Churchill Drive. That's off of Alta where I know there are a lot of new built, 2 story houses that are pretty tightly packed in like the house they moved in to. As far as ghosts, heck, in that area that new subdivision might have been built on an old Indian village!Then they'll get some real ghosts!

As far as painting, it's going to take him a long time at the rate he was going!

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Croatia: Someone needs to Crown that Realtor the most gorgeous man that was ever on HH. Damn!

Edited by livinggreen, Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:02 AM.

Ohdog

Ohdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Yep, living green. Pure sex-on-a-stick, especially compared to the little weenie in Peoria.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Note to self: Must go find that Croatia episode so that I can see the Realtor.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

I haven't seen Croatia, but maybe they'll repeat the show.

Just finished watching the widow from Texas with six or so kids looking for a vacation home in Hawaii. I also saw the Key West couple. They seemed to be a little bit odd. I agree that their darling dog shouldn't have been included on the house tours. Could you believe the price of homes down there?!! Never in a million years would I pay $1 million or more for a little cottage that was decades old, especially when it needed repairs! I was a little surprised to see the realtor complaining about the couple after they'd only seen the first house. It was not the best show I've seen.

halsfan

halsfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

I also saw the Key West couple. They seemed to be a little bit odd.

+1. The wife genuinely seemed to be angry/suspicious that her marriage would be over if they bought the place with the guest house and the husband used it for his office. Everything seemed to be a bit "off" with them and their marriage. Can't say I was impressed with any of the houses, either.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Note to self: Must go find that Croatia episode so that I can see the Realtor.

I'm right behind you.

The realtor in Brisbane was yummy, too. It was the accent, I think.