House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24645 replies to this topic

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I couldn't figure out why the Navy couple was first living in Hesperia, CA. Hesperia is in the middle of the desert, not near any ports or Naval bases that I am aware of. Strange place for a Naval family to be living.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Were they actually living in Hesperia because the little map said they journeyed from San Diego to Spain.

Could we please have a moratorium on idiots who don't know what a bidet is? If people are really that stupid, can't someone clue them in so they don't make the same stupid comment about a "men's toilet" twice?

And while we're at it, I can deal with people who want granite because I confess I like it as a kitchen surface. But for fuck's sake, please no more idiots who can't recognize granite and have to ask what the surface is.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Were they actually living in Hesperia because the little map said they journeyed from San Diego to Spain.

You know, I don't they specifically said they were living in Hesperia, but at the beginning of the show they were on a farm with chickens and horses and the graphic said "Hesperia, CA".

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

They would have flown out of San Diego because that's where the Naval base is and they would be on a Naval flight (I assume--my son is in the Navy). I don't know why they would have shown Hesperia if they weren't living there. I doubt that he was stationed in SD and living in Hesperia, since it is a 2.5-3 hour drive (in good traffic).

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Did anyone catch the episode about the young military woman in San Antonio who had to find a house to please her mother? Why is it that the person who doesn't have to make the hellacious commute always seems to think it's not such a big deal when the spouse, or in this case the daughter, is in the car for 1-2 hours a day? I wondered why mom was sponging off this poor girl because, really how old was the mom and why didn't she have some kind of job to contribute to the household? So, she was a single mother it gives her an excuse to sponge - oh, boo hoo. I'm almost 50 and will be working until probably at least 65 and my own mom (also a single mom after my dad died young) just retired at 70. Couldn't believe the mom didn't drive. If they were from Texas, I find that hard to believe, or that she was a very effective single mom. I hope the daughter got what she wanted too, because that mom needs to go back and live with whichever son she had been living with or take care of her own damn self and quit mooching off her kids. You can love your mom and not take her to raise.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Regarding the 23 year old San Antonio military woman buying the house and the mother would be living with her---did the mother say she was from Mexico City? I was thinking that is why she didn't work. Would she need a green card or work visa or whatever? And the no driving--OMG. Maybe the daughter felt it would be easier in the long run to buy the house farthest from her military base (one hour commute each way!!) and have her mother live close to her friends. Maybe the friends could keep the mother entertained (they showed her playing cards) and ferry her around on her errands, etc. I don't know, but wow, she is nicer to her mother that I would have been. I would hate that huge commute each day and would be increasingly bitter towards the mother. LOL.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

The San Antonio episode complaints. The family is Hispanic. It is the culture to take care of mom before yourself. Yes it is too bad she has to drive so far. There may have been other reasons then those told on the show. But I understood her reasons completely. I did wonder why mom couldn't take the city bus. But I'm not there.

And yes the doc in Spain sure seemed dumb with his comments about bidets. I am hoping they were prompted and not real.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Regarding the Hispanic women, I agree that culturally it is not unusual to have that kind of familial/filial obligations.

I also think realistically it was much easier for the daughter to commute than to have the mother isolated and away from her church and friends. Obviously the mother had managed to work out some kind of system - whether it was public transportation/rides from friends/proximity - that enabled her to lead a full life in the other neighborhood. Normally I think a long commute is a bitch but in this case, it was the logical thing to do because the mother would have been completely isolated and the daughter would have been completely responsible for taking her everywhere whenever she wasn't working.

I don't know why the mother was working but she didn't appear to be a free loader.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

The mom in the San Antonio epi bugged me, too, with her incessant complaints about the house while her daughter took on the 45-min+ commute each way. My DH commented, though, that the woman buying the house may be planning for the event that she is deployed, when having her mom closer to the mom's social circle will make it a lot easier. I would have felt more sympathetic if they had said that rather than just editing the mom to come across as so entitled.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Haven't watched the TX episode yet with the military woman, but we saw the one with the male teacher in Portland.

I'm noticing that we are more interested lately in the imagined back stories of the house hunters than we are in the houses. After a while most of the houses begin to look the same, plus figuring out the charade took something away from the anctipation. Now we kind of don't care which one they pick. And it's usually the empty one. Furniture and stuff makes it pretty clear that one isn't the house they chose.

We thought his friend was a leech, either socially or financially wasn't clear yet but one of those loser friends. Seemed like he let on he would help with renovations but didn't actually know how. He was kind of a bump on a log. The teacher seemed to be thinking about finding a woman and settling down, and guaranteed, that roomie will turn his potential mates off. He had that slobby air about him. Also were aghast when the teacher took out that gorgeous spa tub and put in a plainer narrower one and ugly tile everywhere. But it's his house.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I hated the two anthropology students moving to Scotland. The guy was a total whiny pill, the girl was very milquetoast and wimpy, and I felt so badly for the real estate agent who had to listen to them and work with them. I kinda wanted someone who wore stilletos to move in above them and take dancing lessons.

I am surprised their dog came with them. Don't they do quarantine anymore?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Having talked about this with several pet-owning Americans who have moved abroad in recent years, I know that in many countries - including Scotland - it now largely comes down to the incidence of rabies in the country from which the pet is emigrating. In countries like the United States where the incidence is low, so long as the pet is vaccinated against rabies (and has a general certification of health from a vet), the quarantine period is waived. Not that quarantine stopped anyone I knew from bringing their pets with them on an international move in the old days, but now it's far more convenient; Fido can move in with the family rather than being delayed.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Bastet Esq is right. Also, people on HHI oftentimes have been living abroad already for at least a year or more before filming so the pet issues, if any, would have been handled already.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

Watched the episode which featured the military woman and her mother hunting for a house in Texas.

We thought the house with the guest house in back would've been perfect. The mother could have some sort of independence back there, and privacy for both, and the mother's friends could come play cards in her cabin and let their hair down. The too big house was too big, but it seemed a bit nervy of the mother to insist the daughter buy the house that was so far from her work, just so the mom could see her friends easier. Couldn't the friends have driven to see the mom, or picked her up for the card games?

Maybe the daughter thought the trade off of a long commute vs. a whiny anxious mom calling ten times a day saying "I'm bored, I'm lonely" was worth it. I wondered why it fell on the daughter to help the mother when there were many other children.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

Mom and military daughter picked the new house where they could select all the finishes and felt comfortable with the size of the house. The house would probably have a good re-sale potential if it was close to the other base.

By focusing on what mom wanted the daughter wouldn't have to worry about drop off/pick ups for mom when trying to connect mom with her friends. The time in the car could become me time: listen to music or a book, talk on the phone (hands free, of course). If the daughter takes mom in now, it could be another siblings turn to have mom, when the daughter marries and has her own family in the future.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

True. The daughter said she was missing her beauty sleep at the end, but did not seem to mind. Maybe she can get a transfer to the other base. I missed hearing there was another base close by. Nothing wrong with spoiling mom, I just thought the house with the cabana in back was ideal. Unless of course neither wanted their own separate space. Some people hate being alone.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Maybe she can get a transfer to the other base. I missed hearing there was another base close by.

The Air Force woman was transferred FROM the closer base to the base farther away, and that was the supposed reason for the house hunt, to be closer to the new base. I'm inclined to think the momma drama was totally made up or greatly exagerrated.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I don't think there was ever any doubt that the house would be where the mother could function without a car with a support system of friends and the church that seemed to be within walking distance. Or at any rate, there would be friends in the neighborhood who could drive her to social gatherings.

I suspect that the girl decided to buy a home when she was transferred because it meant she would be in San Antonio for at least another three years. If she is transferred, far far better to have the mother stay in the house within her comfort zone.

The commute really wasn't that terrible as compared to what the daughter would have to do for the mother if the mother were totally reliant on the daughter.

Not completely analogous, but my grandmother lived in the same two family house in a New York City borough as my family did. SHe didn't drive but she could walk to shopping, synagogue and there was public transportation for stuff not within walking distance - and of course my parents could pitch in for stuff that absolutely required a car. She would have led a very limited life if she lived in the suburbs with my aunts because she would either be in the house or completely depend on their driving and it would have been less likely that she would have been able to maintain and expand on her own circle of friends.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I hated the two anthropology students moving to Scotland. The guy was a total whiny pill, the girl was very milquetoast and wimpy, and I felt so badly for the real estate agent who had to listen to them and work with them. I kinda wanted someone who wore stilletos to move in above them and take dancing lessons.

I might even be motivated to move in above them and take tap, he was so annoying. You're moving to a major city and you want to live in the city and yet you're obsessed with not having to see garbage and not having carpet? Dude, you're in grad school. Suck it up, eat ramen, and get over yourself like everyone else who's gone through grad school. At the end when he said that all their classmates were really fun people, I thought, "so you're bringing down the curve!" And then she was so enamored of being able to have organic vegetables delivered. Maybe I'm spoiled, living in the San Francisco Bay Area, but they came from Brooklyn, so surely they could have had a CSA or some sort of organic produce delivery service?

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

It kind of felt like a lost Portlandia sketch to me! I liked seeing Edinburgh, though.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I never knew before that shower curtains are evil, but apparently they can wrap around you and kill you. At least, that is the impression I got from last night's HH. Twit.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

The Air Force woman was transferred FROM the closer base to the base farther away, and that was the supposed reason for the house hunt, to be closer to the new base. I'm inclined to think the momma drama was totally made up or greatly exagerrated.

Ahh okay. That explains a lot then. I bet now that she bought the house while she was still working at the base and got transferred shortly after. Then they exaggerated the commute drama and the picky mama for the camera. Now it makes sense to me.

And I guess come to think of it some more, there are a lot of shallow friends out there who wouldn't go and get her for their card games. I got the impression the friends were all really close but maybe not. And then of course they all might be elderly and reluctant (or unable) to drive as well.

Hope to watch the backlog of other eps soon.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Loved the Eichler houses that the Palo Alto couple looked at. Their choice of the 1400 sq ft house was my favorite too. Hard to believe that there was no insulation in those houses, but maybe the California climate makes that workable. I've never lived there and don't know how comfortable those houses would be. This is one that I would like to see featured in a before and after episode if they decide to let their architect work any more of his magic on it.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Loved the Eichler houses that the Palo Alto couple looked at. Their choice of the 1400 sq ft house was my favorite too. Hard to believe that there was no insulation in those houses, but maybe the California climate makes that workable.

Actually there was no insulation in most houses built until fairly recently. I grew up in New York and our house lacked any insulation. Fuel costs were relatively low when homes were built so it wasn't much of a factor.

In California, (at least Southern California that I am most familiar with), older homes (built pre universal A/C) were not insulated but were built to maximize cooling - i.e. windows didn't face South and shrubs/trees were planted around to block the sun. I lived in an old bungalow for a time and it was pretty cool without A/C except during the hottest of summer days - and in L.A. nights are generally cool since it's a desert climate. It was very dark by today's standards though LOL.

I would suspect neither heating nor cooling would be a factor when the homes were built in the 1950's because electricity was cheap and no one dreamed that fossil fuels were not an infinite resource. When I got my first car in 1970 gas was 30 cents per gallon - even adjusted for inflation that's $1.67 in today's dollars. Other fuels - gas/heating oil were similarly inexpensive.

libraryone

libraryone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I never knew before that shower curtains are evil, but apparently they can wrap around you and kill you. At least, that is the impression I got from last night's HH. Twit.

That was so weird! I couldn't figure out why having to use a shower curtain was a thing for her. All the things to consider in buying a house, and that's what you choose to worry about?

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Love Eichler homes. Did our best to ignore that couple during the episode. Instead of the house blessing, we so wanted to see more of the architect's plans. (Their realtor didn't look thrilled to be there, BTW. He probably was sick and tired of the many hours filming, by that time.)

Disappointed in the one change they aired - yes, it's great to open up that wall. Unfortunately, doing so minimizes the Eichler feel when you enter the home. Don't know (or remember) how the couple felt about the kitchen renovation that had been completed by one of the previous homeowners. That, too, wasn't representative of Eichler style.

JMHO, YMMV.

Edited by diydude, Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:02 PM.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Don't know (or remember) how the couple felt about the kitchen renovation that had been completed by one of the previous homeowners.

She wanted to put in a big exhaust hood to counteract the cooking odors.

Edited by Linky Loo, Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:50 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Couple moving to Bogota, Columbia were annoying. They kept yamering about how fluent she was in Spanish--how many times did she say she was fluent?--and how he wasn't. However, at the end, he sounded quite fluent to me. And how lucky for them to both get jobs in fucking Columbia? Really? This show is such a sham. And still I watch.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Story about an upcoming Minnesota episode. The house hunters approached their realtor about being on the show.

Eagan MN House Hunters Article

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

And a star is born in Eagan, MN! I'm sure her looks had nothing to do with moving their application to the top of the pile, haha.

Thanks, Linkyloo. I was ignoring their ongoing curry comments. Only curious if they intended to rip out that kitchen and remodel it, to regain a mid-century or Eichler feel. It appeared fairly new but IIRC, IMHO, it also had that straight off the shelf, Home Depot look. Given the one wall change HH aired - don't know if they planned to restore the home to its original style. From a RE standpoint, it might be worth doing (IMHO) in Palo Alto.

Edited by diydude, Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.