House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24645 replies to this topic

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I turned it off after a couple minutes, as soon as she said she made the cats sleep in the garage because she didn't like to hear them meowing! Guess it only got better from there.

laredhead

laredhead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Oh, so much to comment about the the golf pro and the cheerleader/dance team coach - where to begin? All of the houses were similar with no character as are most of the new houses in Zachary. The houses all look alike with the larger more expensive ones looking just like the smaller ones for the most part. Front loading garages, split floor plans, same roofs, no imagination whatsoever. I live in Baton Rouge and many people have fled the city because of it's bad public schools. Zachary has a good school system and I guess they don't mind living in cookie cutter houses. I liked the comment by the husband that even if he lived closer to the golf course he wouldn't be home more and neither would I if I were married to her. Poor cats. His later comment about them peeing on her bed was probably true and they were retaliating for being exiled to the garage at night. Bet the cats don't live there much longer if she has her way. Her comment about the 3rd house where she could see everyone's business and they could see hers was funny because what do you expect in a cookie cutter subdivision with small lots that have to divided and screened with 6' wooden fences. You can always landscape and plant large screening shubbery, but of course, that would not be an instant fix and it would need care and all these buyers just never seem to have time to take care of a yard because of their busy social schedules.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Plant a row of Lombardy poplars. Grow fast. Relatively care free. Screens out others. But the fences were so tall you could see the neighbors' roofs. Unless you think they'll be having picnics on the roof, you can't see each other's anything.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

The single Mom moving from Norfolk Island to Brisbane got me scrambling to my computer. I wish they had spent a little more time talking about the island. I was also curious that when they did the map thing of going from Norfolk Island to Brisbane, they did not do the usual took the x hour journey of y miles - just showing it was done. I know how long it takes to get from the US to alot of other destinations - this one I had no idea and would have been interested in finding out.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

The single Mom moving from Norfolk Island to Brisbane got me scrambling to my computer. I wish they had spent a little more time talking about the island.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I was IMing with a friend in Oz while watching. Norfolk Island is a territory of Australia with only a few thousand people. I found the whole thing odd and creepy. Some guy she'd met on holiday and married after a couple of months? Moving her *kids* in with him, will be a SAHM and it'll all work out? Sure hope this is one of the faked HHI episodes and they've actually been married for 10 years and they're his kids. Ugh.

Although I guess living on some remote island with only 1000 guys not your relatives to choose from, you'd snatch up any opportunity that came by, particularly if he was going to get you of Nowhere Island and to the big city and is willing to pick up the check.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

The blonde sister on last night's episode was certainly annoying. When you buy a house, you get to choose.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

I did not understand why the younger sister had so much say either (assuming it was not for fake drama.) I listened to hear if she was going to live there but it didn't seem like she was going to. I can see her being concerned her sister would be happy there but it was more like "this is what I think about this condo, therefore, forget it."

I really liked the place with the security guard and the cinema. How cool would that be, to have a cinema on the grounds?

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:43 AM

I so enjoyed the episode with the trauma surgeon moving back to her hometown of Fargo. I haven't enjoyed an episode that much since the couple in Bozeman, MT. My DVR didn't say it was new, but I had not seen it. What a firebrand she was! Her blasting through the houses leaving friend and realtor in the dust was a hoot! So much energy and personality. The first house they showed was okay, and I liked her comment that while it wasn't exactly what she wanted, but it was done so nicely it would be a shame to change it. How refreshing was that?

The Victorian she bought was gorgeous. The duplex next door she also bought was not the best feature of the property to say the least. I'd be interested in knowing what she did with it. I was thinking that planting some fast growing plants like a Leland cyprus between the properties would help.

And for once, when people say they "entertain", it appeared she truly does. It's episodes like this one that keep me recording HH. HH is blah at worse, interesting to see the homes on a better day, and then a gem like this one.

Edited by chessiegal, Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:45 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

I liked Bozeman MT surgeon lady also. She seemed like the type who can hold her extended family together, the one where they will congregate at holidays. I loved the details in that old mansion, the wood, etc. She was the right one to buy it. She can afford to keep it up like the house deserves.

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

The houses all look alike with the larger more expensive ones looking just like the smaller ones for the most part. Front loading garages, split floor plans, same roofs, no imagination whatsoever.

Episodes like this are the reason I prefer House Hunters International.

motw

motw

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I love to hate this show. I turned it on late so I don't where these particular geniuses are from but from the prices and boring houses I say it's any exurb U.S.A. in the cheap states (aka not California). It's a dude who lost his job at a bank, ugly nag of a wife, and four kids. They have to downsize from their 7500 sq ft house, wah. But the wife is upset that a master bathroom only has *one* toilet because she's used to two toilets in there. Why the hell do you need two toilets in a single bathroom? Playing battleshits with your husband much, Real Housewife of Absolutely Nowhere?

Apparently, it's in Georgia. No wonder you get a giant house for less than 400k.

Is House Hunters shown internationally? If so, I can see people from other countries hating Americans due to the crap displayed on this show.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

chessiegal & ScrubMonkey, if you're interested, you can check out additional photos and also some serious discussion about the Fargo episode from late October - early November. The local paper ran some/partial after shots of Mary's renovation. We also discussed the loft's pricing - it wasn't listed when filmed, IIRC.

Someone also asked about the Cork episode. We did locate additional photos of the cottage and they were posted early - mid February. If anyone can find information on the other two, that'd be terrific.

Edited by diydude, Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:57 PM.

shipmate

shipmate

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

The couple who needed to buy before their "one year dating anniversary" bugged. Honey, there was a reason they had a segment of your boyfriend literally in a closet! Which one did they end up picking?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

The first one in Plymouth (?).

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

diydude: Where? If it was covered (here), I've probably seen. Thanks though. There are some similar houses to the Bozeman one in If Walls Could Talk, which I also watch, if you like that type of house.

We had a similar reaction to the "one year dating gotta buy a house now" episode. When did that become a thing? And we keep wondering who buys a house with someone you are dating if you don't intend to marry? Maybe we're old fashioned, but if you aren't married or about to be, or haven't been together a long time (essentially 'common law' or 'life partner'), isn't that a huge risk?

Honey, there was a reason they had a segment of your boyfriend literally in a closet!

Eh, we kind of got that vibe too. That it was sort of a roommate agreement or beard situation. And, of course, she had to begin the search by stating her absolute need for granite/stainless. Bleh.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I got the same vibe.

What's with the granite worship? My stepdaughter put in a bid on a house today that has perfectly lovely and functional countertops. I'd say they're one step down from granite. She said they will "have to go" and I, in my ignorance, said they looked perfectly fine and asked why did they need to be changed. She gasped and said,"Because they're not granite! But I guess they'll do FOR NOW." Translation: She'll be stopping at a granite store on the way home from signing the closing papers.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I agree that the guy in the Plymouth episode was prefiguring something when he stepped into and came out of the closet in that one house. The woman just drove me nuts with her accent. "I want it more maaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhdern." Ack! Also agreed that buying a house for your first anniversary of dating is odd and may have some financial complications. I may not be the best judge of odd here, though--my DH and I have known each other 28 years and dated for 9 before getting married 10 years ago. Though come to think of it we did own a house and a car together before we got married but I don't think that was until like the 8-year mark.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I agree, it was not so much that the couple was not married, but that they had been dating for such a short amount of time and thought buying a house together was the next logical step in their relationship. I just did not understand their thought process.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Count me also finding the couple who *had* to buy a house together by their one year anniversary as deluded.

Why in the world would you do that as there are many people who wind up in trouble because of having to deal with a lease after a relationship falls apart.

I don't have a problem with their being unmarried but I do have a problem when people have so short a relationship that they couldn't possibly be putting their economic future together - or at least shouldn't be.

Even with a contract in place, are they really going to be able to deal with having to liquidate the property - or does one person actually want to subsidize the other.

While I don't think a marriage license is necessary to have a committed relationship nor is it a guarantee of anything, I do think most people do differentiate between living together/being married - especially in terms of economic partnership. Marriages break down of course but I think most people do view it as symbolic of two people operating as a unit and the law recognizes that in terms of property rights as well as joint responsibility for debts.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

The couple last night in California (he had a shoe collection) was interesting. I couldn't stand him. If she said she liked something, his response was always, "So what? I don't." He just seemed so entitled and kept putting her down.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

The couple last night in California (he had a shoe collection) was interesting. I couldn't stand him. If she said she liked something, his response was always, "So what? I don't." He just seemed so entitled and kept putting her down.

I think they went back and forth since he said that he would be the one who would compromise - or words to that effect. And he was *given* his shoe closet while conceding dominion over the rest of the decor to the wife. And of course - at least based on the "story line", she was all about location and he was all about new - and they bought an older home in the neighborhood she liked.

It looked as though they had a pretty good dynamic - at least so far as one can tell from a semi-scripted show.

What I don't understand is how any HH can possibly buy a single family home and not want to do any work. Even a new home is going to require some amount of maintenance in a relatively short period of time.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

The shoe collector guy washing his shoes in teh sink creeped me out though. God forbid if anyone shoud step on his shoes.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Is House Hunters shown internationally? If so, I can see people from other countries hating Americans due to the crap displayed on this show.

motw, that's an excellent question and point. This surely was a couple for whom it was difficult to drum up any sympathy. "Wah" is right! And the lovely home that they ended up with ("so outdated", "way too small", yada,yada,yada) was one that many (most?) would be more than happy to have the opportunity to upgrade to!

Also agreed that buying a house for your first anniversary of dating is odd and may have some financial complications.

What the heck was that? Can't imagine that his mother - acting as their realtor - was too thrilled to be schlepping them around to view homes under these circumstances, but she was apparently wise enough to keep her opinion to herself. I could understand their home shopping if they had been together longer, but after just a year it seems pretty "iffy". Good luck to them.

One of the episodes I most enjoyed recently was the young couple looking in Belize for a property suitable for eco-educational seminars. Their maturity level regarding their expectations and their discoveries in their search belied their youth! It was very refreshing.

Edited by Tunia, Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

And the lovely home that they ended up with ("so outdated", "way too small", yada,yada,yada) was one that many (most?) would be more than happy to have the opportunity to upgrade to!

Yes! Sometimes we look at each other and say "I'd love that house." It's been difficult to find a house in our price range with what we need too, but so often we'd be thrilled with what some of these HH turn their noses up at. And I mean how did anyone live without granite counter tops before now?!

Mr. Shoe Obsessed and Miss Pretty seemed like a ship headed straight for the rocks. She was so pretty why would she put up with that peacock?

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Mr. Shoe Obsessed and Miss Pretty seemed like a ship headed straight for the rocks. She was so pretty why would she put up with that peacock?

I wondered about that myself. Her mom she looked like she might be sick of him and his damn shoes.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Had the feeling that the NoCal pair went for the best kitchen. Surprised at their choice. They bought in Newark - the other two homes were in Fremont, IIRC. Fremont's usually considered preferable over Newark. If the show accurately represented their values and/or attitudes, it might have been a far better choice for them to purchase a large, newer, well-located, upscale townhome in Fremont, IMHO. I'll bet her mother was sick of cooking for them - what, neither one of them can get off their a's and make a sandwich? Cleaning your shoe in the kitchen sink??

Couldn't stand the Plymouth couple. Agree, it's an extremely bad idea to buy a home as an unwed couple, especially with less than a year together. OTOH, those two seemed made for each other. They did say something about a potential engagement during the finale. You're correct, ysl. His mother or someone needed to encourage them to execute a contract and determine who'd be buying the other one out, in the event of a break-up. (Sounded as if he had the economic power - almost expected them to purchase in Ann Arbor.) Yeah, that woman's voice totally grated.

Anyone form an opinion as to how tptb finessed the Plymouth couple's furniture situation? Did they simply obtain approval to film before closing? (Guess tptb would have to be 100% certain closing was happening, if that's the answer.) Or, was that their furniture prior to the renovation? Wasn't viewing that closely but they appeared to have a few different items, post-reno.

JMHO, YMMV.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

So glad others found Mr. Shoe Collection from NoCal annoying. I was surprised they bought the house with the rocks in the front yard from the way he initially turned his nose up at it, but I found his attitude to be pretty stank in general.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

I was remarking to Mr Monkey about how unhappy her mother looked, too. I thought either she did not like the Shoe Obsessive but it could've been that she wasn't too happy about serving her daughter a sandwich while she sat and talked and - did the daughter even mention her mom? I didn't notice. Maybe Mom wasn't too happy to be on camera, too. The guy wasn't even cute and he was so arrogant. I just didn't get it.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Mr Cgr and I just finished watching the Rota Spain episode. However they never showed Rota it was all in Puerto de Santa Maria. We were stationed there from '69 to 72 so were interested to watch it. Sort of disappointed they didn't show any of Rota or even a shot of the front gate of the base. The doctor will be working in the hospital our daughter was born in. However it may be an entirely new building by now. When we were there it was pretty plain and simple. I was disappointed they took the vacation home. Since they kept saying they wanted culture I say nope not really! The house was lovely but not much culture there. Someday I want to go back. I know it has changed immensely since Franco died and just with time.

Ohdog

Ohdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I wonder if Doctor Clueless has figured out the bidet yet.