House Hunters

• Please log in to reply

24630 replies to this topic

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I can see the appeal of a big lot (though in my own experience it's a lot of work, and there's a limit to how much space you end up using). But the HH with this complaint are often griping about houses across the street. I mean, come on. You aren't that fascinating. I think this is something made up by the show. There has to be something to complain about. It's like this one episode where there was a clear winner among the three houses. There were no real negatives. So the "conflict" was that the wife wanted a house with some projects that needed fixing, and the house didn't have any. It was silly and distracting.

Edited by peggy06, Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

Yeah, I think when the houses or location are interesting, they don't need to whip up imaginary gripes in the house hunters like "we want a project" or "it has to have ___." And then usually they pick some other type of house.

The Michigan couple griped about 'seeing the neighbors' but there was a nice hedge row, tall trees, and you had to squint to see the neighbor's house. It does get tiresome and make them look either paranoid or egotistical.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

What is it with house hunters and their fear of neighbors? Were they raised feral and afraid they may go insane around other humans? Or do they think their lives are so fascinating that their neighbors won't be able to stop themselves from watching their every move like a studio audience?

Maybe they have neighbors like the people who live behind me. Theirs is the a 2 story house, and as such, from their bedroom windows, they have a birds eye view of our back yard, and the back of the house. They have a kid who's a wierdo and sits in the window watching us when we're outside having a cookout, or playing with the dog or whatever. I had to put a blind that I can shut on the kitchen window, because one night I glanced out, and I saw that little creepo sitting in his window watching the back of my house, and seeing the whole kitchen. But other than that, if you have decent neighbors, I don't see it as a problem.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Maybe they have neighbors like the people who live behind me. Theirs is the a 2 story house, and as such, from their bedroom windows, they have a birds eye view of our back yard, and the back of the house. They have a kid who's a wierdo and sits in the window watching us when we're outside having a cookout, or playing with the dog or whatever. I had to put a blind that I can shut on the kitchen window, because one night I glanced out, and I saw that little creepo sitting in his window watching the back of my house, and seeing the whole kitchen. But other than that, if you have decent neighbors, I don't see it as a problem.

It could of course be a phase. My cousin and I used to play spy or detective games and pretend our next door neighbor was engaged in nefarious activities. Our attention span was pretty short and we would get bored very quickly since nothing of interest happened.

People with neighbors though don't tend to do anything particularly interesting - at least without the curtains closed so that they can't be seen. LOL.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I had to put a blind that I can shut on the kitchen window, because one night I glanced out, and I saw that little creepo sitting in his window watching the back of my house, and seeing the whole kitchen.

Oh, that is creepy! I can't imagine what he would find so fascinating to watch - taking things out of the fridge, cooking, cleaning the counters...lol. Unless you do all that naked?

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Just saw the episode with Tommy Chou who we were told is a 26 year old internet marketing millionaire who likes to party. He had a house in Las Vegas and was looking for a second house in Hollywood. He saw the houses with his interior designer and had a budget of a million. He ended up buying the half million fixer upper and dumped hundreds of thousands into renovations. It was a 2010 episode.

The news has lots of items about California real estate losing significant value over the past few years. In the Chou episode, it was surprising how little one gets for a million bucks. I get that there are pockets of real estate that does better than others, but this episode and other recent ones from all over the U.S. seems to depict over priced houses that simply do not reflect the current realities. It's as though HH is trying to do its bit to prop up prices.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I had to put a blind that I can shut on the kitchen window, because one night I glanced out, and I saw that little creepo sitting in his window watching the back of my house, and seeing the whole kitchen.

Oh, that is creepy! I can't imagine what he would find so fascinating to watch - taking things out of the fridge, cooking, cleaning the counters...lol. Unless you do all that naked?

BWAH!!

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

The news has lots of items about California real estate losing significant value over the past few years. In the Chou episode, it was surprising how little one gets for a million bucks. I get that there are pockets of real estate that does better than others, but this episode and other recent ones from all over the U.S. seems to depict over priced houses that simply do not reflect the current realities. It's as though HH is trying to do its bit to prop up prices.

Location, location, location. While all real estate prices are down from their high, the really distressed areas of Southern California are in the further out locations. Real estate in the hills, the west side and the closer in sections of the Valley are still very expensive.

That said, you couldn't pay me to buy a house right on Laurel Canyon - beyond the business of the street and the noise, it's a hassle for people to park and sometimes getting out of your garage is problematic. However, the more desirable homes which are on streets off Laurel Canyon would have been considerably more expensive.

ETA - And the recent episodes have shown a lot of what I would consider to be dirt cheap homes in places like Texas, Detroit etc.

Housing in the metropolitan areas of NY, Boston, San Francisco, San Jose, DC are down but not over priced since they reflect the fair market value in their locations.

Edited by yslchyc, Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I just saw a tiny bit of an episode last night. I'm sure it was a repeat and was wondering if anyone could provide any more info. It was a couple living in Paris looking for a larger space. She was American and he was French. They had little kids. Their budget was a whopping $4 million! Was just wondering what the back story was and what they ended up with. Does anyone remember this episode?

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I just saw a tiny bit of an episode last night. I'm sure it was a repeat and was wondering if anyone could provide any more info. It was a couple living in Paris looking for a larger space. She was American and he was French. They had little kids. Their budget was a whopping $4 million! Was just wondering what the back story was and what they ended up with.

I think it was new, actually. I missed what he did for a living but the voiceover talked about how long they had saved. They ended up with the biggest one that needed the renovation to be finished (house 1). They paid $4.3 million. Yikes.

I tried to watch the domestic one in Fredricksburg but the woman's voice was so shrill and she was such a whiner about things like having a big tree in the back yard (afraid of raking leaves) that I deleted it without finishing it. Realized when she was shrieking about house 1 that I couldn't stand to hear her shriek through the other options.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Thanks so much for the info jcbrown. I only saw the first apartment, but as soon as they said it was being renovated and was over budget I somehow knew that is the one they would pick. LOL. Don't you know they were the ones already renovating it.

I would love to know what they did for a living. Maybe they had saved for a long time, but they didn't look that old---may 40? And I think they had two little tiny kids.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

While the Parisian couple might have saved money while they were living in the rental, I think the guy worked at a fairly lucrative job. He said at one point, he wasn't home that much. His English was also impeccable. I was thinking he might worked in the French equivalent of Wall Street. They reminded me of couples who live in NYC with that kind of huge income/bonuses and long hours.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

The Parisian couple never said what he did for a living. I was curious so I rewatched the beginning to see if I missed it. The only thing he mentioned was that he spent a lot of time at work so it'd be his wife spending most of the time in the apartment. They mentioned they had saved for the apartment and that 4 million was their cutoff. Well, obviously 4 million wasn't their cutoff because they went over and seemed to rapidly do renovations. Although that could just mean they've had that apartment for as long as they've had kids.

I am curious about what he does. I wouldn't be surprised if there was family money involved as well.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

I googled the Paris couple but haven't found anything (ex. an expat blog) , nor any type background info or mention of her in some type of local paper. I'm just curious as to what he does for a $4 mil budget, although as yslchyc pointed out, he likely works in finance of some sort.

I must admit, I almost love finding the backstories on the people featured on HHI more than the episodes simply to see how long they've been in their home/country, what was scripted into a storyline for tv etc. The Torino ep, for example, ....'American girl fall for an Italian ski bum', the latter- instead- a member of a very prominent Italian auto family, and they had since moved (IIRC before the show aired) and only used their Torino place for weekend getaways.

Edited by diorella78, Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:54 AM.

EllenOlenska

EllenOlenska

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

The paris couple had been renting for six years. He must be in finance or have some family money...or she did! She doesnt appear to be working so it looks like it's all on him.

Gorgeous apartments, the first one, halfway renovated or not, was so much the Paris apartment of my dreams. I now feel completely inadequate! (but hey, did anyone check to see if they had granite countertops or stainless steel appliances? because we all know those are the dealbreakers!)

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Be still my heart. House hunting in Paris with a four million dollars.

Loved the episode, and the apartments.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

The way I get my $1 worth of entertainment when I buy a lottery ticket is shopping for apts in London and Paris.

The European locations are so much more interesting to me than the tropical islands. I can see vacationing for a week in so-called "paradise." But real paradise to me is these urban European locales.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I think House Hunters International is a great way to travel around the world without leaving your home, and a great way to literally see how the other half lives. We think of so many of these places as simply places to visit that it completely slips our mind that people actually live there as well.

I'm always a little amused at how everyone's after story shows them thriving and happy in their new homes and new lives. Just once I'd love to see a couple/family complaining, saying "This sucks, it's not how I thought it would be!"

I've also noticed a lot of people leaving London/the UK for warm, sunny places like Dominica and Brazil. Is the weather really that bad there?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I don't need a lot of space and I can enjoy a good beach vacation but I seriously did not understand the choice the UK to Portugal couple made if they are truly moving there and not just looking for a vacation home. I mean it was a one bedroom and they they took half of their window enclosed veranda, the only place that really had a view to make a closet for the wife.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I have friends in England. They moved back after 3 years in the U.S. (a short-term assignment). They love to go to warm sunny places on holiday. But they have no interest in moving to one full time.

I do know that Brits often retire to warmer sunnier CHEAPER places (Portugal has always been a desirable retirement place). And now, any country that is part of the EU must accept emigres from other EU countries (which is why it is very very hard to emigrate to these places as an American retiree...you need proof of health insurance and an ability to support yourself).

Watched the episode tonight with the youth pastor and his wife in W.Va. He was insufferable. You'd think someone in that position might consider how he'd come across, scripted or not.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I've also noticed a lot of people leaving London/the UK for warm, sunny places like Dominica and Brazil. Is the weather really that bad there?

I imagine it depends on one's frame of reference and personal preferences; for me, yes, the weather is something that would keep me from living in the UK, even though there are a great many things I adore about several locations within its borders. But there are far more severe climates to be found around the world, so I don't imagine the percentage of residents looking for vaction/retirement/new homes in warmer climates is greater than found in other locales.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:00 AM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I imagine it depends on one's frame of reference and personal preferences; for me, yes, the weather is something that would keep me from living in the UK, even though there are a great many things I adore about several locations within its borders. But there are far more severe climates to be found around the world, so I don't imagine the percentage of residents looking for vaction/retirement/new homes in warmer climates is greater than found in other locales.

I think a certain percentage of the middle/upper middle class wherever located retires to milder climates. I think the distances in Europe make retirement to another country feasible especially when cost of living is factored in. But that's pretty equivalent to people in the US retiring to another state with a more moderate climate and often a cheaper cost of living. Lots of "snowbirds" from the North and even Canada would have modest condos in Florida. The distance from one place in Europe to another is pretty equivalent to traveling within the US and many people in Europe are much more familiar with travel to different countries whereas international travel in the US is much more expensive and time consuming - except of course for tourist destinations in Canada and Mexico for some people. Canada isn't much of a retirement destination for people in the US but I knew quite a few people in Southern California who had homes in Baja.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Finally watched the Paris episode. I love what they did with the kitchen. And that was a fabulous apartment But I do think I'd have chosen the third place (but then, I don't have two kids and the possibility of going 300k over budget!). I love that neighborhood, even with all the traffic. The river and Tower views were amazing and the courtyard view from the bedrooms was lovely and peaceful.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I seriously doubted that the 3rd place's kitchen and master would be up to the Paris wife's standards, even though it appeared someone was renovating to move in. She gave it lip service, only. Moreover, it was obvious (IMHO) they'd already begun their reno on the first place. In addition - couldn't see them selecting a unit fronting on that busy street, especially on a lower floor - Eiffel Tower notwithstanding.

It's my understanding that Paris prices have risen 40% since '05, including the higher priced homes. That prevents almost everyone from saving enough (even over 5-6 years) to purchase and/or start at their level, no matter what they do. In all likelihood, one or both of them had family money.

Agree, incidentally, they didn't mention what he did.

Edited by diydude, Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

Cristiane

Cristiane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

My parents lived near the Parc Monceau for four years in the early 1980s, and this episode brought back a LOT of memories for me. They had a comparable apartment (rented by his company) that they got via a lucky break - a co-worker had just renovated his apartment in a stunning Art Nouveau building when he was transferred and my parents reaped the benefits (American appliances, new plumbing, erc.) God, that was a gorgeous apartment. I'm sure it would cost around $4 million today.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

I saw the Paris one too and was so really happy to look at 4 million dollar apartments. Does anyone know how taxes, or apt fees work for European apartments? Do they have homeowners dues? Taxes? Just curious if they don't and that's why the price seemed so high to me.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

NYC2007..I know in Italy, at least, there is always a condo fee (for 'cleaning and maintenance') which may or may not include garbage collection fee. As for homeowner taxes, I assume they are relatively steep as are most taxes in Europe, and probably include both an ownership and residency tax.

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

It's my understanding that Paris prices have risen 40% since '05, including the higher priced homes.

Beyond that, I don't understand Americans who are willing to get hosed with the Euro! Yes; Paris is truly magical...but the price of magical is rather high in France.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

My guess is, the people who do in fact end up buying a house with guest room or rooms, do have a history of frequent overnight guests, or perhaps grown children they know will travel to visit.

Yes, this. The type of person who buys a vacation home is obviously a traveller, and it's my experience that travellers tend to hang out with other travellers and/or were raised by travellers. I have visited places specifically because of family weddings for the opportunity to see somewhere new. I'm waiting for a sister to move to Kenya so I can visit her there.

Re: the large yard. Again, it's probably experience. If the HHer's kids like to run around outside, they'd want a large yard. We have a huge yard and the kids were always out there - soccer, volleyball, we had a massive sandbox, swings, treehouses. Great fun. If you buy it (and make them go outside) they'll use it.

They love to go to warm sunny places on holiday. But they have no interest in moving to one full time.

I don't understand HHers who want to buy a place they enjoyed vacationing in, but that's them. I like to visit new places, not go to the same one over and over.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I was just watching HHI (2010) London. The buyers negotiated the London flat for $150,000 less then the asking price. What? Why would the seller(s) taken that much off the asking price or are these #'s made up?