Dateline

• Please log in to reply

2868 replies to this topic

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:11 AM

Did anyone see last night's episode with the family that had the messy house? I cannot believe that that guy had the garage that messy for eight freakin' years! If I were her, I would have divorced the SOB and let him get swallowed up by all his junk.

But then, I think that it was partly her fault as well. If she wanted something done, such as the tile between the door in the kitchen, and he didn't do it, she should have done it herself.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:08 AM

Yeah, the husband was a horrible packrat, and extremely passive-aggressive to boot, but the wife was an unrelenting, shrill nag. They deserve each other.

splitchick59

splitchick59

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:25 PM

This "Children for Sale" episode is disturbing. They show this 15-year-old pimp in Cambodia (who refers to oral sex as "yum yum" and intercourse as "boom boom") with his 8-year-old "workers". I mean, even R. Kelly would be disgusted at some of this. Ewww. Not to mention the American assholes who go there, especially the one moron who bragged to the camera.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 1:12 PM

Did anyone else watch the interview with David Gest? Man this guy is a whiner! I don't necessarily doubt that Liza went berserk and smacked him or punched him, but get her to rehab and shut up about it. As soon as they said he received "injections", I knew it was botox before they ever said it. This guy looks more plastic than a Ken doll, but with a flabby body. Its a good thing he always wears those sunglasses because this is a face only a mother could love. He also sounds VERY controlling and probably thinks he's more powerful than he really is. He kept saying he was the one that brought Liza back and told her she was fat and to get it together. Seems very abusive both ways to me.

Liza's singing voice sounds hideous. Shut up, the both of ya!

Edited by katymo, Feb 7, 2004 @ 1:13 PM.

patris

patris

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 7:48 PM

Word on the suggestion that David Gest Just. Go. Away.

My very favorite part was when he displayed the "scratches" on his stomach. For pete's sake, man, they're STRETCH MARKS! I laughed out loud at that, for sure.

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 7:58 PM

re: David Gest. I'm just glad that Dateline has gotten that episode out of the way because now I know that that NBC will no longer be showing that Dateline commercial featuring Gest and Liza French-kissing. Eww! Eww! Eww!

IcyLuna

IcyLuna

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 10:53 AM

I couldn't even watch the whole interview. I still feel justified in ranting about it though. I'm probably scarred for life now. Just when I thought I'd never have to see that wedding kiss again, NBC trots it out during the interview. I don't watch much NBC, so, I didn't have to see any of the comercials. I should have known it was coming. However, I was just too distracted by the train wreck that is David Guest to think rationally. We should be the people to sue David Guest.........not Guest suing Liza.

He seemed very narcissistic and controlling to me too. He definitely thinks he's more powerfull than he really is. I don't call producing Micheal Jackson specials to be the top of the entertainment industry. Micheal Jackson has been a joke for quite a while now. If anything, he was in control of the has been circuit.

I don't think that David Guest is Homosexual though. I think he's Asexual. Gay people act normal. This guy is sexless and strange.

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 9:25 AM

Did anyone else catch the piece last night (2-8-2004) on the guy who had the dungeon where he kept the women and would rape them every day? That was probably one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I was squirming big time when they showed that video of him dancing and rapping with that one girl he was holding captive. Definitely one fucked up guy.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

Huge, huge word. I was just telling some friends about that at work today. I could not believe that guy. He was totally unable to comprehend that what he did was wrong -- and yet he looked so normal and harmless. It bothered the crap out of me.

I couldn't believe that a story like that hadn't received huge national attention. Why hadn't we ever heard about this guy before? I also really wanted to sucker-punch those cops -- fuckers couldn't even be bothered to investigate because the victims were society's throwaways.

IcyLuna

IcyLuna

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 6:53 PM

I was going to watch the Grammy's but cought this instead and couldn't turn it off. If that dungeon story had been a movie, I would have said that it was unbelievable and unrealistic. The fact that it was real is so scary.

queasy, I think that's exactly the reason why this didn't recieve national attention............these victims were people that the the media didn't think the country would care about because they were considered "throwaways". You can bet that if this had happened to upper middle class ladies then every news media outlet would have covered it into the ground.

I felt nothing but rage towards the "dungeon master" as he was referred to. I don't understand how a person can become so disconected from reality. Sometimes I can work up sympathy even for people who do terrible thing. This wasn't one of those times. I think he's evil.......and I don't use the word lightly.

I also felt a little anger toward the police. It sounded like they were blaming the victim who actually did come foward because she "didn't give them enough to go on." That's just the way I took it. I think she did a pretty good job. She came foward. She told the truth. She was only a year off on the year of the car. She had an excelent description of the man who held her captive. She called back to check up on the case. What more could she have done? It didn't seem like the police cared to begin with. She wasn't a priority. Then to add salt on the wound, an asshole cop comes on TV and makes it sound like it was all her fault the guy wasn't cought sooner because she didn't have enough information.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

Ahhhh this guy really terrified me! I honestly don't know if he really thought he didn't do anything wrong or if he was putting one over on everyone. I would say he didn't think he did anything wrong, but in court he cried to the judge that he's truly sorry and then in the interview totally denied it! What a sick fuck. Sexual frustration can suck I suppose, but come on couldn't he find some OTHER solution rather than kidnapping, locking girls up for months/years and raping little girls? Ick ick ick!

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

She was only a year off on the year of the car.

That was my biggest (but not only) criticism about how the police handled that. I think she told them the year model was '74, but it was really a '75. The police, at minimum, should have known that cars purchased in one year can actually be next year's model and searched that year as well.

Siona

Siona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 1:47 AM

edited because I'm an idiot who can't tell the difference between dateline and primetime

Edited by Siona, Feb 17, 2004 @ 1:54 AM.

FeverDog

FeverDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 5:54 PM

Does anyone have more detailed information on the OJ Simpson interview? I heard a promo this morning during "Today," but have searched the Internet and come up with nothing re: date/time/details.

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

The date and time are tonight. As far as content, I have no idea, but TV Guide had this blurb.

Today's Katie Couric has nabbed what NBC is calling an "exclusive" interview with O.J. Simpson for tonight's Dateline NBC. That's odd, because I could have sworn Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren just scored her own O.J. sit-down, during which the Naked Gun star teased his straight-to-DVD prank show, Juiced. "It's a takeoff on something called Punk'd," he said. "It's me... 'juicing' people." Both interviews are timed to the 10th anniversary of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman's juicing.

missbebe

missbebe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 1:16 AM

I watched a bit of the OJ interview and the man just makes me physically uncomfortable to watch. If other people were not in the room I would have feared for Katie Couric's safety. He just exudes bad vibes.

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 10:15 AM

I didn't catch the O.J. interview. Did he and Katie review the progress he's made on tracking the "real killers?"

RedheadNYC

RedheadNYC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 12:22 PM

Yeah, he said a lot of people were trying to help up until about three years ago, but once they had to go to court a few times to gain access to some phone records, they decided it was just too hard.

Edited by RedheadNYC, Jun 5, 2004 @ 12:24 PM.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

OJ Simpson is the scum of the Earth. It takes a special kind of asshole to speak about Nicole, her family and the Goldmans the way he did on this show being the one that killed them. Every comment made me want to smack him, Katie would ask a question and OJ would get pissed off. You can tell what kind of temper the man has and he tries to pass himself off as this innocent poor famous person. What pisses me off is like the world turns the other way while this guy lives it up, doesn't work, doesn't pay what the court ordered him to pay, dates hot women (still!) and just does what ever the fuck he wants. I realize there's a double jeopardy thing (which is complete shit), but he got away with killing 2 people brutally. It's like everyone's in on the secret and nobody talks about it. Fuck. him.

blue111moon

blue111moon

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

OJ is one scary, self-involved, angry, narcissistic little man. He alternately laughed/smirked and got angry/blustered his way through the entire interview. He gives out seriously creepy and ugly vibes. I would not want to cross his path, ever.

The thing that got to me most was how he said that he has never had even one discussion with his children about the murders, EVER. He backed t his up by saying that the psychologists and psychiatrists know best how to handle it, so since they never talked to him about it, he never addressed the subject with them either. But... they were in the house when their mother and her friend were brutally murdered, their father was accused and tried for the crime and it's been in the media from day 1 until now, 10 years later. And they've never talked about it as a family, not even once? I can't even fathom that! I admit I've had fleeting thoughts over the years wondering if one or both children woke up, saw/heard something and went back to bed to hide. Then blocked it out because they were so young. Or maybe they are scared of him and scared to even consider it so they never wanted to bring it up to him. Considering they spend time with him and with Nicole's family too, the stress level must be unbelievable. I have heard the phrase "ignoring the elephant in the room" but this takes that to a new, bizarre level. Thoughts?

The way he talked about Nicole (trying to publically push blame for their problems on her, after her death, etc.) and the Goldmans was just disgusting. He was pissed off saying straight out he would never pay them a dime unless he was forced, and if that means he can't work then he won't work in order to get out of it. He angrily badmouthed them and yelled about how he can't make it any clearer.

If he was hoping that this would somehow invite public sympathy he's even more delusional than I thought, because the whole thing came off really bad.

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 1:14 PM

If other people were not in the room I would have feared for Katie Couric's safety.

If only.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 1:23 PM

What pisses me off is like the world turns the other way while this guy lives it up, doesn't work, doesn't pay what the court ordered him to pay, dates hot women (still!) and just does what ever the fuck he wants.

A few years ago there was a magazine article in Glamour, Cosmo or Marie Claire (one of those chick mags) about OJ's new girlfriend. It was written with interviews by her parents and friends. First of all the girl was the spitting image of Nicole. Also, it seemed very obvious that she was being beaten. Friends were terrified. She kept trying to break up with him and he wouldn't let her. Once she showed up with a black eye and told her mother to tell no one that she was there.

OJ is one scary dude. Why interview him? It's not going to serve any purpose but show the world again and again what a deranged lunatic he is.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2004 @ 9:42 AM

Maybe that's why they showed it.

I have to say that responsibility for raising women unwilling to be in relationships such as this falls equally on the shoulders of parents of boys and girls. Female children have to be shown and told in words and actions that they are deserving of more than whatever scraps the first pimply fifteen year old misogynist that cops a feel playing seven minutes in heaven throws at her and male children have to be taught as well to respect women and how to not be a budding misogynist.

While I believe some parents are a cause of this type of woman, I wouldn’t lay it all at their feet. I would bet that the very large majority of these women have a history of childhood abuse whether it’s sexual, physical or emotional. If it was the parent doing the abuse then yeah, it’s their fault, but if not you can only blame the abuser. There are also the type of women who think they will be the one who can ‘fix him.’

I realize there's a double jeopardy thing (which is complete shit)

It wouldn’t matter anyway, the problem was the sloppy police work, more than the prosecution, at least that has always been my understanding.

He was pissed off saying straight out he would never pay them a dime unless he was forced, and if that means he can't work then he won't work in order to get out of it.

Seems to work for my ex-husband and child support.

Edited by Phred62, Jun 11, 2004 @ 9:43 AM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 9:32 AM

I posted more about this in the "Hardball with Chris Matthews" thread, but did anyone see his interview with Ron Reagan last night?

Telia

Telia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

I must rant on this show I saw today or I'll explode.

I'm pretty sure I was watching a rerun today titled "Waiting For Ricky". Now, this kid ran away, barely talked to his family or anything and got sullen about anything he was interviewed about. Normal teenage behavior right? NO. My gawd, this kid was such a freakin' brat, and he had the nerve to try to be "punk" with Wierd Al Yankovich a la Coolio inspired rubber band twists. Then, after his extended leave from his family in which he barely talked to them (though they tried to stay in touch constantly), he came home for Christmas. Just. To. Get. Presents. Then he left, just grabbed his bag o' stuff and left. Tool. I know he was reformed by the end, but geez he just made me wanna slap some sense into him the whole show.

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 8:25 PM

The kid was a total brat! I couldn't believe, though, that the parents never got any control over him (apparently) once he came back. They just kind of accepted that he floated in and out at will. The whole family needed to negotiate it over therapy or something. The kid had such flat affect in all the interviews that I assumed he was depressed but nobody ever caught it.

gossipgirl

gossipgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 11:24 PM

I kinda felt sorry for the kid because it's hard being a teenager, but he really was a brat, but his mom let him get away with so much crap that he was always seeeing how far he could take things. I'm glad he changed his life.

Did any one see the 2nd hour of DL it had a story about The Son of Sam murders. It was really scary and just the thought that other killers might be out there scared the bejesus out of me.

DesiJ

DesiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

I hardly ever watch this show. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ever watched it. The correspondants, if that's what they are, bug the hell out of me.

Tonight I'm flipping around the channels, and I land on Dateline for a second. The story tonight is about Aron Ralston, the guy that cut his own arm off to free himself when he was trapped by a boulder. Good God, I was absolutely transfixed throughout the entire episode.

I remember reading about this after it happened, but hearing him talk about it...it was just incredible.

He and Tom Brokaw went back to the canyon and went through what happened. I started crying when Aron broke down when talking about carving his own epitaph in the rocks.

Also, and I didn't know this, he had a video camera with him and during the ordeal he taped messages to his family. He asked Dateline not to show the video because it upset his family and friends to see it, but they did play the audio.

I thought this guy's courage was very impressive when I'd read about what he had done, but listening to him talk about it, and what an appreciation he has for the second chance he's been given, I'm even more impressed with him.

Anyone else see this?

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

I watched all two hours and it really was mesmerizing wasn't it? I had heard about it before too and was like wow, that must be hard. Then they wen't through it thoroughly with each detail and I gained a whole new respect for the guy for exactly what all he had to do to survive. I didn't know he had taped it either, what a terrible thing to watch again.

I was really impressed at his knowledge of the human body, to know exactly which bones to break in order to be able to cut through the rest of the arm. When they were describing cutting through tendons and everything, oh lord that was terrible. I felt so bad for the guy. He does really seem to have a new appreciation for everything he has learned form his experience.

I was amazed that he lost 40 freaking pounds in 6 days time! Then having to hike in the hot sun with no food or water, bleeding profusely. My god. I thought it was cool what he did with his arm afterwards, kind of a closure on it. Go Aron!

JeniMull

JeniMull

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2004 @ 12:06 AM

I'm so glad others felt a need to post after watching that, too - I was really drawn into Aron's story (heck, I might even buy the book). It was amazing to see those stains on the canyon wall and watch his reaction as he returned. Hard to believe he is only 28!

A very moving and inspirational story. I'm glad I watched.