One Life to Live

• Please log in to reply

127156 replies to this topic

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

I'd better write down realhousewife Alexis B's air-date/s so I can skip those episodes. She is a nasty, dull, smug, vile excuse for a human being who spoiled RHOOC for me as an occasional guilty pleasure. Why can't GH stick to stunt-casting soap alumni from their own past (or OLTL's) ? Or would that be too relevant to ongoing story? Appearances by "reality stars" outside of their own shows are the infected appendix of entertainment. I wish talk shows would stop interviewing these self-obsessed morons and cameos within actual properly scripted entertainment ought to be a no-go. I can think of several ex-OLTL'rs who could make a brief stop on GH and drive a lot of story for the alumni who've been given contracts and equally or even more so, there are many former GH characters who would also be a delight.

Anthrorebel

Anthrorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Deadline.com is saying The Revolution is cancelled and GH is saved....for now.

Also, on TVGuide and the Washington Post. I am really happy for the fans of GH which was my soap throughout the 80s and early 90s. Not so much since then. That said, I am sick that my show was canceled for the crapfest that was the Revolution which could not even survive for 4 months.

And while GH has been marginally better (emphasis on marginally) since RC/FV took over, they still have not fixed the major problems with that show. So I still might not have a soap. Holding out to see what happens when Howarth starts.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Now what was that Fronzy was running around telling everybody? Oh yes, no one wants to watch soaps anymore, they want talk shows, all talk shows, all the time. Hahahah!

fractal

fractal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I wish One Life to Live were the temporary show to fill the gap left by The Revolution this summer. Would be nice if it were just a summer show. I guess now Cartini will bring on more OLTLers. Although, if I were not a fan of OLTL, I would be wondering what OLTL was about as they seem to have a lot of screamy rage muffins.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Today I just hapened to get home about 5 minutes to 1 (central) and I got excited because I was just in time to see OLTL live. Then I realized it wasn't on. It's been a long time since I thought like that...

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Yeah, it's nice schadenfreude to see the Rev get cancelled, but it's a hollow victory. OLTL's still not here.

I am happy that GH is continuing though. I still want Blair back on more than anything, and for Sonny to die and also a pony.

Addison Dewitt

Addison Dewitt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

Latest crazy rumor from DD. I won't spoiler as I think it's silly and not going to happen:

A Reunion Show is possible for OLTL.

Really? Really? OMG. If they'd do that, the goal of these guys is pretty obvious. They want their show back and think they'll have one last chance to show how viable it is and how they can still make it work. And maybe they'll throw in a Housewife to show Andy how they're team players.

I have no doubt that with whatever extra time they have, GH will be more and more OLTL. But a reunion show?

I think RC and FV better get off Twitter now. The GH fans will be Todd-level crazy. As they should be.

Personally, I'd be dancing a jig...is that wrong? I don't care. I miss my girl Viki and my boyfriend, that GILF, JVD's Clint!!!

BTW, I'm more sure than ever that KDP will be back, fairly soon, and is headed right back to Todd. Ratings and support are more important than ever. They need the OLTL audience as the clock's a-ticking and GH people aren't working. They know she's a draw and can lend a lot of support for them. It's the easiest route at this point. I'd think Viki and Bo wouldn't hurt, but Blair's ready to go with their stories. TSJ is a given, even though I'm not a fan. They need a fast turnaround.

Edited by Addison Dewitt, Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:13 AM.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

DamnDingTong hates Tea Delbitcho (hee!)

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I'm more sure than ever that KDP will be back, fairly soon, and is headed right back to Todd. Ratings and support are more important than ever.

Seeing as ratings dropped when KdP was guesting on GH, "ratings and support" isn't the best argument to make for her return, or for any OLTLer, for that matter.

Before they hire a single solitary other person, they need to get rid of the Toxic Trio* pronto. The should be their number #1 priority, because only that will lure back disaffected GH fans that were driven away by Guza Hospital.

The number #2 priority should be to bring back as many popular GH vets as possible. Ingo Rademacher and Tristan Rogers should be topping the list, but there are plenty more that could/should be brought back.

Then they can think about bringing on more OLTLers.

On the other hand, an OLTL reunion show is an awesome idea and I hope it comes to pass. (Only without any Fords, please).

* - That would be Sonny, Jason, and Carly, for those keeping score at home.

Edited by tam1MI, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

If they did a OLTL reunion show and included some characters not on the show at the very end (okay, Max & Gabrielle are the ones I want most), I would be there SO fast.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

If they did a OLTL reunion show and included some characters not on the show at the very end (okay, Max & Gabrielle are the ones I want most), I would be there SO fast.

If they do go forward with some kind of OLTL reunion show (which, as much as I'd like it, seems like a baaaad idea - staging a reunion on another soap whose fans are already annoyed by the influx of characters from the canceled show), it's likely it will only be people connected to Todd/Starr/John/Tea (so Viki, Blair, Victor, Tomas, Dani, Natalie, maybe Clint, etc.).

Not that I wouldn't love to see Max and Gabrielle (and, from my own selfish wish list, Kyle and Fish).

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

(and, from my own selfish wish list, Kyle and Fish).

They're two characters who would actually fit in decently on the GH canvas. Kyle could get a job at the hospital (with Robin's "death" they're down a doctor), and Fish could be the new tech guy the PCPD brings in to combat Spinelli's mob tech work. With John on the canvas, it would seem like a natural fit, at this point, for him to say to Mac "well I know a guy from my old department who would run circles around whatever work Spinelli is doing for Sonny and Jason."

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Sorry.

Edited by dubbel zout, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

Rayman

Rayman

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

They're two characters who would actually fit in decently on the GH canvas. Kyle could get a job at the hospital (with Robin's "death" they're down a doctor), and Fish could be the new tech guy the PCPD brings in to combat Spinelli's mob tech work. With John on the canvas, it would seem like a natural fit, at this point, for him to say to Mac "well I know a guy from my old department who would run circles around whatever work Spinelli is doing for Sonny and Jason."

KerleyQ, I thought the same thing in the past. They'd fit right in, especially since Kyle was a trauma doctor.
The only problem is that adding more characters to the canvas outside of Sonny's World de Mafia doesn't seem to be high on TIIC's agenda.
Which is too bad...I miss the guys and their lil Soda Pop.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

A gay couple, let alone one with a baby, is way too progressive for GH.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

One year ago today. I can't believe everything that has happened since then! Even so, I'll always miss this show (and AMC, even though I didn't watch it).

marifn

marifn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Short trial - small mercies I guess. Does anyone know when the next installment of Todd and co shows up?

hcs

hcs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

One year ago today.

I know I miss OL so much but then I think about how angry and frustrating the show made me and how I barely watched at times. but at least then when I was ignoring it I always had the choice to peek back in and see if Nat was getting her fire back or was she stuck mooning over McPrick or how badly TSJ was screwing up the character of Todd. Now I don't get that choice and the worst is knowing RC is giving the finger to OL fans by screwing up most of the HEA's on GH.
I wish their had been no PP and no characters moving on to GH and that LLanview had just ended.

Edited by hcs, Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:20 PM.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I was mainly reading recaps online back then--I was doing an internship and caught up with the show that way. And at first, I was able to accept the cancellation over time, as it seemed permanent and the show itself had been on shaky ground for awhile (I didn't know how it was starting to get better at the time until sometime later when I started watching regularly again). It was only after RH came back, the show began to improve/ratings started to increase, PP happened, the second cancellation happened, and the GH mess/backlash occurred that it truly hurt. I mean, life has certainly gone on since January 13th, of course it has. But still, I don't think the loss would have been as painful if the only blow had come on April 14th of last year.

...Well, except that Max didn't come back and Gabrielle and Al were still dead. But that's my own little pity party of one right there.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

Addison Dewitt

Addison Dewitt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Anyone else think this "reprieve" is bullshit?

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Yes.

I think that, if anything, they're trying to handle the cancellation differently to give the illusion of really really REALLY fighting for it. I think the failure of The Revolution only delayed matters. It didn't stop them.

BestestAuntEver

BestestAuntEver

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Yes.

I think that, if anything, they're trying to handle the cancellation differently to give the illusion of really really REALLY fighting for it. I think the failure of The Revolution only delayed matters. It didn't stop them.

ITA, I don't believe for for one second that they want to save the genre. I believe TPTB learned their lesson about puting on a daytime show that wasn't ready and are going to use this reprieve in an attempt to develop an alternative to GH that will be more viable than The Revolution.

As TnB fan it means my believed HEA will be muddied with whatever happens in PC until GH is cancelled. As a GH fan that is currently not watching, it means that I will have to what for my HEA for the Scropio-Drakes.

marifn

marifn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Thirding (or fourthing) this. I didn't see anything that specified the length of the renewal which i took to mean "not cancelled at this exact time". If I had to guess, it would be that they are hoping GMA in the Aft sticks and they can use it for Katie's lead in. I hope they don't pull a bait and switch and give GH time to be properly wrapped up if they pull it.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

ITA, I don't believe for for one second that they want to save the genre. I believe TPTB learned their lesson about puting on a daytime show that wasn't ready and are going to use this reprieve in an attempt to develop an alternative to GH that will be more viable than The Revolution.

I figure it's two things. Partly what you've mentioned - that they want time to prepare a more viable show to replace it instead of rushing another Revolution in to fail in an epic fashion. But, it's also likely that they don't want Katie's show to suffer the "it replaced GH" backlash. So if they bring it on with all the talk of how Katie wanted GH as her lead in and they cancel the crappy performing Revolution while keeping GH on, it's all sunshine and roses for Katie's show, and Katie is the one they've invested a lot of money in, so she, more than any other part of ABC Daytime (outside of The View, maybe) needs to succeed. So they don't want to start her with the deck stacked against her by having her directly replace a beloved soap. Instead, they're painting her as a great supporter of GH and emphasizing that point by canceling The Revolution and giving its spot to GH. The reality seems to be, though, that they needed to give The Revoluton the boot, so they went on a PR offensive to make it seem like making a decent business decision was a huge magnanimous gesture on the part of the network (and Katie) towards the soap fans. Now, when they cancel GH in a year or so, it won't be for Katie to replace it, so they hope the backlash won't affect her show too directly. (I'm guessing their hope is that people will be so taken with her show that they won't ditch it once GH is canceled, even if they consider boycotting the other ABC shows.) From that point on, they can throw one cheap talk/reality show after another in that slot and spend less than they would on GH.

marifn

marifn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

So they don't want to start her with the deck stacked against her by having her directly replace a beloved soap.

I believe TPTB learned their lesson about puting on a daytime show that wasn't ready and are going to use this reprieve in an attempt to develop an alternative to GH that will be more viable than The Revolution.

It seems like they might actually be touchy about this - do they believe they're being boycotted by soap fans for real?

Addison Dewitt

Addison Dewitt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I don't see this show going past September- January the latest. I think GMAA will be fine at 2/1 central and they'll just never move GH and either put it at some obscure time no one will see it or dump it. I never see GH in that timeslot.

I think it's all smoke and mirrors to get their news show the timeslot with no one noticing. FV will use this time to just get his pilot in order for another outlet, if he can find it. And it won't look anything like GH.

I read on DD that they may even have some of the characters never leave Llanview but just show them there- as in cameos or something. That set off bells in my head. It said "two shows running parallel", meaning re-establishing OLTL IN GH proper. And the reunion show? THAT'S a pilot if I've ever heard. It screams "Look how popular our show is STILL and don't you want to run it?"

Geary and MB shouldn't be so pleased with getting OLTL people en masse onto their show, ala TV Guide today. It's the beginning of the end for them, if they all aren't doomed. Valentini will throw them overboard so fast, it will make their heads spin.

marifn

marifn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Geary said this? When I still live in dread of a self- indulgent Todd/Luke scene? (although I'd kind of like to see what Todd makes of Heather Webber, which means it will never happen)

Addison Dewitt

Addison Dewitt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

They're living in lala-land:

http://www.tvguide.c...ew-1046065.aspx

The OLTL gang will eat the show- It's gonna be Two Todds-polooza over there in June. That's probably when everyone else appears, as well. Notice how Logan says "and others". It's "go time"!! Let the invasion begin. The rumors now have Natalie joining Viki, Blair, SNV, and Tomas/Alcazar. Next up, David. Then Bo probably. Then they'll just move the damn show to Llanview and Nora will appear and so on and so on and so on...When Fumero shows up, it's over.

No time for them.

Edited by Addison Dewitt, Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:59 PM.

tessaray

tessaray

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

...Well, except that Max didn't come back and Gabrielle and Al were still dead. But that's my own little pity party of one right there.

I never saw Max/Gabrielle in their heyday but I really liked Bo and Gabrielle. Well, until that weird bit at the end of series.

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

The rumors now have Natalie joining Viki, Blair, SNV, and Tomas/Alcazar. Next up, David. Then Bo probably.

I'm fond of Vicki, I truly am, She anchored OLTL beautifully, even when her character was being marginalized as a tea-pouring dowager or on a crazy rampage but I have no interest in seeing her in Port Charles, Her joining some OLTL/ GH hybrid only works for me if part of the show is set in Llanview, otherwise that character needs to be retired.