More AI in the Media

• Please log in to reply

11324 replies to this topic

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 4:45 PM

Here is another Sanjaya interview.

I got to say that he is very grounded and mature for his age. There is a nice, but weak, voice somewhere under all that hair, but he needs a lot of coaching just to become an above average singer. This contest was just too big for him.

Bacon

Bacon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 8:45 PM

Slate's Idolatry recap. I think Judy Rosen wishes there was a hot boy to root for who is actually the best singer, because what else could explain her opinion that Jordin and Melinda are boring? Her take on Blake is hilarious though!

Is there anyone on earth less like Tim McGraw than Blake Lewis? A big, rugged guy like McGraw can pull off soppy songs like "When the Stars Go Blue"; his sheer physical presence serves as a counterweight to the song's sentimentality. Little blond Blake in his little argyle Ben Sherman sweaters ain't quite cowboy, and he turned the song into yet another Anglophile emo ballad, a style that's paying diminishing returns for the greater Seattle metroplex's finest white beatboxer. He was in the bottom three this week, and he deserved it. Someone get that kid another Jamiroquai song, STAT.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I was reading TV Guide(Eva Longoria on the cover) and they had a random bit on AI. In it they mentioned some of the AI styles and also that Haley has invited Melinda, Jordin and Gina to her wedding.

theatrehippy

theatrehippy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Sorry if the Sanjaya spoof offended anyone. I can't say that I thought of it as Sanjaya is gay so much as Sanjaya being like Michael Jackson. My bad, I don't always think things through.

Toastress

Toastress

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 9:27 PM

Haley has invited Melinda, Jordin and Gina to her wedding.

To sing?

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

As guests. I wonder if she invited anyone else they just listed those three.

catfrog

catfrog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

I loved that Slate article. The writer summed up my feelings on the show as well. And I completely agree with her that Melinda and Jordin are boring. It's been a bizarre, yet anti-climactic season this year.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

Poor ol' Sanjaya -- not! He's hobnobbing with the media heavies in DC: Sanjaya and his shiny locks

borderottie

borderottie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 10:06 AM

Is there anyone on earth less like Tim McGraw than Blake Lewis? A big, rugged guy like McGraw can pull off soppy songs like "When the Stars Go Blue"; his sheer physical presence serves as a counterweight to the song's sentimentality. Little blond Blake in his little argyle Ben Sherman sweaters ain't quite cowboy, and he turned the song into yet another Anglophile emo ballad, a style that's paying diminishing returns for the greater Seattle metroplex's finest white beatboxer. He was in the bottom three this week, and he deserved it. Someone get that kid another Jamiroquai song, STAT.

Truer words were never written.

Simon Williams

Simon Williams

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 3:22 PM

I've never thought of Tim McGraw as all that big and rugged. To me he has usually just seemed like a generic guy in a cowboy hat. If those are her standards for masculinity, then Blake isn't much different than McGraw, minus the cowboy hat.

I agreed with some of her points, but the article seemed like what a million people have already said a million times. Gee, Melinda is boring. Really?

I do agree with her that I liked the Jamiroquai song. That's almost enough to make me get over someone actually using the word "STAT".

Edited by Simon Williams, Apr 22, 2007 @ 3:27 PM.

Tylene

Tylene

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

I'm just surprised at how limited or knee-jerk the idea of gay can be. Sanjaya's sublime dorkiness or childlike demeanor never struck me as stereotypically gay, if there's such a thing. He's got a real uneffeminate side - he's got an aggression to him, a snarky humor. He is young and really strong. Now his looks are girly but a lot of straight guys look girly, and his choices certainly can be seen as gay-ish but also, flipped over, funny and punk. I get a stronger vibe of the latter than the former. He is or he's not, but to take his signifiers and say "gay" says many people are out of touch with the range of popular culture, especially outside the farm belt.

Thank you, Fleur, for saying that so eloquently. As a gay man who is too often accused of calling people gay, and always right (witness, in college, when I had to tell people that George Michael and John Travolta were gay), I have never gotten an especially gay vibe from Sanjaya. I'm not closed to the possibility that Sanjaya is gay (in an AJ Tabaldo kind of way), but I would say that Sanjaya's style, very reminiscent of Michael Jackson, coupled with his alternative masculine presentation (not especially "effeminate" in an Asian context) makes people talk prematurely. I do think people read him through a very western, white-guy-macho lens, and I see him much more as a momma's boy-made-straight who loves the nurturing presence of women but probably loves to date them as well. I'd sort of like to be wrong......

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 5:15 AM

MSNBC did an article about the top 6's possible future success. He thinks Melinda and Jordin (the next Kelly Clarkson! Looks like the producers' words are starting to be adopted) will be very successful.

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 5:23 AM

He thinks most of them will be successful. I wish he'd mentioned of the season four group, only two - first and second place - obtained record deals. Season five was an anomaly.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:15 AM

On the Ellen show, Ellen just announced that she is co-hosting Idol Gives Back on Wednesday with Ryan.

tamarai

tamarai

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:36 AM

Wow, loseresque, that should help! I'm no Ryan hater, but he could probably use a hand on that night, and I'm actually kind of giddy imagining the two of them co-hosting. Has he ever been on her show?

Edited by tamarai, Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:36 AM.

Mmm... Free Goo

Mmm... Free Goo

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

Hits Daily Double on the marketability of the remaining finalists, featuring more Jordin pimping.

I don't understand the tendency in the media to discount Blake because he's not a good enough singer to win a 'singing competition', yet praise Chris for being "current". WTF? I'm not even an especially big Blake fan, but I think Chris has even more obvious vocal flaws.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 12:28 PM

Mmm...Free Goo, what I've noticed this week is that a lot of people in the media have been ragging on Blake. It's what always happens when a frontrunner makes a mistake or stumbles or fails to live up to expectations. Or when media people, who have always hated him, see the stumble as an opportunity to say, "See I told you all he sucked!" If he comes back this week with a great performance, they'll change their minds (two weeks ago many were claiming he was the most marketable next to Jordin). It reminds me of Elliott last year - after he was awesome on Top 4 night, commentators suddenly predicted he would win. The next week, not so much.

I think given the right songs and genre (I'm thinking some indie stuff), Blake's gonna be fine. And if the world if looking for another JT, Chris should be fine as well. Marketability is so subjective; people in the media claim to be some sort of expert on it but it's something elusive (IMO). Slezak, last year, said Elliott would be the most marketable but Daughtry's actually the one selling the most. You never know what the world will latch onto. I think there's a market for all of them personally. But if they're looking for another Kelly, Jordin's the safe bet because she isn't too defined.

jewlmc

jewlmc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 1:28 PM

I like Ellen, but I really don't know about this. It could be perceived(and probably will be my media people that hate Ryan) that TPTB don't think Ryan can pull it off on his own.

borderottie

borderottie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 1:41 PM

Ellen + Ryan = a show I am much, much more interested in sitting through. They aren't afraid to bring on the snark.

Taxos

Taxos

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 2:27 PM

On the Ellen show, Ellen just announced that she is co-hosting Idol Gives Back on Wednesday with Ryan.

What? No Dunkleman? (snerk)

jewlmc

jewlmc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 2:29 PM

Nah.

Capable hosts only.

FleurFoursythe

FleurFoursythe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

Ryan Seacrest interviewed Ellen - real casually - on E or one of his shows prior to Ellen's Oscar hosting stint. They have a great rapport and compared outfits. Ellen thinks he steals some of her clothing ideas and she tries to steal his, and she admired his pants which first looked like jeans but turned out to be cords. They seemed to know each other pretty well. He was super supportive of her being host and told the audience she was going to kick ass. Their personalities "fit" on camera. She can be even funnier cause he's got the "nice" part covered.

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

Mmm...Free Goo, what I've noticed this week is that a lot of people in the media have been ragging on Blake. It's what always happens when a frontrunner makes a mistake or stumbles or fails to live up to expectations. Or when media people, who have always hated him, see the stumble as an opportunity to say, "See I told you all he sucked!"

Right. I've noticed the same, the idea he must have somehow been bad all along because he was in the bottom three.

There's nothing current about Chris. He's a clone of an artist who was established five or six years ago, Timberlake. He's also a terrible singer, and he's been called out repeatedly by Simon for bad singing. If they don't like Blake because he can't win a singing competition, then the idea of Chris being better is a joke when he hasn't been doing that either and he's already been in the bottom three twice.

The media always favors those the show wants people to love. This season, that's Jordin and Chris.

daisylove88

daisylove88

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:00 PM

The media always favors those the show wants people to love. This season, that's Jordin and Chris.

True that. The media is comprised of brainless twits.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:01 PM

More news about the show:

Press Release: "Bono will meet with the six AMERICAN IDOL finalists to talk about the work of ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History (www.one.org) and how the IDOL audience can help. The IDOL contestants also will perform American Prayer, a song written by Bono and Dave Stewart about the AIDS emergency in Africa.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:04 PM

The media is comprised of brainless twits.

Truer words were never spoken.

mickeyborden

mickeyborden

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:45 PM

American Prayer?

I guess separation of church and state truly is dead.

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:49 PM

Never mind.

Edited by Mamalita, Apr 23, 2007 @ 4:54 PM.

SpringIsHere

SpringIsHere

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

American Prayer?

American Idol is not a government entity.

eveningstar122

eveningstar122

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

American Prayer?

American Idol is not a government entity.

No, but America (Meaning the U.S.) IS. So in that sense, I can see where mickeyborden is coming from. I doubt the song actually has any specific religious references though, which is good, because IMO, the show should stay away from that. Religion is a polarizing topic and people with very diverse beliefs watch the show, so they shouldn't want to come off as favoring one over others. But aside from that...

The IDOL contestants also will perform American Prayer, a song written by Bono and Dave Stewart about the AIDS emergency in Africa.

There all kinds of wrongs in that sentence. Let's think this through. An incredibly tackily named song "American Prayer" written by two men from the Ireland and the UK about the AIDS situation in Africa. I mean...what? That doesn't even make sense!

Edited because Ireland and the UK are not the same thing, as PrimitiveWall so kindly noted

Edited by eveningstar122, Apr 24, 2007 @ 1:51 AM.