More AI in the Media

• Please log in to reply

11324 replies to this topic

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2007 @ 1:04 PM

Gwen and Akon are supposed to perform tomorrow. Yuck. I hate that song ("The Sweet Escape"). Can't they get Gwen's hot husband instead?

*WARNING* That site allegedly has spoilers for everyone for tonight's show that I don't believe for one second. But beware if you do look and don't want to know who is singing what.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

TV Guide is reporting that the torture of the hour long elimination show is coming up sooner than expected: it will start on April 11th.

Edited by mtlchickie, Mar 27, 2007 @ 2:01 PM.

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

Uncle Nigel dishes Idol dirt

Some highlights:
Ratings are down 10% for the performance show. They blame this on "Daylight Savings Time." HAH!
Uncle Nigel says "I think we have five or six of the best singers we have ever had" this season. I wonder who he's referring to? Actually, later in the article he specifically says that Jordin is improving and surprising him week after week. Also, apparently she auditioned for American Juniors a few years ago! Hah!
Tonight's episode is, in fact, "Artists that inspire Gwen Stefani." Sigh.
Nigel is happy whenever his shows are talked about, even if it's SNL making fun of Sanjaya. Hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?
Taylor Hicks is going to be on AI sometime this season, but Nigel hasn't heard his album. He's only heard Kelly's and Carrie's albums, as a matter of fact.

donkeykong

donkeykong

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 12:11 AM

Holy cow, this site about stopping sanjaya is hilarious. You can even by t-shirts. stopsanjaya.com

aprilsnow

aprilsnow

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 12:17 AM

Ouch. Websites, t-shirts, hunger strikes... Poor Sanjaya.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 3:11 AM

Ack.

Kellie Pickler hosting the 2007 CMT Music Awards Video of the Year Special on Apr. 9, giving fans a closer look at the eight videos vying for Video of the Year at the CMT Music Awards on Apr. 16.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

Idol race still open, says Uncle Nigel:

Don't crown Lakisha Jones -- or rival Melinda Doolittle -- the new American Idol just yet.

That's what Nigel Lythgoe, executive producer of the hit Fox series American Idol, told reporters yesterday during a telephone news conference.
When asked if the talent show hasn't already become a two-person contest, Lythgoe said, "I've seen the three divas -- if you remember, they were LaToya London, Jennifer Hudson and Fantasia [from Season 3]. And I've seen them cancel each other out."

So, he has become "wary" about early favorites, Lythgoe said.

"Don't forget, I know the results every week, so I can do my own equations, thank you. ... So, that's why I'm saying it is an open race at the moment."

Edited by Arabesque, Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:33 AM.

Issybee

Issybee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 7:56 PM

Anybody have a link to the radio show Nigel does on Results day? I haven't been to the site since last year. Thanks!!

Margarita

Margarita

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

The Top 10 is People's cover story for the April 9 issue; Jordin, Gina and Lakisha get full pages while the others get blurbs. Also included are blurbs about Idol Gives Back (yawn) and the Ryan/Simon stuff (double yawn). The contestant profiles are pretty interesting.

Temp7

Temp7

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Holding the "pimp spot" on CNN.com's homepage right now: Idol TV show contestant unites war-weary Iraqis

How Ryan will open the show next week: American Idol - winning Oscars, Grammies, and ending the Iraq War when congress couldn't.

Edited by Temp7, Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:22 PM.

soapboxhero

soapboxhero

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Since this is media-relatated....

anyone know what happened to votefortheworst.com? It's been dead for 2 days.

Dynamar

Dynamar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2007 @ 11:41 PM

anyone know what happened to votefortheworst.com? It's been dead for 2 days.

Came here looking for the answer to this myself. Last night when I tried to access the site, there was all of this funked-up code stuff at the top of the page that, IIRC, said something about 'defunct' or 'extinct'. The VFTW header and general template was visible, but none of the stuff usually on the home page, like mailbag or blogs.

RandomWatcher

RandomWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 12:48 AM

Votefortheworst is back up.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 8:56 AM

Choir director says Sanjaya holding back

But in Seattle, where Malakar sang with the Total Experience Gospel Choir, Wright and Malakar's family say the young man is holding back." He sings from the heart, and people who hear him can feel that heart and they become, many times, very emotional," said Wright, who has directed Malakar in her choir for at least three years. She can't explain the change in her young pupil, but says he "sounded down" during a recent telephone conversation she had with him.

"He has not shown America what he can do. That's what I said to him a couple days ago. 'I want you to give them the showmanship. I want you to give them Sanjaya's heart,'" she said.

Article about vocal coach Debra Byrd and another where she talks about some of the contestants and how she sings and dances in the office with Uncle Nigel and Ken

One of her main jobs is to help the singers master a song after they've picked one, which isn't always easy.

"Thursday is song-choosing day. We call it 'pajama day,' because we'll be there so long," she said. "It's frustrating and agonizing. People go into fetal positions."

Some singers make bad choices, but it's Byrd's job to help them learn anyway. "I know what's not a good idea, but we have to go along with the competitor," she said.

'It's so frustrating. I've even banged my head on the desk, walked out of the room, but there's nothing I can do or say about it," she said. "I have musician friends call and say, 'Why did you let that kid do that?' I have to. It's my gig."

The chairwoman of Berklee's Vocal Department watches Idol for the first time

Shapiro observed that Noone and Lulu offered far more helpful advice than anything offered by judges Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson. What’s more, she feels the show doesn’t offer a good example to aspiring singers.

“ ‘Idol’ gives kids in particular a distorted view of the performing arts, which is typical of TV,” she said. “Despite supposedly being a vocal competition, it actually downplays musicality and a vocalist’s true potential by making the physical performing the focus.”

Edited by Arabesque, Mar 29, 2007 @ 9:03 AM.

Donna All City

Donna All City

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

I picked up the new copy of People with the Top 10 on the cover. I only had time to scan the cover. It looks really nice! It's one of those fold-out covers that is divided into two pages:

Pg. 1

Pg. 2

never knew

never knew

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 3:54 PM

Aww, Blake's heartbreak? :( (Edit: OK, after reading the article, it sounds like his "heartbreak" is sexual frustration, lol.)

The cover pic is very cute. And...Melinda/Jordin/Blake Top 3, perhaps?

Edited by never knew, Mar 29, 2007 @ 4:17 PM.

Mmm... Free Goo

Mmm... Free Goo

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 4:18 PM

I'm sick of Haley's legs. They're probably why she made the cover pic. And I was wondering why Chris Daughtry was on the cover when he was on last season, but then I realized it was Phil. And that's a compliment. Also, Melinda has a visible neck for once!

Blake, I don't think blue balls really qualify as a heartbreak...

Edited by Mmm... Free Goo, Mar 29, 2007 @ 4:36 PM.

spacecitymarc

spacecitymarc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 4:44 PM

Mmm... Free Goo: I'm sick of Haley's legs. They're probably why she made the cover pic.

No complaints here.

Thing is, spectacular gams aside, I don't find Haley to be especially attractive. (She's not un-, though, certainly.) Whereas that shot of Melinda reminds me that I'm finding her prettier and prettier with every passing week.

SuraApril

SuraApril

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 4:58 PM

I'm sick of Haley's legs. They're probably why she made the cover pic.

There are two People covers.

Mmm... Free Goo

Mmm... Free Goo

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

There are two People covers.

If i'm not mistaken, isn't it a fold-out cover? The main cover that people will see on newstands is Jordin, Melinda, Blake, Phil and Haley, and you fold it out to see the others. I haven't heard of there being alternates.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 5:25 PM

Chris Sligh interview

He almost dropped out after his arrangement of Endless Love was trashed and he has pretty high praise for Sanjaya.

bellonaclub

bellonaclub

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 5:48 PM

If i'm not mistaken, isn't it a fold-out cover? The main cover that people will see on newstands is Jordin, Melinda, Blake, Phil and Haley, and you fold it out to see the others. I haven't heard of there being alternates.

The issue I saw in my grocery today had the Gina/LaKisha/Sanjaya/Chris1&2 cover, not the other one, so I think there are two different covers.

SuraApril

SuraApril

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

The issue I saw in my grocery today had the Gina/LaKisha/Sanjaya/Chris1&2 cover, not the other one, so I think there are two different covers.

The other cover.

Margarita

Margarita

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:24 PM

Chris Sligh interview

He almost dropped out after his arrangement of Endless Love was trashed and he has pretty high praise for Sanjaya.

Wow, he kinda comes across as an a-hole in that interview.

Out of the Blue

Out of the Blue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:44 PM

Gina looks good in that pic, Lakisha looks stupid, and Chris S looks like a woman. Jordin looks great, and Phil looks less creepy than usual.

Schaferhund

Schaferhund

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:43 PM

I'm sick of Haley's legs.

Hey, now, let's all keep our minds clear. No reason to get irrational and stuff, bad karma. Stay focused, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Wow, he kinda comes across as an a-hole in that interview.

QFT

jurist

jurist

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:48 PM

Is Haley trying to show us her bajingo (Scrubs reference) in that People cover? If so, there are a few more magazines that have her name written all over it. Antonella can provide her with contact numbers.

Edited by jurist, Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:48 PM.

twinkletows

twinkletows

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:50 PM

I'm totally sick of American Idle. I like the way it was done years ago on Star Search. The only thing wrong with that show was having Ed McMahon host it. It lasted an hour per week, plenty entertaining, and it didn't pre-empt peoples' favorite weekly shows constantly. Plus, at least McMahon was articulate and supportive to the performers. Someone should kidnap Cowerl and hold him in a cave till he's too ugly for tv. He's close now, so he wouldn't have to be held prisoner that long.

Whats with his "man boobie" massaging. Whadda perv.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 8:28 PM

I think some of these links may be posted in other threads but it's so all over the place that I decided to just put a bunch of links together here.

EW: Chris Sligh Interview

Ryan's Interviews with Chris Sligh, Gwen Stefani and Nigel Lythgoe

EW: On the Scene - the writer was in the audience on results night, where apparently some people got to stay for a performance of Akon and Robin Thicke which will be used at a later date (Blake, Chris R, and Lakisha were in the audience for the latter performance, as per an eyewitness on another board)

LA Times Showtracker - this writer was also in the audience for both performance and results nights

There are a bunch of Chris Sligh exit interviews in his thread as well. There are a lot of Sanjaya ones too but we know what those will say.

Konfusion

Konfusion

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Little blurb on the People site:

Will Ferrell is happily rocking an afro for his next film, the basketball comedy Semi Pro, but when asked at the Hollywood premiere of Blades of Glory which celebrity he'd love to swap tresses with, he immediately looked to American Idol's Sanjaya Malakar. "I love this Sanjaya kid, silky smooth," Ferrell gushed. "I'd love to run my fingers through it, if that's possible ... but I may get in trouble for it."

I seriously tried to come up with a response to that, but I can't.